We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Favorite film soundtracks or film songs

• Please log in to reply
387 replies to this topic

#41 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,505 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:19 PM

Then the Lord descended in the Cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Numbers 12:5

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#42 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,505 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:11 PM

Then the Lord descended in the Cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Numbers 12:5

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#43 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,645 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:04 PM

Merchant and Ivory's first American film, Savages, features an odd and amusing song/dance called "Stepping on the Spaniel" which I quite like. You can have a glimpse of it at around the 30 second point here:

#44 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,505 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:45 PM

John Wayne

#45 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Great Pumpkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:39 PM

To Sir with Love-Lulu

Goldfinger Theme-Shirley Bassey

#46 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:07 PM

Laura- Laura (1944)- Dick Haymes or Ella Fitzgerald

Gone with the Wind Suite- Max Steiner

Tammy- Tammy and the Bachelor (1957)- Debbie Reynolds

Pennies from Heaven- " " (1936)- Bing Crosby

I've Got a Pocketful of Dreams- Sing You Sinners (1938)- Bing Crosby

Goodbye Charlie- " " (1964)- Bobby Darin 

Put the Blame on Mame- Gilda (1946)- Rita Hayworth

This Happy Feeling- " " (1955)- Debbie Reynolds

Swinging on a Star- Going My Way (1944)

We Have Never Met as Yet- I Love Melvin (1953)- Debbie Reynolds & Donald O'Connor 

Buttons and Bows- The Paleface (1948)- Bob Hope 

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son- Presenting Lily Mars (1943)- Judy Garland 

The Hanging Tree- " " (1959)-  Marty Robbins 

In the  Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening- Here Comes the Groom (1951)- Bing Crosby & Jane Wyman 

High Hopes- A Hole in the Head (1959)- Frank Sinatra 

Oh, I also love the theme song for "Somewhere in Time." 

"Playing with matches, a girl can get burned." -Fiddler on the Roof 

#47 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,043 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:23 AM

Three of my favorite versions of songs never made into the film--but both are available to see & listen to in the "General Discussions" Forum (I'm on an old computer that won't cooperate when I try to post anything more than words, Blast it)

Ava Gardner's version of "Cant Help Lovin' That Man" is heartbreaking & on key--but MGM dubbed her anyway--is in the "Ava Gardner" thread.

Audrey Hepburn's version of "Just You Wait, Henry Higgins", is the one song where she didn't have to trill like a songbird & can be seen after the "Show Me" video, both cut from My Fair Lady (1964) when Warner Bros. decided to use Marni Nixon to dub Audrey Hepburn's songs--AH has the edge on comic attack & accent, IMHO--search "Show Me' in "General Discussions."

#48 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,505 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:07 PM

John Wayne

#49 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,505 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:20 PM

• film lover 293 likes this

John Wayne

#50 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,055 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:51 AM

I have several.  But, if you're referring to soundtrack RECORDINGS that are released for the general public or consumer market, the WORST, in my opinion, is the "hatchet job" donne by the label that released the OCEAN'S ELEVEN( 2001) soundtrack CD, which omitted a couple of the better pieces of music from that film.  However, as just a film soundtrack, I consider it one of the better ones in recent times.

I also dug the soundtrack for "That Thing You Do".

Going back to my dope smoking days( or, "daze" as my wife likes to call the time!)  I've often, and sometimes still do, just listen to the background music(or "score" as some would call it) of a movie.  Just sit there with my eyes closed and take in what the music is doing and how unique or "avant garde" it can sometimes be.  And in THIS category, I'd place:

THE WIZARD OF OZ;

ON THE WATERFRONT;

THE HUSTLER;

PAPILLON;

and, just about any film with a Franz Waxman score;

At the top of the list!

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#51 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,505 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:16 PM

• film lover 293 likes this

John Wayne

#52 Film Fan 50s 60s 70s

Film Fan 50s 60s 70s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:24 AM

The 2014 remastered Eric Serra soundtrack to 1994's Leon: The Professional

I checked Amazon first, and then decided to order it from Import CDs.

It really sounded good on YT, so I expect the CD to be wonderful!

Edited by TCMModerator1, 10 June 2015 - 07:05 PM.
video removed due to copyright concerns

Tombstone_Userbar.gif

Theater experiences that made the biggest impression: ~ Dirty Harry ~ Planet of the Apes (1968) ~ The Thing (1982)

Favorite Movies: The Godfather Saga ~ Leon: The Professional ~ The Pelican Brief ~ A Few Good Men ~ Tombstone

#53 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:53 PM

#54 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:54 PM

#55 emmvee

emmvee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:45 AM

This is just one of my favorites from 2005's Pride and Prejudice.

Follow your passion, follow your heart, and the things you need will come. - Elizabeth Taylor

#56 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:05 AM

#57 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,505 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:12 AM

John Wayne

#58 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

#59 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,505 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:02 PM

John Wayne

#60 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,505 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:56 PM

John Wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users