We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Which version do you prefer, An Affair to Remember or Love Affair?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,953 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 04:21 PM

The 1939 version is much better in my opinion, because we have the wonderful Madame Ouspenskaya during the middle section of the film. And I think Irene plays the character's malady a bit more sincerely than Deborah does.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

This is an interesting question and I wonder if the fact that one is in black and white and the other in color and widescreen has any bearing. I watched them back-to-back one time and I have to admit that "An Affair to Remember" seemed a little bloated to me after seeing the original, even though I was familiar with that one first and only saw the Dunne-Boyer version many years after. Maybe something about the character of Nicky too. For all Cary Grant's charm, the fact that the character was still so unformed so late in life may have worked against him. Boyer seemed younger, though I have no idea right now of their relative ages when they played the parts. I think I tend to agree with the OP that the 1939 version has the edge, but I will always love both of them.

I agree with your take here.   The Grant\Kerr version doesn't have as much charm as the Boyer\Dunne one IMO.

• TopBilled likes this

#3 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

This is an interesting question and I wonder if the fact that one is in black and white and the other in color and widescreen has any bearing. I watched them back-to-back one time and I have to admit that "An Affair to Remember" seemed a little bloated to me after seeing the original, even though I was familiar with that one first and only saw the Dunne-Boyer version many years after. Maybe something about the character of Nicky too. For all Cary Grant's charm, the fact that the character was still so unformed so late in life may have worked against him. Boyer seemed younger, though I have no idea right now of their relative ages when they played the parts. I think I tend to agree with the OP that the 1939 version has the edge, but I will always love both of them.

• TopBilled likes this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#4 GoodGuysWearBlack

GoodGuysWearBlack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

I have to go with Affair To Remember. Beatty just doesn't do anything for me.

s5kdaq.jpg

#5 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

I'll go with the Grant-Kerr version. Didn't the real-life couple, Beatty-Benning, do one too?

#6 averyleigh3

averyleigh3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

If you have ever watched Love Affair and An Affair to Remember , you would have noticed that they are strikingly similar, even the characters' preference for pink champagne. I personally love Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne's performance in Love Affair as compared to Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr's performance in An Affair to Remember. However, my friends seem to hold a different view.

In your opinion, which movie is better? Which leading lady do you think nailed her role the best?
-Thanks, and happy watching!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users