We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

let's hope the tradition continues with the Oct 21st animation TCM marathon

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Mario500

Mario500

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

It seems as though TCM will have an animation marathon this October, but three of the slots that night are still to be determined.

According to the official programming schedule for the Monday of October 6th, the slots were filled with "The Cartoons of Windsor McCay", "100th Anniversary of Bray Productions", and "Animation From Van Beuren Studios (the other programs chosen for this marathon are "The Adventures of Prince Achmed", "Gulliver's Travels" (the version released in 1939), "Magic Boy", and "The Phantom Tollbooth").

#2 mathewjohn

mathewjohn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:54 AM

hi I stayed up way past my bedtime on a work night to watch this (I get up at 5am)...and I drove over 20 miles to the home of friends to watch it since I don't have cable right now. Guess who is ordering cable/satellite with TCM in the package just because you did this. That's right,
and I look forward to future animation on TCM, not only in specials, but as fillers between movies. And. maybe they can do what PBS and ACM did years ago and create a nostalgic trip to the movies ala the golden age: Previews, a newsreel, a cartoon short, a short subject and a movie.

=====================================
http://www.kensingtonpodiatry.com/

#3 yelsha1990

yelsha1990

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

support and also this

http://www.tcm.com/t...o-Miyazaki.html

#4 Okcmaxk

Okcmaxk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

Hi TCM (and anyone who's reading), it's me. Recently I found an old block on TCM called "Cartoon Alley." It was very interesting and I wondered, "Why would they cancel it?" That's why I, and many other people who watch TCM, would like you to bring back "Cartoon Alley."

Get Tom Kenny, Jerry Beck, or even Bill Hader to host it. Bring back Looney Tunes, Popeye, Woody Woodpecker, UPA, etc. Every weekend show a 4 hour block of documentaries and movies about cartoons. For example, show a documentary about the Fleicher brothers, and then show "Gulliver's Travels." Have special events like Rare Cartoon Month, UPA Month, and Classics Month.

Please consider this, TCM. We would gladly do anything to make this come back. Thanks.

#5 Nocturnaloner

Nocturnaloner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

I'd love to see more animation on TCM, it's a crucial part of our film heritage, and too often overlooked. The holiday season is a great reason to show more classic animation! Thanks to TCM and Tom Stathes for the great job so far.

#6 nmetro

nmetro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:17 PM

I enjoyed last Sunday's presentation. Max Fleischer's "Gulliver's Travels" was an annual Thanksgiving treat growing up in New York in the 1960s. It was a very long time coming to see it on TCM. In regards to "Mr. Bug Goes to Town", it was 15 years, almost to the day, that this movie (titled as "Hoppity Goes to Town") was last shown on cable (AMC). Hopefully, both these classic movies find a regular home on TCM. Not only that, they are restored to their orginal glory.

The Fleischer brothers were overshadowed by Disney, but what their studio created was some of the best animation ever produced. From the middle of the silent age to 1942 they gave us Koco the Clown, Betty Boop, Grampy, Popeye the Sailor, Gabby, Hunky & Spunky and Superman. Not to mention their "Cartoon Classics" series.

One can create several programming blocks just concentrating on the Flescher Studios, the rotoscope technqiue and their ability to have cartoons with 3D depth. This is very apparent in many of the Black & White cartoons. Though, watch very closely the opening credits to Mr. Bug as the camera sweeps over New York City, the 3D, depth affect is very apparent.

Also, Jerry Beck is a must have to conduct what I would call "Animation Essentials" a companion to "The Essentials". Animation is much as part of the classic movies, as the movies themselves.

I look forward to future animation on TCM, not only in specials, but as fillers between movies. And. maybe they can do what PBS and ACM did years ago and create a nostalgic trip to the movies ala the golden age: Previews, a newsreel, a cartoon short, a short subject and a movie. .

I hope for TCM to continue presenting classic films, uncut and commercial free for many years to come..

Edited by: nmetro on Oct 26, 2012 7:19 PM

Edited by: nmetro on Oct 26, 2012 7:21 PM

Edited by: nmetro on Oct 26, 2012 7:25 PM

#7 mikechi

mikechi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

Those would all be good. I think that would just scratch the surface of what they can do. Ive always had a findness for Max Fleischer and would love to see something focusing on his silent work. Maybe they could focus on specific pioneering animators like Fleischer, Paul Terry, Winsor McCay, John Bray, Walter Lantz and maybe another could be specific important characters like Felix the Cat, Koko the Clown, Oswald the Rabbitt, Farmer Al Falfa.

#8 KipW

KipW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

Yes!! Jerry Beck's program was an admirable first step. How about a regular slot for animation on TCM? For a while, TBS was a place to go for classic Warners and MGM cartoons, and then it was the Cartoon Network, where Turner added to his phenomenal library of classic cartoons. Now where are they? All the stuff I used to watch is gone, and nobody knows what they're missing!

Here's a thought: package some regular slots in a "Matinee at the Bijou"-like recreation of what movies were like into the 1960s, with feature, shorts, and (most important) cartoons! But have a solid block of animation at some time like, oh, Saturday morning!

Short version, in all caps for no good reason: MORE CARTOONS!

#9 spadeneal

spadeneal

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

I was delighted with the cartoon program on the 21st -- the UPA, Fleischer features, Stathes collection and all of it. And I enjoyed Jerry Beck's interaction with Robert. A strong choice, and please, let's have more.

spadeneal

#10 misha1900

misha1900

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

Please do more of this! What a fantastic evening and what great films! More people need to be exposed to these historic films and in the great transfers you presented. I want to see more from the Tom Stathes collection as well.

I stayed up way past my bedtime on a work night to watch this (I get up at 5am)...and I drove over 20 miles to the home of friends to watch it since I don't have cable right now. Guess who is ordering cable/satellite with TCM in the package just because you did this. That's right, Me!

Thanks TCM and keep this ongoing!

Michael McNiel

#11 16mm4ever

16mm4ever

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

What a joy! To see such a varied assortment of rare silent animation - in prime time yet (at least on the West Coast) - was wonderful . I'm guessing that the survival rate of silent animation is even worse than live action silents which is tragic, especially since a few of them were in less than prime condition. The imagination on display Sunday night was revelatory, and many of them were seriously funny! This area of film history has been long ignored and mostly forgotten; hopefully this broadcast opens up a new window of appreciation and will result in further explorations of these charming shorts. I will certainly be watching. THANK YOU TCM!!!

#12 CyberKFox

CyberKFox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

WE WANT MORE!

#13 BJeffrey

BJeffrey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

Wow! What a great night of watching tv. Having grown up in the 80's I had seen Gulliver before and a couple of the UPA shorts even (at least they seemed familiar). I had seen the Inkwell having searched on the internet for old/weird cartoons...but to be able to see Mr. Bug and Achmed on my tv rather than small laptop was great.

I know TCM won't dedicate a six hour block to animation all the time but I had a couple of ideas that maybe a moderator could pass along:

Do a 2 or 3 hour block once a month with a few shorts and one feature....

As a lead into the Underground on Friday nights maybe 30 minutes of shorts or if it's a double feature night between the two movies...

And for the older b&w silent animation shorts, why not just make that a regular part of Silent Sunday?

TCM - I've been a fan for several years now (mostly watching the Underground and 'cult classics' type, but I do tune in at other times as well) but it was this last Sunday night that made me want to actually log in to be able to post. In the past I've checked the site (it's a nice site :) ) but never felt the need to write anything on the boards.

Please make classic animation (shorts and/or features) a more regular part of your programming.

#14 RobertK_02114

RobertK_02114

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

Another vote to keep the clasic animation coming on TCM! Sunday night's program was particulary well thought-out and kudos to the members of the restoration team who provided us with wonderful presentations of the early animation from the beginning of the 20th century.

I especially love the shorts from Fleischer's Out of the Inkwell/Ko-Ko the Clown series, which are astonishningly inventive and very entertaining and surreal, but any historical animation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, and congratulations to everyone involved!

#15 JimReid

JimReid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

The animation last night was excellent. It's always nice to see beautiful prints of films like Gulliver and M.r Bug, but to see all those wonderful early cartoons, like the Koko's and I was glad to see a Bobby Bumps. This would make a great show for a regular slot on the weekends. Thanks for bringing this to us. TCM, you're good people!

#16 cheeezguy

cheeezguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

Just want to add to the many many voices expressing their gratitude for the animation marathon and hoping there will be more to come! Mr. Beck is a more than capable co-host and I look forward to tuning in again soon.

#17 ValentineXavier

ValentineXavier

I got myself into a situation here that I can't get out of.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

Nice list. I'd add Ub Iwerks' Flip the Frog (and others,) Van Beuren Studios stuff, and early Felix the Cat silents

"Those who would give up essential liberty
to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty, nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971 

#18 AWalker

AWalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

There is no good reason for TCM not to use the foundation established by presenting these rarely seen films. Cartoon Alley was a fine program, but it lacked a really knowledgeable presenter who could place early animation in a historic and progressional perspective. Bring Jerry Beck back, and let him put together shows, with various guests who are knowledgeable within each niche. Some topical themes which would all warrant exhibition include:

Max Fleischer - Koko silent cartoons (w/ Ray Pointer!)
The "Red Seal" sound cartoons from the mid 1920s
The Evolution and Decline of Betty Boop
Popeye
The Color Classics 1934 -39

Universal Pictures - Oswald the Lucky Rabbit ( Mickey's direct ancestor)
Silent years 1927 - 1929 w/ David Gerstein
Early Sound 1929 - 1934
Color Cartunes 1934-35 ( only six made )

Columbia Pictures - Scrappy ( w/ homage to Toby the Pup) w/ Steve Stanchfield

The George Pal Puppetoons - "The Puppetoon Movie" w/ Bob Baker
"Selected hand picked classics from the series"

Ladislaw Starewicz - Silent era stop motion genius

Thats 10 -12 shows right there. That's not even touching the classic 1930's Warner Brothers canon.

#19 Blackandwhite61

Blackandwhite61

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

More animation please! There is so much good stuff out there that is so rarely seen outside of specialized screenings - film schools, art theaters, museums - it would be a great use of TCM's resources to make animation a regular part of the schedule.

#20 tylerghardin

tylerghardin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

Wanting to extend my thanks to TCM (I've already left a message for their viewer relations representatives) for last night's awesome animation showcase. I think these cartoons have a place on television and I was so excited to see TCM giving the spotlight to obscure features like Mr. Bug and rare 1920s silent animation. I know Time Warner owns the rights to pretty much every classic animated property (Looney Tunes, MGM cartoons) and I'd love to see those have a permanent place on the channel. Perhaps a show where they study and analyze the shorts, or give insight into the production process of something like the Fleischer studio.

All in all, it was a great night for animation and I want to thank TCM for dedicating the night to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users