We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

let's hope the tradition continues with the Oct 21st animation TCM marathon

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 kkmysk7223

kkmysk7223

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

Just want to add my thanks to TCM for presenting UPA and silent animated shorts & features. I hope TCM makes it a regular feature to present other examples as I find it fascinating to see the origins & progression of animated films. Also want to thank Sony & TCM for restoring UPA shorts; it's been years since I've seen Unicorn in the Garden and I was surprised to see how colorful the artwork is.

#22 agirlnamedkylie

agirlnamedkylie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

I join many others in this thread in writing to say how much I thoroughly enjoyed all of the classic animation offerings last night--would love to see more of these in the future! Even the friends that I talked to who weren't avid watchers of classic film were interested in these gems. I particularly loved the UPAs and silent cartoons. Kudos to all of you who made the evening possible.

#23 TequilaWhisperer

TequilaWhisperer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

Thank you for running 6 hours(!) of classic "ADULT" animation, TCM!
Please make this a monthly thing. There are MILLIONS of us out here who love animation and know that it's not "kiddie Fare"!

-lippy

#24 mockingjaded

mockingjaded

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

I agree with jonathandodd, I would like to see more "politically incorrect" cartoons as well. Not that I'm racist or anything of that sort, the blatant intolerance and acceptable perceptions of the past are something I find interesting.

But please TCM, put old cartoons back on your line-up!!

#25 TMenk

TMenk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

I'm excited to see these animated films on TCM tonight. I've often wondered why they've shown films of most every other genre or area of expertise, but not animated films. Thank you very much for showing them and please do so again! Some of the most memorable films have been cartoons (Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, for example. Though I am not expressing a wish for TCM to turn into Disney central, I'm simply illustrating a point). I hope to see these more often.

#26 oldfilmbuff23

oldfilmbuff23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:05 AM

I signed up with this forum because of this program. I'm very much enjoying it, and hope they can do more of the same. I do like the time slot, since I'm on the West Coast. I'd be less ecstatic if it were now 1am instead of 10pm.

I've been following along on CartoonsOnFilm's blog (http://cartoonsonfil...er-classic.html), which has nice background on each choice. Thanks, Tom!

#27 Thumpersma

Thumpersma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

I'd love to see more of these cartoon shorts on TCM. I don't think I'd like a marathon night of them but interspersed between movies or three or four bunched together would be great. These cartoons are some that we grew up on and others that, even though very old, are new to me. TCM is such a treasure-trove of all things film related. I've been educated and enriched by watching TCM. Adding these cartoons to the line-up can do nothing but bring me more pleasure. Thank you, TCM!

#28 Robschaad

Robschaad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

I am extremely happy (as a regular TCM viewer) to see classic/vintage animation presented in all of its glory. Please have Jerry Beck back again several more times, as once is definitely not enough to even scratch the surface of the wealth of animated goodness that has been produced. The beauty and level of craftsmanship and design in the older cartoons are a wonder to behold.

Again, thanks and MORE CARTOONS/ANIMATION ON TCM, PLEASE!!!

#29 ryanff7

ryanff7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

I almost didn't believe my eyes when I saw gullivers travels on the guide. Imagine my surprise when i saw lineup for the next few hours on TCM. I hope you guys continue airing animation films like these in the future. Thank you.

#30 zigzag7

zigzag7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

Really enjoying the animated films tonight! I hope this is the first of many nights of regularly scheduled vintage cartoons. There are so many that deserve to be seen! Thanks so much for airing these!

#31 moira

moira

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

Dear TCM,

Thank you for airing these genius vintage films -- they are the history of the films we treaasure today. I wiish you would air them regularly. Late Friday nights, maybe? Sunday nights! Awful! I had to rearrange my entire DVR to fit them all in. But I'm sure they'll be worth it. Anything by a Fleischer brother is.

Thanks, Arlene Herring, Brooklyn, NY

#32 moira

moira

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

Dear TCM,

Thank you for airing these genius vintage films -- they are the history of the films we treaasure today. I wiish you would air them regularly. Late Friday nights, maybe? Sunday nights! Awful! I had to rearrange my entire DVR to fit them all in. But I'm sure they'll be worth it. Anything by a Fleischer brother is.

Thanks, Arlene Herring, Brooklyn, NY

Edited by: moira on Oct 21, 2012 7:35 PM

#33 scrutney

scrutney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

looking forward to tonight and hoping it's the start of a trend.

#34 ValentineXavier

ValentineXavier

I got myself into a situation here that I can't get out of.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:34 AM

Obviously, a lot of first-time posters are here because of the Cartoon Brew article. Welcome, and don't let your first post be your last! Come back after to comment on the programming. Let's let TCM know how much we like it, and how much we hope this is just the start of something regular!

"Those who would give up essential liberty
to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty, nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971 

#35 Tickldpnk8

Tickldpnk8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:21 AM

Thank you, TCM, for finally giving animated films their due. I was a huge fan of Cartoon Alley, and hope you bring more of this programming back to regular scheduling. I originally started watching classic movies in order to better understand the references, jokes, and gags in classic animated shorts. These movies were often shown side by side with feature-length films...something I hope to see you continue.

THANKS!

#36 wgirl07

wgirl07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

It is so heartening to see TCM paying tribute to classic animation. Let's hope the response to Sunday night's lineup is so great that we see a weekly feature of classic 'toons on the channel SOON!

#37 CyberKFox

CyberKFox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

for those TCM viewers that want to brush this off in favor asking for more of the TCM status quo
please read this: http://www.cartoonbr...tant-71998.html

#38 PsyHam

PsyHam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

I signed up for a TCM forum account specifically to reply to this thread and show my support for classic animation on this channel! I hope we can get more showings of these sadly now-rare gems. I grew up in the 80s and remember watching half-hour blocks of Disney, WB, Fleischer, and UPA shorts on TV all the time. Having access to those great films as a kid inspired me to become an animator. Thank you TCM for bringing some of them back! I can't wait for Sunday night :)

#39 billycakes

billycakes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

i'm really looking forward to sunday! well done TCM!
thanks so much for doing this!

#40 marsharebel

marsharebel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

I'm a rabid fan of TCM, watch it all the time and I will also be taking advantage of this opportunity on Sunday. Animatioin, especially the older stuff, is very sophisticated and worth a million more views. Thanks to TCM for this wonderful opportunity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users