We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

let's hope the tradition continues with the Oct 21st animation TCM marathon

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 smolen001

smolen001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

As a long time classic cartoon fan, it gives me great pleasure to watch these gems with my 11 and 8 year old sons, who also love the old B&W's as well as the 1930's and '40's classics...

A new generation is there for the taking, for they can only watch so much SpongeBob and the others...

Thank God for TCM...keep up the great work...!!!

#42 shadypinesma

shadypinesma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:53 AM

If TCM decides to keep this up, hopefully they can get some of the Disney animated classics as well. It's not like Disney's showing them or anything. Let someone who actually cares about broadcasting classic films show them!

#43 jonathandodd

jonathandodd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

I also hope this is the beginning of TCM and Warners showing more of the classic canon of cartoons they own the rights to and dont show. I would also like to see the 1930s WB shorts in black and white and the more "politically incorrect" cartoons run for an adult audience. You run feature films from almost all studios, why not their cartoons as well? Like the Lantz Universal shorts! I hope this is the beginning of regular showings of classic cartoons in their own show or festival, or at least on "EXTRAS" between the movies.

#44 Pumaconcolor

Pumaconcolor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

TCM is the perfect home for classic animation; I've already set my DVR for Sunday night!

#45 vandenBos

vandenBos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

What TCM is doing with this special program of Rare Animation is magnificent and so overly due. I have always said (especially to my film and animation history students) that TCM is the greatest television network in the history of recorded entertainment and this Rare Animation program further confirms my feelings. TCM cares about live-action film history, and now they show they care for the history of the animated cartoon. I will be watching and I will be promoting this program to all of my animation students in Vancouver, B.C. A recurring program of animation on TCM is a no-brainer. Thank you TCM, Robert Osborne and the essential Jerry Beck!

Michael van den Bos
Film History and Animation History Instructor,
Capilano University / Vancouver Film School / Pacific Audio Visual Institute
Vancouver, B.C., Canada

#46 Telzall

Telzall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

I support, enjoy, and watch any animation that TCM broadcasts.

PLEASE, KEEP ANIMATION, ESPECIALLY, CLASSIC ANIMATION ALIVE!!!!!

#47 tjrmusic

tjrmusic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

I am really looking forward to the 21st......Thank you TCM for doing this, but please, Don't let this be the only time that you do this. You should realy make this a regular once a month feature.

#48 junisage

junisage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

TCM is exactly where these cartoons belong. I can't wait for the 21st - my husband is also excited and he isn't really a cartoon buff. We'll be sitting side by side enjoying the programming with a big bowl of popcorn.

#49 sfpcc1

sfpcc1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

Actually I've seen Coal Black on DVD. I think you can get through The Whole Toon Catalog.

A lot of Van Bueren and Flesiher cartoons is available through public domain DVD's. The Quality is iffy.

I'm also looking forward to Sunday night.

#50 ValentineXavier

ValentineXavier

I got myself into a situation here that I can't get out of.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

A weekly showcase would be nice. I wonder if a lot of old 'toons have rights issues, or cost a lot to show. Probably lots of the WB stuff is licensed out already. But, Fleischer, Van Beuren, even MGM don't get shown much at all.

"Those who would give up essential liberty
to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty, nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971 

#51 Elalamo

Elalamo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

Jerry Beck is my guest on this week's "The Commentary Track" podcast. Subscribe for free on iTunes or listen directly from the website: www.thecommentarytrack.com

And, for the record, I think TCM should show a WHOLE lot more animation. A weekly showcase would be a great start.

#52 Jedbu

Jedbu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

Classic animation is just that-classic, and to see more of it on TCM would be great. Would love to see many of the cartoons that Time Warner owns that will probably never make to DVD on the channel. Maybe COAL BLACK...?

#53 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

B-) just a reminder of the cool 6 hr. block of rare animation on 10-21:
http://www.cartoonbr...-tcm-67565.html

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#54 ValentineXavier

ValentineXavier

I got myself into a situation here that I can't get out of.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

I'm with you! I've seen many of the Screen Songs, but there are definitely lots I haven't seen yet. Also, I'd like to see Fleischer Bros. silents, like Koko the Klown.

"Those who would give up essential liberty
to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty, nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971 

#55 ParamountCartoonsFan

ParamountCartoonsFan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

http://www.cartoonbr...ion-on-tcm.html

Jerry Beck says that some classic silent-era cartoons, UPA cartoons, and Paramount's first two animated features (with Max Fleischer) will be shown on TCM. Tune in and lets hope this works.

I especially want more Paramount Pictures cartoons on TCM, particularly Screen Songs with original titles.

Are ya with me?????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users