We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TO HELL AND BACK (1955)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 papyrusbeetle

papyrusbeetle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:06 PM

TO HELL AND BACK is very important because the film has details that Audie Murphy's autobiography didn't mention.

To know the "whole story" you need to know both film and book.

• TopBilled likes this

"I don't want to die."

"Neither do I, baby, but if I have to, I'm going to die last." -OUT OF THE PAST

#2 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

I see on IMDb that there's a Lloyd L. Wyatt listed as "Pierce - Tank Commander", an uncredited role. I couldn't find any pictures of him to compare to Blocker, though.

I'll take this as an answer to my question and let it drop.  Thank you.

The A&E bio of Murphy stated that he had severe DSS and slept with a loaded gun.  When it became intense he would move to his guesthouse to spare his wife and children which would lead to stories about their separating. The rest of the time he was a likable and well-respected guy. He was also not an alcoholic, in fact he rarely drank.   

As he was so young when he went into the service I can believe this; also the fact that this was considered something "real men" kept hidden rather than deal with.  As bad as Vietnam was the problem was able to be brought out into the light and recognized as such giving those vets eventual access to mental health care

• rayban likes this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,021 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

Audie Murphy was a very appealing movie star.

There are some interesting comments about him in Tony Curtis' autobiography. Audie and Tony both became Universal contract players in 1949/1950 and reached stardom about the same time. They actually did two films together (I think Tony was still billed as Anthony Curtis in those early pictures). As they became more and more successful with moviegoers, the studio treated them royally. They wound up with their own bungalows on the lot next to each other. Tony said Audie was someone you didn't mess with-- he could snap at a moment's notice, if he felt you'd done something wrong. Tony was careful never to get on Audie's bad side.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:58 PM

Audie Murphy was a very appealing movie star.

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,021 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:32 AM

Okay, this is driving me nuts.  Near the end of the film Murphy's men meet up with a tank being driven by a young man wearing what looks like a 40s football helmet.  He sounds like Dan Blocker but looks way too young to be him. (This is 1955, just four years before the start of Bonanza, and I can't believe he aged that much in so short a time).  It's an uncredited role so there's no help there.  Is it him?

This is one of the best war films I've ever seen.  The narration tells you what's happening in relation to the rest of the war and why which adds to the realism.  You'd expect Murphy to be believable as he lived this but the rest of the cast makes you forget they're actors.  The real footage used in some scenes also helps.  This is 3 1/2 out of four stars.    

It's ironic you "reactivated" this thread/discussion. Yesterday I received a DVD I had ordered from Amazon. It was one of those New Year's specials-- a four-pack of war films from Universal, for only $3.74 U.S. (too good a deal to resist!). TO HELL AND BACK is one of the films on the disc. I think I will probably review it in the Essentials forum in May, around Memorial Day.

screen.jpg

• cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#6 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,066 posts
  • LocationThe Phantom Zone

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:53 PM

I see on IMDb that there's a Lloyd L. Wyatt listed as "Pierce - Tank Commander", an uncredited role. I couldn't find any pictures of him to compare to Blocker, though.

• rayban likes this

#7 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:34 PM

Okay, this is driving me nuts.  Near the end of the film Murphy's men meet up with a tank being driven by a young man wearing what looks like a 40s football helmet.  He sounds like Dan Blocker but looks way too young to be him. (This is 1955, just four years before the start of Bonanza, and I can't believe he aged that much in so short a time).  It's an uncredited role so there's no help there.  Is it him?

This is one of the best war films I've ever seen.  The narration tells you what's happening in relation to the rest of the war and why which adds to the realism.  You'd expect Murphy to be believable as he lived this but the rest of the cast makes you forget they're actors.  The real footage used in some scenes also helps.  This is 3 1/2 out of four stars.    

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,021 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

I was excited to see TO HELL AND BACK air earlier today on one of the Encore channels. Great film starring Audie Murphy. It has another showing tonight.

I told my dad about it, and he was just as enthusiastic about it.

• rayban likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users