We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Pre-Code Films

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

I assume not on TCM since this is a Universal film.    Anyhow thanks for the tip.    I always seek out James Whales films,  especially the non-horror ones because the 'feel' of the film.  

E.g. Have you see The Great Garrick: 1937 American historical comedy film directed by James Whale and starring Brian Aherne, Olivia de Havilland, and Edward Everett Horton?

While this is a Warner Brothers picture it still has Whales stamp all over it.  

The Kiss Before the Mirror sure has a "feel" to it. It's crime-drama, by the way.

I haven't seen The Great Garrick.

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:21 PM

I recommend the 1933 film The Kiss Before the Mirror, which I've seen a number of times.

A husband catches his wife cheating on him, and he murders her. He turns himself in to the police. His best friend (a lawyer) is assigned to defend him, and this lawyer begins to have suspicions about his own wife's fidelity.

I assume not on TCM since this is a Universal film.    Anyhow thanks for the tip.    I always seek out James Whales films,  especially the non-horror ones because the 'feel' of the film.  

E.g. Have you see The Great Garrick: 1937 American historical comedy film directed by James Whale and starring Brian Aherne, Olivia de Havilland, and Edward Everett Horton?

While this is a Warner Brothers picture it still has Whales stamp all over it.  

#3 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:02 AM

I recommend the 1933 film The Kiss Before the Mirror, which I've seen a number of times.

A husband catches his wife cheating on him, and he murders her. He turns himself in to the police. His best friend (a lawyer) is assigned to defend him, and this lawyer begins to have suspicions about his own wife's fidelity.

#4 ding19410922

ding19410922

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

There probably would be some things about the wonderful Warren William, who was just SO SO good. I hope he made a lot of money. He certainly was working all over the Warner lot.

#5 sanfranciscosearcher

sanfranciscosearcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

For all fans of Pre-Code films, I recommend the new biography of Warner Bros. actor Lyle Talbot ("Three on a Match," "20,000 Years at Sing Sing," "Ladies They Talk About" and many, many more).

It's called, "The Entertainer: Movies, Magic and My Father's Twentieth Century" (Riverhead Books) by his daughter, Margaret Talbot, who is a staff writer for the New Yorker magazine.

It's packed with insider stories and fresh insights about the Pre-Code era.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users