We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Festival adventure dribbles...

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 SueSueApplegate

SueSueApplegate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas, home of Superbowl LI!

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

Theresa, what a thoroughly enchanting discussion of the events at the screening of "Dodsworth" in Austin! I am so happy that you were able to attend, and give us such an entertaining and delightful report about Robert Osborne's visit to your fair city.

"Dodsworth" is one of my favorite films, and I am so grateful you were able to give us such a fabulous report!

Any comments about what might occur in the future with "The Essentials?"
I was also glad to hear about how much you enjoyed David Niven's performance. "Dodsworth" is also one of my favorite Mary Astor films.

Thanks, my dear! Lovely. Just like you!
  • butterscotchgreer likes this
BLOG: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter: @suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.co...dex.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
THE SSO: http://silverscreeno...=4260&start=975
The Examiner: http://www.examiner....classic-film-in ... sty-putnam
Writing about the Turner Classic Film Festival since June of 2010....
Facebook: Sue Sue's TCM Film Festival Friends
#TCMFF #TCMFFSP

#22 butterscotchgreer

butterscotchgreer

Baby T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

Mon ami, Johnny!!!!

Hi there, dear Theresa, what a marvelous post! I want to tell you, that Mr O comes through brilliantly for choosing that movie. It as such depth. It's one of my favorites as well. Edith Cortright (Mary Astor) is one of the most appealing characters in all of movies. That scene with Fran and this talk about their ages was great. In he beginning of that little scene, Edith comes out with the most memorable one word-er that I know, she catches Fran looking at Iselin and simply says, "Don't." Remember that! And that was only the beginning of that converation!

Oh my goodness, that one word from Astor makes you have goose bumps! She is just that marvelous! I have seen this movie I don't know how many times, and my jaw still drops every time I hear her say it. Part of it was probably the response from the audience when she said it. I was caught in the moment, probably, but STILL! Heehee!

And isn't it curious how she is having a sort of an affair with a married man, but you still root for her to win in the end? How does she do that? It's all part of her gorgeous charm!

And yes, Maria Ouspenskaya, formidable indeed, not even Fran Dodsworth, quite another formidable one in her own right, can match her. David Niven was indeed wonderful with what limited screen time. I remember without even looking it up his line to Fran, "You think you are a woman of the world, but you are nothing of the sort." (as well as a few other things, I believe). Poor Fran, she gets a comeuppance, first from the Captain? (Niven), then from Maria, and at last from her husband.

I don't think Fran is strong in any way. She gives up too easily on so many things and she puts her cares in the wrong places. She turns her back on her loved ones, especially her daughter and grandchild. I mean no woman wants to grow old with wrinkles, but how could you NOT see your own grandchild and comfort your daughter? That's another thing that really bothered poor Joe. After the film was finished, he almost looked boiling mad, because of that one thing in the film. I thought that was humorous.

What I love most about Niven in this film is his body language. In the first scene he is in, you see him kicking the door of their cabin shut when he sees them kissing-and that look on his face. He is so goofy, and ADORABLE!

I smile at your mischievousness , i.e. "grins and giggles" ;-) with respect to your curiosity about that proposed re-make, but I'm afraid I am of the old school being a little reluctant to do a re-do with such a classic movie as this, but of course I'm just a stuffy ole pirate ;-) .

Oh, I said I would only like to see that for grins and giggles, dahling. I don't think I would actually like a remake of Dodsworth. I'm kind of glad that it didn't happen in a way. But I will always be curious, naturally. I mean how can you turn down the looks of Gregory Peck?! That's....that's just mean, you pirate! Heehee!

Gorgeous post, butterscotchgreer, do keep them coming. And compliments to Mr O for choosing a wonderful movie like that and then hanging around to discuss it. Would I had been there, myself! But I'm so glad that you were there to tell us about it. Thanks!

I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I so wish everyone could have been there with me! It's just not as fun without company there who share the same obsessions! Heehee!

• SueSueApplegate likes this

#23 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,164 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:33 PM

Hi there, dear Theresa, what a marvelous post! I want to tell you, that Mr O comes through brilliantly for choosing that movie. It as such depth. It's one of my favorites as well. Edith Cortright (Mary Astor) is one of the most appealing characters in all of movies. That scene with Fran and this talk about their ages was great. In he beginning of that little scene, Edith comes out with the most memorable one word-er that I know, she catches Fran looking at Iselin and simply says, "Don't." Remember that! And that was only the beginning of that converation! And yes, Maria Ouspenskaya, formidable indeed, not even Fran Dodsworth, quite another formidable one in her own right, can match her. David Niven was indeed wonderful with what limited screen time. I remember without even looking it up his line to Fran, "You think you are a woman of the world, but you are nothing of the sort." (as well as a few other things, I believe). Poor Fran, she gets a comeuppance, first from the Captain? (Niven), then from Maria, and at last from her husband. I smile at your mischievousness , i.e. "grins and giggles" ;-) with respect to your curiosity about that proposed re-make, but I'm afraid I am of the old school being a little reluctant to do a re-do with such a classic movie as this, but of course I'm just a stuffy ole pirate ;-) .

Gorgeous post, butterscotchgreer, do keep them coming. And compliments to Mr O for choosing a wonderful movie like that and then hanging around to discuss it. Would I had been there, myself! But I'm so glad that you were there to tell us about it. Thanks!

J.Laffite

#24 butterscotchgreer

butterscotchgreer

Baby T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

So I thought I could talk about more than just loverly words about the festival. I would also like to chat a little about seeing Robert O in Austin this weekend!

He decided to grace our presence with introducing William Wyler's Dodsworth at The Paramount Theater in the heart of downtown Austin. It's only a few blocks from our state's capitol and has a beautiful view from in front of the historic 100 year old theater. Robert also stayed until the end of the film and talked more about the film and then had a Q & A session with the crowd. He talked for almost an hour. It was very exciting!!

I brought my sweetie, Joe, even though I knew for a fact that he wouldn't like the movie. I told him he didn't have to go, but he insisted. It turns out, I was right. About 5 seconds after the end credits rolled, he leaned over and said, "You were right. I really didn't care for it at all." Poor thing. Heehee! I felt so bad. I love him, but he doesn't always understand the beauty of certain classics. It's also a much older film than he is used to seeing.

Well, Dodsworth happens to be one of my favorites of the 1930's, and had never seen it on the big screen, so I was floating in the sky the whole day prior to the screening, just waiting to see and hear that beautiful static on the screen. But, actually, there was hardly any. Since they had restored this wonderful film on 35 mm, it was so clear and SO worth the trouble!

Anyway, on to talking about Robert, because he is absolutely wonderful! Before the film started, he came on stage and immediately captured everyone's attention. Heehee! He started off by saying that he was thankful for being able to pick any movie he wanted for this evening at the Paramount. So he chose Dodsworth, because of his special love toward that particular film. The Theater was completely full and he asked the audience who had seen or even known about this film and I was astounded to see so little hands raised in the air. So many people didn't know how awesome this movie was and is! So it was fun to see everyone getting cultured by Robert!

He didn't say too much else before the actual film played, but afterwards, he came back out on stage with the Paramount's classic film programmer for some good discussion. Well Robert had instantly started off with, "Doesn't Maria Ouspenskaya just scare you to death?!" She scares me!" Heehee! I thought that was too cute. Robert touched base on many aspects about the film and said that he always thought Walter Huston was an attractive man and loved him particularly as Dodsworth, because he could convey what the character was thinking without saying any words, like in the opening scene. You could see what he was feeling about his company with his body language. I loved that example he put forth! Then he compared that one scene to Henry Fonda's scene in Jezebel when he made the decision to dance with Bette Davis, but never said a word. You could see what he was deciding right then and there. Personally, I could never see anyone else playing Dodsworth either. Huston just oozes that cute aging charm that makes you want to give him a big hug.

Robert thought it was amazing how versatile Mary Astor was and that it was amazing that she could play such a sweet serene character here and then jazz up the naughty girl bit 5 years later for Maltese Falcon and then another 4 years after that as the loving mother of Judy in Meet Me in St. Louis. I think Astor was brilliant with Huston. Their on screen chemistry is brilliant and makes complete sense! He goes on to talk about Ruth Chatterton and how she was queen of the Warner Brothers studio way before the time of this film's production. Apparently Chatterton didn't take many other parts after this except for two other films, because she was incredibly afraid of being cast in the role of an older character, which would show her age. So she relates a little to her character as Fran a bit in real life, I think.

One of the people in the audience asked Robert a question at one point about Sinclair Lewis' novels and what he thought of the representation of them on screen. Robert's answer was that he found Lewis' writing to be interesting, yet intense. Sinclair's novels were great for the eye when reading, but they weren't so great in the theatrical sense. He then compared Lewis to Ernest Hemingway's novels in that they were hard to fully translate onto film to know exactly what every scene is about and to know what is going on without reading between the lines and becoming easily confused. Robert thought Wyler did a superb job with what he was given in that regard.

What I had not known, and maybe many other people already knew, was that there was suppose to be a remake of Dodsworth in the 1960's! MGM made a contract with Gregory Peck to be the title character and had wanted Elizabeth Taylor and Grace Kelly to be the leading lady rivals for the film, but that the project never left the ground because of the lack of financing. Don't we all wish we could have seen that happen just for grins and giggles? Personally I would love to have seen Kelly as "Fran". Heehee! :P

Something I very much agree with that Robert talked about was the actors' translation of the script. How Astor used her wit to the height of her best ability in the scene between her and Chatteron when they are talking about their ages. Oh the look of Astor's face, combined with they way she said her last line to Chatterton was pure perfection. It makes your jaw drop! That spark is very much there between all the actors. I just think the casting as beyond brilliant. I think the "Baroness" could have used even more impertinence on "Fran" than what she gave her. She deserved it and it was so believable.

He even talked about the little appearance that David Niven makes with the few scenes he was given. He was such fun to have on sets, so many of the actors, like Errol Flynn, used to make sure he had a part in any film, whether it was big or small, just to have him around. I thought that was funny. I love Niven to pieces, and wish he had bigger parts in more films. Robert never really touched base with Spring Byington having a supporting part, and I thought she was great as the caring family best friend. She was always witty and great with being slightly ditzy. Could she get any more adorable?!

Some other topics that were touched on were the recent deaths of Elaine Stritch and James Garner. The audience wanted to know how they affected Robert. A few months before Elaine died, she did a Cabaret appearance in New York and had trouble remembering lines in the songs she was doing. She had a hard time grasping that and it was painful for people to watch. That made me so sad!!

Anyway, I thought it was a fun night and enjoyed myself immensely! I'm so happy Robert decided to come to Austin and I hope he makes an appearance at next year's Summer classic series as well! YAY!!!!

Here is a little collage (hopefully it shows):

2014-07-20_21.52.52_zps8c8y1c6t.jpg

#25 patful

patful

Advanced Age

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:05 PM

Thanks for all the updates and photos from the festival. Nice to see everyone's faces. And your dresses are gorgeous.

• SueSueApplegate and butterscotchgreer like this

#26 patful

patful

Advanced Age

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

What films do you think he might like to see with you on the big screen?

Hopefully not Smokey and the Bandit or Porky's. :D

#27 SueSueApplegate

SueSueApplegate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

I hope we have the pleasure of helping your handsome betrothed to appreciate more classic films at next year's festival. What films do you think he might like to see with you on the big screen?
#TCMFF #TCMFFSP

#28 butterscotchgreer

butterscotchgreer

Baby T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

Butter,

We'll sit him down and ask him about his future prospects, such as:

1. Do you promise to learn all about classic films?

2. Can you tell the difference between James Whitmore and Spencer Tracy in the 1950s?

3. What is a classic movie?  (Your whole future relationship with her rides on this answer.)

4. Do you promise to love, honor, and take her to the festival every year? 

5. Three Stooges or the Ritz Brothers?

Peter, you kill me with giggles!!

That was too funny! I can't wait to see that discussion unfold. I can answer one of your questions for you. As a matter of fact, we just had this discussion yesterday in the car! Heehee!

"What is a classic movie?"....ummmm, you won't necessarily love his answer. Because I didn't like it. :P He thinks a classic movie is Wayne's World. I had to turn up my nose at that one. He started laughing at me! Laughing! He didn't really understand the meaning of a "classic" film. He thinks it means that a movie is simply "great". I had to correct him and explain the whole definition and give examples. To his credit, he did listen very intently and has told me he wants to learn more. I have been slowly brainwashing him into liking the classics through the 4 years that we have been dating. Heehee! 

And he wouldn't even know who James Whitmore is, so there's your answer to that one. And He doesn't know who the Ritz brothers are, so he would immediately default to the Stooges. He does like the Stooges. I have been introducing him to war films and westerns. He seems to really like those! As for dramas, well I tried getting him to watch Clash By Night and that didn't work out so well, because it was about an affair. I told him it's not just about the affair. You have to look at all the elements that make up the film....He's getting there. Having said all of this, He is a big modern film buff and he loves the 70's and thinks Sally Field is the greatest thing know to man. Weird. Heehee! So he has already told me he is excited to go to the Festival with me in future years since I have made it an imperative tradition from now on. Heehee!

#29 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

Yes, Miss Butterscotch. Your "sweetie" should travel with you next year when you come! :-)

Butter,

We'll sit him down and ask him about his future prospects, such as:

1. Do you promise to learn all about classic films?

2. Can you tell the difference between James Whitmore and Spencer Tracy in the 1950s?

3. What is a classic movie?  (Your whole future relationship with her rides on this answer.)

4. Do you promise to love, honor, and take her to the festival every year? 

5. Three Stooges or the Ritz Brothers?

#30 SueSueApplegate

SueSueApplegate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

Yes, Miss Butterscotch. Your "sweetie" should travel with you next year when you come! :-)
#TCMFF #TCMFFSP

#31 butterscotchgreer

butterscotchgreer

Baby T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

Texas T,

What great recaps! It was great being able to hang out with you and the other "revelers"! What fun we had! Can't wait to do it all again next year!

Here's a pic of Peter from the final night of the Fest:

Peter_zpsb6059aee.jpg

Lynn,

Thank you for that pic of Peter! He's even dressed up in it. Awwww! Now everything is complete!! Heehee! YAY! We did have fun and we will al have even more fun in coming years. Can't wait for next year already. Maybe I can persuade my sweetie to come with? That's still in question... Heehee!

#32 butterscotchgreer

butterscotchgreer

Baby T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

Jewison sais it was Kismet and he couldn't have imagined any other violinist to play the part. I'd say his choice was brilliant. How about you?

Yup! Isaac Stern did a lot of stuff for the movies, I believe...including Humoresque (1947).

Thank you, Theresa, for those updates. Just loved them! This wonderful time you had at the festival comes shining through... enjoyed so much everything you had to say ... and wonderful photos too!

:)

laffite

Mon ami,

Thank you for reading them, dahling! I'm glad you enjoyed my updates! I didn't realized so many people would actually read any of this or even comment, so that makes me smile! :D

#33 butterscotchgreer

butterscotchgreer

Baby T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

I really enjoyed reading about your adventures at the festival. The last night was especially nice, as we all sat around and talked, not wanting the moment to end.

And thanks for posting a decent picture of me, where I don't look like a serial killer!

For people who are thinking about coming to next year's festival for the first time: Not only do you get to see great movies and some of your favorite stars, you also have the chance to meet some of the other festivalgoers, all of whom are just as crazy about classic films as you are, no matter what their age.

David,

You're welcome on the picture (courtesy of Christy), and, by the way, there's no way you could ever look like a serial killer! Gee wiz!

I agree on your advice for people thinking about coming in the next years. Whatever your age, don't ever be afraid of coming and opening up to people. You won't regret it! I know I haven't. I have found dear friends that I now know will always be there to celebrate and have fun with me. 

#34 SueSueApplegate

SueSueApplegate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

Love these photos that help me relive all the fun! :-)
#TCMFF #TCMFFSP

#35 butterscotchgreer

butterscotchgreer

Baby T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:10 PM

Day 4 continued...20140413_210703_zpsihdzymx4.jpg20140413_205638_zpsfcw8umvd.jpg20140413_231820_zpskw4cnokl.jpgIMG_1690_zpsodcw3h9h.jpg20140413_212113_zpst6xeiuiw.jpgIMG_1679_zpsiepaqthb.jpg20140413_220755_zpsumeemwpj.jpg

• SueSueApplegate and rohanaka like this

#36 butterscotchgreer

butterscotchgreer

Baby T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

Day 4 pics!
Leonard Maltin introducing Lynn Stalmaster, John Williams and Norman Jewison.

20140413_122913_zpsajehmmqh.jpg20140413_122919_zpsujbbwvu3.jpg20140413_122952_zpsenfbwi91.jpg20140413_125530_zpscd743qar.jpg20140413_143115_zpsvwzalpar.jpg20140413_201608_zpsnv4lntx0.jpg

Maureen O' Hara!
20140413_161905_zps6ke1k7rg.jpg20140413_161839_zpscw9p61nj.jpg

#37 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

I really enjoyed reading about your adventures at the festival. The last night was especially nice, as we all sat around and talked, not wanting the moment to end.

And thanks for posting a decent picture of me, where I don't look like a serial killer!

For people who are thinking about coming to next year's festival for the first time: Not only do you get to see great movies and some of your favorite stars, you also have the chance to meet some of the other festivalgoers, all of whom are just as crazy about classic films as you are, no matter what their age.

#38 SueSueApplegate

SueSueApplegate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

For me, this was one of the most thrilling articles written about the festival because you bring such energy and enthusiasm to your experiences. What a wonderful way to discover what I missed at the festival!
Thank you for sharing all of your fabulous moments with us! :-)

2cb66f12-6d97-45e7-9c67-4e2d83f0bf9e_zps
  • butterscotchgreer and rohanaka like this
#TCMFF #TCMFFSP

#39 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,164 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:38 PM

Jewison sais it was Kismet and he couldn't have imagined any other violinist to play the part. I'd say his choice was brilliant. How about you?

Yup! Isaac Stern did a lot of stuff for the movies, I believe...including Humoresque (1947).

Thank you, Theresa, for those updates. Just loved them! This wonderful time you had at the festival comes shining through... enjoyed so much everything you had to say ... and wonderful photos too!

:)

laffite

#40 butterscotchgreer

butterscotchgreer

Baby T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:48 PM

Day 4: The Final day of the Festival

My 7 AM alarm rang and I didn't want to get out of bed, because I realized it was the last day of the festival. I wanted it to go on forever! However, the sun was glistening through my window and it was SO PRETTY, so I got up and dressed anyway and headed down to breakfast at Club TCM, so I could see some of my buddies. I didn't stay for very long that day, because I wanted a really good seat for the showing of Fiddler on the Roof at the Grauman Chinese Theater. So I stood in line for a good 45 minutes waiting for the doors to open and found some friends from the Bell, Book, and Candle screening the night before that sat right next to me. They were SO nice and we got into a chat about musicals. It seemed very fitting at the time. Heehee! It's always loverly and refreshing to see men get giddy over a musical. I always feel like giving them a big giant hug just for liking them and not picking on me about it.....hint hint to Frankie! Just saying! :P :P

Anyway, I got a seat down in front for Fiddler on the Roof, because I was super excited about seeing the discussion panel at the end of the film. The two Louisiana girls I told you about found me in front and came to sit by me. We had a good half hour before the film started, so we had an awesome chat. One of them hadn't seen this movie yet. I grew up with it! How do you not grow up with Fiddler on the Roof?! I mean, really! Heehee! I had never seen it on the big screen, so I was so excited, I could barely hold it in. After the screening ended, Mr. Leonard Maltin graced the stage and then asked Mr. Lynn Stalmaster, John Williams, and Norman Jewison to come sit with him. Stalmaster and Jewison talked much of he casting for the picture. Jewison, especially, went into great detail about what it took to cast the actual "Fiddler"; not the actor who played The fiddler, but the person who played the violin for the sequences. His name was Isaac Stern. Jewison recalled how he wanted only the best violinist in the world to play the numbers for the film, so he went himself to Stern's flat and waited outside in the hall until he was finished rehearsing some time later. Apparently he could hear through the walls. I could just picture Jewison sitting patiently in the hall of a random flat. Ha! AWESOME! Anyway, he kept on with the story and how Stern was quite literally booked for every single week of the rest of the year for performances, but when Stern saw how passionate Jewison was about the film and all that went into the production, he agreed to fly to where they were recording for one day to record EVERY fiddle sequence. Could you imagine recording all that in one day? I was amazed! Jewison said it was Kismet and he couldn't have imagined any other violinist to play the part. I'd say his choice was brilliant. How about you?

Then John Williams had a chance to recall what his inspiration was for composing the score. He said that he and Jewison studied together about the history of the Jewish traditions and read every single old book they could get their hands on to see pictures and just read everything they saw. He said that he lived and breathed the music so he could get it just right. I believe every word they said. It's hard not to get emotional when listening to all that hard work and determination.

Around the time they were wrapping up the conversation, I high-tailed it out of the theater in my high heels and ran all the way to Club TCM for the special: "Judy Garland: A Legendary Film Career" with John Fricke. I missed only the first few minutes from being at the discussion panel, but Lynn had saved me a seat, so I was just fine. I just couldn't miss Judy! She was and will remain the GREATEST entertainer of all time and is someone very special in my eyes. I had also never been in a room with so many other Judy admirers before.

Mr. Fricke showed a slideshow of rare photos of Judy and went through the decades of her life detailing the audience about her career. He included talking about films she either turned down, was shunned away from, or never finished. We also got treated with seeing many clips of dance/singing numbers from her films. Towards the end of the showing, Fricke let us see a video of Judy singing "Ol' Man River" from The Judy Garland Show, (incidentally, Norman Jewison produced this show and I REALLY wanted him to show up for a surprise and he didn't.) and both Lynn and I were in tears by the time the song finished. How one woman can show so much emotion just by singing oen song and leaving such an imprint is beyond me. That's just part of Judy's charm and brilliance. I have The Judy Garland Show on DVD and in case there are Judy fans reading this who haven't seen the show, but wonder if it's any good? Take my advice and watch it. It's worth every dollar you'll spend on it, even if you have to borrow it. Several, and I do mean, several musical stars join her along the season and even some comic talent, such as Jerry Van Dyke, Donald O' Connor and The Smothers Brothers make appearances. She shines brightly and never disappoints you. When the special showing was over, many people stood in line to talk to Fricke and have him sign his new book about the films of Judy. I dearly wanted to buy one, (like I need another book about Judy, heehee) but they sold out by the time I reached the shop. Pixie sticks! :D I really wanted to talk to Fricke, but there were so many people ahead of me, so I just went and chatted with Lynn and then our dear friend, Christy (SueSue) showed up for a bit. They both coerced me into going over to chat with Fricke after many of the people had left.

Now Fricke had the privilege of meeting Judy Garland after one of her concerts in the 60's. He went up to her and said that he really enjoyed seeing her sing live on stage and her answer to him was a chuckle followed by, "I'm sorry you had to sit through that." At least she had a sense of humor. Apparently he was a teenager at this time and totally in love with her. Heehee! I thought that was way too cute for words. So when I went up to him and shook his hand, his first comment wasn't "Hi", but it was, "GASP! Who taught you how to dress so lovely?" It made me giggle and blush. Such a nice man! Honestly, all I really wanted to tell him was how thankful I was for all the work he had done preserving such a loverly lady, because I could relate to her as a small child. I was a bullied person for most of my childhood and I always found my comfort with Judy and her magic. Pretty soon I was close to crying. I was so emotional! Goodness knows why. And Fricke took my hand and said, "Honey, I know exactly how you feel. Take my card and whenever you wanna chat, just email me." And he just started relating to me and talking for quite a while until I know he had to leave, so I went back to Christy and Lynn. They were waiting for "20 Years of TCM On-Air" I'm pretty surely Lynn's husband was at Gone with the Wind at that time.

It was about 3:30 at this time, and I was a hungry little girl, but I desperately wanted to see Maureen
O'Hara interview with Robert O in the Roose Lobby, because I had missed her speaking the other day for How Green Was My Valley. So I stood by the interview stage for about half an hour waiting for her to come out and it got quite crowded around me in that time. Her grandson helped her wheelchair on the stage and you could instantly see that her spark and firey personality was as it always has been. She never left the sight of her grandson and he really took care of her. It was really sweet to watch, because you could just see his love for her. I won't tell you what she said during the "filmed" portion of the interview, because they will be airing it when she is Star of the Month, so it will be a loverly surprise for you. YAY! I didn't want to ruin it for everyone. The interview was actually suppose to be about 10 minutes, but as soon as they waved the time card, she grabbed the mic from Robert and said, "Oh, it's over? Do you mind if I keep talking? I really love to talk and am so enjoying it here!" Robert just grinned ear to ear and said, "Oh, honey, you can talk as long as you wish." So she kept talking and started randomly talking about her favorite soccer team for a while, then somehow found a way to tie that into classic film again. I don't remember how she did it, but it was brilliant. Heehee! After the "filmed" session, they turned her wheelchair and Robert's chair around to face the people watching. We could ask her any questions we wanted. Someone next to me asked her who her absolute favorite co-star was to work with and she made me giggle so hard. She is adorable in every way possible! Her reply to that question was, "You ask a stupid question and you're gonna get a stupid answer. John Wayne was the best of men and could never do any wrong." After the interview, on her way out, she was right next to me and she looked right at me and said, "You look so young, my dear. why are you here?" I bent down to her and smiled replying with, "Why, because you are such a wonderful person!" That made her grandson smile. :D Then I lost track of time myself and ran off to the next showing.

After the interview, Easter Parade and Employees' Entrance, were playing at the same exact time and had already started. I had to think for a few seconds about how I was going to accomplish this and decided run and see about 20 minutes of Easter Parade and then ran to see the end of Employee's Entrance. It wasn't exactly how I would have liked to do it, but at least I saw part of both of them on the big screen! YAY!!! After Employees' Entrance, I walked back to the Roose, because I was going to chat with the staff at the info desk about a few things, but Lynn caught sight and pulled me away to have one last dinner with the gang. It was so fun re-capping with everyone on what they had all seen! Whatever we missed, the other people got to see, so they just told us about it and it was like we went too. Heehee! During this time I was waiting to leave and wait in line to see The Lady from Shanghai. I think a lot of people wanted to see it as well and a few others wanted to go see The Great Gatsby (1949). But we all ended up chatting for a long time at the restaurant and, though some left to go to their showings, I stayed, completely engrossed in whatever we were talking about. Lynn and I just decided to go wait in Club TCM for the Closing Night Party to start. We just talked and laughed and talked some more until familiar faces showed up and sat with us. David (kingrat) showed up after he went to The Lady from Shanghai, so at least he saw it and raved about it's beauty to us. Heehee! After a while, Christy, Big T (Cinemaven), Paula and quite a few other friends showed up at the party.

Either Lynn or Paula had asked me to go get them a drink, I forget who it was, so I went to the bar and ordered some drinks and I get a tap on the shoulder from behind me. I thought it was weird, so I turned around to see two of the editors from TCM. They kind of freaked me out and made me jump. Heehee! They said, "Hey! You're the girl who used to have a crush on Ben Mankiewicz! We have quite a file on you!" My eyes got soooooo wide and it made me blush intensely...Out of my whole interview with Ben last year, that's the only thing anyone remembers. :P I was really nervous okay! I had at least 5 or 6 people mention that at various times this year. Gee wiz....Heehee!

Peter (filmlover) decided to grace us with his presence, and all dressed up, too! I was picking on him on the very first day of the festival, because he showed up to the opening night party in blue jeans. Heehee! Silly Peter! He showed up with something very special, too. But first I have to tell you about our chat on the first night. So as I exited the Oklahoma! screening, we went to the Roosevelt Hotel to find other people before the shuttles appeared to take people to the Vanity Fair Party. We found Peter in the lobby....in his jeans, :), and I started chatting with him about musicals. We got into a deep discussion about a particular version of a musical. We were both familiar with this musical, but I hadn't heard the version he was telling me about, so he went home and bought it online and it shipped to him the last day of the festival, so he wrapped it up and gave it to me. He was so thoughtful for doing that. I wasn't ever expecting him to do that and it warmed my heart. This is what I was talking about. We are all a big family. It’s the little things in life that astound and make me smile. Thank you Peter! You’re an absolute darling. :D

After some time, we all decided to venture out to the poolside of the Roose to sit by the fire and just relax. By then, it was pitch black outside and quite on the cool side, so the fire created a comfy atmosphere for all of us. It was the perfect time to keep going with group pictures. I even got one last hug from Ben and some of the staff had come over to say their goodbyes and chit chat a bit. We had an emotional toast to Kyle. I think it was an empotional year for all of us. I miss you Kyle, my dear, wonderful friend. Peter had left a little after that to go get the group some pizza and came back in time to keep warm by the fire.

I almost broke out in swing dancing during the party. I dearly wanted to, but couldn't find a partner to do so with me. Last year, I never did get around to posting about the last day of the festival, but during the closing night party, I started dancing with a random guy that I had met that night and taught him to swing dance (a little lindy hop) and it was so much fun! There was a little band playing some big band music at the closing party last year, so it was fitting and there needed to be more spirit and happiness in the room, so what better to liven up the party than with some good swing! I didn't realize we had an audience, though, and some people came up to me this year expecting me to dance with someone. Heehee!

As the party wound down around midnight, we all gave each other big hugs. David happened to be staying at the same hotel as I, so he was a perfect gentleman and walked me back to the hotel, for which I was greatful. It was loverly not to have to walk the streets by myself that late at night. If anything were to happen, it would be hard to run in heels. Heehee!

I finally got ice on my ankle and laid there on my bed with such an adrenaline rush, but half asleep at the same time from exhaustion of the whole week and weekend. Do you know the feeling? It's a strange one, but wonderful!

On the plane ride home, I even ran into a fellow girly Austinite that I knew who was at the festival, so we kept each other company and swapped stories on the way home.

I cannot wait until next year's festival! YAY!!!! so to summarize my entire experience...I HAD A BLAST!! :D :D

Pictures to follow from the final day....

• SueSueApplegate and rohanaka like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users