We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

A New Leaf

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,878 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 01:11 PM

I thought about this film a few days ago when Doris Roberts passed away. She's very good in it.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

Adjunct Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationCarrollton Texas

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:06 PM

I love the Evans cut. I always wondered why Elaine May didn't make more movies. I know now it was because she made crap. And was a pain to deal with if you were the one writing the checks.

I take the ending to mean that Mathau's character found immortality through the naming of the new leaf for him and so, dam it to hell, he had to save the woman who brought this new richness to him.

Not one to over-analyze. Just to enjoy.

#3 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

I thought from what I read that he saved Henrietta in both the studio cut and in the director's cut, the difference being in the former, it was an act of love, while in the latter it was his punishment for getting away with murder.

I've never heard it that way, but you could be right. Except I don't understand why he would be punishing himself, much less why he would do it by "saving" her life. Heck, I think most guilty people would never decide to punish themselves, even those that actually experience feelings of guilt, which I'm doubtful that Henry did (except in the implausible ending.)

#4 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:56 PM

Apparently it wasn't just the ending that she didn't like, but she had a three-hour-long director's cut that includes at least one dark sub-plot involving two murders. Walter Matthau liked the edited version better. It's unknown whether the director's cut still exists (someone should ask her), but I'd be very curious to see it, despite the length. Read about it on the wiki page for this film.

http://en.wikipedia....sions_and_edits

Regarding the ending (meaning SPOILER ALERT), I do not really buy Henry's turn-around. It just seems very removed from his personality to save her life at the last minute. There was never even a hint that that feeling was in him, and that's what was funny, so it doesn't really fit. I can understand why it might be too cold to let her die (as she wanted it), but the ending changed his character rather ungracefully.

I do love this movie though, it's hilarious as it is.

• LuckyDan likes this

#5 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,530 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

I read somewhere that Elaine May was not pleased with the final outcome of the movie.  I can't imagine why, since I am like the rest of you, I absolutely love this movie.  And she is certainly the main reason that this is so entertaining.l   She's such a delight.  It's too bad that they never followed through with the plans to do a remake with Kevin Kline and Joan Cusack.  They were so terrific together in "In and Out".  What a great movie that would have been!

Terrence.

#6 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,901 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:34 AM

This movie is a family favorite. 

We all watched it together last year and I was surprised how well it holds up. The only newbie in the group loved it too. I think most women feel that self conscious and awkward at one time in their lives.

We were on the floor in stitches when May tried dressing in the grecian gown for her honeymoon. She is just so adorable, a perfect foil for gruff Matthau. 

I bet we all watch it again this year when we get together Labor Day.

#7 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

Adjunct Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationCarrollton Texas

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:32 AM

i'm on my 3rd malaga cooler browsing the old boards and was happy to find this.

made me wonder why elaine may didnt have more success in movies so i read her wiki page. seems she later tried to bring her love of improv to film direction with poor - or certainly very costly - results.

but yes a fun clever comedy that stands up to repeated viewings, especially mathau's very expressive actions and reactions to her during their courtship, and his eventual awakening when he finds the "new leaf." and just in time.

#8 faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationAlphaville

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:43 AM

I can't believe no one else replied to this post. They must have carbon on the valves.

A very funny picture, indeed.

#9 momanna

momanna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

Boy, I can't believe I never watched this before! How genuinely funny. Reminds me of all the Mike Nichols and Elaine May records...only elongated into a film. Laughed myself silly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users