We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Which hotel?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ellen1212

Ellen1212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

Thank you for your take on both hotels. Loews sounds great, I'm already looking forward to April.

#2 ewalvin

ewalvin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:08 AM

I think you'll like the Loews, Ellen. I've been to the Festival every year and always stayed at the Roosevelt, until last time. The Roosevelt's common areas are wonderful and you'll probably get to spend a lot of time there anyway. The rooms at the Roosevelt are more modern in decor than the rest of the hotel and not all that special, in my opinion, and the elevators can be really slow. Last time I was able to get a room at the Loews to save a little money and was surprised to find how much better I liked it. It's much more centrally located to the theaters and, being adjacent to the mall complex, it was easy to grab a quick bite between screenings. Lots of elevators, too! But the best part is, like the Roosevelt, they get TCM on their TVs, so you can keep watching even when you turn in for the night! I chose the Loews again this time without hesitation.

#3 Ellen1212

Ellen1212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:31 PM

Thanks to you both for your input. I got a room at Loews luckily, since I will be attending by myself, I do want to be closeby. The Roosevelt does sound wonderful, too bad it filled up so quickly. But I look forward to seeing it during the festival.

#4 lzcutter

lzcutter

Riding Point

• Moderators
  • 12,320 posts
  • LocationCity of the Angels- San Fernando Valley division

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

The only time during the Festival that I have seen the lobby filled with young people is usually the evening before the Festival starts (Wednesday). There is usually some new blockbuster film having its premiere at the El Captain and Hollywood suits, flakes and young businessmen and women mill around the lobby waiting for the screening to open.

During the Festival, the lobby is usually dominated by Festival goers.

The Roosevelt is hardly rundown but it is a historic landmark and the owners do take good care of the property. It is currently sold out for the 2014 Festival but there may be a waiting list. If you are looking for a more modern place, Loew's is probably a better fit though they may be sold out as well. (Reports vary).

There are many housing options, from smaller hotels (but you have to walk a little further) to boutique hotels like the W at Hollywood and Vine (there is a subway station nearby that you can take. It takes you to Hollywood and Highland, across the street from the Roosevelt and where Grauman's (sorry, TLC) and the Chinese mutliplex are.)

Definitely check out options. You can also rent a house if you are going with a group.

But, you should probably make a decision soon as the hotels and motels (up on Franklin and on Highland) are booking up faster than previous years.
"Movies touch our hearts and awaken our vision, and change the way we see things. They take us to other places, they open doors and minds. Movies are the memories of our life times, we need to keep them alive,"- Marty Scorsese

#5 butterfield008

butterfield008

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

Rundown is the last word I would use to describe the Roosevelt. It reeks of class and gorgeous architecture. I think sometimes people confuse historical with old. That building has been there for decades after all. During the festival it's just festival goers. Many areas are off limits without a pass so I wouldn't worry about the teenagers. However the discussion may be moot at this point because it is likely sold out by now. I've heard great things about the Loews. It's literally steps from Chinese multiplex 6 and right near the Roosevelt. It's very convenient being right on Hollywood blvd. It just lacks the history and old time glamour of the Roosevelt but u can't go wrong staying there. Also celebrity and liberty are about a block away and slightly cheaper but you don't want to be walking alone in Hollywood at 1 am by yourself trying to get to your hotel, that's the only thing. Whatever you choose you will have a blast!!

#6 Ellen1212

Ellen1212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

I hope to attend in 2014 for the first time, solo. I assume The Roosevelt hotel is preferred over Loews because it is the hosting hotel. But does anyone prefer Loews, if so, why? I saw some negative comments about The Roosevelt on Tripadvisor. According to some reviews, it is rundown and is full of partying teenagers on weekends. But I would hope that's not the case during the festival. Anyway, I would like to hear your take on both last year if you attended. Thanks, Ellen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users