We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Retro Trivia

• Please log in to reply
2973 replies to this topic

#1 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,846 posts

Posted Today, 09:47 AM

Well, that's all of them.  I didn't include Larry Mondello because I already had several of Beaver's buddies.  Joey Vieira was actually billed as Donald Keeler, because he was the nephew of Ruby Keeler, but Joey Vieira was his real name.  Thanks to Lavender, Lawrence, and Shutoo.  You were all 100% correct.    Lavender got six of them, so she gets to go next.  By the way, Lavender, do you remember Zelda's pet name for Dobie?

Thanks Miles. Zelda called Dobie something like Poopsy I think

2 Oscar nominated actors (for different films, nominated about a decade apart) were cast members in 2 different tv shows. The shows were similar, professions were similar and both shows were on tv during the same years. TV shows, the 2 actors and their character names???

#2 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,871 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:44 PM

Well, that's all of them.  I didn't include Larry Mondello because I already had several of Beaver's buddies.  Joey Vieira was actually billed as Donald Keeler, because he was the nephew of Ruby Keeler, but Joey Vieira was his real name.  Thanks to Lavender, Lawrence, and Shutoo.  You were all 100% correct.    Lavender got six of them, so she gets to go next.  By the way, Lavender, do you remember Zelda's pet name for Dobie?

#3 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,846 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:41 PM

1, Lassie, Jeff's best friend Corky - Joey Vieria

2. Dennis the Menace- Dennis' best friend Tommy- Billy Booth

3. Dennis the Menace, Margaret - Jeanne Russell

7. Ozzie and Harriet- Ricky's friend Wally- Skip Young

8. The Patty Duke Show, Patty's boyfriend Richard - Eddie Applegate

9. Dobbie Gillis- Zelda - Sheila James

Recognized everyone's character name that you asked about but had to look up some of their real names

#4 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,646 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Is #10 Stinky (Joe Besser) from The Abbott and Costello Show?

#5 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,354 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:14 AM

Well, I know the 'Beaver' buddies...

4. Stanley Fafara who playe Whitey Whitney

5. Stephen Talbot who was Gilbert ..,he had different last names I think

6. Jeri Weil, who was Judy Hensler...everyone's favorite tattletale

but no Larry Mondello?..Rusty Stevens (whose father was always away..)

d883475775356366609ba6c0c5be62f3.jpg

#6 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,871 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:00 AM

Now I'm wondering who you had in mind, Princess.

Now, Here are photos of actors and actresses who played friends or acquaintances of the stars on some 50's and 60's TV shows.  Can you name them?  Can you also tell us the show they were on and the character they played?

1.  f5f9fb0bce33929249a998c8414e0115--ruby-k

2.   Tommy.jpg

3.   Margaret-1st_season.jpg.opt287x242o0%2C0

4.  whiteyinthesoup.jpg

5.  570b51244f7e788e84dd2b1a0058fa62.jpg

6.  MV5BMTY0MzMwNDU1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTMw

7.   Skip%2BYoung.jpg

8.   hqdefault.jpg

9.   Sheila+James.jpg

10.   hqdefault.jpg

#7 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:09 PM

I have no idea. I only know that Vaughn was Oscar nominated and lost, and became a TV star a few years later. My second choice would be Eddie Albert, who was nominated for "Roman Holiday", but lost to Frank Sinatra, who was in "From Here to Eternity". That was in 1953, when Eddie Albert's wife, Margo, was known to be associated with some people who were suspected of having ties to the communist party. That was during the McCarthy era and the "Red Scare" that left many Hollywood veterans black-listed. Although Eddie Albert was on several TV shows in the fifties, he wouldn't become the star of "Green Acres" until 1965.
Princess, if your answer is neither Robert Vaughn or Eddie Albert, then I'm out of guesses.

Miles, I've always wondered why Eddie Albert wasn't recognized for that great performance in Roman Holiday.

He wasn't the actor I was thinking of, but your answer fits the criteria and I learned something from your research. Thanks.

Miles, as always, it's a pleasure to say you're up--

#8 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,871 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:42 PM

The actor referenced lost because of studio politics. Was that the case with Robert Vaughn?

I have no idea.  I only know that Vaughn was Oscar nominated and lost, and became a TV star a few years later.  My second choice would be Eddie Albert, who was nominated for "Roman Holiday", but lost to Frank Sinatra, who was in "From Here to Eternity".  That was in 1953, when Eddie Albert's wife, Margo, was known to be associated with some people who were suspected of having ties to the communist party.  That was during the McCarthy era and the "Red Scare" that left many Hollywood veterans black-listed.  Although Eddie Albert was on several TV shows in the fifties, he wouldn't become the star of "Green Acres" until 1965.

Princess, if your answer is neither Robert Vaughn or Eddie Albert, then I'm out of guesses.

#9 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:23 PM

Just a guess. Is it Robert Vaughn? He was Oscar nominated, but did not win for "The Young Philadelphians". A few years later he was starring in "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." on TV.

The actor referenced lost because of studio politics. Was that the case with Robert Vaughn?

#10 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,871 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:58 AM

Just a guess.  Is it Robert Vaughn?  He was Oscar nominated, but did not win for "The Young Philadelphians".  A few years later he was starring in "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." on TV.

#11 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:49 AM

Miles, Thanks for the Memories.

Next: This Hollywood actor never got over losing the Academy Award due to studio politics.

But his future wasn't in the movies anyway. A few years later he became one of the biggest stars on television.

Please identify the following: the actor, the Oscar loss and the TV show.

#12 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,871 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:58 PM

Yes, It was Vaughn Meader who impersonated President Kennedy.  Here is a clip:

Princess, you didn't mention the fellow who imitated Nixon.  It was David Frye.  He did other impersonations too, but he was best remembered for Nixon.  Here he is on the Smothers Brothers show in 1967, the year before Nixon ran against Hubert Humphrey.  This should bring back some memories.

Good work, Princess.  You're up next.

• Princess of Tap likes this

#13 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,209 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:49 AM

In the early sixties, there was a comedian who specialized in impersonating President Kennedy. He guested on many TV shows and he even made a best selling comedy album. After President Kennedy was assassinated, this comedian's career was never the same. What was this man's name?

Similarly, when Richard Nixon was running for president in 1968, and even after he became president, there was an impressionist who specialized in imitating him. Again, after Nixon left office, this comedian was rarely heard from. Can you name him? It's not Rich Little.

I had a copy of the First Family album by Vaughn Meader.

Ironically, Vaught Meader also looked a little bit like President Kennedy.

My favorite joke from the album was the Richard Nixon "Dumbwaiter".

When asked about the album, President Kennedy took it all in stride and said that Vaught Meader sounded more like his younger brother Teddy.

#14 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,871 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:26 PM

In the early sixties, there was a comedian who specialized in impersonating President Kennedy.  He guested on many TV shows and he even made a best selling comedy album.  After President Kennedy was assassinated, this comedian's career was never the same.  What was this man's name?

Similarly, when Richard Nixon was running for president in 1968, and even after he became president, there was an impressionist who specialized in imitating him.  Again, after Nixon left office, this comedian was rarely heard from.  Can you name him?  It's not Rich Little.

#15 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,846 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:50 PM

Thanks Miles, I'm leaving the thread open

#16 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,871 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:43 PM

100%, Lavender.  That qualifies you as a true boomer cowgirl.  Good work.  Now it's your turn.

#17 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,846 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:06 AM

OK. I guess it was too difficult, so now I'll give you the twelve answers.  You just have to match them with the correct ranches.

A.  The Virginian

B.  The Big Valley

C.  Sky King

D.  My Friend Flicka

E.  Hopalong Cassidy

F.  Bonanza

G.  Empire (later Redigo)

H.  The Roy Rogers Show

I.  Laramie

J.  Gene Autry

K.  Spin And Marty (on The Mickey Mouse Club)

L.  Fury

Some I remember, some I looked up

1. Double R Ranch - Roy Rogers

2. Bar 20 - Hopalong Cassidy

3. Broken Wheel - Fury

4. Goose Bar -  My Friend Flicka

5. Flying Crown - Sky King

6. Triple R - Spin and Marty

7.  Shiloh - The Virginian 

8.  Melody - Gene Autry ?

9.  Ponderosa - Bonanza

10. Barkley - The Big Valley

Garrett- Redigo and Empire ??

Sherman - Laramie ?

#18 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,871 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:53 AM

Well buckaroos, it's time to jog your memory.  Many of our western stars were in movies and TV shows where they lived on a ranch.  I was going to have you name those ranches, but instead, I'll make it a little easier.  I'll list the ranches.  All you have to do is tell us what TV show or western star that ranch is associated with.  Are you ready, pardner?

1.  The Double-R Bar Ranch

2.  The Bar-20 Ranch

3.  The Broken Wheel Ranch

4.  The Goose Bar Ranch

5.  The Flying Crown Ranch

6.  The Triple R Ranch

7.  The Shiloh Ranch

8.  The Melody Ranch

9.  The Ponderosa

10.  The Barkley Ranch

Bonus Ranches:

11.  The Garrett Ranch

12.  The Sherman Ranch

The last two are not as well known.

OK. I guess it was too difficult, so now I'll give you the twelve answers.  You just have to match them with the correct ranches.

A.  The Virginian

B.  The Big Valley

C.  Sky King

D.  My Friend Flicka

E.  Hopalong Cassidy

F.  Bonanza

G.  Empire (later Redigo)

H.  The Roy Rogers Show

I.  Laramie

J.  Gene Autry

K.  Spin And Marty (on The Mickey Mouse Club)

L.  Fury

#19 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,871 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

Well buckaroos, it's time to jog your memory.  Many of our western stars were in movies and TV shows where they lived on a ranch.  I was going to have you name those ranches, but instead, I'll make it a little easier.  I'll list the ranches.  All you have to do is tell us what TV show or western star that ranch is associated with.  Are you ready, pardner?

1.  The Double-R Bar Ranch

2.  The Bar-20 Ranch

3.  The Broken Wheel Ranch

4.  The Goose Bar Ranch

5.  The Flying Crown Ranch

6.  The Triple R Ranch

7.  The Shiloh Ranch

8.  The Melody Ranch

9.  The Ponderosa

10.  The Barkley Ranch

Bonus Ranches:

11.  The Garrett Ranch

12.  The Sherman Ranch

The last two are not as well known.

#20 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,846 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

is it Jerry Mathers of "Leave It To Beaver" fame?

Correct Miles. Jerry Mathers when he was 5 years old, played the role of little Ricky in the 1953 episode of

I Love Lucy. In the episode, Ricky's Old Girlfriend, Lucy has a dream that takes place over 25 years. Jerry Mathers in the dream sequence is sitting on Lucy's lap in front of a theater begging. She is dreaming that Ricky has left her and Little Ricky for his old girlfriend Carlotta.

Good work Miles, your thread  :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)