We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Retro Trivia

• Please log in to reply
2637 replies to this topic

#1 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,788 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:35 PM

I think that's GO JIMMY GO.

Miles, your grandmother was not the only person who loved.Frankie Avalon singing Venus.

Hearing that song again reminds me of a special place, and a special time.

( Next question is still below.)

#2 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,788 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:28 PM

Even though dad was doing work for different studios, it was Perc that headed the first studio department set up exclusively for makeup at First National in 1924, and as you noted, he later went to Warner Bros. Brother Bud was at Universal, and brother Wally at Paramount.

Part two..your guess makes a lot of sense,but it's not the one

First National became part of Warner Brothers in 1928.

Although I hate to use it as a source, but my Wiki Source says that George set up the first Studio makeup Department in 1917 at Selig. And hopfully you must have a better Source than Wiki.LOL

And for the bonus question, Planet of the Apes was the only other choice. Since it's was just a bonus question I'll go on with the next question.

Next--Speaking of retro rock and roll - - it was The Killer himself Jerry Lee Lewis who said rock and roll was killed by all them "Bobby's".

Who is The Killer referring to and can you give the name of at least one hit for each Bobby?

Hint: There were more than two and fewer than a half-dozen.
Hint#2: Frankie Avalon's and Fabian's real names were not Bobby.

#3 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:33 PM

George Westmore was the dean of the Westmore makeup family. He started as the head of the makeup department at Selig and was also at Triangle. He created the fake Mary Pickford curls that she sometimes needed if she was too tired to curl her own.

His son Perc Westmore was the head of Warner Brothers makeup for years and always had Bette Davis looking her best.

For your bonus question I'm just guessing the Elephant Man.

Even though dad was doing work for different studios, it was Perc that headed  the first studio department set up exclusively for makeup at First National in 1924, and as you noted, he later went to Warner Bros.  Brother Bud was at Universal, and brother Wally at Paramount.

Part two..your guess makes a lot of sense,but it's not the one

#4 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:07 PM

While Jimmy Clanton had a song called "Go, Jimmy, Go", he actually starred in a 1959 movie called "Go, Johnny, Go", where he was called Johnny Melody.  Ritchie Valens was also in the movie, which was released a few months after his death.  Check out this clip.

We are still waiting for Shutoo to respond to Princess's answer.

• Princess of Tap likes this

#5 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,832 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:00 PM

Has it really been that long since they were big stars?  One YouTube comment for Frankie Avalon's "Venus" is "My grandmother loved that song".  And Shutoo, you had to look up Jimmy Clanton?  Why, one of his movies, "Go, Johnny, Go" was shown on TCM not long ago.  I guarantee that some of our veteran posters remember those songs.  Here is Frankie with Dick Clark in 1959.  Does everyone remember Dick Clark?

Jimmy Clanton had this hit in 1962.

Here is Shocking Blue from 1968.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPEhQugz-Ew 

Apparently musical styles had changed in just a few years.  OK, Shutoo, now that everyone is feeling very old, you get to go next.

• Princess of Tap likes this

#6 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,788 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:20 PM

Thanks MilesArcher...of course we remember Dick Clark--he's the guy with the Pyramid ​game show, right? B)

For a change, some questions about people behind the scenes:

Max Factor was famous for introducing the first makeup for the screen, Supreme Greasepaint in 1914. Do you know the first head of a studio makeup department? His career spanned 45 years, and other family members eventually got into the 'business' too.

Speaking of makeup..do you know what film required the longest make-up job ever? It's not a monster film...but it took 9 people 2 days to perfect the look on just one actor.

George Westmore was the dean of the Westmore makeup family. He started as the head of the makeup department at Selig and was also at Triangle. He created the fake Mary Pickford curls that she sometimes needed if she was too tired to curl her own.

His son Perc Westmore was the head of Warner Brothers makeup for years and always had Bette Davis looking her best.

For your bonus question I'm just guessing the Elephant Man.

#7 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:10 PM

Thanks MilesArcher...of course we remember Dick Clark--he's the guy with the Pyramid ​game show, right? B) 

For a change, some questions about people behind the scenes: 

Max Factor was famous for introducing the first makeup for the screen, Supreme Greasepaint in 1914.  Do you know the first head of a studio makeup department?  His career spanned 45 years, and other family members eventually got into the 'business' too.

Speaking of makeup..do you know what film required the longest make-up job ever?  It's not a monster film...but it took 9 people 2 days to perfect the look on just one actor.

#8 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:52 AM

Has it really been that long since they were big stars?  One YouTube comment for Frankie Avalon's "Venus" is "My grandmother loved that song".  And Shutoo, you had to look up Jimmy Clanton?  Why, one of his movies, "Go, Johnny, Go" was shown on TCM not long ago.  I guarantee that some of our veteran posters remember those songs.  Here is Frankie with Dick Clark in 1959.  Does everyone remember Dick Clark?

Jimmy Clanton had this hit in 1962.

Here is Shocking Blue from 1968.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPEhQugz-Ew 

Apparently musical styles had changed in just a few years.  OK, Shutoo, now that everyone is feeling very old, you get to go next.

• lavenderblue19, LawrenceA and Princess of Tap like this

#9 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

Venus--​Frankie Avalon

Venus in Blue Jeans​--Jimmy Clanton (had to look him up...)

Venus--​Shocking Blue                

?

#10 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:07 PM

Thanks, Lav.  My first thought was Julie Adams, who was in "The Creature From The Black Lagoon", but she was not a regular on any fifties TV series.  Phyllis Kirk was my next guess.

Now, this next one should be pretty easy.  I should have thought of it for Valentine's Day.

The roman goddess who was Cupid's mother was the subject of a hit song by a popular young singer in the late fifties.  In the early sixties, her name appeared in the title of another hit song by another young singer, then in the late sixties, her name was again in the title of a hit song, but this time it was by a musical group.  Can you name all three songs and the artists who performed them?   

#11 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:02 PM

My guess is Phyllis Kirk.  She was in "House Of Wax" with Vincent Price, and a few years later she co-starred with Peter Lawford in "The Thin Man" TV series.

All correct Miles, Phyllis Kirk, House of Wax starring Vincent Price and The Thin Man tv show with Peter Lawford. Too bad that show is not shown in re-run, loved it when it was first on. Good work, your thread

#12 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:26 AM

My guess is Phyllis Kirk.  She was in "House Of Wax" with Vincent Price, and a few years later she co-starred with Peter Lawford in "The Thin Man" TV series.

#13 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:59 PM

Thanks Miles :)

Probably the best known work this actress did was in a famous horror movie a few years later in the same decade she also co-starred in a popular tv series that unfortunately only lasted 2 seasons.  Actress, film and tv show ???

#14 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:21 AM

You are correct, Lavender.  In "Private Secretary", Ann Sothern played Susie McNamara, secretary to Don Porter.  Ann Tyrell played her friend, Vi.  When the show went into reruns, it was retitled "Susie",  In "The Ann Sothern Show", Ann plays Katy O'Connor, the assistant manager of a hotel.  Don Porter plays her boss, and Ann Tyrell plays her assistant, Olive.

Here is an episode featuring her old friend, Lucy Ricardo.

I wonder if speedracer5 has seen this.

It's your turn now, Lavender.

#15 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

Thanks.  In the fifties, a TV sitcom ran for several years and starred a well known movie actress.  The season after the series ended, that same actress and the two other regular cast members from the first show, starred in yet another half hour comedy show with a completely different setting.  The new show ran for about three years.  Can you name the two shows, as well as the three main cast members?

Private Secretary and The Ann Sothern Show, ??Both shows starred Ann Sothern, Don Porter and Ann Tyrell ???

#16 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:35 AM

Thanks.  In the fifties, a TV sitcom ran for several years and starred a well known movie actress.  The season after the series ended, that same actress and the two other regular cast members from the first show, starred in yet another half hour comedy show with a completely different setting.  The new show ran for about three years.  Can you name the two shows, as well as the three main cast members?

#17 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

Meredith MacRae?  "My Three Sons" and "Petticoat Junction"?

Correct Miles, good work your thread  :)

#18 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:16 PM

Meredith MacRae?  "My Three Sons" and "Petticoat Junction"?

#19 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,271 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:11 PM

Thanks Miles  :)

This pretty actress was seen quite a few times on tv in the '60's. She played the girlfriend of one of the co-stars who played the son in at least 5 or 5 episodes in a long running tv show and as the daughter on another long running tv show. Actress and the 2 tv shows ??

#20 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:22 AM

Those are the three, Lavender.  Good job.  The thread is yours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users