We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Retro Trivia

• Please log in to reply
2860 replies to this topic

#1 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,350 posts

Posted Today, 07:03 AM

This very popular Classic TV musical variety series had a classical waltz for its theme song.

When you identify the show, can you also name the star, the classical waltz and its composer.

#2 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,650 posts

Posted Today, 05:05 AM

Thanks Miles. My mom loved Liberace and his tv show. We even had a candelabra on our piano, that's how much my mom loved him. One of my regrets is that my mom never got to see him perform live.

Since we seem to be playing back and forth with each other in this thread Miles, I'll pass and leave the thread open this round so someone else can come up with a challenging question.

THREAD OPEN

#3 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,655 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:59 PM

Very good, Lavender.   Here is a picture of George. 

hqdefault.jpg

Yes, the song was "Mr. Sandman".  "And lots of wavy hair like Liberace".

liberace-3.jpg

Here are The Chordettes with Dick Clark.

In case you want to sing along, here are the lyrics

"(scat "****, ****, ****, ****" 26 bungs in all)

Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream (****, ****, ****, ****)
Make him the cutest that I've ever seen (****, ****, ****, ****)
Give him two lips like roses and clover (****, ****, ****, ****)
Then tell him that his lonesome nights are over.
Sandman, I'm so alone
Don't have nobody to call my own
Please turn on your magic beam
Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream.

(scat "****, ****, ****, ****".)

Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream
Make him the cutest that I've ever seen
Give him the word that I'm not a rover
Then tell him that his lonesome nights are over.
Sandman, I'm so alone
Don't have nobody to call my own
Please turn on your magic beam
Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream.

(scat "****, ****, ****, ****")

Mr. Sandman (male voice: "Yesss?") bring us a dream
Give him a pair of eyes with a "come-hither" gleam
Give him a lonely heart like Pagliacci
And lots of wavy hair like Liberace
Mr Sandman, someone to hold (someone to hold)
Would be so peachy before we're too old
So please turn on your magic beam
Mr Sandman, bring us, please, please, please
Mr Sandman, bring us a dream.

(scat "****, ****, ****, ****".) "

Good work.  It's your thread now, Lavender.

• Princess of Tap likes this

#4 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,650 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:29 AM

Thanks, Lav.  Now, this next one is for the real veterans here.  Liberace once had his own TV series where he featured his brother.  What was the brother's name and what instrument did he play?

Now, the real trivia question.  What popular fifties song mentions Liberace in the lyrics?

George, Liberace's brother played the violin. The song Mr. Sandman mentions Liberace, Vaughn Monroe had a version and

The Cordettes had a version of this hit song.

#5 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,655 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:12 AM

Thanks, Lav.  Now, this next one is for the real veterans here.  Liberace once had his own TV series where he featured his brother.  What was the brother's name and what instrument did he play?

Now, the real trivia question.  What popular fifties song mentions Liberace in the lyrics?

#6 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,650 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:15 PM

I think that might be Doris Packer.  She played Mrs. Sohmers on "The Burns And Allen Show".  She was Mrs. Chatsworth Osborne Sr. on "The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis", and at the same time, she played the elementary school principal, Mrs. Rayburn, on "Leave It To Beaver".

3efac35803c87e5ff9d932daf56f8665.jpg

Correct Miles, Doris Packer. A very familiar face on classic tv. Doris Packer also played the character Clarice Armitage mother of Milton Armitage ( Warren Beatty)  before she played the character Mrs. Osborne on Dobie. Excellent character actress, Good work Miles, your thread 

#7 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,655 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:08 PM

I think that might be Doris Packer.  She played Mrs. Sohmers on "The Burns And Allen Show".  She was Mrs. Chatsworth Osborne Sr. on "The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis", and at the same time, she played the elementary school principal, Mrs. Rayburn, on "Leave It To Beaver".

3efac35803c87e5ff9d932daf56f8665.jpg

#8 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,650 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:31 AM

Thanks Miles

Thru out the years this character actress has been seen on classic tv shows as a regular .A very popular comedy in the '50's as a rich society woman, a rich mother in another very popular '60's comedy series and a working woman in another hit '50's-.60's tv show. Actress, and the 3 tv series mentioned in the clues ???? (extra for the names of the characters)

#9 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,655 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:11 PM

That's correct, Lavender.  She was the daughter of the show's producer, Paul Henning.  She was billed as Linda Kaye for the first few seasons of "Petticoat Junction".

046_3.jpg 

Good work, Lavender.  You're up next. 

#10 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,650 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:39 AM

Thanks, Lav.  Now, in the first year of "The Beverly Hillbillies", Max Baer Jr. played both Jethro and Jethro's sister, Jethrine.  However, Jethrine's voice was provided by an actress who would later be a regular on another sitcom.  Who was that actress.  For bonus points, who played the mother of Jethro and Jethrine?  

Linda Henning provided the voice of Jethrine, she  played Betty Jo on Petticoat Junction. Bea Benaderet played Jethro's and Jethrine's mother on The Beverly Hillbillies

#11 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,655 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:42 PM

Here's a hint:  The actress who played the mother of Jethro and Jethrine, and the actress who provided the voice of Jethrine, ended up on a sitcom together a few years later, playing mother and daughter.

#12 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,655 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:50 AM

Thanks, Lav.  Now, in the first year of "The Beverly Hillbillies", Max Baer Jr. played both Jethro and Jethro's sister, Jethrine.  However, Jethrine's voice was provided by an actress who would later be a regular on another sitcom.  Who was that actress.  For bonus points, who played the mother of Jethro and Jethrine?  

#13 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,650 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:54 AM

I believe the guy is Eddie Albert.  He was Oscar nominated for "Roman Holiday" and "The Heartbreak Kid" about nineteen years apart.  He turned down the lead roles in "My Three Sons" and "Mr. Ed".  He eventually accepted to lead role in "Green Acres".

Correct Miles, Eddie Albert was offered the role of Steve Douglas on MY THREE SONS first before Fred McMurray and turned down the role, he was also offered the role of Wilbur on MR. ED before Alan Young and tuned that role down. He finally accepted the role of Oliver in GREEN ACRES.

I'm glad it all turned out that way, all those roles I think were cast perfectly. Good Work Miles, your thread  :)

#14 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,655 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:03 AM

An Oscar nominated actor was offered the lead role in 2 tv comedies. He turned down the roles. Both shows were big long running hits but eventually he accepted the role in another tv show and that turned out to be a big hit. Who's the guy, the 2 shows he turned down and the one he starred in ????

I believe the guy is Eddie Albert.  He was Oscar nominated for "Roman Holiday" and "The Heartbreak Kid" about nineteen years apart.  He turned down the lead roles in "My Three Sons" and "Mr. Ed".  He eventually accepted to lead role in "Green Acres".

#15 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,650 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:12 AM

The tv show the actor accepted the role in ran in the 1960's into the 1970's

#16 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,650 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:43 AM

He was nominated twice for Oscars about 20 years apart. 

#17 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,650 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

Thanks Shutoo  :) I agree, her story certainly is very interesting.

next

An Oscar nominated actor was offered the lead role in 2 tv comedies. He turned down the roles. Both shows were big long running hits but eventually he accepted the role in another tv show and that turned out to be a big hit. Who's the guy, the 2 shows he turned down and the one he starred in ????

#18 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:59 AM

Maybe Evelyn Nesbit?

evelynnesbitstearoom.jpg

She's the one!  her 'Evelyn Nesbit's Specialty Shop' was on West 52nd St.,  She lived in the rooms upstairs, and claimed she made the apple pie and ice cream herself.  ​The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing being the fictionalized account of her life, and Murder of the Century ​episode of PBS's American Experience series...she had a handful of film roles...I always find the story surrounding her interesting.

Your thread, lavenderblue!

#19 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,650 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

lavenderblue--right on both!

The Skipper owned Alan Hale's Lobster Barrel, and was known to drop in frequently to chat with guests

29b0ce1c7e2d296adfb998a141d569e6.jpg

3.  Both Dean and Jerry had eateries sporting their names..Dean was first..wonder if this was just a way of extending the feud..Jerry 'stole' two of Dean's chefs and his maitre'd

1404356030-1.jpg

Thanks MilesArcher for the great shots of Thelma Todd's Café--the cover-up surrounding her death has always interested me.

Still no answer on number one...remember, she was known more for scandal than her stage or screen work...and she was a very famous, recognizable woman in her time. Not only was her story told in a film bio, it was featured in an episode of PBS American Experience

Maybe Evelyn Nesbit?

#20 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,655 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:15 AM

Could number 1 be Texas Guinan?  I know she owned nightclubs, but I never heard about a tea room.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users