We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Retro Trivia

• Please log in to reply
2775 replies to this topic

#1 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted Today, 02:20 PM

Thanks lavenderblue19..I only discovered The Goldbergs​ more recently on YouTube

This is sort of an open question:  I can think of six sitcoms from the 50's-60's that starred real-life married couples portraying  on-screen couples...can you name the six, and perhaps some I've missed?

#2 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,437 posts

Posted Today, 05:41 AM

Very good Shutoo. Gertrude Berg is correct. Gertrude started her character of Mrs. Goldberg on the radio, a character she invented. She wrote the scripts. The Goldbergs was on tv for 5 years. Although largely forgotten today, she was well known in the 50's. My parents and our neighbors watched the show and I vaugely remember hearing Youhoo, Mrs. Goldberg, ( I was very little at the time) a line that was famous from the tv show. Her 2 shows have been in re-runs, The Gertrude Berg Show is shown in the mornings. A very intelligent, talented woman and by all accounts a very lovely and nice woman who was involved in many humanitarian causes.

Great work Shutoo, your thread.

#3 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:51 PM

Gertrude Berg  ?  The Goldbergs and The Gertrude Berg Show 

#4 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,437 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:38 PM

Thanks Miles

This talented actress/writer wrote her own scripts for her tv show than ran for 5 years and had a second tv show, that did not run as long. They were comedies. Actress and the 2 tv shows???

#5 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,511 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:11 PM

Mary Jane Croft was one that I was thinking of.  I didn't think about Hillary.  My other actress was Madge Blake, who was in both "The Real McCoys" as Flora MacMichael and "Leave It To Beaver" as Mrs Mondello.  Good work, Lav.  It's your turn now.

#6 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,437 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

As you may know, Richard Deacon had recurring or semi-regular roles on two TV series simultaneously.  He played Fred Rutherford on "Leave It To Beaver" and Mel Cooley on "The Dick Van Dyke Show".  The last few seasons of "Beaver" overlapped with the first few seasons of "Van Dyke".  Can you name two actresses who were in the same situation, where they were in recurring roles in two TV series at the same time?  The time would be the 1950's.  Actually, it would be mid to late 1950's.  

Mary Jane Croft- The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet as Clara Randolph, 1955 to 1966, I Love Lucy as Betty Ramsey 1954 to 1857 and she was also the voice of Cleo the Dog on The People's Choice during the same time period, (1955-1958)

Hillary Brooke appeared on The Abbott and Costello Show from 1952 to 1953 and also played Roberta on My Little Margie from

1952 to 1955

I'm taking a shot with Hillary since she and Mary Jane were the 2 that came to mind

?????????????

#7 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,511 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:49 PM

As you may know, Richard Deacon had recurring or semi-regular roles on two TV series simultaneously.  He played Fred Rutherford on "Leave It To Beaver" and Mel Cooley on "The Dick Van Dyke Show".  The last few seasons of "Beaver" overlapped with the first few seasons of "Van Dyke".  Can you name two actresses who were in the same situation, where they were in recurring roles in two TV series at the same time?  The time would be the 1950's.  Actually, it would be mid to late 1950's.  

#8 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

I believe they went swimming at Miller's Pond.  There were several vacation spots mentioned, including Friends Lake, Shadow Lake, Crescent Lake, and Crystal Falls.  I don't know the name of the park where they played sports.  Could it be simply City Park?

In my previous question, I asked for Beaver's elementary school.  It was Grant Avenue Grammar School.

Friends Lake was the one usually mentioned. The athletic field was Metzger's Field. Your turn.

#9 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:53 PM

They play ball at Metzger's Field

Was watching Indestructible Man​ on tcm the other day, and seeing Max Showalter (Ward Cleaver in the pilot) made me think of Beaver...and how wise they were to change the casting.

#10 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,511 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:41 PM

I believe they went swimming at Miller's Pond.  There were several vacation spots mentioned, including Friends Lake, Shadow Lake, Crescent Lake, and Crystal Falls.  I don't know the name of the park where they played sports.  Could it be simply City Park?

In my previous question, I asked for Beaver's elementary school.  It was Grant Avenue Grammar School.

#11 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

I saw Sue Randall the other night on Perry Mason playing a very dramatic role.
Seriously, she really does resemble my second grade teacher.

Getting back to my question, I'm looking for ___________Pond and _________Lake. To add to the question, when the boys play sports, they play at ___________Field.

#12 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:56 PM

She was my second grade teacher...................Staying with Beaver, Name two bodies of water that the kids or families went to for recreation.

I saw Sue Randall the other night on Perry Mason playing a very dramatic role.
Seriously, she really does resemble my second grade teacher.

#13 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

Very good, DGF.  

c96bc5cbf695d6ad4f9f50b49b80fbc5.jpg

Diane Brewster

Beaver170.jpg

Sue Randall 

Sue Randall was a Philly girl.  Perhaps you knew her, DGF?  You're up next.

She was my second grade teacher...................Staying with Beaver, Name two bodies of water that the kids or families went to for recreation.

#14 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,511 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:31 AM

Very good, DGF.  

c96bc5cbf695d6ad4f9f50b49b80fbc5.jpg

Diane Brewster

Beaver170.jpg

Sue Randall 

Sue Randall was a Philly girl.  Perhaps you knew her, DGF?  You're up next.

#15 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:55 PM

Off the top of my head, I know it was Miss Landers and Miss Canfield.

Sue Randall played Miss Landers. Diane Brewster played Miss Canfield.

#16 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:52 AM

My mistake.  Lloyd Corrigan played Wally's father on "The Adventures Of Ozzie and Harriet".  That's what I first looked at before looking at "Leave It To Beaver".  It was indeed Karl Swenson as George Haskell.

Now. staying with "Leave It To Beaver", Beaver had two teachers in elementary school.  The first actress only appeared in a few episodes before she was replaced by another actress.  Can you name the two actresses and their character's names?  Bonus points if you can name the elementary school where they taught.

Off the top of my head, I know it was Miss Landers and Miss Canfield.

#17 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,511 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:42 AM

Karl Swenson also played George Haskell. Your turn.

My mistake.  Lloyd Corrigan played Wally's father on "The Adventures Of Ozzie and Harriet".  That's what I first looked at before looking at "Leave It To Beaver".  It was indeed Karl Swenson as George Haskell.

Now. staying with "Leave It To Beaver", Beaver had two teachers in elementary school.  The first actress only appeared in a few episodes before she was replaced by another actress.  Can you name the two actresses and their character's names?  Bonus points if you can name the elementary school where they taught.

#18 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:15 AM

I had to work a bit to find this answer.  On "Leave It To Beaver", the father of Eddie Haskell was played by Lloyd Corrigan as George Haskell, George Petrie as George Haskell, and John Alvin as Frank Haskell.  They made rather infrequent appearances.  Since Eddie always referred to his father as "my old man", none of the viewers really knew what his first name was.

Karl Swenson also played George Haskell. Your turn.

#19 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,511 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:11 AM

I had to work a bit to find this answer.  On "Leave It To Beaver", the father of Eddie Haskell was played by Lloyd Corrigan as George Haskell, George Petrie as George Haskell, and John Alvin as Frank Haskell.  They made rather infrequent appearances.  Since Eddie always referred to his father as "my old man", none of the viewers really knew what his first name was.

#20 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:43 PM

Yes you are. This was the father of a juvenile.

Hint: This juvenile is an iconic supporting character in sitcom history.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users