We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Retro Trivia

• Please log in to reply
2931 replies to this topic

#1 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:15 PM

Let's stick with Lawrence Welk--

I can remember very well in the late 50s that after Lawrence Welk, my family didn't turn the channel but also watched the next program.

It was a very popular sitcom, which often also featured some musical interludes.

So we need the show that followed Welk, as well as the Network.

No fair peeking in wiki!

#2 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,793 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:14 PM

Alice Lon is correct, Princess.  I don'r know if Mrs. Welk was behind it or not, but the rumor is that Alice Lon was fired for showing too much leg.  Cissy King was supposedly let go because she wanted a big raise.  Here is a clip of Alice Lon.

Good job, Princess.  You get to go next.

#3 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:04 AM

We all remember "The Lawrence Welk show" with Norma Zimmer as "The Champagne Lady". However, when Welk's TV show started in the fifties, there was a different "Champagne Lady". Can you name her? She was eventually let go in a dispute over money, but the rumor was that she was let go for another reason. Do you know what that rumored reason was?

Alice Lon-- I can remember reading a great article in TV Guide around I don't know 1958. She was very big. it seems as though the only people who ever left Lawrence and got bigger were the Lennon Sisters and Lynn Anderson.
Everybody else fell at the Wayside.

I don't know for sure, but I heard the same rumor when they let the dancer Cissy go too--

It wasn't Lawrence who fired them, but Mrs. Welk.

#4 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,793 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:05 PM

We all remember "The Lawrence Welk show" with Norma Zimmer as "The Champagne Lady".  However, when Welk's TV show started in the fifties, there was a different "Champagne Lady".  Can you name her?  She was eventually let go in a dispute over money, but the rumor was that she was let go for another reason.  Do you know what that rumored reason was? 

#5 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:48 PM

open thread

#6 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,793 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:34 AM

Yes, the group was known as "The Newton Brothers".  Wayne had a very high singing voice in those days.  You can see them in this clip at about the 30 minute mark.  The rest of the clip is pretty good too.

http://www.dailymoti.../video/x2cn4vc 

Shutoo, you're up next.

#7 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:46 AM

Wayne Newton

#8 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,793 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:53 AM

In the early sixties, Jackie Gleason had a variety show that was on Saturday nights for two seasons.  He frequently had a band made up of brothers as musical guests.  They were his discovery.  The lead singer of the band was rather young at the time.  He would go on to become a very well known entertainer.  Do you know who that young man was?  

#9 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

I think no. 8 is Billy De Wolfe from "Good Morning World".  He played a dog groomer on an episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show".

No. 11 may be Florida Friebus, the mom on "Dobie Gillis".   She had a recurring role on "The Bob Newhart Show", which was an MTM production.

Shutoo, this question may be a bit too involved.  It's been up for about two weeks.  Maybe it's time to move on.

Okay:

6.  Richard Schaal was talk show host Stevie Parsons on The Dick Van Dyke Show; he was both Howard and Paul Arnell in The Mary Tyler Moore Show ​(and was once Chuckles the Clown in full makeup); he was a regular on the spinoff ​Phyllis 

8.  Billy De Wolfe was the station manager in ​Good Morning World ​(first tv credits for Goldie Hawn); he ran the Jules Benedict workshop on ​That Girl, ​ and he was the annoyed neighbor who bought the building in ​The Doris Day Show.

9.  Bill Quinn was the 'recurring admiral' on ​McHale's Navy; ​he was Mary's newly retired dad on the MTM Show; ​NYC hypochondriac= Felix Unger...he was Dr. Melnitz on several episodes of ​The Odd Couple.

11.  When The Goldbergs moved from NYC to the 'burbs, Florida Friebus was one of the first neighbors Molly met; she was the mom on The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis​, and spent 6 years as part of the therapy group on The Bob Newhart Show.

12.  Bernie Kopell was KAOS agent Seigfried on Get Smart; he worked with Don Hollinger, and eventually moved next door to That Girl; there aren't many witches in sitcoms...he was the apothecary to the witches on Bewitched. ​(not in initial question, but his MTM link was as her blind date, arranged by Rhoda's mother)

Open post...bye bye...

#10 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,793 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:11 PM

I think no. 8 is Billy De Wolfe from "Good Morning World".  He played a dog groomer on an episode of "The Dick Van Dyke Show".

No. 11 may be Florida Friebus, the mom on "Dobie Gillis".   She had a recurring role on "The Bob Newhart Show", which was an MTM production.

Shutoo, this question may be a bit too involved.  It's been up for about two weeks.  Maybe it's time to move on.

#11 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:01 PM

6. Doris Roberts ?

7. Nancy Dussault ?

I'm gonna assume you switched the numbers...because 7=Doris Roberts--She owned the newsstand next to the café where her title daughter Angie ​worked; she won her Emmy's for portraying the wonderfully overbearing Marie Barone on Everybody Loves Raymond; she continued to haunt Patricia Heaton on ​The Middle.  ​Her MTM link is a small one, but fellow addicts of ​The Mary Tyler Moore Show ​might recall that she played the employment office employee that interviews a hapless Cloris Leachman when Phyllis needs a job.

still unanswered...6, 8, 9, 11 and 12....anybody?

#12 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,793 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:55 PM

6. Doris Roberts ?

7. Nancy Dussault ?

#13 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

Ouch--this is going nowhere....so below in the original posts, I've added in bold type​ new clues to each that should wrap this up...

it just got easier...I added something to each clue ...original post question and remaining unanswered: 

sitcom characters: some actors showed up in a lot of sitcoms over the years; below are 12 examples..the clues are the 'jobs' they had in a sitcom (could be recurring..could be memorable one shot)..they are listed in order (oldest first) and the programs range from the early 50s to the present. Name as many as you like, and for genius points, the three tv shows that are referenced. (hint--they are not the stars in any of the examples)

added 8/8: the six left unanswered ALL have a link to Mary..either in a MTM production, or appearing with her on another show (but not necessarily the clues listed)...hmmmmmm

6. talk show host in NYC...speech writer/his lovestruck brother...San Francisco photographer..​all three have a link to Mary Tyler Moore

7. coffee shop adjacent newsstand owner...​won four Emmy's for playing a meddling mother ...Midwest grade school teacher

8. LA radio station manager...ran an actor's workshop in NYC...grumpy neighbor turned landlord...​but his MTM link was as a dog groomer

9. an admiral...retired surgeon who frets about his daughter...doctor (general practice) who makes house calls in NYC​ to a neat hypochondriac 

11. Haverville housewife...worked in a small grocery store...worked in a larger grocery store, and talked about it often ​in Chicago

12. a foreign agent of an evil organization...NYC magazine writer/later also neighbor to star...apothecary to witches

#14 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:35 PM

No. 2   Nancy Walker - "Family Affair", "McMillan And Wife", and "Rhoda" ?

right! Walker was added in the last season of Family Affair; was the wise-cracking Mildred that evidently came as part of Sally McMillan's 'dowry' (never really understood this...but it went downhill when she left the series), and of course, was Rhoda's mom (first on ​The Mary Tyler Moore Show--on which she mentioned a son who evidently vanished, and was the mother of a different Brenda) 

Yes, she had a strong Mary Tyler Moore link..and in fact, the six left unanswered ALL have a link to Mary..either in a MTM production, or appearing with her on another show (but not necessarily the clues listed)...hmmmmmm

#15 MilesArcher

MilesArcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,793 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:13 AM

No. 2   Nancy Walker - "Family Affair", "McMillan And Wife", and "Rhoda" ?

#16 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:06 PM

it just got easier...I added something to each clue ...original post question and remaining unanswered: 

sitcom characters: some actors showed up in a lot of sitcoms over the years; below are 12 examples..the clues are the 'jobs' they had in a sitcom (could be recurring..could be memorable one shot)..they are listed in order (oldest first) and the programs range from the early 50s to the present. Name as many as you like, and for genius points, the three tv shows that are referenced. (hint--they are not the stars in any of the examples)

2. east coast housekeeper(apartment)...west coast outspoken housekeeper in a crime/drama...short mother with a very clean home(EDIT..one of these roles was not a sitcom, but the actress did add comical touch..sorry for my oversight)

6. talk show host in NYC...speech writer/his lovestruck brother...San Francisco photographer

7. coffee shop adjacent newsstand owner...meddling mother...Midwest grade school teacher

8. LA radio station manager...ran an actor's workshop in NYC...grumpy neighbor turned landlord

9. an admiral...retired surgeon who frets about his daughter...doctor (general practice) who makes house calls in NYC

11. Haverville housewife...worked in a small grocery store...worked in a larger grocery store, and talked about it often

12. a foreign agent of an evil organization...NYC magazine writer/later also neighbor to star...apothecary

#17 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

I screwed nimber ten up...(Beaver principal, etiquette guide in Andy Griffith okay; 2nd clue wrong..list I wrote and pasted from got jumbled)

Well, this isn't going well, is it? If no guesses, I'll add some more to the lists..bigger roles, whatever...

Then are you saying neither Doris nor Eleanor are correct for number 10?

One more mistake like that one Sergeant Shutoo, and you'll have to go back to being one of Tom Barnaby's Constables.

I, for one, would love to be one of Tom Barnaby's Constables.

#18 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:30 PM

For number 10, I wanted to say Doris Packer, who was Mrs. Chatsworth Osborne on Dobie Gillis, AKA " Mumsy ", but I didn't think that she fit all of the criteria.

Although, I believe she was Beaver's principal.

I screwed nimber ten up...(Beaver principal, etiquette guide in Andy Griffith okay; 2nd clue wrong..list I wrote and pasted from got jumbled)

Well, this isn't going well, is it?  If no guesses, I'll add some more to the lists..bigger roles, whatever...

#19 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:36 AM

For number 10, I wanted to say Doris Packer, who was Mrs. Chatsworth Osborne on Dobie Gillis, AKA " Mumsy ", but I didn't think that she fit all of the criteria.

Although, I believe she was Beaver's principal.

#20 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:30 PM

1. right Princess! Gordon was Ricky's boss, Mr Littlefield; was principal Osgood Conklin on radio, tv and film version of Our Miss Brooks; ​and went back to Lucy as Mr. Mooney

3. Sid Melton is correct--he was Danny Thomas's agent; the deli owner Bert with a crush on Sally on ​The Dick Van Dyke Show; he was half of the Monroe Brothers construction company (Alf) on ​Green Acres

​4. MilesArcher nailed it--Porter was Ann Sothern's boss twice---first as NY agent Peter Sands, then as manager of the Bartley House hotel, James Devery; an English prof at UCLA who spent most of his time worrying about his daughter, Gidget. The original author of the book that triggered the film/series was Frederick Kohner, who was actually a professor at Pepperdine.

5. right..Nancy Kulp hunted birds and Bob Cummings; she was, of course, the efficient Jane Hathaway; she returned to sitcom land for five appearances as May Hopkins--mother of a policeman in the area and a former store detective on ​Sanford and Son.

​10. She's a great character, but not the one (I don't think Mrs. Billings (​Dick Van Dyke Show) was a principal..think she was president of the PTA...) but you're very close...
------------------
So...numbers 2, and 6 through 10 are still open!

(Note..number 2 has edit..just caught my mistake)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users