We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"Six by Sondheim" on HBO

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kami Koren

Kami Koren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:36 PM

YES!  This is a must watch.  Especially if you're a Sondheim fan.  Steven Sondheim's love for what he does is infectious and his eagerness to teach and give back is heartwarming. I thought that this piece was beautifully put together.  

#2 SilentVamp

SilentVamp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationBrew City

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

SilentVamp,

HBO is selling the dvd of "Six by Sondheim" on their website. $19.98. Pretty ok price for a wonderful film tribute. My partner is a huge fan of Sondheim and he got me to be a fan of this genius as well. :-)

I will definitely have to look into that now.  Thanks for letting me know!  :)

#3 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

You've probably answered your own question if you hate Sondheim that much, but it's a terrific example of documentary filmmaking. It's organized around six key songs which represent his evolution, but If you don't believe there was any evolution then, yes, stay away.

Thanks.  Yes, I'll stay away.  But I'm glad someone did it, and wish they were more of these type documentaries on songwriters.

#4 terrya

terrya

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

SilentVamp,

HBO is selling the dvd of "Six by Sondheim" on their website. $19.98. Pretty ok price for a wonderful film tribute. My partner is a huge fan of Sondheim and he got me to be a fan of this genius as well. :-)

#5 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

Why?  I only ask, because I hate Sondheim's shows (except the original production of FOLLIES), so is it a must watch if you are a Sondheim fan, or musicals in general?

You've probably answered your own question if you hate Sondheim that much, but it's a terrific example of documentary filmmaking. It's organized around six key songs which represent his evolution, but If you don't believe there was any evolution then, yes, stay away.

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#6 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

This is a must watch for anyone who is a fan of musicals.

Why?  I only ask, because I hate Sondheim's shows (except the original production of FOLLIES), so is it a must watch if you are a Sondheim fan, or musicals in general?

#7 SilentVamp

SilentVamp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationBrew City

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:45 PM

Does anyone know if this would ever possibly be released on DVD?  I don't have HBO.  So I never got to see it.

#8 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

Agreed. An amazing assemblage of interview clips from all stages of his career. The filmmakers did their homework.

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#9 joefilmone

joefilmone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

This is a must watch for anyone who is a fan of musicals.
  • Kami Koren likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users