We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Any Honeymooners Fans?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bOb39

bOb39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:14 PM

In the mid '80s, about 30 years after the famous 39 episodes, and after they'd been in steady syndication for 30 years, Gleason and Carney were on a talk show.  The 2 of them and the host were talking about the lasting fame that the Honeymooners have had.  Carney asked Gleason why he thinks the series was so popular for so long.  Gleason's reply?  "They were funny!".  

He nailed it.  A simple, 3-word answer spoke volumes about the Honeymooners.  "How sweet it is".

bOb

PS:  I can't remember the talk show they were on, but I think they may have been promoting a movie they made together.  "Izzy and Moe"

#2 bOb39

bOb39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:38 PM

The 39 episodes were all great and it's hard to pick a favorite.  I could maybe narrow it down to a dozen.  Several stand out in my mind, but one in particular is the one where they did a play and Ralph was sure that he would be singled out by the Hollywood talent scouts and be whisked off to tinseltown for a movie contract.  It turned out to be Alice that the talent scouts liked.  But the highlight for me, was when Ralph lost it with Norton over Norton's mispronunciation of polo ponies.  PolAHpunies!  Geez, but that cracks me up.

#3 bOb39

bOb39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:23 PM

one epi that sticks out in my memory is "the $99,000 answer" where ralph practices to appear on a name-that-tune type game show.

he has ed roll an upright piano into the apartment to try and stump him by playing song after song. ed has a little warm up intro he insists on playing before each new piece which of course vexes ralph to his blow-up "will you cut that out!!?" point.

when ralph goes on air at the game show, he is asked to "name the composer of this tune" ... and the music is of course ed's little warm up ditty. ralph sweats and rubs his face and finally offers a very uncertain "ed norton?"

even seeing the joke coming, gleason's delivery hits the mark perfectly.

And I believe that song was the ever popular, Way Down Upon The Swanee River.  The one song Ralph didn't know.  Absolutely hilarious!

#4 ERROL23

ERROL23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

Some Fat Jokes

Peanuts?What am I going to do with peanuts?

Ralph

Eat them like any other elephant.

Alice(Originally a line for Garrity the neighbor to yell down)

When you see me coming get on the other side of the street.

Ralph

When you come there is no other side of the street.

Norton

Trixie says your the biggest thing on TV

Alice

Im going to learn to swallow my pride.

Ralph

Youve swallowed everything else.

Norton

#5 MultiEye

MultiEye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

#6 MultiEye

MultiEye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

#7 MultiEye

MultiEye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:58 AM

#8 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

Adjunct Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationCarrollton Texas

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:38 AM

speak of the devil...the $99,000 Question is airing now!

#9 MultiEye

MultiEye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:15 PM

• johnm001 likes this

#10 crazyblonde7

crazyblonde7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

My favorite episodes are when Ralph and Norton do the Hucklebuck, the Mombo one and when Ralph witnesses a bank robbery. I Honeymooners and the Odd Couple are my favorite comedy shows!

#11 MultiEye

MultiEye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

#12 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

Adjunct Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationCarrollton Texas

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

one epi that sticks out in my memory is "the $99,000 answer" where ralph practices to appear on a name-that-tune type game show.

he has ed roll an upright piano into the apartment to try and stump him by playing song after song. ed has a little warm up intro he insists on playing before each new piece which of course vexes ralph to his blow-up "will you cut that out!!?" point.

when ralph goes on air at the game show, he is asked to "name the composer of this tune" ... and the music is of course ed's little warm up ditty. ralph sweats and rubs his face and finally offers a very uncertain "ed norton?"

even seeing the joke coming, gleason's delivery hits the mark perfectly.
  • bOb39 likes this

#13 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,098 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:27 PM

Yes, it's hard to beat The Honeymooners for pure comedy. Without

doing a review of The Classic 39, one of my favorites is the one

already mentioned, where Ralph and Ed go on TV to try to sell those

Swiss Army knife like kitchen tools, another one of Ralphie's get rich

quick schemes that ends in disaster, especially as Ralph gets a case

of extreme stage fright right before he is supposed to go on air. Hello,

o chef of the future. Can it core a apple? Yes, it can core a apple.

(no it can't).

One of my favorite lines is in the episode where Ralph and Alice and

Ed and Trixie visit the newlywed friend who has a wife who is dressed

in a tight outfit and who talks lovey dovey baby talk to her hubby. Alice

dresses up and imitates her to get back at Ralph, at one point saying

'I call you killer because you slayyy me.' I don't know if it's the line itself

or the way Audrey Meadows delivers it, or maybe both, but it cracks

me up every time. Great show.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#14 EugeniaH

EugeniaH

Advanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

I'm a huge Honeymooners fan.  I have the complete "Lost Episodes" DVD set but I still think 'The Classic 39' series is the best.

My favorite episode is "The Worry Wart", where Ralph worries when he's due to go down to the tax office regarding a question they have about his return (they don't specify what the problem is, and he's up half the night trying to figure it out).  Most laugh-out-loud lines in a single episode, imo.

Alice (to Ralph, trying to ease his mind): "You're not the first person ever to be investigated!"

Ed: "You're darn right!  The jails are full of 'em!"

"It's easy to quit, but it's better to fight." - B.F. Fulton

#15 Guest_johnm_001_*

Guest_johnm_001_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

Well, if I were to just take the classic 39 episodes and compare them against  a single season of any other sitcom in history, THE HONEYMOONERS would win, hands down.  I don't know if I can pick a favorite episode.

#16 oldfashionyoungman

oldfashionyoungman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:52 PM

yes, the Honeymooners, is always a "hoot" to watch.
I find it much more funny than the I Love Lucy series.
A true more reality based style of life of the common man and the daily dealings of life in urban big city.
No matter what the "daily dealing scenario", Ralph encountered , it always was comical that ended with a tenderness of love with humility.
This compassionate series will never be again.
Which is so sad, when a world so tainted and polluted with mental sickness with no moral compass, can stand to benefit morally to set this once mighty nation correct.

#17 ERROL23

ERROL23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:32 AM

Whats your favorite episode?Mine,A Better Life Through Television.Ralph and Norton go on TV to promote a can opener that was to take the place of all cooking instruments.Norton is the Chief Of The Past,Ralph is Chief of The Future.
Beware.This is a very funny episode.You might laugh so hard you will need medical attention.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users