We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TCM Sponsored Film Tour of Los Angeles

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

I was just looking out my work window here in downtown L.A. and saw the Star Line TCM Movie Locations Tour bus going by.  

What drew my attention to it at first is the raised section of the front of the coach...slanting downwards to the back...which allows room for the big screen inside the front part of the coach. 

Nice to see it taking people around again.

By the way...I discovered something interesting when I tried using the Search function of the message board.  It's forbidden to use the word "bus".

• SueSueApplegate and butterscotchgreer like this

#2 EliseCD

EliseCD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

I got to go on an advanced run of the tour and wrote up a review with some tips for those who are making it out the TCMFF.

http://elisesramblin...tour-in-la.html

Hope you find it helpful and see you there!

Elise

#3 RGlenn

RGlenn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:04 PM

Thanks so much for your reply!

It doesn't look like the link pulls up the tour now at all, but if it's booked up at the moment that could be the reason. Maybe I'll email TCM to see if there's a waiting list. Sounds exactly like a great intro to the Festival to move around LA and see some of these sites. I've been to most of the studio tours in the days before the festival each of the 3 past times I've attended and loved these, but they're light on classic film (and heavy often on TV series I've never even heard about).

At any rate, a big thanks for bringing this extra programming to the front. I'll keep my eyes open for anything else that may be planned.

Glenn

#4 lzcutter

lzcutter

Riding Point

• Moderators
  • 12,320 posts
  • LocationCity of the Angels- San Fernando Valley division

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

Glenn,

Be sure that if you pop-ups, they aren't getting in the way.

The link works fine for me on Chrome and Firefox.

The tours appear to be all sold out but word on the street is that TCM will have an announcement either just prior to the Festival or at the FF regarding passes for the Tour.

So, don't give up hope yet!

But, do see if those pesky pop-ups are getting in your way. A couple of people had that problem and once they figured that out, were able to get to the page.

See you in a little more than a month!
"Movies touch our hearts and awaken our vision, and change the way we see things. They take us to other places, they open doors and minds. Movies are the memories of our life times, we need to keep them alive,"- Marty Scorsese

#5 RGlenn

RGlenn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

Hi Liz (hope I'm using your correct name)... do you know how to get tickets for this. The link provided doesn't do anything and I tried to submit an email question to the TCM form, but this requests info not familiar to me (i.e. "Customer CC List :"... huh?). Sounds like this would be a great tour.

Thanks! Glenn

#6 lzcutter

lzcutter

Riding Point

• Moderators
  • 12,320 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

>Downtown is also home to some of the great old movie theaters of Los Angeles. Most are now closed, but one or two may be open to see inside (we're talking gorgeous, folks, back when the theaters were magnificent pieces of architecture!).

Peter,

On a side note, the Last Remaining Seats schedule has been released (though tix to the public don't go on sale until April 9th.

The Los Angeles Theater, the Orpheum and the UA theater that is now part of the Ace Hotel are all participating!
"Movies touch our hearts and awaken our vision, and change the way we see things. They take us to other places, they open doors and minds. Movies are the memories of our life times, we need to keep them alive,"- Marty Scorsese

#7 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:07 PM

I work in downtown L.A. and I do recommend all of you to get on the tour to see the interior of the Bradbury Building. It's incredible. Very film noirish. Used lots of times in films (most famously, in Blade Runner).

Also, if they let you, go across the street from the Bradbury into the Grand Central Market. Many of the vendors operate under neon signs that look like they date back to the 1930s.

And if you continue through the market to the other side, you will see the very famous Angels Flight trains. This is a short train ride that goes up the hill to Grand.

Two blocks from the Bradbury Building is our City Hall. Those of us who are old enough, automatically think of Dragnet when we see it...and it was also the Daily Planet building in the 1950s TV series.

Downtown is also home to some of the great old movie theaters of Los Angeles. Most are now closed, but one or two may be open to see inside (we're talking gorgeous, folks, back when the theaters were magnificent pieces of architecture!).

#8 lzcutter

lzcutter

Riding Point

• Moderators
  • 12,320 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

The TCM Film Tour of the City of the Angels has been announced and free passes are going fast!

http://www.tcm.com/20/

A three hour tour that includes stops at Union Station and the Bradbury Building!

Check it out and get your passes soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users