We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Can we have oldest posts first?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,266 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:33 PM

So you're telling me that in order to read a thread, I have to go to the last page, scroll to the bottom, and then work my way backwards from bottom to top? Are you kidding me?!

I'm a brand new member and was really excited about these boards (especially since IMDb boards will be deleted soon - TCM looked very promising as a long-term solution), but I don't think I can get used to this.

22 years on the internet and I've never seen a website with newest-to-oldest threads with no option to switch it.

This site is designed for frequent users.   E.g. if one comes here 2 - 4 times per day,  one wouldn't want to be taken to all of the old threads,  each and every time  (some threads have thousands of post).

Since I'm a frequent users I use the 'view new content' feature which only shows me post I have NOT yet read and the button that takes me to the oldest unread post.   

BUT,  there should be an option that allows users to always go to the oldest posts,  read or not,  each time they enter.

#2 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

The irony? Richard Kimble is innocent.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:22 PM

How do you know this? Did you take a poll?

This is the only board I've ever frequented where newest-post-first is not only the default option, but the only option.

IMDb, Free Republic, Democratic Underground, FlyerTalk (1.3 million threads), Digital Spy (1.7 million threads), City Data (1.7 million threads), Bodybuilding.com (5.7 million threads) are all oldest-post first.

It's been almost three years and I still officially hate it

• TikiSoo likes this

Life is never interesting enough somehow... You people who come to the movies know that.

gq1BVs3.jpg

#3 ShanghaiLil

ShanghaiLil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:50 PM

So you're telling me that in order to read a thread, I have to go to the last page, scroll to the bottom, and then work my way backwards from bottom to top? Are you kidding me?!

I'm a brand new member and was really excited about these boards (especially since IMDb boards will be deleted soon - TCM looked very promising as a long-term solution), but I don't think I can get used to this.

22 years on the internet and I've never seen a website with newest-to-oldest threads with no option to switch it.

#4 Darb

Darb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 11:48 AM

This is the only message board I read that lists the posts the way they do.  Makes no sense to me, but I guess I'm just used to posts being listed in chronological order.  There definitely should be an option in your settings to pick which way to display content...

• ShanghaiLil and Acd like this

#5 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:38 PM

I'm actually ok with it either way, but why are the posts numbered so that the newest post is #1 instead of the oldest? That makes no sense at all.

Base software package not complete enough to invoke reverse-thread option, but doing it anyway.

#6 jkl2000

jkl2000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:45 PM

I'm actually ok with it either way, but why are the posts numbered so that the newest post is #1 instead of the oldest? That makes no sense at all.

#7 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:53 PM

Several other boards I frequent were like this board when I joined - Newest First. Several of us requested an option be added to invert the listings and a short time later a new menu appeared offering oldest or newest first. This appeared to be an easily added feature. 

One board is unique in that before you sign-in the posts are listed oldest first. When you sign-in they invert to newest first. They're also one of the boards that added the option, if you should decide to switch after sign-in.

I'm used to this board's newest first. 

FdX2C0H.gif

#8 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:26 AM

A now banned poster said:

Either the powers that be do not understand the request put forth here, or they don't understand how forums like this are supposed to work, and/or they don't visit other forums.  

The statement above (now below) about "the majority of boards" is clearly false to anyone familiar with this.

Agreed. 

Just like the spam issue, creating a "setting" to view last post first is fairly simple.

It makes it VERY EASY for the user to read all the postings if they choose, or to just click on the "last page" if they've already read the previous, older posts.

All other message boards are set up this way so the user isn't making a comment that had already been made 3 pages ago.

But this message board designer can't even figure out how to thwart spam! Oy! I'm back in the 90's!

• ShanghaiLil likes this

#9 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,266 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:45 PM

How about a simple button (that applies to the entire thread) that allows the viewer (at their discretion) to choose to read the posts in either "ascending" or "descending" chronological order?

Some websites have implemented this option which appears to make this issue become a non-concern.

I agree.  Such an option could be part of 'settings' so one only needs to set up how they want it once.

I actually like the way it works now (using the 'view new content' feature),  but most appear to want it to work the opposite way so they should have that choice.

• TikiSoo, Stephan55, flask and 1 other like this

#10 Stephan55

Stephan55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:57 AM

Hello - I wanted to get back to you on this.  Unfortunately, the majority of boards and posters prefer the most recent post listed first in discussions.  We'll look at a possible option to add a link to the original post to help, but for now, we'll need to stick to this convention.  Thanks for the inquiry though. 

How about a simple button (that applies to the entire thread) that allows the viewer (at their discretion) to choose to read the posts in either "ascending" or "descending" chronological order?

Some websites have implemented this option which appears to make this issue become a non-concern.

• ShanghaiLil likes this

"We all go a little mad sometimes. Haven't you?"  "...They're probably watching me..."

I have been told that I have a tendency toward verbosity.

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,102 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:04 AM

Plus the layout of the boards are very busy but that's another topic.

I don't understand what is meant by your statement. Are you saying the design of the boards looks too cluttered? Or that the boards are busy due to frequent activity of the individual posters..?

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#12 sjack827

sjack827

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:24 AM

I'll be frank.  I haven't posted to these forums in over a year and at best I've been a spotty vistor.  Years ago I had this same issue with the boards and I contacted technical support who told me they understood the isse.  A bit later an option was added to allow members the option of viewing the board in the "tradtional" order i.e. oldest to newest.  I log in now after everything has been "updated" and reset or whatever and this option is gone.  I don't get it.  Plus the layout of the boards are very busy but that's another topic.

I'm kind of disappointed and suprised quite frankly, who runs this place anyway?

• ShanghaiLil likes this

#13 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,266 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:47 PM

I am a new member of this forum, and frankly, it is very very weird to have the post order backwards, with the newest post listed as #1 on the first page, and the original post as the last one on the last page, with the reader required to go to the last page in the thread and scroll backwards to follow the discussion.  I was very confused when I came to this forum today, took a little bit to figure out how the setup went, especially since the posts are numbered backwards as well, with the newest post numbered #1.

That's just deeply odd.  Pretty much every other message board or comment thread I have ever read starts with the oldest post first, and has the reader scroll down to go to the next post.  In English, and if I'm not mistaken just about every other Indo-European language, you start reading at the top of a page and then go to the bottom.  But on this forum you have to go backwards, from the bottom of the page to the top, and you have to change direction constantly, going from top to bottom to read each individual post and then having to scroll the other direction, up, to go to the next post.

Standard forum setup usually has an arrow or some kind of marker that takes you to the oldest unread post.  And then you scroll down, as people have been doing since putting quill to papyrus thousands of years ago.

I thought that there must be some sort of setting for me to change to put the posts in the correct order, and was mystified when I couldn't find any.  Weird.

Yes, odd, noted,  told to the moderators and others that run this site.    Not going to change.

Use the '*' feature next to a thread and it will take you to the last (oldest) unread post.   

#14 Vidor

Vidor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:22 PM

I am a new member of this forum, and frankly, it is very very weird to have the post order backwards, with the newest post listed as #1 on the first page, and the original post as the last one on the last page, with the reader required to go to the last page in the thread and scroll backwards to follow the discussion.  I was very confused when I came to this forum today, took a little bit to figure out how the setup went, especially since the posts are numbered backwards as well, with the newest post numbered #1.

That's just deeply odd.  Pretty much every other message board or comment thread I have ever read starts with the oldest post first, and has the reader scroll down to go to the next post.  In English, and if I'm not mistaken just about every other Indo-European language, you start reading at the top of a page and then go to the bottom.  But on this forum you have to go backwards, from the bottom of the page to the top, and you have to change direction constantly, going from top to bottom to read each individual post and then having to scroll the other direction, up, to go to the next post.

Standard forum setup usually has an arrow or some kind of marker that takes you to the oldest unread post.  And then you scroll down, as people have been doing since putting quill to papyrus thousands of years ago.

I thought that there must be some sort of setting for me to change to put the posts in the correct order, and was mystified when I couldn't find any.  Weird.

• Psd, SMeyr and ShanghaiLil like this

#15 Film Fan 50s 60s 70s

Film Fan 50s 60s 70s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:57 PM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the forum does indeed have such a system. If you want to go straight to the last unread post, all you have to do is click on the circle (or star if you've posted in the topic) to the left of the topic's title.

Yes, it takes you to the newest post you haven't read. Indeed it does. But, that's where the 'fun' begins, because IN ALL OTHER MESSAGE BOARDS I FREQUENT, you would then scroll DOWN, to read all of the posts you haven't yet read. And if there were more unread posts, you would go to the next 'page' of messages, in sequential order (From Page 3 to Page 4, etc.).

But here, you would start at the last unread message, and scroll UP. And then, if there was another page of unread messages, that would take you to "Page 1". where I assume you would be required to scroll to the bottom of the 'page', to continue reading the messages in sequential order. The latest post should logically be the highest post #. And, the first post of a thread, should logically be the #1 post. What a "backward" system indeed!!! 

• Psd and ShanghaiLil like this

Tombstone_Userbar.gif

Theater experiences that made the biggest impression: ~ Dirty Harry ~ Planet of the Apes (1968) ~ The Thing (1982)

Favorite Movies: The Godfather Saga ~ Leon: The Professional ~ The Pelican Brief ~ A Few Good Men ~ Tombstone

#16 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,266 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:26 PM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the forum does indeed have such a system. If you want to go straight to the last unread post, all you have to do is click on the circle (or star if you've posted in the topic) to the left of the topic's title.

THANKS:   I have been using the redesigned forum since it started and didn't know about that.   I always use the 'view new content' feature but then I just click on the tread instead of the star.   

#17 TomWood

TomWood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:33 AM

I understand what you're saying and it is very logical. This is why I feel the system should take one to the last unread post, per thread. Using your two examples, if one is engaged in an active 'chat' with someone, the last unread post would be the latest (or one of the latest).

But if one goes to a thread they have never been to before it would take them to he oldest (first) post.

Note that the system does have a database that keeps a user profile history (since there is the 'view new thread' feature), so the above change wouldn't be that difficult to program.

This change is something I have been pushing for since the re-launching of this forum last year.

• ShanghaiLil likes this

#18 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,266 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 June 2015 - 04:03 PM

When I go to any of the many forums that I visit, I always want to see the latest post ---- from the point where I last posted, or last read up to.

If I am going to a new thread, then, since I haven't read any of the posts, then the logical place to begin would be at the oldest post.

But, by default, as it is with this board, to start reading backwards from the newest post to the oldest post is not rational.

One post leads to another, so why you like to swin 'upstream' is only known to you.

Most members here are not 'salmon'. Most members here prefer to swim with the current, wherever they happen to jump in.

I understand what you're saying and it is very logical.    This is why I feel the system should take one to the last unread post, per thread.   Using your two examples,  if one is engaged in an active 'chat' with someone,  the last unread post would be the latest (or one of the latest).

But if one goes to a thread they have never been to before it would take them to he oldest (first) post.  

Note that the system does have a database that keeps a user profile history (since there is the 'view new thread' feature),  so the above change wouldn't be that difficult to program.

This change is something I have been pushing for since the re-launching  of this forum last year.

#19 Film Fan 50s 60s 70s

Film Fan 50s 60s 70s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 June 2015 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for the tip,  but I always use the 'View New Content' feature.   But I wish that once I clicked on a tread with 'unread' posts, this feature would than take me to the last unread post per thread instead of just to the newest (latest) post per thread.  

Yes, I know I'm in the minority,  and I even made a joke that I must like things backwards.   

I admit I still don't understand why anyone would wish to initially go to, say, post #200, created years ago, instead of going to post #1 created 5 minutes ago,  and from there scrolling down (or up) to the next latest post.

But note that the moderator is the one that said they are NOT going to change.  This isn't because they agree with me.   I only wish I had that much power over the moderators that run this site!

When I go to any of the many forums that I visit, I always want to see the latest post ---- from the point where I last posted, or last read up to.

If I am going to a new thread, then, since I haven't read any of the posts, then the logical place to begin would be at the oldest post.

But, by default, as it is with this board, to start reading backwards from the newest post to the oldest post is not rational.

One post leads to another, so why you like to swin 'upstream' is only known to you.

Most members here are not 'salmon'. Most members here prefer to swim with the current, wherever they happen to jump in.

• ShanghaiLil likes this

Tombstone_Userbar.gif

Theater experiences that made the biggest impression: ~ Dirty Harry ~ Planet of the Apes (1968) ~ The Thing (1982)

Favorite Movies: The Godfather Saga ~ Leon: The Professional ~ The Pelican Brief ~ A Few Good Men ~ Tombstone

#20 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,266 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 June 2015 - 02:41 PM

There is a button at the top of every page called "View New Content" that does just that. Use that button to do just what you want it to do and let the forums sort chronologically so that everyone else can be happy. You are clearly in the minority on this topic but you make your point after every post to the contrary. We get it. You like things backwards but fail to recognize that the world sees it the other way.

Thanks for the tip,  but I always use the 'View New Content' feature.   But I wish that once I clicked on a tread with 'unread' posts, this feature would than take me to the last unread post per thread instead of just to the newest (latest) post per thread.  

Yes, I know I'm in the minority,  and I even made a joke that I must like things backwards.   

I admit I still don't understand why anyone would wish to initially go to, say, post #200, created years ago, instead of going to post #1 created 5 minutes ago,  and from there scrolling down (or up) to the next latest post.

But note that the moderator is the one that said they are NOT going to change.  This isn't because they agree with me.   I only wish I had that much power over the moderators that run this site!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users