We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Can we have oldest posts first?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Vertigo2

Vertigo2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

I find it hard to believe that most prefer the newest post be the first one viewed. I also do the Broadway Message Board and there the oldest is the first one listed,and one scrolls DOWN to go in chronological order,as people READ THAT WAY! If one one wants to go to the latest post it's easy to go to that page.
It is so annoying on TCM trying to go to the oldest and then scrolling up. I was positive that this would be addressed with the new board fix up - boy was I disappointed!
Please consider making this an option.
  • Psd, Film Fan 50s 60s 70s, jaydro and 1 other like this

#42 ValentineXavier

ValentineXavier

I got myself into a situation here that I can't get out of.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:39 AM

I, too would like to have the original post as post #1, on page #1. That way, when you go to first unread post, you start with the top of that post, and scroll down. If you want to refer back to an old post, its number never changes, so you can find it. All of the other forums I go to do it that way. One, the Audio Video Science Forum is a very big board, bigger than this one, by far. 

• Darb, Film Fan 50s 60s 70s, jaydro and 1 other like this

"Those who would give up essential liberty
to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty, nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971 

#43 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:07 AM

Thank you, TikiSoo. I thought I had it there.

This is certainly an odd way of offering that feature. Most other sites I visit have a button for this right on the front page with Main Topics/Forums.

• ShanghaiLil likes this

FdX2C0H.gif

#44 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:12 AM

Thanks KidDabb, but those settings are only to view your OWN posts, not the entire thread. The moderator stated elsewhere there currently is no way to set your preferences to view "oldest (original) post first".
So for now, we'll just have to wait until they resolve it, if ever.

(but I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes to read in chronological order-on a long thread I just choose to view the last page)
  • Film Fan 50s 60s 70s, Montecristo, jaydro and 1 other like this

#45 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:51 AM

To view posts in Ascending or Descending order...

1. Sign in

2. Click your name at the top of the screen

3. Select My Content

4. Select Only posts from the left side screen

5. Select Ascending or Descending from above thread column

Enjoy!

FdX2C0H.gif

#46 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

The irony? Richard Kimble is innocent.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

the majority of boards and posters prefer the most recent post listed first in discussions.

How do you know this? Did you take a poll?

This is the only board I've ever frequented where newest-post-first is not only the default option, but the only option.

IMDb, Free Republic, Democratic Underground, FlyerTalk (1.3 million threads), Digital Spy (1.7 million threads), City Data (1.7 million threads), Bodybuilding.com (5.7 million threads) are all oldest-post first.

• dc1, Psd, Film Fan 50s 60s 70s and 2 others like this

Life is never interesting enough somehow... You people who come to the movies know that.

gq1BVs3.jpg

#47 TCMModerator3

TCMModerator3

• Administrators
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

Hello - I wanted to get back to you on this.  Unfortunately, the majority of boards and posters prefer the most recent post listed first in discussions.  We'll look at a possible option to add a link to the original post to help, but for now, we'll need to stick to this convention.  Thanks for the inquiry though. 

#48 Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble

The irony? Richard Kimble is innocent.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:34 PM

PiNvw.jpg

• jaydro and ShanghaiLil like this

Life is never interesting enough somehow... You people who come to the movies know that.

gq1BVs3.jpg

#49 Fedya

Fedya

Crotchety blankety-blank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

Within individual threads, is there any way to have the oldest posts appear at the top? I'm not talking about the first page for each of the forums like "General Discussions" where there are "filters", but the pages for each of the individual threads within General Discussions or the other forums.

In English, it's natural to read left-to-right and top-to-bottom, so why have threads where the first post is on the bottom, and then you have to scroll up to find a response, and so on and so on?
  • johnm001, Psd, LatriceRoyale and 4 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users