We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Favorite Line from Movie

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#1 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:41 AM

all-about-eve-screen1.jpg

All About Eve (1950)

Margo Channing:  Bill's thirty-two. He looks thirty-two. He looked it five years ago, he'll look it twenty years from now. I hate men.

All characters and events portrayed in this motion picture are fictitious .  Any similarity to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.  

#2 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

hqdefault.jpg

All About Eve (1950)

Margo Channing:  Funny business, a woman's career - the things you drop on your way up the ladder so you can move faster. You forget you'll need them again when you get back to being a woman. That's one career all females have in common, whether we like it or not: being a woman. Sooner or later, we've got to work at it, no matter how many other careers we've had or wanted. And in the last analysis, nothing's any good unless you can look up just before dinner or turn around in bed, and there he is. Without that, you're not a woman. You're something with a French provincial office or a book full of clippings, but you're not a woman. Slow curtain, the end.

All characters and events portrayed in this motion picture are fictitious .  Any similarity to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.  

#3 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:49 PM

9fa46a299193188.jpg

Susan:  Phoebe, if a herring and a half costs three hey-pence, how many for eleven pence?

Phoebe:  Eleven.

Susan:  William Smith says it's fifteen and he's such a big boy.  Do you think I ought to contradict him?  May I suggest that there are differences of opinion about it?  One can't be really sure, Phoebe.

Phoebe:  It is eleven. I once worked it out with real herrings.  

Quality Street (1937)

• CCerini likes this

#4 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:34 PM

Vizzini (Wallace Shawn)-He didn't fall? Inconceivable!

Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin)-You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Lines from The Princess Bride (1987)
  • LawrenceA likes this

#5 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

hqdefault.jpg

Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

• CCerini likes this

#6 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:56 AM

gentleman-s-agreement-gregory-peck-anne-

Mrs. Green:  You know something, Phil? I suddenly want to live to be very old. Very. I want to be around to see what happens. The world is stirring in very strange ways. Maybe this is the century for it. Maybe that's why it's so troubled. Other centuries had their driving forces. What will ours have been when men look back? Maybe it won't be the American century after all... or the Russian century or the atomic century. Wouldn't it be wonderful... if it turned out to be everybody's century... when people all over the world - free people - found a way to live together? I'd like to be around to see some of that... even the beginning. I may stick around for quite a while.

• CCerini likes this

#7 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:44 AM

tumblr_m9a4y9gcET1qdomqvo1_500.jpg

Phil Green: They are more than nasty little snobs, Kathy. You call them that, and you can dismiss them; it's too easy. They're persistent little traitors to everything that this country stands for, and stands on and you have to fight 'em! Not just for the 'poor, poor Jews,' as Dave says, but for everything this country stands for.

Kathy: You think I'm an anti-Semite.

Phil Green:  No, I don't. But I've come to see lots of nice people who hate it and deplore it and protest their own innocence, then help it along and wonder why it grows. People who would never beat up a Jew. People who think anti-Semitism is far away in some dark place with low-class morons. That's the biggest discovery I've made. The good people. The nice people.

• CCerini likes this

#8 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:46 PM

019-peter-ibbetson-theredlist.jpeg?w=394

Mary:  You needn't be afraid, Peter.  The strangest things are true and the truest things are strange. 

Peter Ibbetson

#9 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 08 June 2016 - 06:03 PM

smith_dark_300.jpg

Clarissa Saunders: Your friend, Mr. Lincoln had his Taylors and Paines. So did every other man who ever tried to lift his thought up off the ground. Odds against them didn't stop those men. They were fools that way. All the good that ever came into this world came from fools with faith like that. You know that, Jeff. You can't quit now. Not you. They aren't all Taylors and Paines in Washington. That kind just throw big shadows, that's all. You didn't just have faith in Paine or any other living man. You had faith in something bigger than that. You had plain, decent, everyday, common rightness, and this country could use some of that. Yeah, so could the whole cockeyed world, a lot of it. Remember the first day you got here? Remember what you said about Mr. Lincoln? You said he was sitting up there, waiting for someone to come along. You were right. He was waiting for a man who could see his job and sail into it, that's what he was waiting for. A man who could tear into the Taylors and root them out into the open. I think he was waiting for you, Jeff. He knows you can do it, so do I.

• CCerini likes this

#10 CCerini

CCerini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationPearl River, NY

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:36 PM

Bio-47’s thread

Lest we forget the debt we owe to those young kids, who, 72 years ago, gave up their lives so that we could enjoy the freedom we have today.

General Dwight D. Eisenhower's D-Day Speech (featured in "The Longest Day"):

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory!

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

Gus Cerini

• Casablanca100views likes this

#11 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:40 PM

all-that-heaven-window.jpg

I didn't mean to write such a long piece, but it's a great scene.

Cary Scott:  .. if people get used to seeing us together, maybe they'll accept us. 

Ron Kirby:   You mean, we'll be invited to all the cocktail parties.  Then, of course, Sarah will see to it that I get into the Country Club. and dear Howard and I will shake hands and forget.  And you'll flatter Mona so she won't be malicious,  

Cary Scott:  That's not what I mean! 

Ron Kirby:  .. and then Kay won't mind so much because we will be living just as you always have, probably in your house.  

Cary Scott: What's wrong with that? Suppose we did live in my house?  It's only for a little while. And it would make things so much easier.  It wouldn't change you, Ron, because you couldn't be changed.

Ron Kirby:  Yes, I could.  I am learning right now how easy it would to let myself be changed. 

Cary Scott:  By whom?

Ron Kirby:  By you. I'm sorry, Cary, it wouldn't work.  I can't live that way, you knew that from the beginning. 

Cary Scott:  But I can't ruin my children's lives.  I have a responsibility to them.  

Ron Kirby:  Are you sure it's just that?

Cary Scott:  What do you mean?  You don't think I care about the house and what people say? 

Ron Kirby:  Yes, I do. 

Cary Scott:  You're not even trying to understand.  How can you say you love me and---

Ron Kirby:   God knows I love you!  But I won't let Ned, nor Kay, nor anyone else run our lives.  Cary, don't you see we would never be happy if we did? 

Cary Scott:  I can see you don't want to listen to anybody's ideas but your own!  And I can see you are trying to make me choose between you and the children!  

Ron Kirby:  No, Cary. You're the one who made it a question of choosing.  So you're the one who will have to choose. 

Cary Scott:  Alright, it's all over.  (She leaves)

Ron Kirby:  (after the door closes behind her) Cary! 

ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS (1955)

Jane Wyman, Rock Hudson

directed by Douglas Sirk

#12 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:58 PM

Connell:  Yup, I'm a sucker for the Star-Spangled Banner, and I am a sucker for this country.  I like what we've got here.  I like it.  A guy can say what he wants and do what he wants without having a bayonet shoved through his belly, and that's all right, isn't it?  

John:  You betcha

Connell:  Yeah, we don't want anybody coming around changing that, do we?

John:  No sir..

Connell:  No sir.  And when they do, I get mad.  I get boiling mad.  Right now, John, I'm sizzling!  I get mad for a lot of other guys besides myself.  I get mad for a guy named Washington,  and a guy named Jefferson, and Lincoln.   Lighthouses, John, lighthouses in a foggy world.  You know what I mean?  

John:  Yeah, you bet.

Connell:  Um-hum.  Listen pal.  this fifth column stuff is pretty rotten, isn't it?  

John:  Yeah, it certainly is..

Connell:  And you'd feel like an awful sucker if you found yourself marching right in the middle of it, wouldn't you?  Yeah, you, of course, you wouldn't know it. cause you're gentle. But that's what you're doing.  You're mixed up with a skunk, my boy.  A no-good dangerous skunk.

John:  Hey, you're not talking about Mr. Norton, are ya?

Connell:  I'm not talking about his grandfather's pet  poodle!

John:  You must be wrong Mr. Connell, He's been marvelous about the John Doe clubs. 

Connell:  Yeah, say, you're sold on this John Doe idea, aren't you?
Yessir, I don't blame ya, so am I.  It's a beautiful miracle, a miracle that can only happen right here in the good old USA.  and I think it's terrific.  Whadya think about that?   Me, hard-boiled Connell..  I think it's plenty terrific!  Alright, now supposing a certain unmentionable worm whose initials are D B was trying to use that to shove his way into the White House?  So he could put the screws on,  so he could turn out the lights in those lighthouses.

James Gleason, Gary Cooper,  
MEET JOHN DOE (1940)

• CCerini likes this

#13 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 11:29 PM

Since we're up to 1939 in the Favorite Performances thread, here a couple from GONE WITH THE WIND which some of my friends used to love:

Aunt Pittypat: "Yankees in Georgia! How did they evah get in?"

Mrs. Meade (very excitedly, on learning that her husband has visited Belle Watling's house of ill repute): "Were you really there? Does she have cut glass chandeliers and plush curtains and dozens of gilt mirrors? And are there girls?"

Dr. Meade: "Good heavens, Mrs. Meade! Remember yourself!"

• GregoryPeckfan likes this

#14 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationWalt Disney World

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:18 PM

Girl 1: Did you know Charlie Sorrel had a wife?

Girl 2: One of his own?

Goodbye, Charlie (1964)

"There are only two things I dislike about you... Your face."

-Elizabeth Taylor in The Mirror Crack'd

"The prettier the flower, the farther from the path." -Into the Woods 

#15 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:11 PM

From "Merrily We Live". "These are my dogs, this is 'Get Off The Rug', this is 'You Too' "

This is one of my favorite comedy lines. :)

• dlk44 likes this

#16 dlk44

dlk44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:16 PM

From "Merrily We Live". "These are my dogs, this is 'Get Off The Rug', this is 'You Too' "
  • NickAndNora34 likes this

#17 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:40 AM

Bruce: He's got a lot of charm.

Hildy: He comes by it naturally. His grandfather was a snake.

(His Girl Friday; 1940)

Girl: What are you dressed as?

Wednesday: I'm a homicidal maniac. They look just like everyone else.

(Addams Family; 1991)

Velma: I know you. All you care about are swimsuit models.

Fred: Look, I'm a man of substance. Dorky chicks like you turn me on, too.

(Scooby Doo; 2002)

• kingrat, Casablanca100views and dlk44 like this

#18 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 27 March 2016 - 06:35 PM

Forever-Amber-Sanders.png

Amber:  Of course I do, Charles, and I love you....

King Charles:  But you don't and you never have. 

I don't blame you for loving him, but I cannot forgive you for it.

If I hadn't been king, I might have managed some time in my life to fall in love myself.  But instead I've had to create an illusion of happiness.  I've had to pretend to love-- pretend to be loved, At best, it was a fragile device, too easily shattered, as you've shattered it tonight. 

Linda Darnell and George Sanders in Forever Amber (1947)

• CCerini and MultiEye like this

#19 Paulll

Paulll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:06 PM

• MultiEye likes this

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

[Ralph Waldo Emerson]

#20 DJBeacon

DJBeacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach, SC

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:15 AM

I always laugh out loud when Jack Warden comments about James Mason to Paul Newman in "The Verdict":

Mickey Morrissey: He's a good man? Heh, heh, he's the Prince of #&@$ Darkness! He'll have people testifying they saw her waterskiing in Marblehead last summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users