We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Favorite Line from Movie

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#21 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationCanada - where we have free press

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:16 AM

Some of my favourite lines from THE GUNS OR NAVARONE:

"Somebody's *got* to take responsibility if the job's going to get done, do you think that's easy?"

- Captain Mallory in THE GUNS OF NAVARONE to Corporal Miller

"I've inspected this vessel, and I think you ought to know that, ah, I can't swim.'

"I'll keep it in mind".

- Miller to Mallory who then answers.

Peter Fonda and Gregory Peck are my heroes.

#22 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,942 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:01 AM

Cold are the hands of time that creep along relentlessly, destroying slowly but without pity that which yesterday was young. Alone our memories resist this disintegration and grow more lovely with the passing years. Heh! That's hard to say with false teeth!

Robert Dudley as the Weinie King in THE PALM BEACH STORY

• Casablanca100views and GregoryPeckfan like this

#23 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,605 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:53 AM

When the weak are also cruel, we should beware of them, my friend. The weak know how to use their power. They have soft, white hands with which to squeeze and squeeze.

Charles Boyer, in All This, and Heaven Too (1940)

• Casablanca100views and GregoryPeckfan like this

#24 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:02 PM

If love is right, it is the most precious gift in the world. But you must be sure, very sure, that it is right. For if it isn't, there is no worse agony, nothing more bitter, nothing more lonely to be imagined.

- All This and Heaven Too (1940)

All characters and events portrayed in this motion picture are fictitious .  Any similarity to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.  

#25 MultiEye

MultiEye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:01 PM

#26 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:50 PM

yvonne.jpg

Yvonne, I love you... but he pays me.

Casablanca (1942)

• CCerini, MultiEye and GregoryPeckfan like this

All characters and events portrayed in this motion picture are fictitious .  Any similarity to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.  

#27 faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • LocationAlphaville

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:46 AM

"I didn't make the world. I barely live in it."

Oscar Levant as his alter ego, Sid Jeffers, in HUMORESQUE.

#28 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:33 AM

Pics that bring to mind movie quotes..

biggest-animals.jpg

He likes you even better than his horse! And it's such a blasted big horse, too!

--Paulette Goddard, The Women (1939)

#29 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:06 PM

(Little Shirley Temple grows up into supporting roles)

Barbara Marshall: [in tears] Mary, I... Mary, I... I'm so ashamed. Please forgive me. I love you, Mary, and I wouldn't want to hurt you, not for anything. I understand something... I understand something now that I never knew before, that you can make a mistake, do something dreadful, without meaning to... Oh, Mary!

I'll Be Seeing You (1944)

Bridget 'Brig' Hilton: [in tears] . . I pray the Lord my soul to take. And God bless Pop, and mother, and Jane. and Fidelia, and Uncle Tony, and Soda. And please God, make Pop safe. Oh, i know he is safe -- you wouldn't let anything happen to him. But Please, make him safe anyway. Amen. 

Since You Went Away (1944)

• CCerini likes this

#30 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 26 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

It's not how you look but how you act that counts in this world.

Palm Beach Story (1942)

#31 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:28 PM

Deborah Bishop: Why is it that sooner or later no matter what we talk about we wind up talking about Addie Ross?

Addie Ross: [off voice] Maybe it's because if you girls didn't talk about me you wouldn't talk at all.

A Letter to Three Wives (1949)

• NickAndNora34 likes this

#32 NickAndNora34

NickAndNora34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationWalt Disney World

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:17 AM

Eliza Doolittle: Didn't ah sy that?

Professor Henry Higgins: No, Eliza, you didn't "sy" that, you didn't even "say" that. Now every night before you get into bed, where you used to say your prayers, I want you to say "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain" fifty times. You'll get much further with the Lord if you learn not to offend His ears.

-My Fair Lady (1964)

There are so many great quotes in this film, but this is definitely one that sticks out to me. Also, this one from Bette Davis' film Now Voyager:

Don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars. (Now Voyager; 1942)

• Casablanca100views likes this

"The prettier the flower, the farther from the path." -Into the Woods 

#33 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:23 PM

Sorry, gang; I fell asleep before posting on Dec 2nd. But I will tell you how Casablanca ends.

Rick:  Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. 

I always watch the whole thing.  Love it.

• CCerini likes this

#34 faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • LocationAlphaville

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:05 PM

"If I'm going to be alone, I'd rather be by myself."

Marilyn Monroe to soon-to-be-ex Kevin McCarthy in THE MISFITS.

#35 CCerini

CCerini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • LocationPearl River, NY

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:38 PM

Dear Casablanca100views: Don’t have any Veuve Clicquot around, but will join you with a champagne cocktail on Wednesday. Hope others will join in too.

--Gus Cerini

#36 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:08 PM

Bio 47’s thread

First Woman     Will you ask Rick if he'll have a drink with us?

Carl                    Madame, he never drinks with customers. Never. I have never seen him.

--Hollywood’s Masterpiece

I want to remind everyone that December 2 is the 70th anniversary of the story's beginning as first noted by Casablancalover in her post on Veterans' Day, 2007 (page 20 of the old Casablanca thread) because Rick can be seen endorsing a check dated “2 Decembre 41”. This is five days before Pearl Harbor and America’s entry into the war.

I try to watch it on that date every year and in the past often asked TCM to show it on that date. But I have no beef. They show it often during the year.

--Gus Cerini

Oh dear, Gus.  I was just mentioning the death of old threads (let them lie) on General topics but I am glad you brought up December 2nd.  It's this Wednesday and I will be watching Casablanca (with a Kir Royale or Chambord+Champagne created cocktail of my own) in celebration and reverence of the love story wrapped in the ugliness of war, set in a city filled with refugees, desperate and still trying to retain their dignity. 

See you here Wednesday.

• CCerini likes this

#37 CCerini

CCerini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:43 PM

Bio 47’s thread

First Woman     Will you ask Rick if he'll have a drink with us?

Carl                    Madame, he never drinks with customers. Never. I have never seen him.

--Hollywood’s Masterpiece

I want to remind everyone that December 2 is the 70th anniversary of the story's beginning as first noted by Casablancalover in her post on Veterans' Day, 2007 (page 20 of the old Casablanca thread) because Rick can be seen endorsing a check dated “2 Decembre 41”. This is five days before Pearl Harbor and America’s entry into the war.

I try to watch it on that date every year and in the past often asked TCM to show it on that date. But I have no beef. They show it often during the year.

--Gus Cerini

#38 faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • LocationAlphaville

Posted 27 November 2015 - 01:43 PM

"Tell me, Mrs. Wright, does your husband interfere with your marriage?"

Oscar Levant to Joan Crawford in HUMORESQUE

#39 Casablanca100views

Casablanca100views

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • LocationMy Imagination

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:25 PM

Casablanca premiered on November 26, 1942, in New York. 

With the coming of the Second World War, many eyes in imprisoned Europe turned hopefully, or desperately, toward the freedom of the Americas. Lisbon became the great embarkation point. But, not everybody could get to Lisbon directly, and so a tortuous, roundabout refugee trail sprang up - Paris to Marseilles... across the Mediterranean to Oran... then by train, or auto, or foot across the rim of Africa, to Casablanca in French Morocco. Here, the fortunate ones through money, or influence, or luck, might obtain exit visas and scurry to Lisbon; and from Lisbon, to the New World. But the others wait in Casablanca... and wait... and wait... and wait.

• CCerini likes this

#40 CCerini

CCerini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:47 PM

Casablanca100:

Can’t place that quote, but for some reason it immediately reminded me of what Bogie (Dixon Steele) says in “In a Lonely Place”:

I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me.

--Gus Cerini

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users