We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Expand the Underground

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 midnighttnr

midnighttnr

• TCM_allow
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationModesto,California,U.S.A.

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:08 AM

TCM Underground needs to be hosted again like it did in it's early days when Rob Zombie hosted it. It seemed much more interesting with wrap around host bits.

#2 Analyzing 59 Classic Films

Analyzing 59 Classic Films

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:30 PM

YES!!!!

I guess TCM heard me....

This month they are airing Darktown Strutters!!!

If you've never seen this film, I cannot stress enough how much you need to. 

Looks like an interesting one for sure...

@59ClassicFilms on Facebook and Twitter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1546777636  This is my new book on classic films.

#3 ottermole

ottermole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBurbank, California

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:55 PM

THE GHASTLY LOVE OF JOHNNY X is the only sci-fi dark comedy musical fantasy you need to see on TCM Underground this year! 

https://www.youtube....h?v=8rBi3aBqQc8

lobby6.jpg

"This is the one I'll be remembered for!"

#4 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:26 AM

I thought of a movie that would be quite all right for a TCM Underground viewing:

APPLE PIE (1976)  Starring the rubber-limbed Tony Azito and featuring Brother Theodore at his most normal.  Not a movie for every taste.  It's not a dirty movie, though.  It does not contain gore, nude parts or much cussing.  It's just offbeat with a limited amound of plot.    

I wrote a review of this movie on the IMDb about a decade ago right after I bought the 'North American Video' tape.  I don't know if there has been a digital copy of this movie issued, but I'd gladly lend TCM my videocassette if they wanted to make a copy of it for broadcast.  The ending of APPLE PIE is quite a sight to see!     

#5 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:41 AM

I thought of a movie TCM could air (if they dare!) in their 'Underground' time slot:  

SINNER'S BLOOD, a 1969 pile of sleazy sludge that deserves to be seen at least once.  If TCM can snag a copy of "Death By Invitation" courtesy of the DVD company Vinegar Syndrome then perhaps Turner Classic can snag a copy of "Sinner's Blood" from DVD company Code Red.  Ya never know!

This piece of cinematic swill is •perfect• for Underground viewing.  

#6 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

I agree with you about the selection for a underground host and I would also love it if they extended the underground to two nights or week or honestly just starting earlier in the night such as beginning at 12am or even 11:30, (where I live it starts at 1 am) and showing more than just one or two underground films a Saturday night. 

I consider the 2:00 AM timeslot for Underground (and Imports) to be pretty much unwatchable. Luckily they come on at 11:00 PM where I live. I find west-coast programmer to be better overall, as much of "prime-time" isn't so prime for a lot of people any of the time. The 8:00 PM feature of the day is usually more dispensable to me, though it is arguably the most important time-slot.

The Loved One is a great movie, I'm glad that TCM shows it often. It's really hilarious.

#7 nolagirl27

nolagirl27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:02 PM

Well nola, that's quite a list. Hasn't TCM shown THE LOVED ONE?

I DO agree with you on having an UNDERGROUND host-it is simply traditional to have a "late night horror" host. TCM's a grown up channel, so not a goofy, wise cracking host like Svengoolie, but a serious host as you mention, with interesting facts about the movie.

I'd love to see Underground expand to two nights-Fri & Sat or even Saturday afternoons when I used to watch old PD horror movies as a kid.

But then we'd get every TCM fanatic screaming, "It's not classic! It's not b&w! It's not studio era!" and all that stoopid BS.I 

I think they have, but I think its unique oddness particularly for the time would be good reason to show it on the underground.

I agree with you about the selection for a underground host and I would also love it if they extended the underground to two nights or week or honestly just starting earlier in the night such as beginning at 12am or even 11:30, (where I live it starts at 1 am) and showing more than just one or two underground films a Saturday night. 

#8 nolagirl27

nolagirl27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:55 PM

I think I remember seeing this film years ago (when I was probably a bit young for it.) It was entertaining and really funny at times. Good suggestion, I'd like to see it again. It's on YT, but the video isn't so good.

Thanks for the great list!

yeah death race is a pretty enjoyable romp with nice amount of camp and trashiness to it. It has some interesting elements such as a young Sylvester Stallone, david Caradine at the height of his fame. I think it is one of Roger Cormen's more clever almost witty exploitation films! I always love the part about the the points for hitting people with your car..more points for children and handy capped people! ha ha! I also like that that it satirizes American society and its obsession with violence, as well as the sensationalization of the news media. Death race also holds up to me because in the film people watch it on the race on their tv's as if it is a reality show.

I think it is still on netflix

#9 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:42 AM

Well nola, that's quite a list. Hasn't TCM shown THE LOVED ONE?

I DO agree with you on having an UNDERGROUND host-it is simply traditional to have a "late night horror" host. TCM's a grown up channel, so not a goofy, wise cracking host like Svengoolie, but a serious host as you mention, with interesting facts about the movie.

I'd love to see Underground expand to two nights-Fri & Sat or even Saturday afternoons when I used to watch old PD horror movies as a kid.

But then we'd get every TCM fanatic screaming, "It's not classic! It's not b&w! It's not studio era!" and all that stoopid BS.

#10 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:02 PM

-Death Race 2000

I think I remember seeing this film years ago (when I was probably a bit young for it.) It was entertaining and really funny at times. Good suggestion, I'd like to see it again. It's on YT, but the video isn't so good.

Thanks for the great list!

#11 nolagirl27

nolagirl27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

I love the TCM Underground! I have a few suggestions:

-private Parts (1972) http://www.imdb.com/...4/?ref_=nv_sr_2

-Hi, Mom! (1970)

-switchblade sisters

-The Big Doll House (honestly anything Jack Hill would be amazing anytime all the time!)

-Death Race 2000

-Circle of Iron

-safari 3000

-faster Pussycat kill! kill! (i know its a given..buts just so amazing!)

-The apple

-they came from within

-Sharon's Baby (Joan Collin's is such a campy delight! love her big death scene!)

-Lord love a duck! ("Periwinkle pussycat!!!")

The loved one 

-Bloody Mama http://www.imdb.com/...=nm_flmg_act_97 (Shelley winters is amazing! and also has a young deniro and Bruce dern 

-pink flamingos (again i know obvious but come on it john waters in my opinion there should be a john waters film month)

-blood for Dracula

-black Christmas (because I don't think it gets a enough credit for how revolutionary and awesome it is)

-ash Wednesday

-boom

-Bluebeard 1972

-secret ceremony

-wake in fright

-mad dog Morgan

-the glory stompers ( Hopper is just so amazing in this)

-Repo man (1984)

-Beyond the valley of the dolls (delicious soundtrack! and another wonderfully campy mess!)

-Ilsa She Wolf of the SS (if we're getting dark..dont hate me for posting this..not a fave..just kind of a classic of the genre.. and wow if it doesnt stick with you!)

-Caged Heat (1974)

-piranha (1978)

more will come to me later!

Also it would be so cool if there was an announcer for the underground movies, before or after the film-someone who has made or has been inspired by these films (like Quentin Tarantino) or just a cult film nerd who could discuss something about these kinds of films. like why there was a famous star in it, why there is a following etc.

• mr6666 likes this

#12 nolagirl27

nolagirl27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

sorry accidentally posted twice

#13 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,924 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:41 PM

airing Sat., 9-13 (a return to their horror roots) 2 with Vincent Price:

2:00 am ET
C- 91 min
horror
Madhouse (1974)

A horror star's attempted comeback is complicated by a string of murders.

DirJames Clark CastVincent Price , Peter Cushing , Robert Quarry .

Article: http://www.tcm.com/t...rticles.html#01

madhouse-poster-590x897.jpg

followed by (Note change from NPG which shows ".....Dr. Phibes" :(

3:45 am ET
C- 88 min
horror

A scarred sculptor re-populates his ravaged wax museum with human corpses.

DirAndre DeToth CastVincent Price , Frank Lovejoy , Phyllis Kirk .

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#14 carrowsboy

carrowsboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:16 AM

YES!!!!

I guess TCM heard me....

This month they are airing Darktown Strutters!!!

If you've never seen this film, I cannot stress enough how much you need to. 

Attached Files

#15 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

Here's two more candidates for THE UNDERGROUND:

BLACK ROOM, The (1982)  "There is a room for rent in the Hollywood Hills - and the tenants are paying in blood!"  This is pretty weird and I couldn't figure the ending out, but I think it has something.  I just can't figure out what it is that makes me like this movie more than I should!  The tagline above is on the front of the Vestron Video box, which is how I came to see this movie years ago:  I rented it.  :P

PSYCHO FROM TEXAS ► Join Wheeler and Slick and their low-grade adventures along the Texas-Arkansas border as they kidnap a wealthy, retired businessman and hold him for ransom.  But things don't go as planned and there's no shortage of silliness in the meantime.  Every movie fan ought to see this at least once.  Even if it's just to criticize it.  There's a place for movies like this . . . and it's on TCM's Underground! 

I'd even be glad to let TCM borrow my old Paragon Video if there's no film print left for this masterwork and make a copy to digital just so the world will not be deprived of this slice of Rancid Cinema.  :D

• mr6666 likes this

#16 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,924 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

here's a funny 'movie morlocks' blog by Jeff Stafford from 2010:

http://moviemorlocks...n-the-audience/

& there's a bunch here, however 'legit' they may be ;)

http://www.imdb.com/...externalreviews

• 1kaleman likes this

#17 twtpark

twtpark

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

It's kinda like a guilty pleasure to see these Quality actors like Ford, Fonda, Winters, Huston et al showing their acting chops in these Underground features.Were these movies ever reviewed by legit critics?They sure must have had limited releases.

#18 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,924 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

Finally, something NEW

airing late Sat. 7-19

2:00 AM
C- 109 min
horror
Visitor, The (1979) PREMIERE as per NPG

A young girl with telekinetic powers becomes the center of a battle between good and evil.

DirMichael J Paradise CastMel Ferrer , Glenn Ford , Lance Henriksen .

"The film has been called a rip-off of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Damien: Omen II, because the film revolves around a dispute between extraterrestrials from heaven and demonic forces."

3:45 AM
C- 102 min
horror
Tentacles (1977)

A giant octopus attacks a seaside resort.

DirOvidio G Assonitis CastShelley Winters , Henry Fonda , Bo Hopkins , John Huston

"there are some quality actors involved--Huston, Fonda, Hopkins, and Shelley Winters have all done fantastic work in other films, and two, there are a couple moments where the incompetence achieves a level of sublime ridiculousness so that Tentacles becomes "so bad it's good"

#19 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:19 AM

I've got a weird Hitler movie from the '60s:  SEARCH FOR THE EVIL ONE (1967)

"Hitler Is Alive - Find Him!"

It's a barrel of fun. 

#20 carrowsboy

carrowsboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:57 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

I was being sarcastic about The Baby, but I am a huge TCM Underground (and underground cinema) fan.

The first day of each month, I come straight to the TCM website and check the schedule for Underground. Then Joan, Bette, Susan Hayward, etc... films and when they'll be airing.

I'm guessing August will be the annual "Summer Under The Stars" event so no Underground til September.

There are a ton of Underground films I wish TCM would air. Any of the early John Waters films, Titicut Follies (haven't seen this baby since college), early Ken Russell (but especially Crimes of Passion), Pasolini's Canterbury Tales, Arabian Knights & Salo (though that one may be tricky), Ms. 45, Straw Dogs, Darktown Strutters, The Pack, Lipstick, Silent Night, Deadly Night, Reform School Girls, Hamburger: The Motion Picture, The Anniversary... just to name a few.

Anyone remember about 20 years or so ago, TNT used to air late night movies under their title of: 100% Weird! That is where I first saw that weird Hitler movie from the 60s, which was more an unintentional comedy than biopic.

• mr6666 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users