We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Expand the Underground

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

I'm often disappointed in TCM's management of this program, simply because they show the same films on it over and over again. It seems like The Baby has been coming up a lot recently. I often find myself skipping Underground simply because I've already seen what's on, and fairly recently, at that. I find it hard to believe that they can't get the rights to more films like this. I'm sure there's no shortage of them. It just doesn't seem like there's anyone at TCM who cares about keeping this show fresh.

Unlike the "regular" TCM viewer, I also wouldn't mind if films like these showed up in prime time more often. It seems like the 2:00 AM time slot for Underground and Imports is an insult to anyone who has an interest in seeing these movies. I'm glad I live 3 hours earlier, the programming is much better this way.

#42 twtpark

twtpark

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:44 PM

It is a  great idea to expand TCM Underground to two nights.Time can put a" Halo" on a lot of these Underground movies. These guilty pleasures can truly entertain, titilate, sometimes make you gasp  and make you wonder did they ever see an audience before TCM airings.

#43 CountessDracula

CountessDracula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:56 PM

I am a huge fan of TCM Underground.  I would love to see them expand it to add another night.   I am often amazed at the true eclectic nuggets they dig up.    Recently I really enjoyed "The Candy Snatchers" and "Skidoo" ( just... wow ) .  Also, where else would you see "Chained for Life" with the The Hilton sisters.  Sure it was not a good movie but still you can not look away.    

As to "Valley of the Dolls" being on Underground I think a better fit would be "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls".  That movie is truly out there. 

#44 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:59 AM

Adding mainstream films such as, Married to the Mob, etc. would defeat the purpose of the Underground, since they don't fit the definition and they can be shown on TCM at any time. Adding mainstream films to TCM Underground would destroy the show.

I agree, although only somewhat.

I just returned from the Salt City Horror Festival where movies like this are screened all day in 35mm. Movies like THE LOST BOYS, POPCORN, FRIGHT NIGHT, TREMORS, etc. The audience whoops it up when the "bad guy" is finally killed off, it's like watching Underground with 300 people. Definitely the way to see these first!

These films are truly worth seeing, if only for context, although many are pretty decently made & acted. (esp when compared to CGI movies of today)

I never originally saw all those 80's schlock horror films that have since become cult favorites. To me, they are exactly the same as schlocky 50's horror (& sci-fi) in that they may not be great movies- they miss the mark somewhat- but they are fun entertainment. And reflect their times ie: 80's= teens sex, gory effects, music while 50's = atomic fears, aliens fears, mutation fears.

I think the "usual" TCM viewer might be turned off by these films in prime time, not unlike silents, an acquired taste. Didn't they show some roller skating movie in Underground? 

#45 Guest_luckykelly_*

Guest_luckykelly_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

TCM Underground is my favorite show in the world. I look forward to it every week, and I am always amazed and delighted at the crazy, deranged movies they find. I love those weird shorts they show at the end too. All of it is so great; it seems like it's made just for me.

Adding mainstream films such as, Married to the Mob, etc. would defeat the purpose of the Underground, since they don't fit the definition and they can be shown on TCM at any time. Adding mainstream films to TCM Underground would destroy the show.

An expansion of the Underground to Friday and Saturday does sound good though. That would be awesome!

My only complaint is that the TCM Underground web page isn't being updated enough and it's just sitting there neglected. I always like reading about the films after I've watched them, but the web page has not been updated for 3 weeks.  

#46 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,194 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

There's no reason why all three of those titles shouldn't play at any time on TCM. None  of them are examples of what I would consider Underground worthy. They're more mainstream productions and quite famous as such.

White Knights, Manginas and Simps, oh my!

#47 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,194 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

Underground Programming is the first thing I look at whenever a new schedule is published.

I'd love to see Underground expanded to two nights per week - Fridays and Saturdays with at least two movies selected for each night.

• carrowsboy likes this
White Knights, Manginas and Simps, oh my!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users