We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Shirley Booth & Robert Ryan

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,921 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

Well,  how about any film expect Bad Day at Black Rock.   

I still have never seen BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK. I think the reason I've avoided it is because the subject matter doesn't seem interesting to me. Though I'm sure there are excellent performances in it. Maybe one day I will watch it and kick myself for waiting so long.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

Daniel Mann could pull amazing performances out of actors- Shirley Booth in "Come Back, Little Sheba", Anna Magnani in "The Rose Tattoo", Susan Hayward in "I'll Cry Tomorrow", Marlon Brando and Glenn Ford in "The Teahouse of the August Moon",  Elizabeth Taylor in "Butterfield 8", Rosalind Russell in "Five Finger Exercise" and Bruce Davison in "Willard".

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#3 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:40 PM

I totally agree!

Well,  how about any film expect Bad Day at Black Rock.     I select this film because it is hard to dominate a film where the lead (Tracy) is a one-armed veteran.       Ryan wasn't in any films with a child and his dog or that would also be an exception to the rule.   ;)

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,921 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:31 PM

TopBilled, Any film with Robert Ryan becomes less interesting when he's not on the screen.

I totally agree!

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:41 PM

Good comment. Obviously the present-day subplot is meant to show us she found continued purpose in life after his death. But the film is less interesting when Ryan is not on screen with her. 

TopBilled, Any film with Robert Ryan becomes less interesting when he's not on the screen.

• TopBilled likes this

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,921 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:22 AM

I've been going back through threads and came across this, so I wanted to comment. It's a surprising pairing, one you wouldn't initially think to make, but they work so well together. The peace and contentment they find in each other's company surpasses the histrionics you find in many screen romances. I adore this film. My only quibble is that the secondary, contemporary (The Booth/Ryan romance is in flashback.) boarding house romance between her young tenants in no way compares to the main story and acts as a drag on the movie.

Good comment. Obviously the present-day subplot is meant to show us she found continued purpose in life after his death. But the film is less interesting when Ryan is not on screen with her. 

• DougieB and ChristineHoard like this

#7 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:18 AM

Airing Friday May 13, 2016 on TCM:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-05-09%2Bat%2B10.23.

I've been going back through threads and came across this, so I wanted to comment. It's a surprising pairing, one you wouldn't initially think to make, but they work so well together. The peace and contentment they find in each other's company surpasses the histrionics you find in many screen romances. I adore this film. My only quibble is that the secondary, contemporary (The Booth/Ryan romance is in flashback.) boarding house romance between her young tenants in no way compares to the main story and acts as a drag on the movie.

• TopBilled and ChristineHoard like this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,921 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:27 PM

Airing Friday May 13, 2016 on TCM:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-05-09%2Bat%2B10.23.

• rayban likes this

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,921 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-05-09%2Bat%2B10.26.

• DougieB likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users