We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Articles and obituaries

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:24 AM

John Heard Obituary From July 22nd

John Heard — the actor known for his role in several iconic ’80s and ’90s movies including BigBeaches, and Home Alone — died Friday in Palo Alto, California. He was 71. The details of his death have not yet been released.

With a four-decade career in Hollywood and more than 200 credits on stage and screen, Heard appeared in a number of well-known projects — including Gladiator, The SopranosNCIS: Los Angeles, and The Pelican Brief. His most popular role perhaps came in 1990’s Home Alone, where he stared as Peter McCallister — the living (yet forgetful) dad to Macaulay Culkin‘s Kevin. Heard would reprise the role in the 1992 sequel. He made his Broadway debut in 1973’s Warp and would return to the Broadway stage three more times —including in the 1983 revival of Tennessee Williams’ The Glass Menagerie, where he played the famed Gentleman Caller alongside Oscar winner Jessica Tandy.

• TopBilled and jinsinna13 like this

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#2 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

Roger Moore Obituary from May 23rd

Roger Moore, the suave English actor best known for playing James Bond and Simon Templar in The Saint TV series, has died at age 89 in Switzerland.

Moore was best known for playing the third incarnation of the famous 007 spy in seven Bond films released between 1973 and 1985 including Live And Let Die and The Spy Who Loved Me. He starred in more James Bond films than any other actor to date, bringing a fresh wit to the sophisticated MI5 spy. He starred in ITV’s romantic adventure Ivanhoe from 1956-1958 before featuring in ABC Western The Alaskans and Maverick. After he starred in hit crime shows such as The Saint, which ran for 118 episodes, as well as The Persuaders, Hollywood began to take note of the charming and witty actor. Bond producer Albert Broccoli offered Moore the role of 007 in 1972 and he wrote in his autobiography that he had to lose weight and cut his hair before starring in the franchise for more than 13 years. The third Bond actor to hit the big screen, after Sean Connery and George Lazenby, Moore starred as the 007 agent in Live And Let Die (1973), The Man With The Golden Gun (1974), The Spy Who Loved Me (1977), Moonraker (1971), For Your Eyes Only (1981), Octopussy (1983) and A View To A Kill (1985).

ad245845384file-photossir-r.jpg?w=748&h=

Moore was also on Maverick after James Garner left. He played English cousin Beau.

Bret and Bart also had a baby brother. He was on the show after Moore left, and I believe he only lasted on the show for two or three episodes.

There were fraternal twins Bret (James Garner) and Bart (Jack Kelly), their English cousin Beau (Moore), and their baby brother Brad. If the show lasted longer than five years, we would probably be introduced to a baby sister, Bernadette.

• jinsinna13 likes this

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#3 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

Roger Moore Obituary from May 23rd

Roger Moore, the suave English actor best known for playing James Bond and Simon Templar in The Saint TV series, has died at age 89 in Switzerland.

Moore was best known for playing the third incarnation of the famous 007 spy in seven Bond films released between 1973 and 1985 including Live And Let Die and The Spy Who Loved Me. He starred in more James Bond films than any other actor to date, bringing a fresh wit to the sophisticated MI5 spy. He starred in ITV’s romantic adventure Ivanhoe from 1956-1958 before featuring in ABC Western The Alaskans and Maverick. After he starred in hit crime shows such as The Saint, which ran for 118 episodes, as well as The Persuaders, Hollywood began to take note of the charming and witty actor. Bond producer Albert Broccoli offered Moore the role of 007 in 1972 and he wrote in his autobiography that he had to lose weight and cut his hair before starring in the franchise for more than 13 years. The third Bond actor to hit the big screen, after Sean Connery and George Lazenby, Moore starred as the 007 agent in Live And Let Die (1973), The Man With The Golden Gun (1974), The Spy Who Loved Me (1977), Moonraker (1971), For Your Eyes Only (1981), Octopussy (1983) and A View To A Kill (1985).

ad245845384file-photossir-r.jpg?w=748&h=

#4 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

Dina Merrill Obituary from May 23rd

The family of Dina Merrill Hartley confirmed Tuesday morning that the actress and philanthropist, an icon of taste and sophistication in both worlds, died at home Monday in East Hampton, NY, surrounded by her family. The cause was Lewy Body dementia, the family said. She was 93.

Merrill’s remarkable career – it could aptly be described as exquisitely curated – spanned more than half a century and included memorable roles in films from the serious (Daniel Mann’s 1960 BUtterfield 8) to the comic (Blake Edwards’ 1959 Operation Petticoat); on Broadway (notably as Peggy Porter in George Abbott’s 1983 revival of his, Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart’s On Your Toes); and the Golden Age of live television as well as a stint as Oscar Madison’s love interest in an episode of The Odd Couple.

Yet whatever the role, Merrill rarely shed the native skin of her privileged class and breeding as an American heiress born into wealth. From her earliest years, she summered at Mar-a-Lago, the family estate in Palm Beach, FL now owned by President Donald Trump, and spent long months aboard the family yacht, Sea Cloud.

Born Nedenia Marjorie Hutton in New York City on December 29, 1923, Merrill was the only child of Post Cereals heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post and Wall Street investment broker Edward Francis “E.F.” Hutton. She adopted the stage name Dina Merrill, borrowing from Charles E. Merrill, a distant relative and a famous stockbroker like her father. During World War II, she was a member of Moss Hart’s USO troupe, performing throughout the Pacific. Merrill made her Broadway debut in John Van Druten’s The Mermaid Singing in 1945. She had a more substantial role in 1975’s revival of the drama Angel Street.

Merrill’s filmography includes more than 25 features including Desk Set (1957), The Sundowners (1960), The Young Savages (1961), The Courtship Of Eddie’s Father, and Robert Altman’s A Wedding (1978) and The Player (1992). Her 100-plus TV appearances ranged from What’s My Line? to What Makes Sammy Run? to The Magnificent Ambersons.

The was chairman of the board and director emeritus with over 50 years of service to the New York City Mission Society. When her son David was diagnosed with diabetes, Merrill founded the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, dedicated to diabetic research. She served as the International Ambassador for ORBIS International, the flying eye hospital, which teaches advanced eye care and eye surgical techniques all over the world.

Merrill also served as a board member of the Population Resource Council and the Republican Majority for Choice Committee promoting choice for women, and was a founding vice chairman of the Pro-Choice Coalition.

screen-shot-2017-05-23-at-10-25-15-am.pn

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,620 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:26 PM

There's more to this TCM article (link below):

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-12-29%2Bat%2B12.17.

http://www.tcm.com/t...olds-1932-2016-

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#6 Arsan404

Arsan404

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts
  • LocationLas Hiberias

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:58 PM

Just when we were still trying to accept Carry Fisher's death, and now Debbie Reynolds. Terrible double blow.

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,620 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:21 PM

Carrie%2526Debbie.png

Such an unbelievably sad past few days.

Debbie.jpg

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#8 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:08 PM

Debbie Reynolds Obituary from December 28th

Debbie Reynolds, the Oscar-nominated singer-actress who was the mother of late actress Carrie Fisher, has died at Cedars-Sinai hospital. She was 84.

“She wanted to be with Carrie,” her son Todd Fisher told Variety.

She was taken to the hospital from Todd Fisher’s Beverly Hills house Wednesday after a suspected stroke, the day after her daughter Carrie Fisher died.

fd89dcf999e0b9b2ce6966e23aff3b1a.jpg

2016 was the worst years of our lives.  (See what I did there?) Luckily, there's only 3 days left.

#9 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 04:11 PM

Thank you jinsinna13 for posting the article on Carrie Fisher. 

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-12-28%2Bat%2B9.35.0

I had forgotten about her various screenwriting credits.

You're welcome.

2016 is horrible for celebrity deaths. Luckily, there's only 3 days left.

• jinsinna13 likes this

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,620 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:37 AM

Thank you jinsinna13 for posting the article on Carrie Fisher. 

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-12-28%2Bat%2B9.35.0

I had forgotten about her various screenwriting credits.

• jinsinna13 likes this

#11 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 08:07 AM

Carrie Fisher Obituary from December 27th

Actress Carrie Fisher, best known for playing Princess Leia Organa in the original “Star Wars” trilogy, died at age 60.

Fisher was taken to UCLA Medical Center after reportedly suffering a heart attack on Friday. She leaves behind a daughter, 24-year-old actress Billie Lourd, who released this statement through the family’s spokesman, Simon Halls:

“It is with a very deep sadness that Billie Lourd confirms that her beloved mother Carrie Fisher passed away at 8:55 this morning,” reads the statement.

“She was loved by the world and she will be missed profoundly. Our entire family thanks you for your thoughts and prayers.”

Fisher was born in 1956 in Beverly Hills, California, to singer Eddie Fisher and actress Debbie Reynolds. She attended Beverly Hills High School until she left to act alongside her mother in a Broadway revival of “Irene.” Later, she studied at the Central School of Speech and Drama in London, and was accepted into Sarah Lawrence College to study the arts, but did not graduate.

Fisher starred in the original “Star Wars” film, “A New Hope,” at age 20 in 1977. She continued to play a lead role in the iconic sci-fi series alongside co-stars Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford, starring in “The Empire Strikes Back” in 1980 and “Return of the Jedi” in 1983. She most recently returned to the franchise in 2015, where she reprised her role as Leia Organa — now a general — in “The Force Awakens.”

While finding success with “Star Wars,” Fisher continued her illustrious career on the silver screen in films such as “The Blues Brothers” (1980), “Hannah and Her Sisters” (1986) and “When Harry Met Sally ...” (1989), among others.

The actress dated musician Paul Simon starting in 1977. The two had a yearlong marriage that ended in 1984. In between, Fisher was engaged to actor Dan Aykroyd, with whom she starred in “The Blues Brothers.” Fisher later coupled up with CAA talent agent Bryan Lourd, with whom she had her daughter, Billie, in 1992.

Fisher was also a prolific writer, first publishing her semi-autobiographical novel Postcards from the Edge in 1987, about an actress who tries to regain a hold of her life after a near drug overdose. The book was adapted into a movie in 1990 starring Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine.

Later, she published a memoir titled Wishful Drinking, based on her one-woman stage show of the same name. In it, Fisher touched on topics from growing up as Reynolds’ daughter, to bipolar disorder, drug addiction and motherhood. She released her latest memoir, The Princess Diarist, in 2016. In the book, she revealed that she had an “intense” affair with “Star Wars” co-star Ford.

Fisher also built a reputation in Hollywood as being a skilled scriptwriter. According to Uproxx, the actress had a hand in polishing scripts for “Hook,” “The Wedding Singer,” and “Sister Act,” among other films.

In recent years, Fisher had become a humorous presence on Twitter, handily commenting during presidential debates and shutting down critics.

A legend of the screen, stage and page, this icon will be deeply missed.

#12 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,834 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:32 AM

Van Williams, I loved him - so much - as one of the leads in "Surfside Six".

I can still remember the theme song.

RIP, Mr. Williams, you gave us - so very much.

Ray--

Way way before Surfside 6, in fact probably before you were born, I was a fan of Van Williams on Bourbon Street Beat. You really have to check out that theme music. For local color on the show, they had a black Dixieland band.

We will all miss Van very much.
  • TopBilled likes this

#13 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:40 AM

Over the weekend, MeTV ran two classic episodes of "Batman" in which Van Williams appeared as Brett Reid aka The Green Hornet. And, of course, he was accompanied by his adoring sidekick, Bruce Lee as Kato.

Such fun, Batman, Robin, The Green Hornet, Kato, Pinksy Pinkston (Diane McBain) and even Mr. Edward G. Robinson himself!

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#14 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:46 AM

Van Williams, I loved him - so much - as one of the leads in "Surfside Six".

I can still remember the theme song.

RIP, Mr. Williams, you gave us - so very much.

• TopBilled and Princess of Tap like this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,620 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:35 AM

I only post obituaries of actors I like, and Van Williams is one of them. The only thing I ever saw him in was an episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show  called "No Rice At My Wedding" where Mary Tyler Moore has to choose between him and Dick Van Dyke. (There is also a memorable scene where Van Dyke accidentally kisses Ann Morgan Guilbert in the projection room.) The episode itself was lame, but I thought Van Williams did a good job in it. He's also memorable to me because I think he looks like Ricky Nelson. (I love Ricky Nelson.)

Did you read the Robert Vaughn obituary I posted? (As you can tell from my signature, I'm a HUGE Robert Vaughn fan.) The picture on the obituary I posted is smaller because it is from my computer collection. (You can expand it if you want to make it bigger.) The obituary itself was from November 11th, but I only got around to posting it this morning. Read it if you get around to it.

Yes, I did see the Vaughn obit you posted. I think the Van Williams one caught my eye a bit more, because we had just talked about him, and he's someone people tend to overlook. He's in a third season episode of The Big Valley, called 'Rimfire,' where he plays the sheriff of a mining town visited by Jarrod Barkley. It's kind of structured like the pilot for another series that was not picked up by the network. He's very good in it. I had forgotten he became a firefighter after his acting career ended.

• rayban and jinsinna13 like this

#16 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:22 AM

I only post obituaries of actors I like, and Van Williams is one of them. The only thing I ever saw him in was an episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show  called "No Rice At My Wedding" where Mary Tyler Moore has to choose between him and Dick Van Dyke. (There is also a memorable scene where Van Dyke accidentally kisses Ann Morgan Guilbert in the projection room.) The episode itself was lame, but I thought Van Williams did a good job in it. He's also memorable to me because I think he looks like Ricky Nelson. (I love Ricky Nelson.)

Did you read the Robert Vaughn obituary I posted? (As you can tell from my signature, I'm a HUGE Robert Vaughn fan.) The picture on the obituary I posted is smaller because it is from my computer collection. (You can expand it if you want to make it bigger.) The obituary itself was from November 11th, but I only got around to posting it this morning. Read it if you get around to it.

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,620 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:09 AM

I'm glad to see someone mention Van Williams. We were talking about him recently in the westerns sub-forum, because he was in an episode of The Big Valley.

• rayban likes this

#18 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:48 AM

Van Williams Obituary from December 5th

Van Williams (1934-2016) was an actor best known for his television role as Britt Reid/the Green Hornet and his earlier leading role as Kenny Madison in both Warner Bros. television detective series Bourbon Street Beat (1959) and its sequel, Surfside 6 (1960). He teamed for one season with the late Bruce Lee as his partner Kato, in the television series The Green Hornet, broadcast on ABC during the 1966–67 season.

According to a report on Facebook, by producer Kevin Burns, Van Williams died on November 26, 2016, at the age of 82 or kidney failure. He was reported to have worked as a firefighter in the greater Los Angeles area, in addition to his being a Reserve Deputy Sheriff, and to have suffered singed lungs and back injuries as a result.

BGXTkpA.jpg

• TopBilled, rayban and jinsinna13 like this

#19 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:40 AM

Robert Vaughn Obituary from November 11th

Robert Vaughn, the cleft-chinned actor who reached the peak of his fame in the 1960s playing Napoleon Solo, the debonair international agent tasked with saving the world each week on the hit television series “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.,” died on Friday in Danbury, Conn. He was 83.

His manager, Matthew Sullivan, said that the cause was acute leukemia, for which Mr. Vaughn had been under treatment in Manhattan and Connecticut.

Mr. Vaughn had numerous roles in film and on television. He played an old boyfriend of Laura Petrie (Mary Tyler Moore) on an episode of “The Dick Van Dyke Show” and a gunman in “The Magnificent Seven” (1960). He was nominated for an Academy Award as best supporting actor for his role as a man accused of murder in “The Young Philadelphians” (1959) and won an Emmy in 1978 for his performance as a White House chief of staff in the mini-series “Washington: Behind Closed Doors.”

But no character he played was as popular as Napoleon Solo. From 1964 to 1968, in the thick of the Cold War, millions of Americas tuned in weekly to “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.” to watch Mr. Vaughn, as a superagent from the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, battling T.H.R.U.S.H. (Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesirables and the Subjugation of Humanity), a secret organization intent on achieving world domination through nefarious if far-fetched devices like mind-controlling gas.

At the height of the show’s popularity, Mr. Vaughn said he was receiving 70,000 fan letters a month.

The show was a self-aware parody of Ian Fleming’s creation James Bond, who had been played by Sean Connery in two hit movies by the time “The Man From U.N.C.L.E.” made its debut. (Fleming served as an adviser to the show, and is widely credited with coining the name Napoleon Solo.)

“The whole show is a joke. It’s an extension of the Bond joke into a gigantic cartoon in prime time,” Mr. Vaughn told The Saturday Evening Post in an 1965 interview, to which, the magazine noted, he arrived wearing a custom-tailored Italian suit and a black silk tie.

Despite his acclaim, Mr. Vaughn could be a little disdainful about his vocation. “Acting has always been very boring to me,” he told The Post. “Anyone not in television to become a millionaire is a simpleton.”

He befriended a young James Coburn and took credit for getting him a role in “The Magnificent Seven.”

After that, his life was a series of increasingly high-profile parts, and then he landed “U.N.C.L.E.” The show was such a success at first that he expected it to last for many years, but the ratings dropped, and it was canceled halfway through its fourth season.

He kept busy afterward, appearing on numerous TV shows and in movies like “Bullitt” (1968) and “The Towering Inferno” (1974).

fd83623461fce526977d862eee129a18.jpg

RIP Darling :(

#20 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,777 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:13 PM

• TopBilled likes this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users