We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

t.c.m. guest programmers

same stuff

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OllieTSB

OllieTSB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:57 PM

I find hundreds of films a year on TCM that I've never seen before (in some 50 years of watching) or even heard of.  I've had this notion that some programmer - some TCM programmer who is part Sherlock - finds treasures and often I see these on a Monday or Tuesday morning.

I simply look thru the schedule and find titles I don't know - there will always be a gem in there somewhere. 

I also get the feeling that, after 10 years of detecting these amazing gems, that TCM's vault shelves are so high and so deep that this staff can bestow so many more gems without half trying.

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,038 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:07 PM

The OP is completely mistaken.  I was one of the 15 Fan Guest Programmers five years ago and the film I asked to present with Robert Osborne, "Those Lips, Those Eyes," had never been on TCM before.  Another member of the 15 also picked a film new to TCM, butr I don't recall what it was. 

I believe a valid point is that guest programmers offen don't 'mix it up'.    My wife was asking me why I don't try to be a fan guest programmer and if I was what 3 or 4 movies would I show.

My first list was some of my favorite movies but these are movies TCM shows fairly often since they are WB pictures;  The Big Sleep,  The Petrified Forest,   etc...

My point being that if I was ever a Fan Guest Programmer I would need assistance from TCM staff in order to avoid picking movies that TCM had shown in the last 6 months (or so).

#3 filmlover

filmlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

The OP is completely mistaken.  I was one of the 15 Fan Guest Programmers five years ago and the film I asked to present with Robert Osborne, "Those Lips, Those Eyes," had never been on TCM before.  Another member of the 15 also picked a film new to TCM, butr I don't recall what it was. 

#4 lavenderblue19

lavenderblue19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,640 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

I've never seen A Man Named Adam on TCM before, and it's not your typical "classic film" so I disagee with the OP. That film was so interesting and it was a premiere film for TCM. The music was so fantastic, best performance by Sammy Davis Jr in a film and the rest of the cast was so good. I was so glad that TCM showed A Man Named Adam

#5 patful

patful

Advanced Age

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:03 PM

Not always true. I recall the fan programmers introducing So Long at the Fair and Those Lips, Those Eyes back in 2009.

#6 28Silent

28Silent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:03 PM

Have you ever  notice ,when, t.c.m, invites a celeberaty   or a public figure or an average perosn to introduce a t.c.m movie, have you observe that they all want the same thing.The film that are only avaialble on t.cm,never nothing that has not been seen in years.Becuase they are only the fans of what t,cm has to offer or fans of what is popular, the one tha are recommended by the coprate film historian.The ones on my side,,The fans of national and international open film history in general,which t.c.m don;t serve us equally , They find out wha t.cm doesn't show or won't show or has not shown yet, the unknow nclassic ,so my   side don't wast their time or they been turned down cause they want to see a classic film thats collercting dust at u.c.l.a :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users