We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

SPORTS

• Please log in to reply
2128 replies to this topic

#1 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,063 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted Today, 10:30 PM

Watched the game and thought poor call from the Refs. The rule they couldn't come back on the field with only 8 seconds I've never known. I thought he broke the plane and scored. Took guts to make call in Detroit. So much for home field advantage calls...

Yeah, BUT don't forget now days all NFL play reviews are done in that place known as "The Big Apple"!

And so, how "gutsy" would it have been for some damn "New Yawkah" to MAKE that **** call when HE was 618 miles away, HUH?!

Yeah, you guessed it. I just now looked up the distance between those to cities on the internet.

(...I mean, c'mon now...it wasn't as if THAT blind fool, whoever he was, was gonna get pelted with cups of beer and other assorted objects and debris as HE walked off the field, RIGHT?!)

;)

Edited by TCMModerator1, Today, 10:41 PM.
Edited for Language

#2 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted Today, 10:05 PM

Absolutely! After watching the reply at least half a dozen times myself, I saw nothing "conclusive" enough on those replays in order for the review officials to overturn the call on the field!

(...what IS with those zebras sometimes, anyway?!!) 

Watched the game and thought poor call from the Refs. The rule they couldn't come back on the field with only 8 seconds I've never known. I thought he broke the plane and scored. Took guts to make call in Detroit. So much for home field advantage calls...

Then the Lord descended in the Cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Numbers 12:5

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#3 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,063 posts

Posted Today, 06:18 PM

GvJ6yAr1_bigger.jpg The Daily Caller‏Verified account @DailyCaller 3h3 hours agoEmbed Tweet

The Detroit Lions Got Hosed In Spectacular Fashion By The NFL https://trib.al/2xtgFrh DKkiOECVYAAtzrg.jpg

Absolutely! After watching the reply at least half a dozen times myself, I saw nothing "conclusive" enough on those replays in order for the review officials to overturn the call on the field!

(...what IS with those zebras sometimes, anyway?!!) 

#4 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted Today, 11:39 AM

GvJ6yAr1_bigger.jpg The Daily CallerVerified account @DailyCaller 7h7 hours ago

See The Shakeups In The Latest College Football AP Poll https://trib.al/RNkztbD  #CollegeFootball #CFB #CFBPlayoffDKj0eoOW4AAuQBW.jpg

Then the Lord descended in the Cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Numbers 12:5

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#5 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted Today, 11:08 AM

GvJ6yAr1_bigger.jpg The Daily CallerVerified account @DailyCaller 3h3 hours agoEmbed Tweet

The Detroit Lions Got Hosed In Spectacular Fashion By The NFL https://trib.al/2xtgFrh DKkiOECVYAAtzrg.jpg

• Dargo likes this

John Wayne

#6 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted Yesterday, 07:27 PM

23LkpO-n_bigger.jpg CBC NewsVerified account @CBCNews 8h8 hours ago

Penguins set politics aside, accept invitation to White House http://www.cbc.ca/1.4304802 DKgLF5UXUAAgNWm.jpg

DARN TOOTIN'

John Wayne

#7 midwestan

midwestan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted Yesterday, 06:33 PM

Midwestan's college football analysis is more concise and spot-on than some of the stuff on TV.

Thanks for the kind words ChristineHoard!  To think that 20+ years of sports broadcasting at my dinky local radio station has validated me as a TCM Message Board poster!!  :D 

• ChristineHoard likes this

#8 midwestan

midwestan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted Yesterday, 06:30 PM

A lot of flap here today about that last Lion's touchdown being called back.

I gotta tell ya, it looked good to ME, but then, I don't really get into much NFL anymore, and if it's in the rules, then so be it. 

Too bad though.

Sepiatone

Yeah, that was a tough break for the Lions.  Ten years ago or so, before video reviews, that might have counted as 6 points.  Then again, everyone on Monday sports talk shows would be blathering on about how the Falcons got ripped off!

• Sepiatone likes this

#9 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted Yesterday, 06:20 PM

I gotta tell ya, it looked good to ME, but then, I don't really get into much NFL anymore, and if it's in the rules, then so be it. 

Too bad though.

Sepiatone

I bet.  Even though I live in Georgia and I generally root for the Falcons, the Bears are my home-grown team so I root for them despite much heartbreak.  They actually won a game today!  Anyway, that Lions play was close but not enough to overturn.

• midwestan likes this

#10 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,085 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted Yesterday, 06:12 PM

Too bad though.

Sepiatone

• midwestan likes this

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#11 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted Yesterday, 05:35 PM

Midwestan's college football analysis is more concise and spot-on than some of the stuff on TV.

• midwestan likes this

#12 midwestan

midwestan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted Yesterday, 04:29 PM

Saturday was a little unusual in that, 10 of the Top 25 teams were playing on the road against unranked opponents.  Utah played at Arizona on Friday night.  How did they do?

Alabama--easy win over previously unbeaten Vanderbilt.

Oklahoma--won at Baylor, but needed a strong 4th quarter to make the score lopsided.

USC---got a stiff test in Berkeley, but eventually wore down California.

Penn State---touchdown on the last play averted an upset to Iowa.

Michigan---used a strong second half defense to turn aside Purdue.

Washington---slow start turned into a blowout win against Colorado.

Florida---edged unbeaten Kentucky by 1 (insane 30-year win streak against the Wildcats).

Auburn---crushed hapless Missouri.

Utah---held off Arizona to win a close game.

San Diego State---Aztecs survived a 90-minute lightning delay to win at Air Force.

Oregon---lost a tough one to Arizona State.

So, they went 10-1.  Looks like these teams could be major players in their conferences or respective conference divisions by the end of November.   So too could Georgia (hammered Mississippi State at home), TCU (impressive win at Oklahoma State), Clemson (big 4th quarter propels their win over Boston College), Notre Dame (nice win at Michigan State), Ohio State (expected big win over UNLV and got it), Virginia Tech (blew out Old Dominion), South Florida (walloped defending AAC champs Temple).  and UCF (eye-popping dominance on the road against an improved Maryland squad).

Disappointments:  Florida State---injury-plagued and hurricane weary, but lost at home to NC State.  UCLA---thanks to its non-existent defense, got crushed by Stanford.  Arkansas---lost to Texas A & M and is sub-.500 on the year.  Bret Bielema left Wisconsin for this?  Boise State---lost at home to Virginia, a team that Indiana raked over the coals in Charlottesville last week!   Maryland---opened the year with impressive win at Texas.  Three weeks later...get battered at home by Central Florida!  Tennessee---what to make of the Vols?  Two close wins (Georgia Tech & Massachusetts), one close loss (at Florida), and one blowout win (vs. Indiana State).

• ChristineHoard likes this

#13 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,938 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted Yesterday, 11:58 AM

From the @sfchronicle’s Santiago Mejia, here is A’s rookie Bruce Maxwell becoming the first MLB player to take a knee for the anthem:

DKc34ckUMAIQXRI.jpg

This is the correct way to take a knee:

Tv7qknI.png

• mr6666 likes this

I'm a big boy.

#14 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,063 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:30 AM

What a game that Penn State-Iowa game was last night!

(...I had a feeling Iowa after scoring their final TD had left a little too much time on the clock to allow for Penn State's final winning drive) 

#15 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,376 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:33 AM

Ben Mankiewicz Retweeted

From the @sfchronicle’s Santiago Mejia, here is A’s rookie Bruce Maxwell becoming the first MLB player to take a knee for the anthem:

DKc34ckUMAIQXRI.jpg

• midwestan likes this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#16 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:52 AM

Ancestry Retweeted

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Hall of Famer Yogi Berra died 2 years ago today. Memorial page here: http://ancstry.me/2wHY3wt DKV4G7yW0AAw9m1.jpg

John Wayne

#17 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:21 AM

GvJ6yAr1_bigger.jpg The Daily CallerVerified account @DailyCaller 2m2 minutes ago

Five Gambling Picks For Week Four Of College Football https://trib.al/b3PRQum DKaxEcdVYAAvaR4.jpg

John Wayne

#18 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:44 AM

The Daily Caller Retweeted

It's Saturday and that means college football is on TV. Make sure the grill is hot, the beers are cold and have an outstanding day.

Life is Good...

John Wayne

#19 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:43 AM

GvJ6yAr1_bigger.jpg The Daily CallerVerified account @DailyCaller 4m4 minutes ago

Hookstead’s College Football Game Of The Week: Penn State Vs. Iowa https://trib.al/oIjbF63 DKanvBqXoAAjO2Q.jpg

John Wayne

#20 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

zFdLhwbT_bigger.jpg

Undefeated seasons are on the line in the SEC.

— Bleacher Report (@BleacherReport) https://twitter.com/...257061937180672

John Wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users