We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

SPORTS

• Please log in to reply
2009 replies to this topic

#1 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted Yesterday, 10:15 PM

If the Falcons had stuck to basics in the second half instead of 

making a lot of dumb moves, the comeback would have fallen

short. But noooooooooooo.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#2 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,694 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted Yesterday, 08:51 PM

So my point was less about Belichick verses Brady and more about how a well run system with a great coach is more likely to lead to multiple SBs than having a great Q.B.

I would think another example of this would be the record setting "The Greatest Show of Turf" offense of Rams head coach Mike Marsh.

I mean, when you can take what was before being acquired by the Rams was pretty much a journeyman QB with limited foot speed, BUT with one of the quickest release arm motions ever(I'm talkin' Kurt Warner here of course), and which perfectly plays into a timing and spot location type pass offense, you end up winning a Super Bowl and ALMOST win another one, IF you're not out-coached in your second SB appearance by guess who?

Yep, Bill Belichick.

Yep, the Rams should have beaten the Pats in SB XXXVI, but Marsh got out-coached by Belichick when Belichick's game plan was primarily geared to stop the pass at the expense of stopping the run. But, Marsh failed to later adjust his game plan and switch to more a running game, AND a running game featuring the great Marshall Faulk and of which the FEW times the Rams went with it in that game was shown to be very effective. And YET inexplicably, Marsh primarily continued on with his pass offense throughout the game, and thus the result being totally out-coached and thus losing a game the Rams SHOULD have won.

(...and while I know this sounds a lot like "Monday morning quarterbacking" here, you should have HEARD me yelling at the TV set I was watching that game on, and yelling at Marsh in particular to switch to more a running game)

#3 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,359 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted Yesterday, 06:57 PM

James, you say you don't agree with Dungy but then comment along the lines of what he said (which I agree with.) But I agree there is some sour grapes there (with Dungy). There is something unholy about the Belichick-Brady connection. They're kind of freaky.

I see where my post was confusing.   Belichick might have been slightly less successful without Brady (the key being slightly less),  while I believe Brady would have been a lot less successful.

A comparison to the Belichick system is the 49ers during the Bill Walsh era.    Yea, Seifert took over as coach but the 1989 SB win was with Walsh's team and the 1994 SB win was with Steve Young,  who Walsh drafted, and using the Walsh west-coast-offence.     The 81, 84 and 88 wins were under Walsh.      Ok,  Montana had a lot to do with those wins (like Brady did),  but I say the head coaches and front offices were more of the reason.

Also,  look at all the great Q.B. that never won a SB (Marino) or the ones,  like Elway,  who didn't win until very late in his career.

So my point was less about Belichick verses Brady and more about how a well run system with a great coach is more likely to lead to multiple SBs than having a great Q.B.

• laffite likes this

#4 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,694 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:45 PM

He has some notable failures as well in those instances when he stupidly goes for it. If he makes it they call him a genius, if he fails they say gosh how could someone that smart do something so stupid.

True, to some extent I suppose.

But, I still love his unconventional play-calling, as his success-to-failure rate is pretty darn hard to argue against, and especially considering his overall success in the sport itself.

(...oh and btw...I've also noticed that the success rate of his halftime strategy changes have seemed far greater than almost any other coach's ever too...and witnessed yet again by that unbelievable comeback victory in the last Super Bowl)

#5 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted Yesterday, 06:26 PM

He has some notable failures as well in those instances when he stupidly goes for it. If he makes it they call him a genius, if he fails they say gosh how could someone that smart do something so stupid.

#6 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,694 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:18 PM

I believe I've said this before around here, but I became a Belichick devote years ago and after noticing he was just about the only coach who seemed to have both the smarts and the guts to call the following plays:

His team might be just past midfield and its fourth and one, but Belichick doesn't punt, he goes for the first down and in almost all cases they succeed in getting a new series of downs, and with Brady being one of the best ever at the QB sneak or draw play.

Belichick's team has just gotten either eight or nine yards on first down, and then instead of calling for a running play on second down to secure a first down like almost all other coaches did and still do, he surprises the other team's defense and calls for a play-action pass and which would often gain a lot more yardage and sometimes even a touchdown than would just a short up the gut run.

#7 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted Yesterday, 05:33 PM

James, you say you don't agree with Dungy but then comment along the lines of what he said (which I agree with.) But I agree there is some sour grapes there (with Dungy). There is something unholy about the Belichick-Brady connection. They're kind of freaky.

#8 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,359 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted Yesterday, 04:33 PM

"I don't think Bill Belichick would be Bill Belichick without Tom Brady, and Brady would not have the same success without Belichick and the way they have put that team together," Dungy said.

I don't agree with Dungy here (looks like a copout statement to me); Belichick would have found other Q.Bs. and while the odds are none would have been as good and consistent as Brady,   to me the team's success is driven much more by Belichick than Brady. 

While Brady would have been a starter at another team \ another system (duh),    there have been no other teams (GMs \ coaches) that operate as effectively as Belichick.      Brady would likely have won a SB or even two,  but he wouldn't have close to the success he has had under the Belichick system.      Some say Aaron Rogers is an overall better Q.B. than Brady:  but even if one believes Brady is slightly better,  Rogers doesn't have close to the success of Brady,  but I believe he would IF he was the Q.B. for Belichick. 

(but yea, I'm a Brady hater,  so I'm bias!).   :lol:

#9 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,784 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted Yesterday, 03:44 PM

And they say cheaters never prosper.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#10 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted Yesterday, 01:48 PM

"I don't think Bill Belichick would be Bill Belichick without Tom Brady, and Brady would not have the same success without Belichick and the way they have put that team together," Dungy said.

http://www.cbssports...lichick-credit/

#11 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,286 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:12 PM

Z6xUOnRg_bigger.jpg MarketWatchVerified account @MarketWatch 6h6 hours ago

What Roger Federer can teach us about career longevity http://on.mktw.net/2vz9iak DFC-vJ3W0AErRPc.jpg

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

The principle for which we contend is bound to reassert itself, though it may be at another time and in another form.   Jefferson Davis

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur 

A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. The Immortal John Wayne

#12 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:50 PM

#13 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,286 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:49 PM

Z6xUOnRg_bigger.jpg MarketWatchVerified account @MarketWatch Jul 15

Death watch: How much longer can golf survive? http://www.marketwat...18?link=sfmw_twMW-FK557_garcia_20170417121124_ZH.jpg?uu

Make the game easier. Less expensive with much lowered green fees. Easier courses that are shorter. Innovate like make the cups bigger for easier putting and scoring to speed up game. Get younger players involved. More...

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

The principle for which we contend is bound to reassert itself, though it may be at another time and in another form.   Jefferson Davis

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur 

A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. The Immortal John Wayne

#14 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,286 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:44 PM

Z6xUOnRg_bigger.jpg MarketWatchVerified account @MarketWatch Jul 15

Here’s how many hours you have to work to afford a Major League Baseball game http://on.mktw.net/2v0M11C DEzl1nmUQAAD4Mp.jpg

Not bad...

#15 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,286 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

ZBEs235N_bigger.jpg

Reuters Top NewsVerified account @Reuters 36m36 minutes ago

Federer wins record eighth Wimbledon title http://www.reuters.c...m_medium=Social104476407-GettyImages-545195774.530x298.

#16 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,286 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:26 AM

kUuht00m_bigger.jpg Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump 11h11 hours ago The women played great today at the @USGA #USWomensOpen1f1fa-1f1f8.png I look forward to being there tomorrow for the final round!DE0zfmLXcAEbY1T.jpg

#17 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,286 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

VVlFBgx3_bigger.jpg Investors.comVerified account @IBDinvestors Jul 15

Baseball's Leo Durocher Managed To Overcome The Odds http://dlvr.it/PVl8RZ DEw-dQ3UAAAPQum.jpg

#18 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:25 AM

Saaay, btw Jake!

How 'bout them Dodgers, HUH?!

(...that L.A. team is lookin' mighty formidable right now, wouldn't ya say?!...best record in all of baseball, ya know)

The Dodgers are 28-4 since June 6. Beyond formidable. How about insuperable!

If Kershaw can win his next five decisions, he will have a lifetime winning percentage of .700.

The Yankees are 8-19 since June 12, when they were solidly in first place.

#19 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,694 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:03 AM

Saaay, btw Jake!

How 'bout them Dodgers, HUH?!

(...that L.A. team is lookin' mighty formidable right now, wouldn't ya say?!...best record in all of baseball, ya know)

#20 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,694 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:47 PM

Tell him 'em John and have a Bud on me...

Really, Jake?!

You think that guy needs an even BIGGER beer-gut than he already has NOW???

Oh sorry, I forgot. Down YOUR way Daly would probably be considered somewhat "svelte", huh...

obesity-by-county.jpg?w=240

(...never mind then)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users