We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

SPORTS

• Please log in to reply
2010 replies to this topic

#1981 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

Golf2.jpg

Golf1.jpg

Above, two famous holes on a famous course where a famous tournament is held every year. #12 (above) and #13 (top photo) at Augusta, GA. My favorite tournament. I don't play but I enjoy watching the tour, especially the Majors, and my fave, the Masters. I like to stream in HD and take a few caps. This was from 2013, as you can see a little rain. Fascinating course, with those hilly, lightning-fast greens. I love golf courses, so beautiful.

So why are all the British courses, especially the Scottish ones, so ugly?

#1982 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:56 PM

Golf2.jpg

Golf1.jpg

Above, two famous holes on a famous course where a famous tournament is held every year. #12 (above) and #13 (top photo) at Augusta, GA. My favorite tournament. I don't play but I enjoy watching the tour, especially the Majors, and my fave, the Masters. I like to stream in HD and take a few caps. This was from 2013, as you can see a little rain. Fascinating course, with those hilly, lightning-fast greens. I love golf courses, so beautiful.

#1983 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

I'm not a golfer but I sure am a Sands Hills fan and wanderer.  Any golfers here want an interesting place to play?  Go here and enjoy the solitude and quiet.

@RoverRocks

Thanks for a very enjoyable clip of golf. I walk and carry my clubs when allowed and
would love to play this course.

Again, thank you.

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

The principle for which we contend is bound to reassert itself, though it may be at another time and in another form.   Jefferson Davis

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur 

A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. The Immortal John Wayne

#1984 roverrocks

roverrocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationMontrose, Colorado

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

I'm not a golfer but I sure am a Sands Hills fan and wanderer.  Any golfers here want an interesting place to play?  Go here and enjoy the solitude and quiet.

!http://www.google.co...9,d.aWc&cad=rja!

#1985 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

Anyone remember the Cheers episode where they get Kevin McHale obsessing about counting the number of bolts on the parquet floor? I've been a Celtics fan since the last years of the Russell era. The greatest team in the history of pro sports (8 consecutive titles) and the greatest player in NBA history (Bill Russell, 11 championships in 13 years. 13 out of 15 if you count college)

In 5 out 0f 8 first-round NBA playoff series that began this weekend, the road team won the first game. First time there have been that many.

#1986 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

23155762_847700a705_z.jpg4345522566_9626afa9e7_z.jpg11325066405_47bbcfbcd7_z.jpg4791987439_3aa3a92a3e_z.jpg4791987431_3af250b625_o.jpg4791976251_68d34c7de4.jpg4791976237_71050e9e27_z.jpg7590388262_5a9614db47_o.jpg5009630596_009769c19a_z.jpg2368038311_d65d3b9502_z.jpg

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

The principle for which we contend is bound to reassert itself, though it may be at another time and in another form.   Jefferson Davis

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur 

A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. The Immortal John Wayne

#1987 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

Anyone remember the Cheers episode where they get Kevin McHale obsessing about counting the number of bolts on the parquet floor? I've been a Celtics fan since the last years of the Russell era. The greatest team in the history of pro sports (8 consecutive titles) and the greatest player in NBA history (Bill Russell, 11 championships in 13 years. 13 out of 15 if you count college)

You certainly have the statistics to back it up for basketball. Not professional, but in my book, almost impressive is John Wooten's UCLA Bruins 7 consecutive NCAA Championships with 10 in 12 years.

#1988 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,374 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

Yes,  Russell is the greatest player based on championships but I still say Kareem Jabbar is the best all around player the game has ever seen,  followed by the two MJs (Jordan and Magic).

#1989 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

That was a favorite of mine at the time. I miss that show.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0539926/

FdX2C0H.gif

#1990 mrroberts

mrroberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Locationpennsylvania

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:08 AM

#1991 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,695 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:35 PM

And, speaking of Kevin McHale... The impetus for the Breakaway Flagrant Foul Rule...

BIE2w2dCcAAuYcr.jpg

(...I remember that series like it was yesterday...and especially this play...and luckily, "Superman" wasn't hurt)

#1992 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

8281479890_fd36677a87_z.jpg9056352855_dbeb9c7b2d_z.jpg2197301083_99b60632cf_o.jpg8284885941_3b374a3904_o.jpg5144297265_9290af5558_z.jpg8290354040_44cbc5bb9f_z.jpg

#1993 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,374 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:34 AM

The Pistons actually lost to the Lakers in '88 because of Isiah Thomas' injured ankle in Game 6.

Wasn't it the next year where the Lakers lost both Magic and Scott, their backcourt by game 5 or so?

Injuries clearly impacted both teams in their contest.   For fans of both teams it would of been great if the two teams faced each other without injuries to key players like the Lakers and Celtics did.

#1994 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

Yes, I saw it and it was well done.    My hate for that team is what really made me a basketball fan again.  

The Lakers would have beat those bad boys if it wasn't for injury (ok,  that is a homer comment but I just had to say it!).

The Pistons actually lost to the Lakers in '88 because of Isiah Thomas' injured ankle in Game 6.

#1995 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,374 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

Did any of you see the ESPN 30-30 special on the Detroit PIstons' "Bad Boys" teams of the late '80s-early '90s? Very well-done. Don't miss it when it is re-run.

Yes, I saw it and it was well done.    My hate for that team is what really made me a basketball fan again.  

The Lakers would have beat those bad boys if it wasn't for injury (ok,  that is a homer comment but I just had to say it!).

#1996 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

Did any of you see the ESPN 30-30 special on the Detroit PIstons' "Bad Boys" teams of the late '80s-early '90s? Very well-done. Don't miss it when it is re-run.

#1997 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

"The Splendid Splinter" always reminded me of Robert Ryan, Jake.

(...though I'm pretty sure Ryan died way before all this here cryogenics stuff came about!)   ;)

Exactly. I fact, I think, I've equated Ryan and Williams on these boards.

#1998 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,695 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

"The Splendid Splinter" always reminded me of Robert Ryan, Jake.

(...though I'm pretty sure Ryan died way before all this here cryogenics stuff came about!)  ;)

#1999 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

5155705692_8e8f9b685f_z.jpg6810381926_ceebdc755a_z.jpg487343261_8dc74d767e.jpg4277060212_701c568320_o.jpg9686056755_959e8d4878_z.jpg8640352740_5818865118_z.jpg

#2000 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

Well they are sitting down and Grant is leaning back while Yogi is sitting right at the edge.  That would make Yogi look taller than he was.    Looks like a real picture taken when the two actors were making A Touch of Mink in 1961 \ 62.

Bingo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users