We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

SPORTS

• Please log in to reply
2125 replies to this topic

#1981 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

I have also been watching McEnroe play tennis in the last few months.   He does look like he is in real good shape for one of us 'older guys'!  

:wacko:

If you'll forgive the mention of it, I believe this is part of the "Seniors Tour" <ouch!>

FdX2C0H.gif

#1982 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

On the lighter side..

I'm watching the end of a Powershares Series tennis match with John McEnroe and Ivan Lendl. I was never a McEnroe fan, but Ivan Lendl made for some good tennis watching. Ivan really appears to be out of shape here with a slight paunch and excess upper body weight, along with a buzz cut. McEnroe has always appeared to be in tournament shape, even though (I believe) he's not up to full tournament speed.

(insert simian grunts)

I have also been watching McEnroe play tennis in the last few months.   He does look like he is in real good shape for one of us 'older guys'!  

#1983 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

On the lighter side..

I'm watching the end of a Powershares Series tennis match with John McEnroe and Ivan Lendl. I was never a McEnroe fan, but Ivan Lendl made for some good tennis watching. Ivan really appears to be out of shape here with a slight paunch and excess upper body weight, along with a buzz cut. McEnroe has always appeared to be in tournament shape, even though (I believe) he's not up to full tournament speed.

(insert simian grunts)

FdX2C0H.gif

#1984 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

THe U.S, goalie, in the Belgium game, set a World Cup record with 16 saves. I rest my case. 16 saves is NOTHING in an NHL game.

4 goals by Germany in less than 7 minutes, and I, who have watched very little soccer in my life, saw them all.

#1985 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

14584694163_a46823c9d6_z.jpg14538299436_16b9eec1e2_z.jpg14367383738_fec2a91f28_z.jpg14367293747_a1bbc78d2f_z.jpg14550156791_50e698d7a9_z.jpg14530899466_d0988a487e_z.jpg14366523540_6c1047ac6d_c.jpg
U.S. and Belgian players start the World Cup round of 16 soccer match between Belgium and the USA at the Arena Fonte Nova in Salvador, Brazil, Tuesday, July 1, 2014. (AP Photo/Themba Hadebe)

THe U.S, goalie, in the Belgium game, set a World Cup record with 16 saves. I rest my case. 16 saves is NOTHING in an NHL game.

#1986 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

14584694163_a46823c9d6_z.jpg14538299436_16b9eec1e2_z.jpg14367383738_fec2a91f28_z.jpg14367293747_a1bbc78d2f_z.jpg14550156791_50e698d7a9_z.jpg14530899466_d0988a487e_z.jpg14366523540_6c1047ac6d_c.jpg
U.S. and Belgian players start the World Cup round of 16 soccer match between Belgium and the USA at the Arena Fonte Nova in Salvador, Brazil, Tuesday, July 1, 2014. (AP Photo/Themba Hadebe)

Then the Lord descended in the Cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Numbers 12:5

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#1987 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,053 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

Harold Russell could have been a star soccwr player. Have there been any great international players who were amputees?

Yeah, actually a little known fact here is that Harold WAS a great soccer player, and in fact there was once a sports documentary film about his prowess on the soccer fields. Its title:

"The Best Games of My Life"

;)

#1988 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

Harold Russell could have been a star soccwr player. Have there been any great international players who were amputees?

The problem with hockey, at least on TV, is that it's hard to follow the puck. In soccer, at least you can follow the ball. Maybe they should increase the size of the puck so it's like a manhole cover.

#1989 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

I think James' point about "the lack of shots on goal" is a very salient one, finance. This I think IS the primary problem with soccer in my opinion. also.

Unlike Hockey, in which the final score can be close in total points as in soccer, a hockey goalie can need to stop over 30 shots on goals in a game, and whereas in soccer a goalie can sit on his behind for long periods of time and doesn't need to block nearly the amount of HARD shots at him as a hockey goalie must.

Add to this that soccer play is most often just a series of intercepted passes baaaaack and forth baaaaack and forth within the field of play, and YEAH, I can CERTAINLY see why you feel the way you do about this sport, and frankly, I AGREE with you!

(...isn't it wonderful that we live in a country which has a Constitution that I THINK states somewhere within it: "In order for sports to be played with the ENTIRE human body, the right to use one's HANDS while playing them will not be infringed."...uh-huh. THAT is what REALLY made our country GREAT, ya know!!!) ;)

#1990 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationThe Golden State

Posted 26 June 2014 - 02:13 AM

Can anyone provide a list of players who have died as a result of chewing tobacco?I knew there have been quite a few.

It's surely out there somewhere, waiting to be discovered.  It's all a little grim, so I'll pass on looking.  Probably too many players, though.

Bring the boy an eggnog.  Two eggs.

#1991 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,053 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

I think James' point about "the lack of shots on goal" is a very salient one, finance. This I think IS the primary problem with soccer in my opinion. also.

Unlike Hockey, in which the final score can be close in total points as in soccer, a hockey goalie can need to stop over 30 shots on goals in a game, and whereas in soccer a goalie can sit on his behind for long periods of time and doesn't need to block nearly the amount of HARD shots at him as a hockey goalie must.

Add to this that soccer play is most often just a series of intercepted passes baaaaack and forth baaaaack and forth within the field of play, and YEAH, I can CERTAINLY see why you feel the way you do about this sport, and frankly, I AGREE with you!

(...isn't it wonderful that we live in a country which has a Constitution that I THINK states somewhere within it: "In order for sports to be played with the ENTIRE human body, the right to use one's HANDS while playing them will not be infringed."...uh-huh. THAT is what REALLY made our country GREAT, ya know!!!) ;)

#1992 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

I am right and 300 million people are wrong. What's wrong with soccer is that because there is so little scoring, the results are not valid. What often happens is that the team that played the better game ends up losing. The very limited number of scores is not a large enough sample to determine who has dominated. A team can dominate action for 30 consecutive minutes, and no goals are scored by either team.

Incidenatally, after I did this post, I heard Colin Cowherd, who is one of the most astute sports commentators, say exactly the same thing I did. Only, for some reason it is a factor which makes him LIKE soccer, while, for me, it is a factor that makes me DISLIKE soccer.........Of all sports I believe that the one who plays the best most often wins is tennis.

#1993 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

I am right and 300 million people are wrong. What's wrong with soccer is that because there is so little scoring, the results are not valid. What often happens is that the team that played the better game ends up losing. The very limited number of scores is not a large enough sample to determine who has dominated. A team can dominate action for 30 consecutive minutes, and no goals are scored by either team.

This can occur in the major US sports as well,  but is more common in football since a team can score a lot of points in a very short period of time.   Therefore one team can play better and dominate 'between the lines' but only get a some field goals.    The 'poorer' team can get lucky and run back a kick off or recover a turnover or two and score 14 or more points in a few seconds.   

Hey, I'm no fan of soccer  (and I live with an Italian!),  but it isn't because of the lack of scorring.  It is because of the lack of shots on goal.    i.e. too much running around just to get to where one can take a shot.   

Anyhow I'm hoping the USA gets bounced.   Then I want to see how the TV rating stand after that.   (I assume most Americans really don't like watching the games but will cheer on their team regardless).

#1994 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

#1995 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

Thank you for posting this.  A remarkable player, and by all accounts, a wonderful man.

Can anyone provide a list of players who have died as a result of chewing tobacco?I knew there have been quite a few.

#1996 brickdavis

brickdavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:48 AM

Hey Jake just want to thank you for all the great baseball pics. About this thread, I was a little disappointed that hockey didn't get a mention yet. I am a die hard St. Louis Blues fan and once again had high expectations but it didn't happen. Surely someone watched the Stanley Cup as the Kings beat the Rangers in five games. If you have any hockey pics I would love to see'm.

#1997 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

I just discovered this sports topic on the TCM web site! Awesome, as an avid basketball and football fan, I don't have many people to talk sports with since the husband passed away a few years ago. I watch Mike & Mike a lot, too, and I love Around the Horn. I watch PTI even though sometimes Tony and Wilbon annoy me (yes, I watch a lot of the ESPN sports talk shows when I'm not watching TCM). Loved the photo of Tony Gwynn - best hitter since Ted Williams, no contest, and might have hit .400 if they hadn't had that stupid strike. Loved that the Spurs beat the Heat (Spurs my #2 basketball team after the Bulls). It shows a team can beat "the best player." The Spurs are a class act and should have won last year but I really enjoyed watching them out-work and beat the Heat in every category this year. This was a great finals. Sportswise, now I'll watch a little baseball and soccer until football starts and hope springs eternal.

#1998 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationThe Golden State

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:35 AM

Thank you for posting this.  A remarkable player, and by all accounts, a wonderful man.

Bring the boy an eggnog.  Two eggs.

#1999 GoodGuysWearBlack

GoodGuysWearBlack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

Was it Bob Murphy or Ralph Kiner who couldn't prounce the name Placido Polanco correctly? It always came out sounding like "pla-cee-doh po-lank-oh".

s5kdaq.jpg

#2000 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

0728_large.jpg
http://sports.yahoo....-152648977.html

RIP
  • TheGayDivorcee and ChristineHoard like this

Then the Lord descended in the Cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Numbers 12:5

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ChristineHoard