We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

SPORTS

• Please log in to reply
2010 replies to this topic

#21 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,695 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:47 PM

Tell him 'em John and have a Bud on me...

Really, Jake?!

You think that guy needs an even BIGGER beer-gut than he already has NOW???

Oh sorry, I forgot. Down YOUR way Daly would probably be considered somewhat "svelte", huh...

obesity-by-county.jpg?w=240

(...never mind then)

#22 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:38 PM

GvJ6yAr1_bigger.jpg The Daily CallerVerified account @DailyCaller 1h1 hour ago

John Daly Hits Hits Back At Sports Writer Who Criticized His White House Visit http://trib.al/UhO3Egs DE01KFLXUAA0WF-.jpg

Tell 'em John and have a Bud on me...

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

The principle for which we contend is bound to reassert itself, though it may be at another time and in another form.   Jefferson Davis

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur 

A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. The Immortal John Wayne

#23 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:30 PM

The Yankees beat the Red Sox in 16 innings 4 - 1. Tough schedule ahead for the Yankees so this win was big...set the tone going forward...

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

The principle for which we contend is bound to reassert itself, though it may be at another time and in another form.   Jefferson Davis

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur 

A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. The Immortal John Wayne

#24 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:27 PM

4fgNVF4H_bigger.jpg BloombergVerified account @business 13h13 hours ago

Why grass court tennis is the best way to play the game http://trib.al/bIcBTII DEyUytmUQAE9BLX.jpg

#25 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:25 PM

4fgNVF4H_bigger.jpg BloombergVerified account @business 12h12 hours ago

Garbine Muguruza powers her way to her first title at Wimbledon, beating Venus Williams http://trib.al/6toUsXF DEyg5kMV0AAVHwT.jpg

Beginning of the end for the Williams sisters?...

#26 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:19 PM

4fgNVF4H_bigger.jpg BloombergVerified account @business 11h11 hours ago

Roger Federer eyes his 8th Wimbledon title http://trib.al/KZyX45e DEyyorOXkAAI3Gq.jpg

#27 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:30 PM

GvJ6yAr1_bigger.jpg The Daily CallerVerified account @DailyCaller 4h4 hours ago

The Bad Lip Reading Video For McGregor Vs. Mayweather Has Arrived http://trib.al/bHrKtjr DEutj2jUAAAc82Z.jpg

Mayweather needs this fight to pay off the IRS. McGregor is no match for him.

#28 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:01 PM

GvJ6yAr1_bigger.jpg The Daily CallerVerified account @DailyCaller 6h6 hours ago

Man Responsible For Murdering Dogs To Be Recognized For Football Accomplishments http://trib.al/moM5hKh DEh73UsXYAIefEe.jpg

I'm close to forgetting the NFL.

#29 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,374 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:28 PM

Joey Chestnut won the Nathan's 4th of July Hot Dog Contest with 72 dogs - a new Nathan's record.  Does this qualify as a sport?  It's on ESPN.

:)

Well Sports Illustrated had an article on these Hot Dog Contests a few weeks back.     But in my view competitive eating isn't a sport.  

#30 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:03 PM

Joey Chestnut won the Nathan's 4th of July Hot Dog Contest with 72 dogs - a new Nathan's record.  Does this qualify as a sport?  It's on ESPN.

:)

#31 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

VoyTQWrD_bigger.jpg U.S. Open (USGA)Verified account @usopengolf 1h1 hour ago

We started Round 3 with a four-way tie at the top. How will it end? #USOpen scoring: http://spr.ly/60168mLwi DCiHgm2VoAAGmhh.jpg

>>> https://twitter.com/usopengolf

#32 midwestan

midwestan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:12 AM

Well, Golden State is up 3-0 now, and Kevin Durant looks like a good bet to be MVP of the Finals.  Warriors just have too many weapons for Cleveland to contend with.

Pittsburgh powered past Nashville to take a 3-2 lead in the Stanley Cup.  Penguins either kicked 2 field goals or got a TD and missed the extra point--what a rout.  It's quite possible the NBA Finals could be over before ​this year's Stanley Cup winner is determined.  I wonder if that's ever happened before (or if it has, the last time it happened).

USA soccer scores a 2-0 home win over Trinidad & Tobago to get its World Cup qualification back on track.  Wonderboy Christian Pulisic (won't turn 19 until September) scored both goals.  Off to Mexico for a big game on Sunday.  In the final phase of qualification for next year's tournament in Russia, Mexico is in 1st.  Costa Rica 2nd.  USA 3rd.  Top 3 automatically advance.  4th place team (currently Panama), will get a playoff with a team from Asia for a spot in the 2018 field.

College World Series super regionals begin.  Most of the remaining 16 schools are from heavyweight conferences (Big 12--1, SEC--6, ACC--3, Pac 12--1).  Two teams left are from the Big West Conference (Long Beach State and Fullerton State).  There are three teams left that aren't exactly household names in college baseball circles, so it will be interesting to see how they fare (Davidson, Sam Houston State, Missouri State).

And, the French Open finals will be held this weekend.  Pulling for Stan Wawrinka to win on the men's side, but he's in a dogfight with Andy Murray in one of the men's semifinals.

#33 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,374 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:56 AM

Still sayin' this, Jake?

Game Two summary in a nutshell...

The game was pretty much over when LeBron stopped driving to the hoop in the third period and like he did in the first half which kept the Cavs in the game and then started shooting from the outside. And, basically because he got tired, as it takes much less energy to chuck up three point attempts than it does to drive to the hoop every time you get the ball.

AND, Durant seems more motivated AND is playing much more under control AND smarter than I've ever seen him play in the past.

(...and so I'm sayin' Warriors in six...guess we'll see, huh)

I can't see the Cavs winning a game but with the home crowd they should be able to pull off one or two.   

Yea, Durant really is playing great.    Game 2 was a game the Cavs could have won, with all the Warriors turnovers and just sloppy play.    The Warriors don't need to do all of that fancy passing and behind the back dripping and other crap.  Just play a 'clean' game and the Cavs are toast.   They just don't have the firepower and their beach is old. 

The only chance the Cavs have is if Irving really gets hot (and he can),  so LeBron doesn't have to use so much energy until the critical last 2 minutes.  Love has been playing better than I expected so there is SOME hope for Cav fans.  

#34 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts
  • LocationThe Golden State

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:35 AM

Still sayin' this, Jake?

The game was pretty much over when LeBron stopped driving to the hoop in the third period and like he did in the first half which kept the Cavs in the game and then started shooting from the outside. And, basically because he got tired, as it takes much less energy to chuck up three point attempts than it does to drive to the hoop every time you get the ball.

AND, Durant seems more motivated AND is playing much more under control AND smarter than I've ever seen him play in the past.

I'm with you, GSW in six.  Very exciting!  And now Coach Kerr is back, or so we hope.

It's a hard world for little things.

#35 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,695 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:14 PM

Cleveland in six.

Still sayin' this, Jake?

• TheGayDivorcee likes this

#36 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:04 PM

Class Act.

#37 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:02 PM

t2Tdz6RR_bigger.jpg
Sporting News‏Verified account @sportingnews 4h4 hours ago
A Hater's Guide to the NBA Finals: How to choose your side in Cavs vs. Warriors III. http://www.sportingn...1rv8y5gslvi9s …pic.twitter.com/QjvHk8Ioyi
DBMK6BxXYAEmGet.jpg
Cleveland in six.

#38 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:00 PM

t2Tdz6RR_bigger.jpg

Sporting NewsVerified account @sportingnews 3h3 hours ago

DBMOJi1WsAArBvz.jpg

#39 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:50 PM

GrPXNmam_bigger.jpg

Sports IllustratedVerified account @SInow 3h3 hours ago

'The Cavs and Warriors are both good teams. This is true no matter who wins the Finals.' And other lukewarm takes: http://on.si.com/2qBHVi2 pic.twitter.com/raaMaf1utL

DBMS0R4XsAAZVbQ.jpg

#40 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:48 PM

Ou_VuHAq_bigger.jpg

ESPNVerified account @espn 31m31 minutes ago

Our experts have made their Finals predictions. It's Golden State in a landslide: http://es.pn/2qD52oa pic.twitter.com/JPuumA6KsM

DBM4k7LXkAExJ7j.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users