We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

SPORTS

• Please log in to reply
2125 replies to this topic

#21 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,687 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:40 AM

oMudjbQO_bigger.jpg Miami HeraldVerified account @MiamiHerald 11m11 minutes ago

Replying to @MiamiHerald @AP

Legendary boxer ‘Raging Bull’ Jake LaMotta dies at 95, reports say. http://hrld.us/2ypGlQF DKLWqqEW0AAKXPO.jpg

Then the Lord descended in the Cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Numbers 12:5

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#22 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,687 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

UcpfGkHu_bigger.jpg CafeNetAmerica @cafenetamerica 16m16 minutes ago

Sports Business Journal: ESPN Insiders Worried That the Network Isn’t ‘Serving Sports Fans’ http://dlvr.it/Pp47tZ  #tcot #lnyhbtDKGjbg4VwAAkz3Y.jpg

Then the Lord descended in the Cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Numbers 12:5

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#23 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,687 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:29 PM

The Daily Caller Retweeted

Check Out The College Football Coaches Poll After Week Three http://dlvr.it/Pnnk3F DKAkecAUMAADx69.jpg

John Wayne

#24 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,687 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:05 PM

The Daily Caller Retweeted

The Amount Of Chargers Fans At Inaugural Los Angeles Game Is Pathetic http://dlvr.it/PntgkV  #ChargersNFL_2017_LAChargers_v2.png #LAC #NFLDKCdUM5VYAA4jbV.jpg

John Wayne

#25 midwestan

midwestan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:46 AM

I hit the hay when USC was driving for what looked like a clinching touchdown against Texas (Trojans were up 14-10 with 6 minutes to go in the game).  Naturally, I was stunned to see the final score today.  I was also surprised to see Stanford had lost at San Diego State.  Even though it was just a 3-point setback, it was small consolation for the Cardinal, thanks to opening this season with 3 road games.

Penn State and Wisconsin seem to be on a collision course for the Big 10 title game.  Ohio State and Michigan are good, but not dominant...yet.  Penn State hasn't played a road/neutral game yet.  Iowa and Minnesota are unbeaten too, but that might not be saying much.  Maryland was idle, but the Terrapins have looked very good in the early going.  Jury is still out on Michigan State and Purdue.

UCLA threw away all its good vibes with a loss at Memphis Saturday.  Could Utah and maybe Colorado provide tests for USC in the Pac-12 South?  Resurgent Oregon looks to challenge Washington, Washington State, Stanford, and possibly California (Golden Bears are unbeaten) in the North?

SEC East looks to be pretty competitive.  Tennessee is trying to find a way to get Peyton Manning just one more year of eligibility...maybe then they could hang a loss on Florida?  Nah, I don't think Manning ever beat the Gators when he wore a Vols uniform either.  Could Vanderbilt be a sleeper?  Commodores got a good win against Kansas State.  It won't matter in the end though.  Alabama looks like it will run roughshod over the West Division, despite Mississippi State's surprisingly easy win over LSU in Starkville.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are currently tearing it up in the Big 12, but TCU is lurking, along with competitive teams like West Virginia, Kansas State, Texas Tech, and possibly Texas?

Clemson and Virginia Tech have asserted themselves as teams to watch in the ACC.  Not sure what to expect from Florida State or Miami since they've had their schedules messed up due to Hurricane Irma (and Lee and Maria hanging just off the eastern Caribbean).

Toledo and Ohio might duke it out in the MAC, but Northern Illinois posted the best non-conference win of the year for the league, thanks to a stout defensive effort at Nebraska Saturday.

Boise State and San Diego State look like odds-on-favorites for the Mountain West title.  The West Division is very weak, compared to the Mountain Division.  UNLV and Nevada have both lost to FCS teams (Howard and Idaho State, respectively).

South Florida is the best 'Group of 5' candidate to gain much attention so far.  But, Central Florida and perhaps Houston, also in the AAC, could play themselves into consideration for national honors.

#26 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,053 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:50 AM

GvJ6yAr1_bigger.jpg The Daily Caller‏Verified account @DailyCaller 8h8 hours ago

Hookstead’s College Football Game Of The Week: Clemson Vs. Louisville http://trib.al/eBEyK9B 

Turns out the REAL College Football Game Of The Week was played at the L.A. Coliseum instead, and with USC squeaking out a 27-24 win in the 2nd OT against a surprisingly tough and inspired performance by the Texas Longhorns.

(...couldn't believe that walk-on SC kicker made those last two FGs...would've bet against it)

#27 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,687 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

GvJ6yAr1_bigger.jpg The Daily CallerVerified account @DailyCaller 8h8 hours ago

Hookstead’s College Football Game Of The Week: Clemson Vs. Louisville http://trib.al/eBEyK9B DJ1ZjUvWAAAYPiX.jpg

John Wayne

#28 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,687 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:49 PM

528494acf0c1851c1b922f1c53a190c6_bigger.

MLB STANDINGS > https://sports.yahoo.../mlb/standings/

John Wayne

#29 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,687 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Lel2i4gM_bigger.jpg

College Football @CollegeFootball Sep 14

On your mark, get set, go! ACC, SEC races get going in Week 3 http://bit.ly/2h4y0xx  #CFB

John Wayne

#30 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,687 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:02 AM

A9jkuYbh_bigger.jpg SB Nation CFB @SBNationCFB 1h1 hour ago

Brian Kelly was (understandably) not pleased after the loss last night. GA 20 ND 19I7AYwQ5xIQb6wJg4.jpg

SB NATION > https://www.sbnation...conference-2017

John Wayne

#31 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,687 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

zFdLhwbT_bigger.jpg Bleacher ReportVerified account @BleacherReport 14h14 hours ago

No. 3 Clemson racks up ELEVEN sacks in 14-6 win over No. 13 Auburn DJVB87XUQAAFl5h.jpg

John Wayne

#32 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,687 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:00 AM

zFdLhwbT_bigger.jpg Bleacher ReportVerified account @BleacherReport 13h13 hours ago

Let Baker cook. Mayfield goes off for 386 yards and 3 TDs in No. 5 Oklahoma’s 31-16 win over No. 2 Ohio StateDJVPP56UIAAximt.jpg

John Wayne

#33 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,687 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

zFdLhwbT_bigger.jpg Bleacher ReportVerified account @BleacherReport 12h12 hours ago

Sam Darnold (21/26, 316 yards, 4TDs) returns to Heisman form No. 6 USC gets the 42-24 win over No. 14 StanfordDJVYHY9UMAAV12N.jpg

John Wayne

#34 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

Looks like the NFL front office goofed yet again in the Ezekiel Elliott case.

Judge Mazzant ruled that Elliott didn't receive a fundamentally fair hearing before the arbitrator.

Note that the NFL Players Associated defended Elliott in the case.

This is what happens when an employer decides they should become the justice system by being the investigators (instead of the local police),   the prosecutor (instead of the local DA),  the judge and jury (instead of one's peers).

Note that the DA decided to NOT press charges due to conflicting statements from the accuser and general lack of evidence.

Of course that doesn't mean Elliott didn't harm her and he does have a poor track record but I still can't support an employer taking over the duties that should be left to the our system of justice for off the field behavior.  

#35 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,053 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 09 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

...which Serena does not do. The WTA probably wants to leave her alone. It would be an incredible scandal and do much damage to WTA to find Serena suddenly not qualified after her incredible career. And yet, physique-wise, she seems more like a man than a woman. And look at her hands. The relative length of her fingers match a man's fingers. The ring finger of a man is decidedly longer than his forefinger. With women, the ring finger and forefinger are much closer to the same length with the forefinger sometimes being longer. Serena's fingers match the male profile. I'm not necessarily convinced that Serena was born a man but the possibility is not farfetched and the subject is interesting.

OH MY GOD!!!

I just checked my own hands here, and evidently I'm a woman and never knew it!

And here I always thought the deciding factor about this was that thing down there dangling between my legs?!!!

(...of course then again I suppose this COULD also explain why I've always been so damn cute)

#36 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 September 2017 - 11:15 AM

...which Serena does not do. The WTA probably wants to leave her alone. It would be an incredible scandal and do much damage to WTA to find Serena suddenly not qualified after her incredible career. And yet, physique-wise, she seems more like a man than a woman. And look at her hands. The relative length of her fingers match a man's fingers. The ring finger of a man is decidedly longer than his forefinger. With women, the ring finger and forefinger are much closer to the same length with the forefinger sometimes being longer. Serena's fingers match the male profile. I'm not necessarily convinced that Serena was born a man but the possibility is not farfetched and the subject is interesting.

I firmly believe Serena is a women,  especially since she is about to have a baby,  but the question still remains what is the process used to determine someone should have a hormone test.   (Unlike drug testing, where everyone is subject to some type of annual or random testing).  

E.g. does another player have to file a complain?:  "hey, WTA,  Suzy looks kind of manly to me,   test her".    That could lead to all sorts of harassment.   

After the N.C. bathroom bill incidence the WNBA announced they were open to all.   Yea, open to all.   So I'm waiting for some aging NBA players to try to join to test if they really are.   (they are NOT because that would ruin the league so to me this was the WNBA being way to PC).

As far as politically: based on blogs the most heated debates are between liberals.   Social liberals like myself that support transgender individuals being allowed to play,  as long as their hormone levels are within the 'women-range' are being labeled transphobic by people I define as extremist;   those that believe that if someone declares they are a women,  they should be allowed to complete,  period, saying that testing on its face is undignified and therefore those that support testing are closeted bigots.  (and these 'extremist' are very nasty individuals to anyone that even questions there POV).

#37 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 09 September 2017 - 02:19 AM

Thanks;   I just found the WTA Gender Participation Policy and it uses the same "testosterone levels < 10 nanomoles" criteria.

What is vague is who is subject  to testing and under what conditions.   There is a specific Transgender policy but it appears to kick-in only when one identities themselves as transgender.

#38 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:36 PM

James, that's rather a fine post, thanks.

Thanks;   I just found the WTA Gender Participation Policy and it uses the same "testosterone levels < 10 nanomoles" criteria.

What is vague is who is subject  to testing and under what conditions.   There is a specific Transgender policy but it appears to kick-in only when one identities themselves as transgender.

#39 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

James, that's rather a fine post, thanks.

#40 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:01 PM

Some of the same people who believe Michelle is a man are saying that Serena was born a man.

I did a little research and US Women sport leagues \ associations appear to NOT test if a women is actually a women.   Note that the Olympics performs a hormone test:

From Wikipedia:  "Transgender athletes who identified themselves as female, would be allowed to compete in that category as long as their testosterone levels were below 10 nanomoles per liter for at least 12 months prior to the competition."

The Olympics has clearly stated that the test is NOT designed to determine gender but instead who is allowed to compete,  similar to any drug testing.     Therefore it doesn't matter what gender one is born with as long as one as testosterone levels < 10 nanomoles.  The justification for checking testosterone levels is because studies have shown a relation to athletic performance.    

For Women's tennis the same type of hormone testing\verification is now done.    Back in 1976 the WTA did prevent Renné Richards from joining,  but she sued and won.    At the time WTA used chromosomes verification which is designed to determine at-birth gender and NOT current gender. 

If drug testing is done to ensure a 'level playing field' then shouldn't all women sport leagues verity testosterone levels? 

• laffite likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

ChristineHoard