We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

SPORTS

• Please log in to reply
2010 replies to this topic

#41 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:31 PM

GrPXNmam_bigger.jpg

Sports IllustratedVerified account @SInow 1h1 hour ago

WATCH: Dash cam video of Tiger Woods' DUI arrest has been released http://on.si.com/2qCsWnO 

DBMq17gXUAUHPBi.jpg

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

The principle for which we contend is bound to reassert itself, though it may be at another time and in another form.   Jefferson Davis

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur 

A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. The Immortal John Wayne

#42 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:53 AM

_eB9ptir_bigger.jpg

TheWrapVerified account @TheWrap 8h8 hours ago

Denver Post Fires @Tfrei, Writer Who Was 'Very Uncomfortable' With Japanese #Indy500 Winner https://goo.gl/NFYCcL pic.twitter.com/P5GCiU7JP8

DBBmx3cUMAAaJHd.jpg

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

The principle for which we contend is bound to reassert itself, though it may be at another time and in another form.   Jefferson Davis

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur 

A man's got to have a code, a creed to live by, no matter his job. The Immortal John Wayne

#43 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:24 AM

40EA963A00000578-4552628-Tiger_Woods_was

BREAKING NEWS: Tiger Woods is arrested for 3am DUI in Florida

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz4iUANrvXx

#44 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:05 AM

#45 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:58 AM

pdiU1XpF_bigger.jpg

MLBVerified account @MLB 21h21 hours ago

We mourn the passing of Jim Bunning, a Hall of Fame pitcher and former U.S. Senator. He was 85.pic.twitter.com/NVTdhQuYmr

DA2f0myXUAAcci0.jpg

#46 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

aVi94sUc_bigger.jpg

PhilliesVerified account @Phillies 20h20 hours ago

Honoring a great pitcher and an even better man. We'll miss you, Jim.pic.twitter.com/IDcCNQHfwM

DA2thIzXgAM0VI6.jpg

#47 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,693 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:16 AM

Whaddaya mean by callin' Berman an "original" there, midwesty?!

Hell, the dude's ripped off SO many catchphrases, such as "He...could...go...all...the...way" from TRUE "originals" like Howard Cosell, shamelessly quotes famous movie lines at every turn AND offers up more and even WORSE puns than I DO around here, that to call THAT obnoxiously loud gravel-voiced guy an "original" degrades the use of that word, wouldn't ya say?! ;)

(...yeah, yeah, I knew what ya really meant here, dude...just couldn't resist this mention of how I've noticed he's seemed to have worn out his welcome on my TV set over these many years)

I feel for the man, having lost his wife. But he is just terrible on the air. I've been waiting for him to cough up a furball for years.

I'm a big boy.

#48 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:23 AM

GvJ6yAr1_bigger.jpg

The Daily CallerVerified account @DailyCaller 2m2 minutes ago

ESPN’s ‘Mike & Mike’ Canceled After 17 Years On Air http://trib.al/oPzS4SY 

DAHKjitVoAAFPei.jpg

#49 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:26 AM

inm00S9s_bigger.jpg

Washington ExaminerVerified account @dcexaminer 3h3 hours ago

ESPN yanks convicted cop killer's poem from website http://washex.am/2puO8u9  by @BecketAdams

C-k7bX2XUAEFQeG.jpg

#50 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,695 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:59 PM

I heard about this on the Dan Patrick Show today.  He said ESPN over-extended itself with paying a lot of money for securing rights to broadcast events (I'm guessing MLB, NFL, and NBA games, but I could be wrong).  The only name I heard him mention was Ed Werder who covers the Cowboys for the NFL Gameday as well as the Dallas Morning News.  It will be interesting to see who else might get the ax.  I don't watch SportsCenter so much, but I do enjoy their college and pro football games they cover, plus college basketball.  Around The Horn and Pardon The Interruption can be entertaining, and I enjoy Outside The Lines and Sports Reporters.  Bob Ley and Chris Berman are the only two originals left at the network.  I can remember when ESPN used to show informercials in the overnight hours to fill in its broadcasting schedule.

Whaddaya mean by callin' Berman an "original" there, midwesty?!

Hell, the dude's ripped off SO many catchphrases, such as "He...could...go...all...the...way" from TRUE "originals" like Howard Cosell, shamelessly quotes famous movie lines at every turn AND offers up more and even WORSE puns than I DO around here, that to call THAT obnoxiously loud gravel-voiced guy an "original" degrades the use of that word, wouldn't ya say?! ;)

(...yeah, yeah, I knew what ya really meant here, dude...just couldn't resist this mention of how I've noticed he's seemed to have worn out his welcome on my TV set over these many years)

• midwestan likes this

#51 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

The only liberal thing about ESPN is the amount of money they've overspent to televise live sporting events.

• midwestan likes this

#52 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

inm00S9s_bigger.jpg

Washington ExaminerVerified account @dcexaminer 1h1 hour ago

Sure looks like ESPN's political commentary has chased away right-leaning audiences: report http://washex.am/2oSBcLG  by @BecketAdams

C-gOZfUXgAAn4Or.jpg

#53 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

inm00S9s_bigger.jpg

Washington ExaminerVerified account @dcexaminer 2h2 hours ago

I didn't quit ESPN because of its preachy politics, but it makes me glad I did http://washex.am/2qiGHnk  by @freddoso

C-bKh3GWAAUWP4g.jpg

#54 midwestan

midwestan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

y5hoyCLr_bigger.jpeg

FOX411‏Verified account @Fox411 2h2 hours ago

@espn to lay off about 100 employees TODAY including on-air talent http://fxn.ws/2oLBwMi  #ESPNLayoffs

C-V2JtbVwAA9GzV.jpg

I heard about this on the Dan Patrick Show today.  He said ESPN over-extended itself with paying a lot of money for securing rights to broadcast events (I'm guessing MLB, NFL, and NBA games, but I could be wrong).  The only name I heard him mention was Ed Werder who covers the Cowboys for the NFL Gameday as well as the Dallas Morning News.  It will be interesting to see who else might get the ax.  I don't watch SportsCenter so much, but I do enjoy their college and pro football games they cover, plus college basketball.  Around The Horn and Pardon The Interruption can be entertaining, and I enjoy Outside The Lines and Sports Reporters.  Bob Ley and Chris Berman are the only two originals left at the network.  I can remember when ESPN used to show informercials in the overnight hours to fill in its broadcasting schedule.

#55 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,693 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:51 AM

y5hoyCLr_bigger.jpeg

FOX411Verified account @Fox411 2h2 hours ago

@espn to lay off about 100 employees TODAY including on-air talent http://fxn.ws/2oLBwMi  #ESPNLayoffs

This is a shock. I didn't know ESPN had on-air talent. The network has become a joke.

I'm a big boy.

#56 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:39 AM

y5hoyCLr_bigger.jpeg

FOX411Verified account @Fox411 2h2 hours ago

C-V2JtbVwAA9GzV.jpg

#57 midwestan

midwestan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:54 AM

The NFL draft is now swallowing up and choking off my whole neighborhood. They are taking over every square inch of space all the way up and down the Parkway. More so than with the Pope's recent visit.

American sports fans know their priorities, right? :D

As for the previous discussion about which major golf tournament is the most prestigious, I agree the PGA would rank 4th.  However, like the Masters, the U.S. Open, and the British Open, it does attract a world-wide field of quality players, and thus, a world-wide audience.  Maybe it's popularity and importance among fans is somewhat diminished because it's last in the pecking order of the majors that are played.  It's normally held in August when adults are perhaps looking forward to football season or getting their kids ready for a new school year. Make no mistake, if you ask most of the pros on camera, they'll state which tournament they'd love to win most.  Privately though, they'd take any major tournament win, especially if it's the only one they ever achieve in their career.  The major tournaments are full of guys who only won once in their careers, but it's something they'll always cherish (Larry Mize, Steve Elkington, Y.E. Yang, Ben Curtis, Lucas Glover, Todd Hamilton, Bob Tway, Mike Weir are just a few of the one-time, unexpected major champions).  Some of these guys are still on tour too, so who's to say they can't break through a second time?

#58 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

The NFL draft is now swallowing up and choking off my whole neighborhood. They are taking over every square inch of space all the way up and down the Parkway. More so than with the Pope's recent visit.

#59 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:36 PM

Believe most pro golfers would say the U.S. Open is the one they'd like to win the most. Arnold Palmer & Tom Watson never won the PGA Championship.

I believe most European golfers would most want to win the British.

#60 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:06 AM

A common argument is, which major has the most prestige. The PGA is the only one that clearly is not. The British is the oldest. The U.S. Open is the most difficult. The Masters has the legendary course and the green Jacket

Believe most pro golfers would say the U.S. Open is the one they'd like to win the most. Arnold Palmer & Tom Watson never won the PGA Championship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users