We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

SPORTS

• Please log in to reply
2125 replies to this topic

#41 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:54 AM

Some of the same people who believe Michelle is a man are saying that Serena was born a man.

#42 midwestan

midwestan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:38 PM

PBS Newshour had a nice piece tonight on the state of American tennis, and how the USTA (United States Tennis Association) has been trying to nurture and support up and coming talent.  The fruits of its labor is certainly evident in the women's game.  A couple of years ago, many couldn't see any progress past Venus and Serena Williams.  The future looked relatively bleak.

But, 4 Americans have made it to the U.S. Open women's semifinals (Venus Williams, Sloane Stephens, Coco Vandeweghe, and Madison Keys)---first time that's happened in New York since 1981.  For the men, it's been a much harder climb.  Andy Roddick was the last American man to win a Grand Slam event (U.S. Open in 2003).  However, there could be light at the end of the tunnel.  There are a few men under 25 that are getting their feet wet on the pro tour circuit, and they had decent showings at Flushing Meadows.  Maybe within a couple of years, these guys will be able to make more noise at major tournaments.

#43 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,401 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:26 PM

Fox Sports shows a Braves game every Sunday. Now that the

dumb mofos are totally out of it, I don't even mind if they win. 

The announcers are already starting to talk about next year.

Can't blame 'em.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#44 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,401 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

I don't believe Kaepernick was ever indicted on a murder charge

like brother Ray. I guess that puts him one up on Mister Lewis.

• midwestan likes this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#45 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,689 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:39 AM

QqX7ED73_bigger.png The Daily WireVerified account @realDailyWire 7m7 minutes ago

Ray Lewis Says Ravens Were About To Sign Kaepernick Before His Girlfriend Sent This Racist Tweet http://dld.bz/gdCRv  @AmandaPrestoDJIoIQ6XYAEfQvo.jpg

Then the Lord descended in the Cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Numbers 12:5

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#46 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,689 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:22 AM

GvJ6yAr1_bigger.jpg The Daily CallerVerified account @DailyCaller 2h2 hours ago

How Do You Like Them Apples? — Red Sox’ Discovered New Way To Steal Signs http://trib.al/05lcDOV DJIQrIUVAAAj4P0.jpg

Then the Lord descended in the Cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Numbers 12:5

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#47 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,689 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:44 AM

GvJ6yAr1_bigger.jpg The Daily CallerVerified account @DailyCaller 4h4 hours ago

Check Out The Week Two AP College Football Rankings http://trib.al/flZ55wv DJCoUbGXoAEcPae.jpg

John Wayne

#48 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,689 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:43 AM

.@dhookstead: Turns Out I Was Correct About The Superiority Of Big Ten Football http://trib.al/YUpNz99 DJCrsgYW0AIin02.jpg

John Wayne

#49 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,689 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

Wall Street Journal Reveals The Most Admirable Team In College Football http://trib.al/Tq4qbu9 DJCtU5RUQAAB8Xs.jpg

John Wayne

#50 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,084 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:21 AM

Well, hey.....

The Tigers traded J.D. MARTINEZ, one of our best players, to the DB's recently, so they're in good shape there.

And idiot GM Avila sent Justin Upton to the Angels and traded off ace pitcher Verlander to Houston.  So their 13-2 win over Kansas City last night was a pleasant surprise.  But for now, I don't see that happening that often for the rest of the season.  And V-MART(Victor Martinez) on the DL doesn't help either.

This time of year I'm psyching up for HOCKEY SEASON anyway, so I'm not that upset.  But now that it looks like Andreas Anthanasiou will head to the KHL it looks a bit dicey there too.

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#51 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:06 AM

Now that the Dodgers are no good anymore, it's interesting to note that if the DB's can sweep the D's they will only be 10 games out. Let's hope we can witness the greatest collapse in MLB history. I'm looking forward to Dave Roberts sulking just before he gets fired. I'm looking forward to the D to lose the rest of their games.

Two down and one to go. The Dodgers are practicing for the playoffs, but hey Dave, you only have to lose three in a row, not five or six or whatever it is. I think you got it already.

BTW, The Dodgers have hired a shrink for a beleaguered pitching staff. They spend so much time on the bench they've forgotten what they're supposed to do. They are all suffering from clinical depression. It's so long between outings they have developed bench sores but they have been given occupational therapy and are weaving baskets and making billfolds and of course ash trays and stuff. When their turn finally comes up---every six weeks or so---they seem befuddled. One of them forgot what hand to throw with and had to look himself up on the Internet to see if he was a right hander or a left hander. Mr Roberts is acquiring more pitchers so that he can create a 12-man rotation for the purpose of giving Kershaw more rest even though Kershaw is on the trading block at the end of the season because he can't pitch in the playoffs. Some of the other pitchers are being taught to read. It's really getting bad. Others just wander restlessly around the clubhouse day after day wondering what their profession is. Did you see the look on Davy's face when Turner threw the ball away in the 10th in this latest fiasco. Hey Dave, pitch Kershaw every four days and your problems will be over. Yeah, I know, you'd have seizures if you did that. Putz.

#52 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:23 PM

Now that the Dodgers are no good anymore, it's interesting to note that if the DB's can sweep the D's they will only be 10 games out. Let's hope we can witness the greatest collapse in MLB history. I'm looking forward to Dave Roberts sulking just before he gets fired. I'm looking forward to the D to lose the rest of their games.

#53 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 September 2017 - 02:28 PM

Now that the Dodgers have lost five in a row, I will now (promise) close the book on the Great Dodger Run of 2017. They went 56-11 and I submit that this is the highest winning percentage for any 67 consecutive games by any team in MLB history.

The current losing streak is refreshing. I’m hoping this bodes ill for the playoffs. They only must lose three in a row then.

:)

The ace is back,  the losing streak over and the Dodgers are on their way to the World Series.    I will not let your negativity bring me down.   :lol:

I have to admit I'm now watching the Angels and the AL wild-card race and not the Dodgers.    Angel Stadium is much closer to my home than Dodger Stadium.    I hope they get that wild-card but I don't see them making it very far in the playoffs.    

#54 midwestan

midwestan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

According to CBS Sports, these are the 5 pivotal games in college football this weekend:

Alabama vs. Florida State

Michigan vs. Florida

West Virginia vs. Virginia Tech

UCLA vs. Texas A & M

LSU vs. Brigham Young

First 4 games are good matchups.  Not sure about Tigers vs. Cougars.  The only advantage for BYU is the fact that they've already played a game, and this is LSU's season opener.  BYU only beat what's expected to be a so-so Portland State team, 20-6 last week in Provo.

Frankly, college football has become a bit stale.  Same old teams winning the same old games.  After an early struggle, Wisconsin racked up 59 straight points in its win against Utah State.  Ohio State blasted Indiana Thursday night after trailing much of the first half.  Colorado State, no matter how good the Rams are, still can't beat Colorado for trying.  Best finish so far was Friday night's 23-20 win for Boston College over Northern Illinois.  NIU missed a 34-yard field goal in the last :25 of the game that could have forced overtime.  The kick was long enough, but the left upright got in the way!

According to Nielsen numbers, ESPN's Thursday night broadcast of the OSU-IU game was the network's highest rated Thursday night college football opener.  There were more than 5 million viewers over all platforms, with a peak of 6.5 million when Indiana took a surprising 14-13 halftime lead.

• ChristineHoard likes this

#55 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,689 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:48 AM

SB Nation Retweeted

WHO YA GOT 6 reasons Alabama-Florida State is the biggest college football opener ever https://www.sbnation...-preview-openerkatzthing2.1504306437.png

John Wayne

#56 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,689 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:46 AM

Pinned Tweet

1f6a8.pngCOLLEGE FOOTBALL BACK 1f6a8.png 130 big team previews, interviews, dozens of articles, and more 2b07.pngSB NATION > https://www.sbnation...fb-preview-2017

John Wayne

#57 midwestan

midwestan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:08 AM

Now that the Dodgers have lost five in a row, I will now (promise) close the book on the Great Dodger Run of 2017. They went 56-11 and I submit that this is the highest winning percentage for any 67 consecutive games by any team in MLB history.

The current losing streak is refreshing. I’m hoping this bodes ill for the playoffs. They only must lose three in a row then.

The Astros have now acquired Justin Verlander from the Tigers, which puts Houston in the conversation as a possible World Series winner this year.  The Dodgers, Astros, and Nationals have been dominating their respective divisions since the end of May.  The Cubs and Indians, last year's World Series foes, were a little slow in taking control of their divisions this year, but I wouldn't count them out of the equation to make it back to baseball's penultimate series.  The Red Sox currently lead the AL East, but the Yankees are lurking as a potential Wild Card spoiler.  The Rockies and Diamondbacks still maintain Wild Card spots in the NL.

#58 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:30 AM

#59 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,689 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:02 AM

GvJ6yAr1_bigger.jpg The Daily CallerVerified account @DailyCaller 36m36 minutes ago

.@RonaldHart On ESPN: 'Since Drifting To The Left, The Struggling Sports Quasi-Monopoly Has Lost 10 Million Viewers' http://trib.al/MNcy7me DIkIQ-yXkAAbLee.jpg

John Wayne

#60 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,689 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

The Daily Caller Retweeted

John Wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users