We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Robert Wise

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:27 AM

Wise's body of work is remarkable, and his films so finely crafted and entertaining, yet he's always given short shrift, even by TCM, for the usual suspects.

#2 mrroberts

mrroberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Locationpennsylvania

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:00 PM

I have seen Robert Osborne make repeated comments about Howard Hawks and the wide range of films that he directed. I thought RO might have made some comment about Wise and Hawks being of similar standing. Not to say one was better than the other , just how both did such a variety of work and always did  well.

• johnm001 likes this

#3 ValentineXavier

ValentineXavier

I got myself into a situation here that I can't get out of.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:48 PM

Wise did indeed direct many genres, very skillfully, including my favorite film noir western, Blood on the Moon, and a couple of excellent war pics, The Desert Rats, and Run Silent, Run Deep.

"Those who would give up essential liberty
to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty, nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971 

#4 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:25 PM

Robert Wise, for me, is the greatest director who ever lived.  He directed more great films in more genres, than any other person.  At least to my tastes, anyway.  He did all these great films without a signature look or feel.  Just good taste.  If only he had directed even more films that could have used his skill.

• TopBilled likes this

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,900 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

Was a little disappointed in the intro to the Haunting last night. Yes, Wise directed West Side Story and Sound of Music, by Ms. Barrymore intimated that those two movies were the genre he worked in. Not true at all. He also did the Sand Pebbles, Curse of the Cat People, The Day the Earth Stood Still, I want to Live, The Andromeda Strain, and many others. What I have always admired about Wise is how he could move between genres and make iconic movies in each genre. That didn't come out at all.

Right.  She probably didn't finish her homework-- and as a result, her knowledge of the director and his work is limited (or at least it seems that way).  She is mentioning his most famous titles, the ones everyone already knows about.  

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#6 Ashet

Ashet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:56 AM

Was a little disappointed in the intro to the Haunting last night. Yes, Wise directed West Side Story and Sound of Music, by Ms. Barrymore intimated that those two movies were the genre he worked in. Not true at all. He also did the Sand Pebbles, Curse of the Cat People, The Day the Earth Stood Still, I want to Live, The Andromeda Strain, and many others. What I have always admired about Wise is how he could move between genres and make iconic movies in each genre. That didn't come out at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users