We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

84 CHARING CROSS ROAD (1987)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:15 PM

Well both of us have said the TCM tends to ignore stars that made their entry into the industry in the 50s.   But hey,  Newman got his due so it is time to feature some of these later studio-era actors.

Notice I am not complaining how many times Greta Garbo and Greer Garson (whom I like) have been honored. I am just trying to be proactive and suggest that Anne Bancroft deserves a turn. :)

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,505 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:56 PM

I'm surprised Anne Bancroft has not been chosen as a Star of the Month. So many great performances worth honoring. Especially the one in 84 CHARING CROSS ROAD.

Well both of us have said the TCM tends to ignore stars that made their entry into the industry in the 50s.   But hey,  Newman got his due so it is time to feature some of these later studio-era actors.

• rayban likes this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:40 AM

I agree with you, TopBilled.

I'm surprised Anne Bancroft has not been chosen as a Star of the Month. So many great performances worth honoring. Especially the one in 84 CHARING CROSS ROAD.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-02-27%2Bat%2B8.39.5

• MCannady1 and rayban like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,311 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:41 PM

I agree with you, TopBilled.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:01 PM

Wish TCM would air this one again...

#6 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:59 AM

A fellow film buff loaned me this DVD and I enjoyed it very much. Goes to show not every movie has to be a blockbuster to be a good movie.

• TopBilled likes this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:42 PM

Sort of like THE REMAINS OF THE DAY, in that we have Anthony Hopkins in a non-physical relationship with a woman he shares intimate thoughts with...this is a great film.  Anne Bancroft is simply wonderful.  So glad TCM aired it tonight.

• roverrocks likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users