We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

From around the galaxy

• Please log in to reply
3662 replies to this topic

#1 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:27 AM

Actual scanning electron microscope images - could inspire a CGI movie.

da0cb6ab7fe2a9e2be7dcbdb35812471--aquati

1328d7adb908882887fdaf5195168f08--scanni

ccd4cf2eecc40bc597c262584e811352--max-pl

095070a191f724e9b53a251509c2cd63--monste

• MovieCollectorOH likes this

#2 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,807 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

Thought the Gnomeo and Juliet be something novel.  They were expensive for lawn decorations.

As for the movie, really like it. Got a good laugh out of the Terrafirminator ad....perfect one liner Your lawn will be afraid to grow! :lol: 

Heh.

Yeah, I remember saying to my wife that I'd LOVE one of those if it did that.  I get TIRED of mowing it all the time.  ;)

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#3 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:56 AM

Well, I've had good fruitcake and the kind Lafitte mentions.  It's been years since I've had a good homemade one and I refuse  to partake of any store-bought ones that DO always seem to be cluttered with those large chunks of colored glass they pawn off as the "fruit" in fruitcake.

And incidentally......

I don't "decorate" my front lawn with gnomes, Flamingoes, or anything beyond  decorative flora.  Maybe(at one time) a small concrete statue of the Madonna (in concesion to the Mrs.).

But, my BACKYARD has a lot of that concrete statuary adorning it.  ;)

Sepiatone

Thought the Gnomeo and Juliet be something novel.  They were expensive for lawn decorations.

As for the movie, really like it. Got a good laugh out of the Terrafirminator ad....perfect one liner Your lawn will be afraid to grow! :lol: 

#4 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,807 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:39 AM

Well, I've had good fruitcake and the kind Lafitte mentions.  It's been years since I've had a good homemade one and I refuse  to partake of any store-bought ones that DO always seem to be cluttered with those large chunks of colored glass they pawn off as the "fruit" in fruitcake.

And incidentally......

I don't "decorate" my front lawn with gnomes, Flamingoes, or anything beyond  decorative flora.  Maybe(at one time) a small concrete statue of the Madonna (in concesion to the Mrs.).

But, my BACKYARD has a lot of that concrete statuary adorning it.  ;)

Sepiatone

#5 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:25 AM

These are gracing my front lawn.  More durable than the characters in the movie "Gnomeo and Juliet"  (2011)

gnomeo-juliet-gnome-statues-set-of-2-27.

#6 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:15 AM

I can't stand the icky over-sweet candied fruit particles and it's that quality that makes it unappealing for me. It sounds like you may have solved that problem though it's quite an investment in time and patience.

And money-it costs $15-20 to make each one, just for the ingredients. And it's not my resolution, it's an authentic recipe. It was those "candied fruit particles" that appealed to "modern" women in the 50's that ruined fruitcake for generations.

Next is haggis....only kidding.

• film lover 293 likes this

#7 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:16 PM

Not surprising. Fruitcakes have a shelf life of about one million years.

I am a fruitcake baker with more requests than I can fulfill at holiday time.

A true classic fruitcake is made by pre-soaking real dried fruits (I use blueberries/apricots/cranberries, not those icky extruded "bits") in your favorite booze (I like bourbon) before adding to the batter.

Once it's baked, the loaves receive a daily spritz it with the booze for about a week's time until it's absorbed. The entire loaf is now preserved (or pickled!) to safely eat for well over a year.

My fruitcakes are delicious and make a warm, fantastic treat while watching a movie over the long cold winter.

Gotta admit, you make it sound good.

I can't stand the icky over-sweet candied fruit particles and it's that quality that makes it unappealing for me. It sounds like you may have solved that problem though it's quite an investment in time and patience.

I wish you would send me one at Christmas time, if it would hold that long. It sounds so fresh and authentic it probably doesn't have a geologic shelf life, ha.

;)

Your last line there made me think of hot cider. That might go well with it.  I wonder what movie I would choose. I think Radio Days might be on the short list.

The little things in life are great, aren't they!.

#8 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,924 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:02 AM

Not surprising. Fruitcakes have a shelf life of about one million years.

I am a fruitcake baker with more requests than I can fulfill at holiday time.

A true classic fruitcake is made by pre-soaking real dried fruits (I use blueberries/apricots/cranberries, not those icky extruded "bits") in your favorite booze (I like bourbon) before adding to the batter.

Once it's baked, the loaves receive a daily spritz it with the booze for about a week's time until it's absorbed. The entire loaf is now preserved (or pickled!) to safely eat for well over a year.

My fruitcakes are delicious and make a warm, fantastic treat while watching a movie over the long cold winter.

• Princess of Tap likes this

#9 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,070 posts
  • LocationThe Phantom Zone

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

Would a Homer statue have been too "patriarchal"?  I don't really watch that show, but I like Homer a bit more.

Some people have been redressing existing statues as Homer Simpson. Perhaps this is an alternative solution to the Confederate statuary? Robert E. Lee as Homer? Stonewall Jackson with Mickey Mouse ears? 

wpid-article-1262607547996-07c0e89200000

• film lover 293 likes this

#10 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts
  • LocationLand of Bread and Circuses

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:45 AM

bart-simpson.jpg

Would a Homer statue have been too "patriarchal"?  I don't really watch that show, but I like Homer a bit more.

Moviecollector's Corner                                                                                               Principia-Scientific.org (independent science news)

#11 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:39 AM

Popular cartoon/comic book character, eh?

Maybe here, we could put up a huge statue of ARCHIE or BART SIMPSON.  ;)

Sepiatone

bart-simpson.jpg

#12 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,807 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

Popular cartoon/comic book character, eh?

Maybe here, we could put up a huge statue of ARCHIE or BART SIMPSON.  ;)

Sepiatone

#13 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,070 posts
  • LocationThe Phantom Zone

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:28 PM

Giant Gundam statue in Japan (it's a popular cartoon/comic book series)

giphy.gif

source.gif

#14 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:44 PM

lenin-vader.0.0.png

#15 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,924 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:54 PM

Total Solar Eclipse 2017: When, Where and How to See It (Safely)
 |   

August 16, 2017 07:16pm ET

https://www.space.co...2017-guide.html

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#16 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:34 PM

The sad and sinificant thing about those developed old rolls of film(and it interested me due to also being a photographer) was that we'll never really know where all these images were shot and who some of the individuals were.  But we do have more images of what was from an actual soldier's point of view and not made by a professional correspondent photographer assigned to capturing images that the folks back home will only be allowed  to see.

Sepiatone

I recently saw a two-part BBC TV production entitled Shooting the Past (1999) starring Lindsey Duncan and Timothy Spall. It deals with a vast collection of old photos that may be destroyed and of which attempts are being made to save. There's a lot of these photos that are given us to look at and watching this video was a reminder. The purpose of STP in my view is to attract anyone who has even an iota of fascination for an old photo in general and especially who have a near "fetish" for it. It's terrific background that is as appealing in itself as the story (which is not bad). Anyone who finds the video here interesting ought to seek out Shooting the Past. It's available on Netflix.

#17 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,542 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

The reason the film lasted so long is because of the older safety process. If only silents were made of this. :(

The film was just found and people may come forward with information since some areas should be recognizable.

8:43 into the clip appears to be cliffs along the Normandy coast.

cliffs-of-etretat-with-the-famous-pointe

When I was a student in college I Spent My Summers studying French in Paris and they would send us on these tours of the provinces.

The White Cliffs of the Alabaster Coast in upper Normandy are between Dieppe and Etretat. They look very much like the White Cliffs of Dover, but I think the ones in England looked bigger to me.

But at first, I thought that's what they were; however, they are from the same geological system.

I went also to see the Normandy burial fields for American Service men who weren't as lucky as my father and didn't survive the Normandy Invasion.

They seemed to go on forever.

#18 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:45 PM

The sad and sinificant thing about those developed old rolls of film(and it interested me due to also being a photographer) was that we'll never really know where all these images were shot and who some of the individuals were.  But we do have more images of what was from an actual soldier's point of view and not made by a professional correspondent photographer assigned to capturing images that the folks back home will only be allowed  to see.

Sepiatone

The reason the film lasted so long is because of the older safety stock.  If only silents were made of this. :(

The film was just found and people may come forward with information since some areas should be recognizable.

8:43 into the clip appears to be cliffs along the Normandy coast.

cliffs-of-etretat-with-the-famous-pointe

• laffite and MovieCollectorOH like this

#19 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,961 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:39 PM

I forked this one off the the "Stupid Science" thread and put it here, because there is nothing pseudo-scientific or stupid about this.

A 100-Year-Old Fruitcake Was Found 'Perfectly Preserved' in Antarctica

It's well known Antarctica's climate is not needed - fruitcake is ever lasting. :P

I had one lost in the mail back in the '70s, still waiting for delivery.

food-drink-archeologist-archaeologist-fr

#20 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,807 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:48 PM

Sepiatone

• MovieCollectorOH and film lover 293 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users