We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

From around the galaxy

• Please log in to reply
3568 replies to this topic

#21 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,226 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:28 PM

Found this on the interwebs..Poetic justice at it's most hilarious moment...Loony Clooney gets his wish!! lololol 

http://donaldtrumpne...ted-front-yard/

I didn't see anywhere in that "article" (from Donaldtrumpnews. co, no less, the #1 choice in quality journalism) where Clooney has a problem with the refugees being there.

"The truth is, most of the people fleeing their homelands and heading for Europe have not experienced tragedies, but are instead looking for the nanny states of Europe to take care of them. They are not choosing to stay home and improve their own countries. And when they reach their desired destinations, most will not assimilate into the cultures that welcome them"

Just more right-wing HS.

And please try to keep political BS out of this thread, if for no other reason than to honor Kid Dabb, who started it, and who preferred the political crap be kept elsewhere. 

#22 JR33928

JR33928

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

Found this on the interwebs..Poetic justice at it's most hilarious moment...Loony Clooney gets his wish!! lololol :P

http://donaldtrumpne...ted-front-yard/

#23 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:38 PM

We forget things closer to home the Hubble Space Telescope can zoom in on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

225113main_full_jpg_full.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYbwuqU6rUo

• LawrenceA likes this

#24 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:14 PM

Nixie displays were used before the introduction of LED's during the  1950's - 70's...

IM202_S00_glow.JPG

....they have made a modern comeback...

51WaNmwJ0XL._SX355_.jpg

bl-100-48-syl-tu5.jpg

....creating one is considered an art form. :)

#25 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:24 PM

And you will be assimilated!!!

1346602892-0.jpg

#26 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 06:33 PM

Two reboots planned to haunt  and bug theatres.

http://movieweb.com/...rs-with-reboot/

http://www.rollingst...-reboot-w448520

#27 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

Here's a really cool map...It's called THE NUKEMAP.....Lottsa fun!! :)

Click on the link at the bottom,then follow the 4 simple instructions on the right side of yer screen.

Yer given different options to choose from,ie; airburst/surface/casualties/radioactive fallout..etc.

To find the effects my area might suffer,i chose Miami as my write-in target,chose airburst @ 50Mt.,then clicked "DETONATE"

The map shows the immediate affects outward from the point of detonation,ie;Radiation radius,Fireball radius,Airblast radius@20PSI,Airblast radius@5PSI and Thermal radiation radius (3rd degree burns)

Happy to report i'm outside the worst effects radius,but other ills not covered by the map will occur quickly,ie; the map doesn't include the effects of a nuclear meltdown which would undoubtedly occur at the Turkey Point NPS....IOW I ain't outta the woods on this one!!!  :o

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

I'm not worried, if they did, be wasting a good nuke.  But as my luck goes, some unbalanced despot might drop this on my house just for laughs.

1026089742.jpg

• LawrenceA likes this

#28 JR33928

JR33928

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:50 PM

JR, I'm not sure where in Florida you are, but two other major tactical targets would be Tampa and Jacksonville, with their military presence. I'm going to check and see how I'd fare if Jax was hit.

I didn't choose Tampa even tho CentCom is headquartered there because it's a lot further from me than Miami.

'Course the CentCom area would probably be hit with multiple warheads...would make more of a diff.for you than me cuz the prevailing winds would take fallout away from my area,but push it more towards your area in West Central/NW Florida.

I live directly across the state from Miami...~90 miles.I don't think Miami will be hit with multiple nuclear strikes,only one,but the prevailing winds will most likely bring fallout my way.

#29 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,226 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:39 PM

JR, I'm not sure where in Florida you are, but two other major tactical targets would be Tampa and Jacksonville, with their military presence. I'm going to check and see how I'd fare if Jax was hit.

Edit: I chose the Chinese nuke. If wind conditions were in the right/wrong direction, my area would be well within the max casualties fallout area. Good times!

#30 JR33928

JR33928

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

Here's a really cool map...It's called THE NUKEMAP.....Lottsa fun!! :)

Click on the link at the bottom,then follow the 4 simple instructions on the right side of yer screen.

Yer given different options to choose from,ie; airburst/surface/casualties/radioactive fallout..etc.

To find the effects my area might suffer,i chose Miami as my write-in target,chose airburst @ 50Mt.,then clicked "DETONATE"

The map shows the immediate affects outward from the point of detonation,ie;Radiation radius,Fireball radius,Airblast radius@20PSI,Airblast radius@5PSI and Thermal radiation radius (3rd degree burns)

Happy to report i'm outside the worst effects radius,but other ills not covered by the map will occur quickly,ie; the map doesn't include the effects of a nuclear meltdown which would undoubtedly occur at the Turkey Point NPS....IOW I ain't outta the woods on this one!!!  :o

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

• LawrenceA likes this

#31 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • LocationLand of Bread and Circuses

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:48 PM

With a good tight door seal, microwave ovens are safe.  The tiny holes in the door shield won't allow the 2.45 GHZ frequency to pass.  I have a detector, only need to check around the door once in a while. Neat it requires no batteries. Any RF is converted to DC, moving the meter.

Only in the interest of being pedantic, I thought I'd mention that a "good seal" in this case would just need to be metal in close proximity to metal.  I'm going to say, as it relates to the RF energy, allowances will at least need to be less than 1/4 wavelength apart (and then some to spare for the seal), like the size of the holes in the screen.

P.S. Using an online RF Frequency to Wavelength calculator and then a unit converter, I get a wavelength of about 4.8".  So 1/4 wavelength would be about 1.2" (the size of the wavelength at any given point).  I'm guessing the much smaller holes are to account for harmonics.

So if all that is correct, you would need to have your microwave door open at least 1.2" in order to let the full wrath of it out into your room.

#32 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:24 PM

I'm just guessing that as many people in America use microwave ovens as cell phones.

Since you guys seem to be authorities on this issue- - are microwave ovens safe?

I only use them for popcorn and frozen pizzas, so I'm not too personally concerned, but I was just curious.

With a good tight door seal, microwave ovens are safe.  The tiny holes in the door shield won't allow the 2.45 GHZ frequency to pass.  I have a detector, only need to check around the door once in a while. Neat it requires no batteries. Any RF is converted to DC, moving the meter.

micronta_microwave_leakage_detector_1018

Basic microwave layout.

microwave_works.jpg

• Princess of Tap likes this

#33 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:46 PM

I have always used a certain amount of caution when using my microwave which i use ~4 min each day.

I always stand well away from it,usually off to one side 6-7ft away.I figure that's far enough.

My assumption is that standing in front of the oven,even 6ft away,probably gives a greater chance for microwave radiation via the space between the door and door frame than being off to one side.I hope my assumption is correct.

When i lived in N.California in the 1970's there were some microwave towers near me.

I used to hear stories of how birds would sometimes be cooked due to flying too close to the towers.

Don't know if those stories were BS or not...but i never forgot them.

Hard to tell without actually measuring it.  As long as the door still closes squarely you should be fine.  Have a look at the size of the holes in the mesh screen on the front window.  Any openings wider than that might be a problem.  The door on mine looks to be designed with some extra overlap, as in it looks like it might be intended to make it a bit safer if I am in front of it.

P.S. it sounds like you are fine and doing the right things.  I meant hard to tell whether it emits any more or less radiation in front or to the sides, without measuring it.  If you're that far away then that difference is going to be negligible.

#34 JR33928

JR33928

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:06 PM

Stray radio energy follows the Inverse Square Law, which basically states that energy drops a certain amount with each doubling of distance.  In free-field typically -6dB with each doubling of distance.  That means it drops exponentially as you move away from it.  So you don't need to be real far from it, but basically don't lean up against the microwave oven when it is on.

I have always used a certain amount of caution when using my microwave which i use ~4 min each day.

I always stand well away from it,usually off to one side 6-7ft away.I figure that's far enough.

My assumption is that standing in front of the oven,even 6ft away,probably gives a greater chance for microwave radiation via the space between the door and door frame than being off to one side.I hope my assumption is correct.

When i lived in N.California in the 1970's there were some microwave towers near me.

I used to hear stories of how birds would sometimes be cooked due to flying too close to the towers.

Don't know if those stories were BS or not...but i never forgot them.

#35 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:34 PM

Ghosts and spectra: The invisible world of WiFi signal bombardment
Have you ever wondered what the electromangetic fields (EMFs) that surround virtually every person carrying a mobile device with WiFi or data capability look like?
Well, look at these baffling images by visual artist Luis Hernan from DIGITAL ETHERAL. Colorful but terrifying!

If we could see them, would it make us think twice about how often we are using them?
Luis Hernan was able to depict what WiFi actually looks like in his work entitled Digital Ethereal using an Android app and long exposure photography giving back an amazing glimpse into the movement of the WiFI signals that follow us around virtually everywhere.
http://strangesounds...t-pictures.html

wifi-6.png

This means if one is haunted, don't call Ghostbusters, just toss that thing out!

0fe46365101cdda1466efcc5efbc1f34.jpg

So assuming there isn't a wild amount of "artistic merit" there, how much of that is caused by the cell phone, and how much by the person carrying it?  Where is the cell phone?  I should see a hot spot where the cell phone is.  Unless that is a time-lapsed picture of someone spinning a cell phone (or rather just a pendant with some color-changing LEDs) round and round with a cordless drill.

#36 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:09 PM

According to this article from "Safespace" there are a lot more problems associated with microwave ovens than i thought..yikes!!

https://www.safespac...e-oven-dangers/

I knew the really old microwaves leaked like a sieve,but i thought newer ones were much safer....wrong!!

The only saving grace i can think of is that microwave ovens aren't in constant use,they aren't spewing possibly life threatening radiation 24/7 like cellphones do.

Stray radio energy follows the Inverse Square Law, which basically states that energy drops a certain amount with each doubling of distance.  In free-field typically -6dB with each doubling of distance.  That means it drops exponentially as you move away from it.  So you don't need to be real far from it, but basically don't lean up against the microwave oven when it is on.

• film lover 293 likes this

#37 JR33928

JR33928

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:54 PM

I'm just guessing that as many people in America use microwave ovens as cell phones.

.....are microwave ovens safe?

According to this article from "Safespace" there are a lot more problems associated with microwave ovens than i thought..yikes!!

https://www.safespac...e-oven-dangers/

I knew the really old microwaves leaked like a sieve,but i thought newer ones were much safer....wrong!!

The only saving grace i can think of is that microwave ovens aren't in constant use,they aren't spewing possibly life threatening radiation 24/7 like cellphones do.

• Princess of Tap likes this

#38 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:23 PM

Since you guys seem to be authorities on this issue- - are microwave ovens safe?

I only use them for popcorn and frozen pizzas, so I'm not too personally concerned, but I was just curious.

#39 JR33928

JR33928

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:49 PM

Given the hundreds of studies that have been carried out on this question, clearly there is no doubt that cell phone radiation can alter the genetic material of your cells. This is significant because one way cancer and other diseases are believed to develop is when the DNA in a cell becomes damaged.

Cell phones (EMF radiation) is also suspected of causing male infertility....IOW carrying those cellphones around in yer pants ain't cool dude!! eek eek eek  :o 

http://www.webmd.com...-male-fertility

#40 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:40 PM

Bin hearing for Years about just how harmful it can be to be constantly exposed to EMF radiation for long periods of time.

Probably started over the controversy about radiation from high tension powerlines and how ppl living near them claim to suffer from cancer and other maladies they attribute to EMF exposure.

Dunno if constant exposure to EMF radiation actually causes cancer or not,i'm no expert,but am suspicious enough to never have bought into the cellphone craze...still use a landline.It has no EMF radiation and as an added benefit,it doesn't rat my movements out to the NSA.No Wi-fi in the home either...laptop,tv and Blu Ray player are all hard wired.

Do Cellphones Cause Cancer?: Understanding Cell Phone Radiation and Cancer.

https://thetruthabou...diation-cancer/

Shielding products and What the experts are saying about the risks of EMR

https://www.bioelect...609waAgwy8P8HAQ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users