We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

From around the galaxy

• Please log in to reply
3496 replies to this topic

#21 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:58 PM

20 Incredible Inventions That We Have Completely Lost

Here are 20 amazing inventions, conceived by the greatest minds in history, that we have completely lost.

#17. Apollo and Gemini Space Program Technology

1db710e6-aad0-4a2c-b6eb-f5e04662c281.jpg

Incredibly, much of the technology developed by NASA that led to the first moon landing (and a stunning victory over the Soviet Union in the space race) has been lost! The reason for this is that since the projects undertaken in the name of extraterrestrial supremacy were so intense, they also happened to be rather disorganized.

NASA technicians are trying to recover the information that led to the breakthroughs by working backwards to see how their predecessors achieved success. This is impossible thanks to independent contractors that NASA employs to work on various parts of the reverse engineering project separately from the main team.

[I don't know if it's just me, but that last sentence didn't seem to make much sense.]

• LawrenceA likes this

#22 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:55 PM

March 14....National Pi Day.

http://www.piday.org/

Life would be meaningless if one didn't observe this day... :P

National-Pi-Day.jpg

...lets not forget poor Einstein.

Happy Birthday!

That would be "irrational".

#23 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:53 AM

March 14....National Pi Day.

http://www.piday.org/

Life would be meaningless if one didn't observe this day... :P

National-Pi-Day.jpg

...lets not forget poor Einstein.

aacddf51-7e33-498c-84f1-ef4e19f89bde.jpe

Happy Birthday!

small-pie.jpg

#24 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:11 PM

They are still used but not as much, some TO-3's are housed internally.

Crown Macrotech 5002VZ

The Macrotech is probably about a 25 year old design though, could even be older than that.  That was originally the MA5000VZ, the largest standard amp in that series.  That line was discontinued about ten years ago or maybe a few years more.  Its replacement was the Crown Itech line, which was one of the first big production amps with a DSP front end on it.

There was also a 3-phase amplifier in limited production (a 3-phase power connector!), the MA10000, which was installed as a distributed amplifier in large places like baseball stadiums.  Distributed systems have an impedance-matching transformer located at every speaker, and thus the wiring caries a high voltage and can technically afford to be cheap and very long runs.  You see distributed systems all the time in large public places like office buildings and shopping areas too.

These were all designed and produced prior to Crown's audio division being acquired by Harmon International (an audio conglomerate founded by Sidney Harmon of Harmon-Kardon).  Prior to that, Crown was also producing close cousins to that amp, shaker table power supplies, which are used in factories and assembly lines.  To this day I think they are still producing such gear.

Anyhow I haven't seen those TO-3 packages in use as often in newer products lately.  My guess is it is likely cheaper to use a larger amount of TO-220 packages instead.  An EE who is more up to date would probably know better, but just consider that more parts increases failure rate.  Especially if they are made to lower thermal tolerance standards (I would imagine a TO-3 can dissipate more power than a handful of TO-220s - though I wouldn't know that part).  What I have heard though is how when one package fails in an array like that, it can take out other packages.  Not that a TO-3 failure wouldn't do the same thing though.

Crap.  Looks like another one bites the dust.  Power One, a company which built nice open-frame power supplies with TO-3s, was recently bought out by someone else.  I used to spec their supplies quite often on updates and rebuilds.  Hopefully they don't hack off all the good parts.

http://www.mouser.com/powerone/

Double crap.  On November 14, 2016, Harman entered into an agreement to be acquired by South Korean company Samsung Electronics.[4][5] On March 10, 2017, the company became a subsidiary.[6]

https://en.wikipedia...onal_Industries

Okay I think I'm just going to stop before I start to get depressed over this.

#25 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

@ hamradio

Nice TO-3 output devices.  Now large amps mostly just have TO-220 cases.  This includes the big professional equipment.  What ever went wrong with using TO-3 devices.  Why are they on the endangered species list.

They are still used but not as much, some TO-3's are housed internally.

Crown Macrotech 5002VZ

p1070194y.jpg

You can find TO-3's on high current power supplies.

$_10.JPG?set_id=880000500F

$_10.JPG?set_id=880000500F

#26 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

Back when I used live sound systems, I preferred to use just the parametric EQs (PEQ) on the input channels of the mixer.  I almost always bypassed any graphic EQs (GEQ) if it wasn't my system.  I always found PEQ to be much easier to get right, as I used my ears more than my eyes. 

[One band of PEQ consists of an amplitude knob and a sweepable frequency knob - centered around one octave or one octave wide.  Some also have a sweepable bandwidth or "Q" knob - to make it wider or narrower than 1 octave - though that third knob can actually create more problems in the real world than solve.  An average mixing desk has two different bands of PEQ as well as high and low shelving (what most call "bass" and "treble") on each input channel.]

Having said that...

I don't actually want or have a GEQ at home.  If I had anything, it would have to be a stand-alone PEQ that I could set up with my equipment at home.

@ hamradio

Nice TO-3 output devices.  Now large amps mostly just have TO-220 cases.  This includes the big professional equipment.  What ever went wrong with using TO-3 devices.  Why are they on the endangered species list.

#27 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,418 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

I haven't used an EQ for several years.  I had a TEAC one, new in 1987, but the right channel kept kicking out on it.  I use it as a "risr" for my VHS/DVD combo now, since the frame of the glass door of my entertainment center blocked the signal from the remote and I keep the device on that section's lower shelf.

The freeway ramps still worked after that power killing wind?  Was it that bad too in Ohio?  See my "Glad To Be Back" thread.  I had NO idea freeway ramps in Ohio ran on electricity!  ;)

Lotta traffic lights were out until they hooked many of them up to generators.  I'm surprised nobody tookboltcutters to them and STOLE them!

Sepiatone

• MovieCollectorOH likes this

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#28 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:20 AM

My main amplifier, Realistic STA-2200.  Built like a battleship and weighs as much.

They don't make them like this any more. :(

Front

sta-2200front.jpg

Rear

660449-realistic_sta2200_mos_fet_power_d

Cover removed

STA-2200_2.jpg

Powered up

maxresdefault.jpg

DSC02051.JPG

• Sepiatone likes this

#29 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:16 AM

I see you have a lot of audio equalizers.  I still use one with my stereo, the modern 5+ channels don't allow hookups with them.  Since I'm mostly a headphone user, an equalizer is a must.

417273-realistic_equalizer_near_mint.jpg

417287-realistic_equalizer_near_mint.jpg

#30 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:05 AM

Windy weather shut down a lot of power this past few days.  ATMs still up and running though and freeway entrances still work.  Fortunately I was able to get my video recording equipment back up and running after the ordeal.

wall-of-crap.jpg

• hamradio and LawrenceA like this

#31 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:29 PM

Gone with the wind.

#32 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:06 AM

Hong Kong Rubber Duck

duck.jpg

130502153638-rubber-duck-in-hong-kong-5-

Puzzled a few when it was viewed from space.

2qc4bxt.jpg

• LawrenceA likes this

#33 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:02 AM

Titanic Water Slide - works best with very cold water. :blink: :wacko:

(yeah I'm also asking WHERE"S THE WATER?)

1f6e3bc3192d92efb5fd34a6ede30e16.jpg

97c1f03611d0e0c65ae49669c8e59d46_f155.jp

#34 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:42 AM

Funny Halos commercial satirizing Snow White.

#35 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

Bacon.jpg

• Sepiatone likes this

#36 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,418 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

I've also noticed those age groups drink a LOT more beer than most people drank in previous years.  And alcohol in general.

I remember in my youth we'd stand or sit around at parties discussing the politics of the day, music, movies, books, recant something funny we've seen or did.  Or that our kids did.  Lately at gatherings, I've noticed people in their 20's and '30's mostly discussing  their "smartphones", what "Apps" they have, or the different flavors of beer and vodka.

Try to discuss the politics of the day and they'll likely regurgitate some soundbites  they've heard or read online somewhere, trying to make it sound as if it came out of their own mind.

I'll stop now for fear of sounding like PHIL FOSTER.  :D

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#37 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,126 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:02 AM

Not to make this thread into a downer, but since we've been talking about health issues, I just saw this:

Colon cancer rates rise among Gen X, millennials: study

Miami (AFP) - Rates of colon and **** cancer are rising sharply among young and middle-aged adults in the United States but doctors have yet to pinpoint why, researchers said Tuesday.

The report in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute found that Generation X and millennials face anywhere from twice to four times the risk of colon and **** cancer as their baby boomer counterparts.

https://www.yahoo.co...-163259532.html

I'm sure it has nothing to do with diet and exercise.  <_< 

The lack of fruit and vegetables is doing it. So sez my colonoscopist. Young folks don't give a **** about veggies. Instead of eating fruit they go get a smoothie.

• Sepiatone likes this

#38 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:31 AM

They used the old "B" battereis to power portable radios back then.  Some took 3 separate types - filament, grid / bias and plate.

The ones in the rear are 90 volt!

batteries.jpg

One can use a LOT of modern batteries but it will cost a lot, better to build a specialized power supply.

1403770_orig.jpg

Love the old batteries!!  So is the one downstage-left that looks like a long C or D cell an A or B cell?  I see the one lantern battery off to stage-right, the C or D cells center-stage, and the 90Vs upstage.  Up on the riser in front of the 90V batteries, in true Ray Conniff Singer style, I see a 67.5V and two 45V batteries.  Any alphabetic designation for the high voltage batteries?  That is one gnarly collection. :D

#39 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:17 PM

Better be using some giant lantern batteries then.

They used the old "B" battereis to power portable radios back then.  Some took 3 separate types - filament, grid / bias and plate.

The ones in the rear are 90 volt!

batteries.jpg

One can use a LOT of modern batteries but it will cost a lot, better to build a specialized power supply.

1403770_orig.jpg

#40 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:31 PM

The oscillator uses battery tubes, that's how it's powered.  The phonograph is wind up.

Better be using some giant lantern batteries then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users