We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

From around the galaxy

• Please log in to reply
3776 replies to this topic

#21 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,176 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:11 AM

We made it through the weekend with no Rapture or Nibiru-inspired apocalypses.

Yay?

fea6ae0fbd27fbaaffa36197f58cf87b.gif

• Dargo likes this

#22 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,204 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

I thought people be happy Christ had a ban on guns? Guess not.

Better phrase in ANNOYING tactics.

1363356776923.jpg

Actually ham, I have some respect for the JWs. 

You see, they're one of few Christian sects who seem to actually put their money where their mouth is, so to speak, when it comes to the issue of War.

And thus in MY view and in THIS regard anyway, seem to be JUST a little less hypocritical in their actions than most other Christian sects I've ever run across.

(...aaah, but as in my earlier plea about not turning THIS thread into another discussion about that man-child currently inhabiting the White House, what say we ALSO don't turn this thread into a Theology discussion or debate, okay?!)

• Sepiatone likes this

#23 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,771 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:32 AM

I thought people be happy Christ had a ban on guns? Guess not.

Yeah, I DO have admit that when those folks knock on my door and hand me one of their little Watchtower pamphlets, and then later while I scan through it, I at least never get the idea that they're using scare tactics in their attempts to convert me.

(...and so I suppose there's at least THAT to be said in their favor anyway, huh)

Better phrase in ANNOYING tactics.

1363356776923.jpg

#24 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,204 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:14 AM

I've found them comical at times.  For instance, in one of them, a man questions some biblical passage that says something about how at Armageddon, the weapons will all be burned in a huge fire.  The questioner raises the query that since almost all modern day weapons are made of steel, how is this going to be accomplished?

The answer the "saved" one in the story goes on about how the Chinese have created a material known as lignostone that's really a highly compressed wood that's as strong as steel....etc. and thus supposedly clearing up the "how would they burn" mystery.  The fact that lignostone wasn't invented by the Chinese, and Russia did build a few tanks out of it, it's basically been found unreliable for these applications doesn't seem to matter.  It's used more in home construction than in weapons manufacturing.  ;)

And in another comic, A man was recalling his past days of sin and depravity, saying how for a while, he delved into the "occult", while the illustration showed him dozing next to a pile of books.  Among the books with titles like "Whitchcraft",  "Wiccan Ways", Astrology"  and "Satanism" was a book with the title, "Jehovah's Witness"!   :o

"Surely", I thought, "My cousin, who IS a witness, will be SHOCKED to find she's  been a member of the occult!  :P

Sepiatone

Yeah, I DO have admit that when those folks knock on my door and hand me one of their little Watchtower pamphlets, and then later while I scan through it, I at least never get the idea that they're using scare tactics in their attempts to convert me.

(...and so I suppose there's at least THAT to be said in their favor anyway, huh)

#25 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,771 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:06 AM

I've found them comical at times.  For instance, in one of them, a man questions some biblical passage that says something about how at Armageddon, the weapons will all be burned in a huge fire.  The questioner raises the query that since almost all modern day weapons are made of steel, how is this going to be accomplished?

The answer the "saved" one in the story goes on about how the Chinese have created a material known as lignostone that's really a highly compressed wood that's as strong as steel....etc. and thus supposedly clearing up the "how would they burn" mystery.  The fact that lignostone wasn't invented by the Chinese, and Russia did build a few tanks out of it, it's basically been found unreliable for these applications doesn't seem to matter.  It's used more in home construction than in weapons manufacturing.  ;)

And in another comic, A man was recalling his past days of sin and depravity, saying how for a while, he delved into the "occult", while the illustration showed him dozing next to a pile of books.  Among the books with titles like "Whitchcraft",  "Wiccan Ways", Astrology"  and "Satanism" was a book with the title, "Jehovah's Witness"!   :o

"Surely", I thought, "My cousin, who IS a witness, will be SHOCKED to find she's  been a member of the occult!  :P

Sepiatone

Uh, recycling?  Swords will be beaten into plowshares expression.

nr397u-b88453455z.120150706155747000g5ra

weapondestruction.jpg

lfa_foundry_shutterstock_112001009__larg

#26 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,204 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:04 AM

Dargo, I love you, but at that point I'll have to say bye bye!

HUH?! "Bye bye", ya say, Princess?!

Well, how do ya like THAT?!

(...I guess I'm being, ahem, "Left Behind" here, eh?!) ;)

• LawrenceA likes this

#27 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,225 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:58 AM

Last year I was in the parking lot at Walmart trying to find space in my car for all that junk I always buy there. And in the car parked next to me was a mother with her cute little boy, who was about 9 or 10.

He could see that I was more than a little frustrated and getting tired, so he came over and he handed me one of those little comic book pamphlets. He told me that soon I would be feeling a lot better. I thanked him.

When I had a chance to look at it, I realized I had never seen one before. They're really very interesting.

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#28 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,869 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:38 AM

AH yes!

When those little frustrations in life are gettin' ya down, there's no better little pick-me-up than being reminded that you'll be goin' to Hell when you die unless you mend your ways, eh Princess?!

;)

Dargo, I love you, but at that point I'll have to say bye bye!

#29 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,204 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:30 AM

Last year I was in the parking lot at Walmart trying to find space in my car for all that junk I always buy there. And in the car parked next to me was a mother with her cute little boy, who was about 9 or 10.

He could see that I was more than a little frustrated and getting tired, so he came over and he handed me one of those little comic book pamphlets. He told me that soon I would be feeling a lot better. I thanked him.

When I had a chance to look at it, I realized I had never seen one before. They're really very interesting.

AH yes!

When those little frustrations in life are gettin' ya down, there's no better little pick-me-up than being reminded that you'll be goin' to Hell when you die unless you mend your ways, eh Princess?!

;)

#30 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,869 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:59 PM

Yeah, that's them. NO trouble finding them littering all the break areas in the Cadillac plant I worked n.

Sepiatone

#31 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,771 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:46 PM

While Googling some street vendor photos regarding "The Family Secret" (1924) for another thread, something popped up unexpect.  One of the search results was a Pinterest hit.  Just Google old street vendors.

Guess shirt and shoes are not required to sell on the open market. :blink:  :lol:

#32 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,225 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:33 AM

I think it's these little pamphlets.  Sometimes you're find them at the post office. (well mine anyway)

0055_01.gif

62.jpg

img.png

Yeah, that's them.  NO trouble finding them littering all the break areas in the Cadillac plant I worked n.

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#33 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,204 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:33 PM

Just pulling your chain...

Aaaah.

I KNEW something had to be afoot here.

(...or some other body part, anyway) ;)

#34 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Wearing my hip waders.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • LocationLand of Bread and Circuses

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:29 PM

Drats!

I guess when I crack these suckers, I sometimes forget the general demographic around here.

She's a little cutie(with sexy full lips that are always painted up with bright red lipstick...love that look) and has been a top selling Pop/Country recording artist for the last few years.

(...and not that I listen to her music, but I would've thought everybody by now knew of her and that her songs are often about her failed love life)

Just pulling your chain...

Moviecollector's Corner                   *Look for what should be there, but isn't.*              Principia-Scientific.org (independent science news)

usdebtclock.org (just some pretty numbers to watch)

#35 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,204 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:41 PM

What's a Taylor Swift?

Drats!

I guess when I crack these suckers, I sometimes forget the general demographic around here.

She's a little cutie(with sexy full lips that are always painted up with bright red lipstick...love that look) and has been a top selling Pop/Country recording artist for the last few years.

(...and not that I listen to her music, but I would've thought everybody by now knew of her and that her songs are often about her failed love life)

#36 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Wearing my hip waders.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:26 PM

Hmmmm...yeah, MCOH. I believe Taylor Swift wrote some kind'a song about Cassini.

Oh...wait...wrong Cassini. I think HER song was about some ex-boyfriend of hers named Cassini, and as usual in her songs, it's a riff about how she NOW thinks he's a big jerk.

(...and so never mind...it wasn't about THAT "Cassini")

What's a Taylor Swift?

Moviecollector's Corner                   *Look for what should be there, but isn't.*              Principia-Scientific.org (independent science news)

#37 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,204 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

Cassini.  That is a catchy name, wonder if anyone did a song about it, like The Tornadoes did with the Telstar satellite.

Hmmmm...yeah, MCOH. I believe Taylor Swift wrote some kind'a song about Cassini.

Oh...wait...wrong Cassini. I think HER song was about some ex-boyfriend of hers named Cassini, and as usual in her songs, it's a riff about how she NOW thinks he's a big jerk.

(...and so never mind...it wasn't about THAT "Cassini")

#38 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Wearing my hip waders.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:29 PM

Cassini...

Are you replying the correct post? :huh:

About the little pamphlets, was answering Lawrence's question about what they were.  Always notice them laying around on the counter at my local post office. They been around for over 40 years.

Cassini.  That is a catchy name, wonder if anyone did a song about it, like The Tornadoes did with the Telstar satellite.

#39 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Wearing my hip waders.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

UPS Lite?  :blink: :lol:

mmHlQLJ.jpg

Back in the 1990s UPS used to have a 150 lb weight limit per package (I used to use them to ship equipment).  Since then it was changed to 75 lb weight limit.  As far as their employees were concerned, it had previously been 75 lb per person, but in the distribution centers two were required to lift an overweight package.  They eventually lowered the limit for ground shipments to 75 lb because their employees were generally not following handling protocol for packages over 75 lb (just too busy of an operation).

So what's that have to do with this little delivery car?  Probably not much.  I know the streets are small over there, but in practical terms I can't imagine what they could do with such a tiny capacity.  Not unless they mostly do small high value shipments from air freight.  Even the drug cartel operations where underground US operatives cart in huge amounts of US hundred dollar bills to foreign "bad guys" use larger vehicles.  I'd think UPS would at least have something the size and shape of a smaller Ford Transit.  This isn't even the size of an ordinary car. LOL

#40 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,771 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:19 AM

....my "speak for yourself" comment was to your "everything....is in the dot" comment.

Then I went off into the tangent of those religious pamphlets & religious story attractions. 

Just jumping into the conversation. Sorry if my posts are confusing. 

What do you mean "speak for yourself"?  All of mankind's history happened on Earth (the little dot).  Are you from somewhere else? :lol:

green-girl.jpg?w=620

Edited by hamradio, 21 September 2017 - 11:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users