We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:00 AM

Kubrick's A Space Odyssey does not need to be remade. 

Kubrick often made films like a "dream"; sometimes random images that evoke emotions.

That works great for 2001A Space Odyssey 

Just look at 2010, typical linear story arc with lots of dialogue: bo-ring! 

2010 is a story, 2001 is art.

I agree that it doesn't need to be remade, though in some ways it's a reflection of the era in which it was filmed. The late 1960's were the flowering of visual and aural psychedelia and the movie was a stoner's dream-come-true. The aforementioned "10 minute wormhole sequence" was an obvious high point in that respect, but what I remember being the standout sequence was the slow docking of the spacecraft with the space station to the tune of The Blue Danube. That experience, under the influence of the "pernicious" chemical of the day and in a Cinerama theater (It was filmed in enhanced Panavision but initially shown on Cinerama screens.) is something I remember vividly fifty years later. The "Thus Spake Zarathustra" planet alignment sequence is another mind-blower, as the kids used to say. The image of the rotating "star baby" at the end too, showing that even out of the sterility man had created for himself could come renewal. Even the first image, the MGM lion rendered graphically in the style of the Zig Zag rolling papers guy, created a buzz around the film that made it a counterculture must-see as well as a more mainstream hit.  

No amount of dialogue or linear storytelling could convey what Kubrick did visually in the opening sequence, in which the ape toying with a bone discovers he can make it an instrument and immediately slaughters one of the placid creatures which had been up until then peacefully grazing alongside the ape. It escalates to combat with other apes, the ape throws the bone into the air in triumph and the spinning bone becomes the spaceship, thereby tying the future man who has mastered space to the ape who has learned to kill. How could that ever be expressed in dialogue?

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#2 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

Kubrick often made films like a "dream"; sometimes random images that evoke emotions.

"2010" was a good conventional sci-fi adventure- Kubrick was creating cinematic poetry in "2001" nothing is really explain that is whst the film is timeless ( even though some of the technology in it has dated)

#3 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,699 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:10 AM

• DougieB and jaragon like this

#4 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:11 PM

I will not argue that 2010: The Year We Make Contact is better, but I did enjoy it more than the original. It was more straightforward and didn't have a 10 minute long wormhole sequence :) I would say the closest thing to a sequel to 2001, style-wise, would be Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Anyone else think of that connection?

Yeah Kubrick's film was obviously an influence on "Star Trek TMP"

• rayban likes this

#5 SleepyDogFilms

SleepyDogFilms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 08:19 PM

I will not argue that 2010: The Year We Make Contact is better, but I did enjoy it more than the original. It was more straightforward and didn't have a 10 minute long wormhole sequence :) I would say the closest thing to a sequel to 2001, style-wise, would be Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Anyone else think of that connection?

• jaragon likes this

www.sleepydogfilmsusa.com

www.facebook.com/sleepydogfilmsusa

#6 DJBeacon

DJBeacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach, SC

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:28 PM

I remember going to see "2001" while in high school.  It was like seeing modern art for the first time, not understanding exactly what was going on but enjoying the movie.  It took 2 or 3 more viewings to become comfortable and really start appreciating the film.  As I remember when it first came out, many critics panned the movie since it was so different.  Reading a book on the movie, it seems the technical consultant,Fred Ordway, kept after Kubrick to add a voice over / dialog / explanation at the beginning of the film but fortunately Kubrick refused.

• Kid Dabb and LawrenceA like this

#7 DJBeacon

DJBeacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach, SC

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:17 PM

There is no director working now that can touch Kubrick's true visionary genius- "2001" is a timeless classic even in this age of CGI the Oscar winning hand crafted fx still work- why doesn't  MGM release this movie in IMAX?  Arthur C Clarke wrote other sequels to "2001" now the movie I really would love to see is "Rondesvouz with Rama"

"The Fountains of Paradise" would be one of ACC novels I would like to see as a movie.

#8 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:13 PM

There is no director working now that can touch Kubrick's true visionary genius- "2001" is a timeless classic even in this age of CGI the Oscar winning hand crafted fx still work- why doesn't  MGM release this movie in IMAX?  Arthur C Clarke wrote other sequels to "2001" now the movie I really would love to see is "Rondesvouz with Rama"

• Kid Dabb and DJBeacon like this

#9 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:21 AM

Kubrick's A Space Odyssey does not need to be remade.  I won't be narrow-minded and say it's impossible to produce a quality remake, but why bother.  The dazzling imagery of the original, and the ambiguity, will continue to attract new viewers and discussions.  The philosophical questions the film posed -- What is existence? How do we acquire knowledge? Is artificial intelligence a threat to humanity? -- are more important today than in 1968.  I recommended A Space Odyssey to a friend in his twenties, an Xbox gamer with high standards for special effects, and he loved it.

• Kid Dabb and LawrenceA like this

#10 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:10 AM

5FjtBxE.jpg

GTlYv4N.jpg

• LawrenceA likes this

FdX2C0H.gif

#11 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:03 PM

Any body know why Peter Hyams, who directed 2010, chose not do a film version of the book, and essentially rewrote it for the screen ?

The book is much more interesting than the film 2010, and a lot more uplifting.

Austin2

attachicon.gifLeonov meets Discovery.jpg

The only response I can offer to your query is a note from 2010's wiki:

When Clarke published his novel 2010: Odyssey Two in 1982, he telephoned Stanley Kubrick, and jokingly said, "Your job is to stop anybody [from] making it [into a movie] so I won't be bothered." Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) subsequently worked out a contract to make a film adaptation, but Kubrick had no interest in directing it. However, Peter Hyams was interested and contacted both Clarke and Kubrick for their blessings:

I had a long conversation with Stanley and told him what was going on. If it met with his approval, I would do the film; and if it didn't, I wouldn't. I certainly would not have thought of doing the film if I had not gotten the blessing of Kubrick. He's one of my idols; simply one of the greatest talents that's ever walked the Earth. He more or less said, 'Sure. Go do it. I don't care.' And another time he said, 'Don't be afraid. Just go do your own movie.'

While he was writing the screenplay in 1983, Hyams (in Los Angeles) began communicating with Clarke (in Sri Lanka) via the then-pioneering medium of e-mail. The two would discuss the planning and production of the film on an almost daily basis using this method. Their correspondence was published in 1984 as The Odyssey File: The Making of 2010. The book illustrates Clarke's fascination with the new method of communication, and also includes Clarke's list of the top science fiction films ever made. In order to give the publishers enough lead-time to have it available for the release of the movie, the book terminates while the movie is still in pre-production. At the point of the last e-mail, Clarke had not yet read the script, and Roy Scheider was the only actor who had been cast

FdX2C0H.gif

#12 RedNoir

RedNoir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBrockton ,MA

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:14 PM

If someone asks me what's my all time favorite movie, my answer will always be 2001: A Space Odyssey. Being a 20 year old college student, I don't think I ever saw a more visionary movie like 2001: A Space Odyssey. It is one that I'll always treasured in my heart. One time, I bought a one sheet poster of the movie down in Falmouth, Massachusetts. I still have that poster in my movie poster collection. I also own a DVD copy of the movie, as well.

• Kid Dabb and rayban like this

#13 Austin2

Austin2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationToronto Ontario Canada

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:10 PM

Any body know why Peter Hyams, who directed 2010, chose not do a film version of the book, and essentially rewrote it for the screen ?

The book is much more interesting than the film 2010, and a lot more uplifting.

Austin2

Attached File  Leonov meets Discovery.jpg   35.79KB   0 downloads

• Austin2 likes this

Austin2

- I don't know where I'm going, but I'll let you know when I get there -

#14 Fuster

Fuster

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

Tom Watson of IBM fame was irked at the HAL acronym for obvious reasons. Not many movies can match this monolith.

#15 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,277 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:35 PM

wish Ridley Scott would do it

Please for the love of God NOOOO!

2001 is a one-of-a-kind movie. Kubrick has a unique story telling style, so unlike Hollywood typical, spoon fed linear stories.

2010 the sequel was made in a typical linear style which some people prefer. That's enough. The original Kubrick version needs to be left alone.

It's akin to Kubrick's THE SHINING. The remake was horrible, while the original Kubrick is slowly becoming the classic art piece as more people see it and appreciate the genius of the storytelling.

A remake doesn't mess with the original.   Kubrick's version is being left alone by many.  They are NOT seeing it or even know it exist. But if a remake was made maybe people would seek out the Kubrick version.   This is often the case with a remake;  It beings attention to prior versions. 

#16 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,317 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:22 PM

2001 is a one-of-a-kind movie. Kubrick has a unique story telling style, so unlike Hollywood typical, spoon fed linear stories.

Interesting point, although the movie still confuses me.

I just finished reading a biography of Alan Turing (as in The Imitation Game) and it seems his ideas (over 50 years before 2001) were used in creating HAL.

I'm a big boy.

#17 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,699 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:56 AM

wish Ridley Scott would do it

Please for the love of God NOOOO!

2010 the sequel was made in a typical linear style which some people prefer. That's enough. The original Kubrick version needs to be left alone.

It's akin to Kubrick's THE SHINING. The remake was horrible, while the original Kubrick is slowly becoming the classic art piece as more people see it and appreciate the genius of the storytelling.

#18 joefilmone

joefilmone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:33 PM

I wish Ridley Scott would do it

#19 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:09 AM

Morgan Freeman has said the film adaptation will be made (in 3D !) - just needs to get a good script. I'm looking forward to this one myself. All I have to add is.. hurry up!

FdX2C0H.gif

#20 joefilmone

joefilmone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:12 PM

What I really want to see is "Rondesvous with Rama"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users