We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,938 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:22 PM

2001 is a one-of-a-kind movie. Kubrick has a unique story telling style, so unlike Hollywood typical, spoon fed linear stories.

Interesting point, although the movie still confuses me.

I just finished reading a biography of Alan Turing (as in The Imitation Game) and it seems his ideas (over 50 years before 2001) were used in creating HAL.

I'm a big boy.

#22 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,983 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:56 AM

wish Ridley Scott would do it

Please for the love of God NOOOO!

2001 is a one-of-a-kind movie. Kubrick has a unique story telling style, so unlike Hollywood typical, spoon fed linear stories.

2010 the sequel was made in a typical linear style which some people prefer. That's enough. The original Kubrick version needs to be left alone.

It's akin to Kubrick's THE SHINING. The remake was horrible, while the original Kubrick is slowly becoming the classic art piece as more people see it and appreciate the genius of the storytelling.

#23 joefilmone

joefilmone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:33 PM

I wish Ridley Scott would do it

#24 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:09 AM

Morgan Freeman has said the film adaptation will be made (in 3D !) - just needs to get a good script. I'm looking forward to this one myself. All I have to add is.. hurry up!

FdX2C0H.gif

#25 joefilmone

joefilmone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:12 PM

What I really want to see is "Rondesvous with Rama"

#26 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:26 PM

Thanks, joe.

Here's some wiki:

On November 3, 2014, it was reported that Syfy had ordered a mini-series adaptation of 3001: The Final Odyssey into production for broadcast in 2015. The mini-series will be executive-produced by Ridley Scott, David W. Zucker and Stuart Beattie; the latter will also be the primary scriptwriter. The estates of both Clarke and 2001: A Space Odyssey director Stanley Kubrick were reported as having "offered their full support", but the extent of their involvement is not known at this time.

---------------------------

It was reported on Yahoo Entertainment in 2000 that MGM and actor/director Tom Hanks were in discussions regarding turning both 2061: Odyssey Three and 3001: The Final Odyssey into movies. (Hanks would reportedly play Frank Poole in the 3001 film.) An update in 2001 stated that there was no further development on the project.

FdX2C0H.gif

#27 joefilmone

joefilmone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:07 AM

Those look awesome - the sort of poster image that made you want to see the movie,

#28 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:37 PM

"The nearest thing to an artist-in-residence from outer space." That's how Isaac Asimov once described Robert T. McCall, the renowned illustrator, conceptual artist, space-scene painter, official NASA artist, and creator of legendary movie posters including 2001: A Space Odyssey.
w19nn.jpgClick to enlarge
a0cc37.jpg

• joefilmone likes this

FdX2C0H.gif

#29 ValentineXavier

ValentineXavier

I got myself into a situation here that I can't get out of.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, MI

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:42 AM

Will be shown here on TCM at 8:00 PM EDT this evening.

Sometimes the part where Dave gets sucked into the monolith seems to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r.. , but I just go make a sandwich during that part. 

Well, it won't let me out of the box after editing. KD, that's the best part! Just stay seated and groove!

"Those who would give up essential liberty
to purchase a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty, nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971 

#30 joefilmone

joefilmone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:23 PM

Kubrick's visionary film remains one of the masterpieces of a sci-fi cinema- yes it can be a bit slow at times-( it seems to take for ever to get to Jupiter. )  The still amazing special effects are timeless and this is still one of the most realistic depiction of space travel.  And like "Lawrence of Arabia" it's   movie that must be experience in a BIG SCREEN- why doesn't MGM re-released it for IMAX?!

• roverrocks likes this

#31 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

Will be shown here on TCM at 8:00 PM EDT this evening.

I like this movie - a lot. Sometimes the part where Dave gets sucked into the monolith seems to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r.. , but I just go make a sandwich during that part. From reading posts here over the years, especially this past year, this film is not liked by so many - along with it's contemporary; Lawrence of Arabia.

FdX2C0H.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users