We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Name your bottom five worst war films ever

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 T-Newton

T-Newton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:30 PM

I don't really have five, but I can say what my #1 would be: Pearl Harbor, no question. The film is practically an insult to the U.S. Military, as well as history in my book, and mind you, I DETEST Michael Bay.

• LawrenceA likes this

#2 GordonCole

GordonCole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:07 PM

# 1. I know lots of people probably like this one, but not me - The Longest Day (1962)

For me, the whole feel of this film is "off" somehow and the length of 178 (?) minutes is just too much for comfortable viewing. I sat through this at least twice and just don't have what it takes to make another go of it.

Still working on #'s 2-5

Didn't this movie have Frankie Avalon in it.

#3 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:29 PM

I haven't seen a ton of war movies, it's not typically my favorite genre.  However, I'll watch if the storyline sounds intriguing enough or if the film is highly acclaimed and I feel like I need to watch it just so I can say I did.

I don't think there is a film that I hate more than Apocalypse Now.  It was long, boring and tedious.  It was one of those films where I watched it and after it was (finally) over, I thought "What did I just watch? I have no idea what happened."  That is not a good sentiment to have after watching a ten hour movie (or however long it really is).  

The 2001 film Pearl Harbor was pretty bad.

I also really hated Birth of a Nation (1915).  I realize it's importance in the terms of film history, but this movie was horrible. 

MASH (1970).  The show is fine, but the movie was so boring.  I hated it.  

Memphis Belle (1990).  We had to watch this movie in high school instead of the planned Saving Private Ryan, because we had one student whose parent objected to the graphic violence of 'Private Ryan,', so this film was selected to replace the original film in the curriculum.  I have since seen 'Private Ryan,' and I would have much rather seen this film instead of 'Belle.' 'Belle' seemed like an amalgamation of every war movie cliche.  

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#4 LatriceRoyale

LatriceRoyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:44 PM

Monuments Men

Why they ever decided to make this stinker when we already have the great classic The Train...

You cannot have it both ways.  A dancer who relies upon the doubtful comforts of human love can never be a great dancer. Never!

Boris Lermontov

#5 GGGGerald

GGGGerald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 September 2015 - 02:39 AM

# 1. I know lots of people probably like this one, but not me - The Longest Day (1962)

For me, the whole feel of this film is "off" somehow and the length of 178 (?) minutes is just too much for comfortable viewing. I sat through this at least twice and just don't have what it takes to make another go of it.

Still working on #'s 2-5

Isn't this the one where, right in the middle of the D Day invasion with bullets flying, these officers sit down and have a meeting right there on the beach ? With not a care in the world  :lol: 

#6 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:50 AM

Apocalypse Now is also one I had a terrible time getting through. It could have been much shorter and I think they could have cut nearly the whole, if not all of, the Brando sequence.

Beach Red with Cornell Wilde is pretty lame. They had a big cast and lost of battles but they also had these dream sequences of life back home and there was nothing WWII about them. All around just lousy.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. 

G. Marx.

#7 Zombiez_01

Zombiez_01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:22 PM

Bad war movies? Lets just say these movies don't get air time in my castle. One time was enough.

:wacko:

Wind Talkers

Jarhead

The Thin Red Line

Four Lions

Pearl Harbor

Full Metal Jacket

Fury (Sahara, (1943) is a superior movie made during ww2.)

:blink:

There might be some elements that were good. Overall not good enough IMHO

#8 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 16 June 2015 - 10:09 PM

I know this might be a controversial choice,

but I cannot stand Apocalypse Now.  The absolute most boring movie I have ever seen.

I agree that Pearl Harbor was pretty cheesy.  Josh Harnett, during his 5 minutes of fame, was a terrible actor.

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#9 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

Pearl Harbor (2001) is on my list too.. 

So far, my list:

The Longest Day (1962)

Submarine Command (1951)

Rogue's March (1952) - by description only.. haven't seen it

Pearl Harbor (2001)

FdX2C0H.gif

#10 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

I cannot remember if it was just an action film or a war movie, but 1953's Rogue's March was very dreary.

I can't recall having seen this one. The cast listing looks pretty good, though - not good enough, eh?

wiki has this to say: Rogue's March is a 1952 film.. Period.

That's it! It MUST be a dog.

FdX2C0H.gif

#11 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

If I remember this one correctly, this should be my second worst ever war film (I'm trying to stick to WWI, WWII and Korean).

# 2. Submarine Command (1951) with William Holden, William Bendix, Nancy Olson and Don Taylor

FdX2C0H.gif

#12 roverrocks

roverrocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationMontrose, Colorado

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

There is no worse war movie than the 1984 dud of really dumb duds RED DAWN.  Just plain embarrassingly bad.  #2 through #5 are the simple minded and absurd RAMBO messes.  Is their a worse actor than Sylvester Stallone?  Nyet, there is not.

• Kid Dabb and Austin2 like this

#13 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

Warbirds (2008)

From IMDB:

"In the midst of World War 2, an OSS officer leads a group of female pilots on a mission to deliver a secret weapon, only to crash land on an island in the Pacific after an encounter with a deadly storm. On the island, they must not only contend with a small band of Japanese soldiers but the native inhabitants of the island as well - vicious prehistoric pterosaurs."

That sounds like it's right out of the fabulous 50s.. without Doug McClure -

and that may be why it's truly bad.

:lol:

FdX2C0H.gif

#14 GoodGuysWearBlack

GoodGuysWearBlack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

Warbirds (2008)

From IMDB:

"In the midst of World War 2, an OSS officer leads a group of female pilots on a mission to deliver a secret weapon, only to crash land on an island in the Pacific after an encounter with a deadly storm. On the island, they must not only contend with a small band of Japanese soldiers but the native inhabitants of the island as well - vicious prehistoric pterosaurs."

s5kdaq.jpg

#15 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

Still working on #'s 2-5

FdX2C0H.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users