We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"She" (1935)/(1965)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

Yes...I don't understand why they don't.

Will we ever get a modern-day "She"?

Although Ursula Andress was "hot, hot, hot", I prefer Helen Gahagan Douglas.

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:27 PM

The colorized version is horrible- I saw it on DVD which you could switch from the B&W to the color - I stayed with the black and white.

TCM really should run it

Yes...I don't understand why they don't.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:34 PM

Yes...by far, the best production of this classic story. A colorized 1935 version is on Hulu. 

The colorized version is horrible- I saw it on DVD which you could switch from the B&W to the color - I stayed with the black and white.

TCM really should run it

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:44 AM

I prefer the 1935 version with Randolph Scott and Helen Gahagan Douglas.

It is truly spectacular.

Yes...by far, the best production of this classic story. A colorized 1935 version is on Hulu. 

• jaragon likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:48 AM

I prefer the 1935 version with Randolph Scott and Helen Gahagan Douglas.

It is truly spectacular.

• Swithin and TopBilled like this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 12:10 AM

I had forgotten Randolph Scott was in the 1935 version. It must not be in the TCM library since it does not air. I watched it as a disc rental from Netflix.

• rayban likes this

#7 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,765 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

Forget both of those. The one to see is the 1982 version - reputed to be the most bizarre movie ever made and what greater recommendation is there than that?

http://www.imdb.com/...90009/reference

White Knights, Manginas and Simps, oh my!

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

The 1935 version is more like a serial- there are some spectacular effects like the avalanche- but I love the art deco production design and the Flash Gordon like costumes.

Maybe since Flash Gordon and the other serials came afterward, they were inspired by the '35 version of SHE. It certainly is a stunning piece of filmmaking. And it's a wonder that Helen Gahagan Douglas never made any more movies.

• rayban likes this

#9 joefilmone

joefilmone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

The 1935 version is more like a serial- there are some spectacular effects like the avalanche- but I love the art deco production design and the Flash Gordon like costumes.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

The 1935 production is a lot more fun but the 1965 had a truly gorgeous Andress as the-one- who- must-be-obeyed. Hammer really spent the money on this one and it shows.  I'm surprised someone hasn't talked Angelina Jolie to star in a new version- it could be set in outer space..."Space-She"

It's been a while since I have seen the '35 version, and I wish TCM would play it again.  I liked Andress in the remake, and I agree that Jolie (or even Charlize Theron) would be good in a modern update.

Come to think of it, I am surprised the guys responsible for the AIRPLANE! and NAKED GUN! movies never spoofed it.  It sure is ripe for the picking.

• rayban likes this

#11 joefilmone

joefilmone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

The 1935 production is a lot more fun but the 1965 had a truly gorgeous Andress as the-one- who- must-be-obeyed. Hammer really spent the money on this one and it shows.  I'm surprised someone hasn't talked Angelina Jolie to star in a new version- it could be set in outer space..."Space-She"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users