We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

• Please log in to reply
2338 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted Today, 11:25 AM

Growing up, I only knew James Stewart's later screen image - so I get quite a kick out of his earlier film work.

Incidentally, John Wayne hated THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE. A friend of mine who worked on Duke's last picture (THE SHOOTIST) said before production began, Duke told everyone he never intended to make another picture like LIBERTY VALANCE.

What was the reason for this? He felt that all he did in LIBERTY VALANCE was stand around while the focus was on Jimmy's character. In THE SHOOTIST, this is noticeably reversed-- Jimmy has a cameo as a doctor, and the focus is entirely on Duke. Also, he felt that LIBERTY VALANCE was boring, and it took too long for anything exciting to happen. He said (rightfully so) that his fans expected him in movies that had a lot of action and excitement.

• rayban likes this

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#2 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted Today, 11:21 AM

Wednesday March 22, 2017

screen-shot-2017-03-22-at-8-52-53-am1.pn

60s westerns on TCM

THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE with John Wayne

HOMBRE with Paul Newman

Growing up, I only knew James Stewart's later screen image - so I get quite a kick out of his earlier film work.

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted Today, 10:56 AM

Wednesday March 22, 2017

screen-shot-2017-03-22-at-8-52-53-am1.pn

60s westerns on TCM

THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE with John Wayne

HOMBRE with Paul Newman

• rayban likes this

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted Today, 10:51 AM

There was only one John Wayne - and he was totally unique - an original!

For sure. A flawed human being but a true original.

#5 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:30 AM

Tuesday March 21, 2017

screen-shot-2017-03-21-at-7-17-34-am.png

Republic pictures on Amazon Prime

YOUNG BUFFALO BILL with Roy Rogers

GHOST TOWN GOLD with Robert Livingston

SANDS OF IWO JIMA with John Wayne

There was only one John Wayne - and he was totally unique - an original!

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:20 AM

Tuesday March 21, 2017

screen-shot-2017-03-21-at-7-17-34-am.png

Republic pictures on Amazon Prime

YOUNG BUFFALO BILL with Roy Rogers

GHOST TOWN GOLD with Robert Livingston

SANDS OF IWO JIMA with John Wayne

• rayban likes this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

Monday March 20, 2017

screen-shot-2017-03-20-at-6-21-15-am.png

Private eyes are watching you, they’re watching your every move on TCM

PSYCHO with Anthony Perkins

PEEPING TOM with Karl Boehm

screen-shot-2017-03-20-at-6-21-54-am.png

• rayban likes this

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:38 AM

Sunday March 19, 2017

screen-shot-2017-03-19-at-12-34-35-am1.p

Patrick McGoohan’s 89th birthday on Amazon Prime

HELL DRIVERS with Stanley Baker

ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ with Clint Eastwood

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

Saturday March 18, 2017

screen-shot-2017-03-18-at-7-36-50-am.png

Rene Clement’s 104th birthday on FilmStruck

THE DAMNED with Henri Vidal

PURPLE NOON with Alain Delon

• rayban likes this

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:07 AM

Friday March 17, 2017

screen-shot-2017-03-16-at-9-46-12-pm.png

Irish-themed musicals on TCM

IRENE with Anna Neagle

THE DAUGHTER OF ROSIE O’GRADY with June Haver

FINIAN’S RAINBOW with Fred Astaire

LITTLE NELLIE KELLY with Judy Garland

screen-shot-2017-03-16-at-10-04-04-pm.pn

• rayban likes this

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:41 AM

Thursday March 16, 2017

screen-shot-2017-03-15-at-8-12-10-pm.png

Disney flicks on TCM

FOLLOW ME BOYS! with Fred MacMurray

THE HOUND THAT THOUGHT HE WAS A RACCOON with Rex Allen

THE INCREDIBLE JOURNEY with various real-life animals

CHARLIE, THE LONESOME COUGAR with Ron Brown

• rayban likes this

#12 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

Wednesday March 15, 2017

screen-shot-2017-03-14-at-11-46-55-pm1.p

Postwar noir on TCM

THE WOMAN ON THE BEACH with Joan Bennett

TOO LATE FOR TEARS with Lizabeth Scott

OUT OF THE PAST with Robert Mitchum

THE BIG SLEEP with Humphrey Bogart

Lizabeth Scott, whose film career was curtailed when "Confidential" revealed that she was a lesbian, had such a striking and unique screen presence.

• TopBilled and Sepiatone like this

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:06 AM

Wednesday March 15, 2017

screen-shot-2017-03-14-at-11-46-55-pm1.p

Postwar noir on TCM

THE WOMAN ON THE BEACH with Joan Bennett

TOO LATE FOR TEARS with Lizabeth Scott

OUT OF THE PAST with Robert Mitchum

THE BIG SLEEP with Humphrey Bogart

• rayban likes this

#14 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:33 AM

Tuesday March 14, 2017

screen-shot-2017-03-14-at-6-20-42-am.png

Michael Caine’s 84th birthday on Amazon Prime

THE ROMANTIC ENGLISHWOMAN with Glenda Jackson

THE HOLCROFT COVENANT with Lilli Palmer

He was one of the screen's most beautiful men!!

• TopBilled likes this

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

Tuesday March 14, 2017

screen-shot-2017-03-14-at-6-20-42-am.png

Michael Caine’s 84th birthday on Amazon Prime

THE ROMANTIC ENGLISHWOMAN with Glenda Jackson

THE HOLCROFT COVENANT with Lilli Palmer

• rayban likes this

#16 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:20 AM

Monday March 13, 2017

screen-shot-2017-03-12-at-10-12-17-pm.pn

“Buckskin” on Amazon Prime

BUCKSKIN FRONTIER with Richard Dix

THE BUCKSKIN LADY with Patricia Medina

• rayban likes this

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

Sunday March 12, 2017

screen-shot-2017-03-12-at-6-25-30-am.png

Dorothy Dandridge & Harry Belafonte on TCM

CARMEN JONES with Pearl Bailey

BRIGHT ROAD with Philip Hepburn

• rayban likes this

#18 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:56 AM

Saturday March 11, 2017

screen-shot-2017-03-11-at-6-57-26-am.png

Troops in Italy on TCM

THE QUICK AND THE DEAD with Larry D. Mann

A WALK IN THE SUN with Dana Andrews

A FORCE OF ARMS with William Holden

• rayban likes this

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:39 PM

The Big Combo should be part of TCM June tribute.   

You're right-- it definitely should be. 

• rayban likes this

#20 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,262 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:32 PM

Friday March 10, 2017

screen-shot-2017-03-09-at-4-17-30-pm.png

Gangster dramas on Amazon Prime

THE BIG COMBO with Richard Conte

GIRLS GUNS AND GANGSTERS with Mamie Van Doren

The Big Combo should be part of TCM June tribute.   ;)

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users