We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

• Please log in to reply
2341 replies to this topic

#2321 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:40 PM

Even if there were a tcm viewing audience for artsy european offerings, tcm is pushing this eclectic binge they're on at the expense of more mainstream american films.

But if you look at ANY date on TCM's schedule (excluding those devoted to a specific star's spotlight) the majority of the movies shown are studio era American movies.

• hepclassic likes this

#2322 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,462 posts
  • Locationzaygon hegemony

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

Part of what is happening here, and I figured this would happen-- after the 20th anniversary when they brought the Fan Programmers on-- they have gone back to promoting their own agenda and getting away from what the viewers are wanting.  

In my view, the loyal TCM watchers want: 

1. more studio era Hollywood films (with film noir being the most popular genre)

2. a reformatting of Essentials and Essentials Jr., with less out of the box selections

3. less repeats and more TCM premieres of studio era Hollywood films (especially Paramount, Universal and Republic titles)

I don't see how they can NOT alienate some demographics with the more high-brow choices they have been selecting for Essentials. They are getting completely off track there, in my opinion. This is why people are turning the channel and watching Svengoolie.

I completely agree. 

"okay, so we're moving right along, folks" -al pacino, dog day afternoon

#2323 hepclassic

hepclassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

Part of what is happening here, and I figured this would happen-- after the 20th anniversary when they brought the Fan Programmers on-- they have gone back to promoting their own agenda and getting away from what the viewers are wanting.  

1. more studio era Hollywood films (with film noir being the most popular genre)

2. a reformatting of Essentials and Essentials Jr., with less out of the box selections

3. less repeats and more TCM premieres of studio era Hollywood films (especially Paramount, Universal and Republic titles)

I don't see how they can NOT alienate some demographics with the more high-brow choices they have been selecting for Essentials. They are getting completely off track there, in my opinion. This is why people are turning the channel and watching Svengoolie.

TCM does have to keep and maintain an audience, otherwise it goes to pots. Especially recruiting younger generations, who are accepting of foreign film as they are of domestic film, having a diverse selection draws an audience. If you don't want change, fine, but TCM is a business, and albeit successful, it has to appeal to a broad audience. 

"Sometimes you have to look at a person and see that he's doing the best he can." Katharine Hepburn as Ethel Thayer in 1981's "On Golden Pond."

#2324 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

Even if there were a tcm viewing audience for artsy european offerings, tcm is pushing this eclectic binge they're on at the expense of more mainstream american films.

I am going to agree with that. I think you are right on the money with that statement. They are swinging too far left of center.

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#2325 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

If there is ever a Cannes Film Channel, tcm is really in trouble.  :lol:

• lydecker likes this

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#2326 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

Svengoolie has become a breakout star.  

Yes, it  amazes me that Svengoolie now has a national (international?) following.

The character used to be appear only on local TV stations here  in Chicago.

#2327 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,462 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:24 PM

• TopBilled likes this

#2328 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

But Holden, I think there is a limit to how many art or European films should be scheduled in one evening.

Yes, but I was responding to a comment that TCM viewers were not interested in European films.

I think diversity in programming is a good thing . . . although I will admit that I very much enjoyed entire evenings devoted to Truffaut's films during the Spotlight on his movies.

• mr6666 and hepclassic like this

#2329 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

Svengoolie is not more popular than Cher ---who was the first Friday Night Spotlight host (or actually co-host with Robert Osborne).

I will agree with that.  I was thinking of Cher as more of a guest programmer. You're right, she did host the inaugural Friday Night Spotlight.

But-- Svengoolie has become a breakout star.  

#2330 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,462 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

If there is ever a Cannes Film Channel, tcm is really in trouble.  :lol:

#2331 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

So glad you mentioned Svengoolie!  I've been wanting to discuss him here.

Without a doubt, he is more popular and more engaging than ANY of the guest hosts TCM has brought on for the Friday Night Spotlight series.

Svengoolie is not more popular than Cher ---who was the first Friday Night Spotlight host (or actually co-host with Robert Osborne).

#2332 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

As for TCM viewers not being interested in European films, I think the interest in an "artsy" film from a Italian director (BLOW-UP) on TCM's search database indicates otherwise 

But Holden, I think there is a limit to how many art or European films should be scheduled in one evening. And as you said, Peter Sellers is not everyone's cup of tay, sorry to say.

THE MOUSE THAT ROARED would have worked much better as an Essential than ALICE B. What'shername.

#2333 HoldenIsHere

HoldenIsHere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:12 PM

Well, I don't find Peter Sellers remotely funny so I would not seek out any movie he was in.

That would be the reason for me not watching I LOVE YOU, ALICE B.TOKLAS when it aired on TCM.

The only movie with Sellers in it that I actually enjoyed was MIRDER BY DEATH.

I found it interesting in Robert Osborne's comments either before or after TCM's airing of MURDER BY DEATH that Sellers did not like MURDER BY DEATH because he thought it was not funny.

As for TCM viewers not being interested in European films, I think the interest in an "artsy" film from a Italian director (BLOW-UP) on TCM's search database indicates otherwise 

#2334 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,462 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:12 PM

Yeah! What TopBilled said. A commercial and Svengoolie-interrupted Curse of the Werewolf beats out Essentials. :)  I'm crushed   :(  What is tcm's next brilliant move? A positively engrossing thirteen week documentary on the making of Georges Melies' Trip to the Moon?   :P

25hols5.jpg

#2335 hepclassic

hepclassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

I hate to play devil's advocate here, but Me-TV is something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get on television, and it doesn't come extra with a cable package. How can Me-TV take away TCM's audience when they supply for two totally different markets? Certainly I can see how TCM would feel intimidated by a little competition, and Me-TV is little(as much as I watch it when I am somewhere that doesn't do cable tv), competition is healthy for our economy that way. If there was a monopoly for every one thing, it wouldn't be entirely capitalist, would it? 

Sorry to frame it in an economic standpoint here, but that's just how I see it. 

"Sometimes you have to look at a person and see that he's doing the best he can." Katharine Hepburn as Ethel Thayer in 1981's "On Golden Pond."

#2336 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

I'll be more than happy to watch 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY has many times as tcm programmers get an itch to show it...so long as they will present it smileboxed...just once! That's not askin' a lot.  :) p.s. and viewers were willing to tolerate the comedics of Svengoolie too. :)  

So glad you mentioned Svengoolie!  I've been wanting to discuss him here.

Without a doubt, he is more popular and more engaging than ANY of the guest hosts TCM has brought on for the Friday Night Spotlight series. And it's a no-brainer that he is more knowledgeable than Drew Barrymore on Saturday nights.

Svengoolie is easily taking viewers away from TCM.

#2337 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,462 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:00 PM

Another (huge) problem, and yes I am going to say this (here comes my controversial statement of the day)-- is that they are not only showing stuff they want to see (definitely) but more importantly they have an agenda, showing stuff they want others to see. The whole Essentials format is predicated upon showing films they think everyone should see.  It seems a bit pretentious and probably out of touch with most viewer tastes.

I think it is very revealing that a horror film (interrupted by commercials) outranked the so-called Essential film they put into their prime time slot last night.

I'll be more than happy to watch 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY has many times as tcm programmers get an itch to show it...so long as they will present it smileboxed...just once! That's not askin' a lot.  :) p.s. and viewers were willing to tolerate the comedics of Svengoolie too. :)  

#2338 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

When tcm programmers decide to put the kibosh on this half..uh..keestered  european french-slanted eclectic kick they've been on and once again put on the stuff that we wanna see and not WHAT THEY WANNA SEE them maybe they will get a different outcome. WE'RE THE VIEWING AUDIENCE. Maybe tcm should start reminding themselves of that.

Another (huge) problem, and yes I am going to say this (here comes my controversial statement of the day)-- is that they are not only showing stuff they want to see (definitely) but more importantly they have an agenda, showing stuff they want others to see. The whole Essentials format is predicated upon showing films they think everyone should see.  It seems a bit pretentious and probably out of touch with most viewer tastes.

I think it is very revealing that a horror film (interrupted by commercials) outranked the so-called Essential film they put into their prime time slot last night.

#2339 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,462 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:46 PM

ALICE B. TOKLAS had a plum spot in primetime last night on TCM. For those who read the threads in the Essentials area, there has already been considerable discussion about whether this film, selected by Drew Barrymore, was in fact a true essential.

And now comes news that this film did not even crack the top ten of most-searched titles on the database yesterday, suggesting it did not really appeal to most viewers. BLOW UP, a second installment of Essentials, with a much later time slot, easily hit number one.

But, are you ready for this latest development?  Sit down and fasten your seatbelts.  The film that aired against ALICE B. TOKLAS, which was CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF (with commercials) on ME-TV, did come in at number ten on the list.

So what does that tell us?  That people are not watching something they don't consider a true essential and that they going off to see what the competition has to offer...?  Is ME-TV cutting in on TCM’s action?

We will attempt to answer all these questions and more on the next episode of News.

This has been Less Classics Nessman. And now back to Dr. Johnny Apollo Fever on KTCM.

"And that's the way it should be!" -Maj. Wild Bill Donovan (George Brent) The Fighting 69th

When tcm programmers decide to put the kibosh on this half uh keestered european french-slanted eclectic kick of theirs and once again put on the stuff that we wanna see and not WHAT THEY WANNA SEE then maybe they will get a different outcome. WE'RE THE VIEWING AUDIENCE. Maybe tcm should start reminding themselves of that.

334p88w.jpg

#2340 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

ALICE B. TOKLAS had a plum spot in primetime last night on TCM. For those who read the threads in the Essentials area, there has already been considerable discussion about whether this film, selected by Drew Barrymore, was in fact a true essential.

And now comes news that this film did not even crack the top ten of most-searched titles on the database yesterday, suggesting it did not really appeal to most viewers. BLOW UP, a second installment of Essentials, with a much later time slot, easily hit number one.

But, are you ready for this latest development?  Sit down and fasten your seatbelts.  The film that aired against ALICE B. TOKLAS, which was CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF (with commercials) on ME-TV, did come in at number ten on the list.

So what does that tell us?  That people are not watching something they don't consider a true essential and that they going off to see what the competition has to offer...?  Is ME-TV cutting in on TCM’s action?

We will attempt to answer all these questions and more on the next episode of News.

This has been Less Classics Nessman. And now back to Dr. Johnny Apollo Fever on KTCM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users