We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

• Please log in to reply
2341 replies to this topic

#41 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:06 AM

Thursday February 23, 2017

screen-shot-2017-02-23-at-8-04-57-am.png

Errol Flynn in the 1940s on TCM

SAN ANTONIO with Alexis Smith

THE SEA HAWK with Brenda Marshall

• rayban likes this

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#42 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:28 PM

His performance in "Hobson's Choice" is one of "cinema's miracles".

They're all so great in HOBSON'S CHOICE. One of David Lean's very best.

• midwestan and rayban like this

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#43 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:45 PM

Wednesday February 22, 2017

screen-shot-2017-02-22-at-6-29-20-am.png

John Mills’ 109th birthday on FilmStruck

GREAT EXPECTATIONS with Jean Simmons

HOBSON’S CHOICE with Charles Laughton

TIGER BAY with Horst Buchholz

TUNES OF GLORY with Alec Guinness

His performance in "Hobson's Choice" is one of "cinema's miracles".

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#44 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:32 AM

Wednesday February 22, 2017

screen-shot-2017-02-22-at-6-29-20-am.png

John Mills’ 109th birthday on FilmStruck

GREAT EXPECTATIONS with Jean Simmons

HOBSON’S CHOICE with Charles Laughton

TIGER BAY with Horst Buchholz

TUNES OF GLORY with Alec Guinness

• rayban likes this

#45 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:31 PM

Yea Mildred Pierce is his most famous film due to Crawford winning an Oscar.    Scott was in many fine films and I wish TCM would have shown at least 4 films instead of just 2:

He made an impression in his first film The Mask of Dimitrios even with this film revolving mostly around the Lorre \ Greenstreet team. 

The Unfaithful - the semi remake of The Letter.

Shadow on the Wall -  Minor role for him but Ann Sothern has a unique role.

Born to be Bad -  Showcase for Joan Fontaine but Scott is good at playing the confused 'who do I love' man.

Lighting Strikes Twice -  must see for Ruth Roman fans with a minor role for Scott.

One film I haven't seen is Appointment in Honduras but I would like too with a cast of Ann Sheridan,  Glenn Ford and Scott.

Another good one is LET'S MAKE IT LEGAL, done on loan to Fox, where he plays Claudette Colbert's new suitor despite her ex-husband's objections. And I also like the noir classic RUTHLESS he did at Eagle-Lion. 

APPOINTMENT IN HONDURAS has some good action sequences, but his role is under-developed because it's a Glenn Ford picture.

• jamesjazzguitar likes this

#46 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,281 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:40 PM

I would agree. It probably is. Though Warners used him often as a cad in various melodramas and film noir.

Yea Mildred Pierce is his most famous film due to Crawford winning an Oscar.    Scott was in many fine films and I wish TCM would have shown at least 4 films instead of just 2:

He made an impression in his first film The Mask of Dimitrios even with this film revolving mostly around the Lorre \ Greenstreet team. 

The Unfaithful - the semi remake of The Letter.

Shadow on the Wall -  Minor role for him but Ann Sothern has a unique role.

Born to be Bad -  Showcase for Joan Fontaine but Scott is good at playing the confused 'who do I love' man.

Lighting Strikes Twice -  must see for Ruth Roman fans with a minor role for Scott.

One film I haven't seen is Appointment in Honduras but I would like too with a cast of Ann Sheridan,  Glenn Ford and Scott.

• TopBilled and midwestan like this

#47 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:50 PM

His role in "Mildred Pierce" is probably his most memorable.

I would agree. It probably is. Though Warners used him often as a cad in various melodramas and film noir.

• rayban likes this

#48 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:38 AM

Tuesday February 21, 2017

screen-shot-2017-02-21-at-6-33-14-am1.pn

Zachary Scott’s 103rd birthday on Amazon Prime

THE SOUTHERNER with Betty Field

TREASURE OF RUBY HILLS with Carole Mathews

His role in "Mildred Pierce" is probably his most memorable.

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#49 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:35 AM

Tuesday February 21, 2017

screen-shot-2017-02-21-at-6-33-14-am1.pn

Zachary Scott’s 103rd birthday on Amazon Prime

THE SOUTHERNER with Betty Field

TREASURE OF RUBY HILLS with Carole Mathews

• BelleLeGrand1 and rayban like this

#50 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:39 AM

Monday February 20, 2017

screen-shot-2017-02-20-at-6-42-23-am1.pn

Robert Altman’s 92nd birthday on FilmStruck

THE LONG GOODBYE with Elliott Gould

SECRET HONOR with Philip Baker Hall

VINCENT & THEO with Tim Roth

THE PLAYER with Tim Robbins

"The Player" with Tim Robbins will always be a mesmerizing must-see.

• TopBilled likes this

#51 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:45 AM

Monday February 20, 2017

screen-shot-2017-02-20-at-6-42-23-am1.pn

Robert Altman’s 92nd birthday on FilmStruck

THE LONG GOODBYE with Elliott Gould

SECRET HONOR with Philip Baker Hall

VINCENT & THEO with Tim Roth

THE PLAYER with Tim Robbins

• rayban likes this

#52 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:08 AM

Sunday February 19, 2017

screen-shot-2017-02-18-at-11-09-44-pm.pn

70s classics on TCM

OH, GOD! with George Burns

THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES with Clint Eastwood

PAPILLON with Steve McQueen

screen-shot-2017-02-18-at-11-00-13-pm.pn

• rayban likes this

#53 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:22 AM

Saturday February 18, 2017

screen-shot-2017-02-18-at-7-06-09-am.png

Adolphe Menjou’s 127th birthday on FilmStruck

A WOMAN OF PARIS with Edna Purviance

PATHS OF GLORY with Kirk Douglas

He had a long and distinguished career in Hollywood films.

• TopBilled likes this

#54 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:12 AM

Saturday February 18, 2017

screen-shot-2017-02-18-at-7-06-09-am.png

Adolphe Menjou’s 127th birthday on FilmStruck

A WOMAN OF PARIS with Edna Purviance

PATHS OF GLORY with Kirk Douglas

• rayban likes this

#55 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:23 AM

Exceptional actor, he should always be seen in "Zorba The Greek" and "Nijinsky".

Alan Bates is someone who should definitely receive an all-day Summer Under the Stars tribute. So many good performances in the films he made.

• rayban likes this

#56 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:21 AM

Friday February 17, 2017

screen-shot-2017-02-17-at-7-38-44-am.png

Alan Bates’ 83rd birthday on Amazon Prime

WE THINK THE WORLD OF YOU with Gary Oldman

SILENT TONGUE with Richard Harris

Exceptional actor, he should always be seen in "Zorba The Greek" and "Nijinsky".

• TopBilled likes this

#57 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:40 AM

Friday February 17, 2017

screen-shot-2017-02-17-at-7-38-44-am.png

Alan Bates’ 83rd birthday on Amazon Prime

WE THINK THE WORLD OF YOU with Gary Oldman

SILENT TONGUE with Richard Harris

• rayban likes this

#58 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:17 AM

Thursday February 16, 2017

screen-shot-2017-02-16-at-6-13-48-am.png

Magnificent movies on TCM

THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS with Tim Holt

MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION with Jane Wyman

THE MAGNIFICENT YANKEE with Louis Calhern

• rayban likes this

#59 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 09:11 AM

Wednesday February 15, 2017

screen-shot-2017-02-15-at-7-08-50-am.png

Claire Bloom’s 86th birthday on FilmStruck

LIMELIGHT with Charlie Chaplin

RICHARD III with Laurence Olivier

LOOK BACK IN ANGER with Richard Burton 

#60 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,163 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

How Ginger Rogers could have walked out on Dennis Morgan is beyond me!

Yes, LOL, it's one of life's greater mysteries.

• rayban likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users