We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Favorite PreCode Women

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 mrroberts

mrroberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Locationpennsylvania

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

Just who are those two bums making time with my girl?   I'll moider dem! :angry:

#42 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,002 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

I don't have the knack for posting pictures but my fav pre code lady is definitely Noel Francis, who was never a big star but did many memorable appearances in films, most notably as "Linda" in the classic I AM A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG.

Here's an image of your favourite, mrroberts:

31596b40-766a-4c75-9217-3fac674b1cf7_zps

noelfrancis1.jpg

• hepclassic likes this

#43 mrroberts

mrroberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Locationpennsylvania

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

The great James Cagney film BLONDE CRAZY  (his next starring role after doing PUBLIC ENEMY)    has  both Joan Blondell  and my gal Noel Francis.  Noel, has usual, plays the "bad" girl.

• Dialogfan likes this

#44 hepclassic

hepclassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

Joan Blondell is always fun to watch--so sassy! Jean Harlow and Una Merkel make a very good team in Red Headed Woman. Jean Harlow almost seemed made for pre-codes--her persona lost something after the code was enforced. I still like her, but it's not the same. I'll watch Ann HArding anytime--she brings a sort of integrity and realness to her roles, especially Animal Kingdom and When Ladies Meet

It was hard to cool the blunt assertiveness that made her so likable. 

• Dialogfan likes this

"Sometimes you have to look at a person and see that he's doing the best he can." Katharine Hepburn as Ethel Thayer in 1981's "On Golden Pond."

#45 hepclassic

hepclassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

Joan Blondell is amazing too! I loved her in Gold Diggers of 1933. I have yet to see her dramas. 

• Dialogfan likes this

"Sometimes you have to look at a person and see that he's doing the best he can." Katharine Hepburn as Ethel Thayer in 1981's "On Golden Pond."

#46 traceyk65

traceyk65

Is this where the club meets?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

Joan Blondell is always fun to watch--so sassy! Jean Harlow and Una Merkel make a very good team in Red Headed Woman. Jean Harlow almost seemed made for pre-codes--her persona lost something after the code was enforced. I still like her, but it's not the same. I'll watch Ann HArding anytime--she brings a sort of integrity and realness to her roles, especially Animal Kingdom and When Ladies Meet

• hepclassic likes this

"If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased." Katharine Hepburn 

#47 traceyk65

traceyk65

Is this where the club meets?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

Joan Blondell is always fun to watch--so sassy! Jean Harlow and Una Merkel make a very good team in Red Headed Woman.  I'll watch Ann HArding anytime--she brings a sort of integrity and realness to her roles, especially Animal Kingdom and When Ladies Meet

• hepclassic and Dialogfan like this

"If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased." Katharine Hepburn 

#48 mrroberts

mrroberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  • Locationpennsylvania

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

I don't have the knack for posting pictures but my fav pre code lady is definitely Noel Francis, who was never a big star but did many memorable appearances in films, most notably as "Linda" in the classic I AM A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG.

• hepclassic and Dialogfan like this

#49 hepclassic

hepclassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:46 AM

Of those I've seen, I'd probably have to go with Barbara Stanwyck, particularly in Baby Face. I also like the free range and the depth of Theresa Harris, who got a lot out of the Pre-Codes before the Code came in. Also, Norma Shearer in anything Pre-Code, The Divorcee being my favorite. 

Who is your favorite? 

Attached File  babyface_5.jpg   14.96KB   0 downloads 

Attached File  shearer295.jpg   46.12KB   0 downloads

• Tisher Price likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users