We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Please include more silent films in the Essentials.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:05 PM

They could have done Captain Blood in technicolor. Although I understand the risk involved,as Jack was already sticking his neck out,by starring 2 unknows in a big production to begin with. I hate that The Sea Hawk wasn't done in color...not to mention de Haviland isn't in it. Missed opportunity there. I seriously wouldn't doubt it was Kalmus they didn't want to deal with. Boy was she a pain in the butt.

Yes, someone should make a documentary on the Kalmuses. They certainly were interesting.

I don't mind Brenda Marshall in THE SEA HAWK. Of course, Errol would work with her again in FOOTSTEPS IN THE DARK.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:47 PM

Watching Robin Hood reminds me of this skit (as do most early color films, actually...)

#3 Chris Pierce

Chris Pierce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:41 PM

Well CAPTAIN BLOOD was released in 1935, when most studios were still filming action pictures in black-and-white. Of course, that would soon change. At least we have ROBIN HOOD in glorious Technicolor.

Maybe Warner was cutting corners on the remake of THE SEA HAWK and he simply did not wish to allocate a greater budget for color. It's a shame, isn't it?

They could have done Captain Blood in technicolor. Although I understand the risk involved,as Jack was already sticking his neck out,by starring 2 unknows in a big production to begin with. I hate that The Sea Hawk wasn't done in color...not to mention de Haviland isn't in it. Missed opportunity there. I seriously wouldn't doubt it was Kalmus they didn't want to deal with. Boy was she a pain in the butt.

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:16 PM

I always wanted to see The Sea Hawk and Captain Blood in Technocolor. They were just made for it. I wonder if it was just Jack not wanting to spend the extra money,the cameras not being available for the dates,not wanting to put up with Natilie Kalmus,or a combination of the 3?

Well CAPTAIN BLOOD was released in 1935, when most studios were still filming action pictures in black-and-white. Of course, that would soon change. At least we have ROBIN HOOD in glorious Technicolor. 

Maybe Warner was cutting corners on the remake of THE SEA HAWK and he simply did not wish to allocate a greater budget for color. It's a shame, isn't it?

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 Chris Pierce

Chris Pierce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:49 PM

I think it may be a loose remake.

One thing that never made sense to me is why they didn't do the second version in Technicolor. Flynn had already been in Technicolor productions, and clearly a remake of THE SEA HAWK could have had the advantage of color over the original.

I always wanted to see The Sea Hawk and Captain Blood in Technocolor. They were just made for it. I wonder if it was just Jack not wanting to spend the extra money,the cameras not being available for the dates,not wanting to put up with Natilie Kalmus,or a combination of the 3?

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:48 PM

The sound version of THE SEA HAWK with Flynn will air on June 13th.

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:42 AM

Well, then I guess that means I should see it and compare.

I think it may be a loose remake.

One thing that never made sense to me is why they didn't do the second version in Technicolor. Flynn had already been in Technicolor productions, and clearly a remake of THE SEA HAWK could have had the advantage of color over the original.

• Chris Pierce likes this

#8 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:34 AM

It is a remake.

Well, then I guess that means I should see it and compare.

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:23 AM

Has anyone else seen the silent pirate movie The Sea Hawk? It was shown last year to kick off a month-long pirate movie theme, and I think it was, by far, the most quality picture in the set. It might be the best pirate movie I've ever seen, actually, though I'm no expert on the genre. I just always associate pirate movies as dull comic/action type movies that were made mostly for kids. This one seemed to take the whole thing more seriously (regardless of Wallace Beery's comic support.) It had an interesting plot line, fantastic sets and costumes (as opposed to the corny ones of later films), and it was one pirate movie I felt would appeal even to people who say they don't like "swashbucklers." Because it was a genuinely good film.

I don't know what inspires me to bring it up now. I just remember thinking how much the genre when downhill from that. Anyway, it's probably the most essential pirate I've ever seen, too, though it's fairly little-known. That's all. Carry on.

(P.S. I'm pretty sure the Errol Flynn movie of the same is not a remake, though I've never seen it.)

It is a remake. And TCM airs both these films, because having been made by Warner Brothers, they are in the TCM Library.

#10 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:16 AM

Has anyone else seen the silent pirate movie The Sea Hawk? It was shown last year to kick off a month-long pirate movie theme, and I think it was, by far, the most quality picture in the set. It might be the best pirate movie I've ever seen, actually, though I'm no expert on the genre. I just always associate pirate movies as dull comic/action type movies that were made mostly for kids. This one seemed to take the whole thing more seriously (regardless of Wallace Beery's comic support.) It had an interesting plot line, fantastic sets and costumes (as opposed to the corny ones of later films), and it was one pirate movie I felt would appeal even to people who say they don't like "swashbucklers." Because it was a genuinely good film.

I don't know what inspires me to bring it up now. I just remember thinking how much the genre when downhill from that. Anyway, it's probably the most essential pirate I've ever seen, too, though it's fairly little-known. That's all. Carry on.

(P.S. I'm pretty sure the Errol Flynn movie of the same is not a remake, though I've never seen it.)

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:38 PM

It should be. Sometimes I'm glad when films go into public domain,or I wouldn't even be able to have seen a lot of films otherwise.

Because they are free (obviously), TCM shows a number of public domain films. It's one way we get to see titles that would otherwise not be shown. Of course, the quality of the prints vary and so does the quality of the audio.

#12 Chris Pierce

Chris Pierce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:34 PM

Yes, to me, that is one of the main purposes of Turner Classic Movies-- what Ted Turner envisioned-- to bring these films out of the vaults and to a wider audience. That should be part of their mission.

It should be. Sometimes I'm glad when films go into public domain,or I wouldn't even be able to have seen a lot of films otherwise.

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:02 PM

That movie is so overplayed. I don't understand why so many silent films get buried like nuts from a squirrel. And not just TCM,but I can't even find half the films that exist available for viewing. To me,people should be good ambassadors for filmdom...and put it out there on a wide basis. Treating it like some prized treasure,only a silent film clique is worthy of viewing irritates me to no end.

Yes, to me, that is one of the main purposes of Turner Classic Movies-- what Ted Turner envisioned-- to bring these films out of the vaults and to a wider audience. That should be part of their mission.

• Chris Pierce and Ace of Hearts like this

#14 Chris Pierce

Chris Pierce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:53 PM

Well, I think they premiered the restored version of METROPOLIS at the TCM Film Festival a few years ago-- so I can see why they are partial to repeating it. But as you indicated, there are many other worthy silent films deserving of air time too. And only a few hours on a Sunday evening are set aside for this series as it is.

That movie is so overplayed. I don't understand why so many silent films get buried like nuts from a squirrel. And not just TCM,but I can't even find half the films that exist available for viewing. To me,people should be good ambassadors for filmdom...and put it out there on a wide basis. Treating it like some prized treasure,only a silent film clique is worthy of viewing irritates me to no end.
  • Ace of Hearts likes this

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:14 PM

Thanks! It's good to be here.

I do hope that the programmers get more open-minded. I mean, I like Metropolis on an aesthetic level, but there are much better silent films they could pick.

Well, I think they premiered the restored version of METROPOLIS at the TCM Film Festival a few years ago-- so I can see why they are partial to repeating it. But as you indicated, there are many other worthy silent films deserving of air time too. And only a few hours on a Sunday evening are set aside for this series as it is.

#16 Ace of Hearts

Ace of Hearts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:10 PM

Completely agree. And you provided a good list the programmers should consider. 

Personally, I think they get a bit lazy and fall into patterns of playing the same, most recognizable household names. But there is no reason why most of these other films can't air, too.

By the way, welcome to the boards. :)

Thanks! It's good to be here.

I do hope that the programmers get more open-minded. I mean, I like Metropolis on an aesthetic level, but there are much better silent films they could pick.

• TopBilled likes this

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:57 PM

The silent era was arguably the richest in cinematic history. All TCM ever seems to pay attention to are Chaplin and Metropolis. There's so much more though!

Completely agree. And you provided a good list the programmers should consider. 

Personally, I think they get a bit lazy and fall into patterns of playing the same, most recognizable household names. But there is no reason why most of these other films can't air, too.

By the way, welcome to the boards. :)

• Ace of Hearts likes this

#18 Ace of Hearts

Ace of Hearts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:44 PM

The silent era was arguably the richest in cinematic history. All TCM ever seems to pay attention to are Chaplin and Metropolis. There's so much more though!

Here are a few suggestions:

The General

The Passion of Joan of Arc

Wings

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

The Unknown

The Crowd

Pandora's Box

The Toll Gate (smashes the idea that morally ambiguous heroes in westerns were not a thing before the 50s and 60s)

Show People

The Gold Rush

Flesh and the Devil

Nosferatu

The Penalty

Scaramouche (in my opinion superior to the sound remake)

Safety Last!

Foolish Wives

The Goddess

The Oyster Princess

Michael Strogoff

Waxworks

And more besides! Silent films are given the shaft way too often. TCM needs to give them more representation in the prime time, not just at the crack of dawn or Sunday nights (though I am grateful for SIlent Sunday nights, don't get me wrong).

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,943 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:34 PM

Only 4? How could there be only 4 silent films on their list?
Some of the best films I've ever seen were from the pre-sound era. TCM in my opinion,is 100% dead wrong about that.

Welcome to the message boards, Chris Pierce!

Hopefully TCM will add more essential silent films to this series.

• Chris Pierce likes this

#20 Chris Pierce

Chris Pierce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:42 PM

Only 4? How could there be only 4 silent films on their list?
Some of the best films I've ever seen were from the pre-sound era. TCM in my opinion,is 100% dead wrong about that.
  • mr6666 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users