We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Silent Sundays - July, 2014

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 midwestan

midwestan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

I had never seen Pandora's Box until last night, and even then, it was on so late that I couldn't stay up to watch all of it.  What I did see (first 45 minutes), I liked very much.  Too bad Louise Brooks never made a bigger splash in Hollywood, but after reading her IMDB bio, I guess it just wasn't in the cards.  Has anyone seen any of her talkies?  I haven't, so I was just wondering if it was her voice that was as much a detriment to her career as it was her attitude toward the motion picture industry in general.

#2 1kaleman

1kaleman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

Lulu should never had that Christmas kiss under the mistletoe!

#3 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationThe Golden State

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

airs late Sun., 7-27

12:15 AM
134 min
silent

A young innocent's sexuality destroys all who come near her.

DirG. W. Pabst CastLouise Brooks , Fritz Kortner , Daisy D'Ora .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: G. W. Pabst. Louise Brooks, Fritz Kortner, Franz (Francis) Lederer, Carl Goetz.

"Hypnotic silent film stars legendary Brooks as flower girl who becomes protegee--then wife--of editor, with bizarre and unexpected consequences. Striking sexuality and drama, with Brooks an unforgettable Lulu. Scripters Pabst and Laszlo Wajda adapted two plays by Franz Wedekind."

Pandora%27s_Box_%281929_movie_poster%29.

Thanks for the advance notice.  Watching Louise Brooks in this is always a treat.

• mr6666 likes this

Bring the boy an eggnog.  Two eggs.

#4 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,332 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

airs late Sun., 7-27

12:15 AM
134 min
silent

A young innocent's sexuality destroys all who come near her.

DirG. W. Pabst CastLouise Brooks , Fritz Kortner , Daisy D'Ora .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: G. W. Pabst. Louise Brooks, Fritz Kortner, Franz (Francis) Lederer, Carl Goetz.

"Hypnotic silent film stars legendary Brooks as flower girl who becomes protegee--then wife--of editor, with bizarre and unexpected consequences. Striking sexuality and drama, with Brooks an unforgettable Lulu. Scripters Pabst and Laszlo Wajda adapted two plays by Franz Wedekind."

Pandora%27s_Box_%281929_movie_poster%29.

• TheGayDivorcee likes this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#5 twtpark

twtpark

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

No fan of Silents. But if i see a few more like "The Trail of 98" I will be!It had everything. Stunning visuals. No words were needed.The amazing Cooper River Rapids scenes. No wonder they were so realistic. Four stuntmen were killed filming them...the climb up dangerous and snowyChikoot Pass  where hundreds of the Gold Fever prospectors looked like tiny ants crawling...the avalanche...the fight between Forbes abd Carey. Now That was a brawl!This almost forgotten last of the MGM Silents will certainly be remembered by TCMers after viewing. And one more thing..Director Clarence Brown sure knew his stuff!

#6 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,332 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

airing Sun., 7-13

12:00 AM
88 min
silent

San Francisco boys risk their lives to scout gold in the Klondike.

DirClarence Brown CastDolores Del Rio , Ralph Forbes , Karl Dane .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Clarence Brown. Dolores Del Rio, Ralph Forbes, Karl Dane, Harry Carey, Tully Marshall, George Cooper, Russell Simpson, Emily Fitzroy.

"Celebrated silent epic charting the effects of gold fever on various characters who leave home and embark on a grueling trek to Alaska during the Klondike gold rush of 1898. You can practically feel the bitter wind and freezing snow in this entertaining "Northern Western,'' with a vivid you-are-there quality and several spectacular scenes."

trail_of_98_poster_B.jpg

#7 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,332 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:48 AM

late Sun., 7-6

12:00 AM
97 min
silent
Kiki (1926)

A Parisian dancer vies with a glamorous actress for a producer's heart.

DirClarence Brown CastNorma Talmadge , Ronald Colman , Gertrude Astor .

(click title for article link)

kikinewspaperad.jpg

#8 twtpark

twtpark

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

Ahhhh...."Pandora's Box" on July 27. I will watch again. The kiss under the mistletoe is so memorable.Stays with you.

#9 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,332 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users