We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Half-way through this year's SUTS-- favorite days so far...?

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:23 PM

I haven't seen The Impatient Years.    Wish TCM would show it.  

Also,  today being Boyer day I was hoping they would show History Is Made at Night.    Oh, well I got my Jean fix yesterday!  

HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT was on Hulu when I checked recently. THE IMPATIENT YEARS is a Columbia picture, and it was the last one Jean Arthur made under her long contract with Harry Cohn. Her leading man was much younger-- Lee Bowman. It's not as well-known, but it has some good moments, and Coburn is his usual scene-stealing self.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:05 PM

Charles Coburn had a Summer Under the Stars day in 2013. As you probably know, he made three films with Jean Arthur-- THE DEVIL AND MISS JONES; THE MORE THE MERRIER; and THE IMPATIENT YEARS.

I haven't seen The Impatient Years.    Wish TCM would show it.  

Also,  today being Boyer day I was hoping they would show History Is Made at Night.    Oh, well I got my Jean fix yesterday!  

• TopBilled likes this

#3 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,886 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:20 AM

Good one tonight at 8 EDT. The rarely shown EASY LIVING (1937)

Sorry I missed it. This was the first Jean Arthur film I'd ever seen (many years ago) and a special favorite of mine. :(

• TopBilled likes this

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:30 PM

I’m watching The More the Merrier starring Jean Arthur and Charles Coburn. Charles Coburn is always fun to watch. I wonder has Charles Coburn been a SOTM or had a day in SUTS?

Charles Coburn had a Summer Under the Stars day in 2013. As you probably know, he made three films with Jean Arthur-- THE DEVIL AND MISS JONES; THE MORE THE MERRIER; and THE IMPATIENT YEARS.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 Miss J

Miss J

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:05 PM

I’m watching The More the Merrier starring Jean Arthur and Charles Coburn. Charles Coburn is always fun to watch. I wonder has Charles Coburn been a SOTM or had a day in SUTS?

• TopBilled likes this

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:31 PM

Yes, it's one of Jean Arthur's best.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-28%2Bat%2B3.27.3

#7 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,507 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:19 PM

• TopBilled likes this

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

I'm looking forward to watching James Garner's first offering of his day, "Mr. Buddwing".  I've only seen it twice.  First time I really didn't get it, but it was interesting enough for me to stick with it.  Second time I was struck by the supporting performances of Jean Simmons, Angela Lansbury, and Suzanne Pleshette--they were all very good.

Good point(s). I think MR. BUDDWING is one of those films that does have to be watched more than once. There are multiple layers within the story, and it's easy to miss some of it the first time.

#9 midwestan

midwestan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:56 PM

I thought they would show Victor/Victoria on James Garner day but I guess TCM felt they showed that enough times this year already.

I'm looking forward to watching James Garner's first offering of his day, "Mr. Buddwing".  I've only seen it twice.  First time I really didn't get it, but it was interesting enough for me to stick with it.  Second time I was struck by the supporting performances of Jean Simmons, Angela Lansbury, and Suzanne Pleshette--they were all very good.

• TopBilled likes this

#10 Miss J

Miss J

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:01 PM

Favorite Days: Edward G. Robinson, Bing Crosby, Jean Harlow, Anne Baxter, Esther Williams, Humphrey Bogart, Bette Davis, Hedy Lamarr and Spencer Tracy. I’m looking forward to Boris Karloff and Jean Arthur days. I thought they would show Victor/Victoria on James Garner day but I guess TCM felt they showed that enough times this year already.

• TopBilled likes this

#11 BelleLeGrand1

BelleLeGrand1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:19 PM

If you like Mae West, Night After Night is definitely a must-see.  Her scenes with Alison Skipworth are a hoot!  I wish we'd have seen her in more roles like this one.

It's also a rare opportunity for TCM viewers to see Wynne Gibson, one of my favorite pre-code bad girls.

And, George Raft makes a nice debut in a starring role as well.  He's not "wooden" here, as he usually isn't in his pre-code days.  He is pretty memorable exiting a bathtub!

Ha!  I guess I was so stunned, I'd forgotten whether he was coming or going.

Just finished watching it again, and loved it, even if the ending is a bit abrupt. 

• TopBilled likes this

#12 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:45 AM

I'm recording a half dozen films from Cummings day. I think I may have seen a few of them, but cant remember. If so, I'll just delete them.

You'll have to tell us which ones you're not deleting. :)

#13 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:31 PM

My vote is for the Cyd Charisse Day. Or Humphrey Bogart Day.
  • TopBilled and film lover 293 like this

#14 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,886 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 August 2016 - 03:34 PM

I'm recording a half dozen films from Cummings day. I think I may have seen a few of them, but cant remember. If so, I'll just delete them.

• midnight08 and TopBilled like this

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 01:43 PM

I haven't seen too many of CC's films so I will be recording most of the day tomorrow. 

From a post I made in another thread--

Constance Cummings on TCM

August 24, 2016

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-05-20%2Bat%2B2.28.1

TRAVELING HUSBANDS (RKO)

HAUNTED HONEYMOON (MGM)

THE MIND READER (WB)

THIS MAN IS MINE (RKO)

FINGER OF GUILT (RKO)

IN THE COOL OF THE DAY (MGM)

THE BIG TIMER (COL)

ATTORNEY FOR THE DEFENSE (COL)

THE GUILTY GENERATION (COL)

BROADWAY THRU A KEYHOLE (UA)

NIGHT AFTER NIGHT (PAR)

AMERICAN MADNESS (COL)

SEVEN SINNERS (GAU)

MOVIE CRAZY (PAR)

THE CRIMINAL CODE (COL)

RKO=Radio Pictures; MGM=Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer; WB=Warner Brothers; COL=Columbia; UA=United Artists; PAR=Paramount; GAU=Gaumont.

• lydecker likes this

#16 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 23 August 2016 - 11:13 AM

I know nothing about Constance Cummings but I am looking forward to her day.  Any suggestions??

"The Mind Reader" is fun (and Warren William and Allen Jenkins steal the show) and "The Guilty 

Generation" is worth a look-see just to see Boris Karloff playing a mobster. "American Madness"

is a great film, too.

I haven't seen too many of CC's films so I will be recording most of the day tomorrow.  To me,

honoring Constance Cummings is what SUTS should be more about  --  Stars whose work you

are less familiar with so it's great fun to finally see them in action.

Lydecker

• mr6666, midnight08 and TopBilled like this

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:32 AM

I know nothing about Constance Cummings but I am looking forward to her day.  Any suggestions??

Make sure you watch MOVIE CRAZY. It's a Paramount film TCM rarely shows, and she's very good in it.

#18 FItzMularkey

FItzMularkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:23 AM

• TopBilled likes this

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:19 AM

I agree that Frank Morgan does an acceptable job so it isn't like he is totally miscast like Davis in Mr. Skeffington (ha ha).    But I still say someone like Marshall or Powell would have been a better fit for the role,  especially when one looks at the male rival (Montgomery).  

Maybe we're seeing the publisher differently than the playwright had intended with the original material. Perhaps the idea is that the publisher is older and more established, and compared to the younger guy, he seems more stable (even if he's not). I think we're to assume Myrna's character is captivated by what an older man can offer, instead of someone her age who doesn't have a career. So it's more than just physical attraction; plus she's looking for a father figure, not a brother she can quarrel with all the time. If this is the case, then the actor who plays the publisher does not have to be amazingly handsome; though it does seem to work better with Herbert Marshall who is a little more suave and cultured.

#20 rosebette

rosebette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:31 PM

Strangely enough -- Ann Baxter day was one of my favorites.  I think she was an underrated actress who brought an honesty to her performance.  I also love her voice, sweet and husky.  I enjoyed catching a few films I had never seen -- Swamp Water and The North Star.

Janet Gaynor day was interesting.  I enjoyed the late silent films she made with Charles Farrell.  Cinematography was at its peak in some of those films -- they were quite beautiful and moving.  Once sound came in, some of those early talkies are unwatchable, as if the camera forgot how to move...

James Edwards day was also excellent.  Home of the Brave was so powerful and moving, as much about the bonding among the men in the unit and the effects of combat, as about racism.  The Set-Up was brilliant -- hard-hitting -- no pun intended, what a gem.  I tried to stay up through Bright Victory, but it was too late, even on a vacation night.  That evening made me think about some of the risk-taking and ground-breaking films that were coming out of the late 40s and early 50s.

• kingrat, TopBilled and film lover 293 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users