We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Rain (1932)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:37 AM

I agree with the praise above. Crawford is perfect and there's not a weak moment in the supporting performances. In this print it's trimmed so short that you almost have to already know it's there, but Huston's last moments are outrageous - cocking his head slightly as the drums swell and twitching slightly as he apparently fights against surrendering to a pagan Pago Pago dance. Some people criticize Huston's stiff (sorry), abrasive performance, even calling it a "caricature," but I grew up in a tiny town dominated by an evangelistic church and I witnessed this sort of predatory behavior. Huston nails it. Given the 35-40 year difference, Huston probably underplays the role.

In the re-make, Rita Hayworth and Jose Ferrer were also an interesting combo.

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#2 jdbandytcm

jdbandytcm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:09 PM

I agree with the praise above. Crawford is perfect and there's not a weak moment in the supporting performances. In this print it's trimmed so short that you almost have to already know it's there, but Huston's last moments are outrageous - cocking his head slightly as the drums swell and twitching slightly as he apparently fights against surrendering to a pagan Pago Pago dance. Some people criticize Huston's stiff (sorry), abrasive performance, even calling it a "caricature," but I grew up in a tiny town dominated by an evangelistic church and I witnessed this sort of predatory behavior. Huston nails it. Given the 35-40 year difference, Huston probably underplays the role.
  • TopBilled, cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

#3 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

From what I've read, Joan Crawford didn't have a very good opinion of the movie

Maybe because it performed badly at the box office.

And she wanted Clark Gable as her co-star.

• TopBilled and cinemaspeak59 like this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#4 nakano

nakano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

Good but the Gloria Swanson version is better.

and she was absolutely stunning in the movie,if she was not the most gorgeous of the silent era she must have been very close for the title...

• TopBilled likes this

#5 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:23 PM

It's a terrific film that stays true to Somerset Maugham's short story.  The performance are great, and the sets and overall production evoke the tropics beautifully. It's one of my favorite Pre-Code films as well.

• rayban and jdbandytcm like this

#6 Tisher Price

Tisher Price

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:19 PM

Oh it is very good, I didn't know there was a Rita H. version. I liked the one with Joan Crawford and Walter Huston. I part of me roots for Sadie cos Huston's character I truly disliked--though well played....if I didn't like him, then Huston didn;t do a good job, but he did. I always thought the character overreacted when Sadie did anything so much as blink...maybe he had a secret attraction to her. This truly a great pre-code movie, cos at the end, "evil" wins and Sadie's back to her old self and the "good" perished after committing the rape. I can't remember one of Sadie's last lines. It was when Huston's wife apologized for what he did to her, and Sadie, with no real malice in her heart says something to the effect of "I feel sorry for everyone today" or something along those lines. Great movie, a fave Joan Crawford movie (her hair colour is even different, and I seem to recall her saying she didn't like the which is closer to her real hair colour when she didn't dye it dark--she's a natural freckled faced red head!) Watch it! Watch it!

• TopBilled and cinemaspeak59 like this

​"Ya unn't gonna sell this house, an' ya unn't gonna leave it EITHER!"--​Bette Davis as Jane Hudson in What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? (1962)

#7 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:49 AM

As an early pre-code version of some very controversial subject-matter, Lewis Milestone's "Rain" is a terrific film.

Joan Crawford gives a mesmerizing performance.

And William Gargan is very good, too.

About the Rita Hayworth version, wasn't it originally filmed in 3-D and intended to be a musical version of the material?

• cinemaspeak59 and jdbandytcm like this

#8 Vidor

Vidor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:14 AM

Good but the Gloria Swanson version is better.

#9 HomesoulM

HomesoulM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:04 AM

I had seen scenes that was from the silent version of Miss Sadie Thompson starring Gloria Swanson. For example the natives who found the body of the religious man.

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,135 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:02 AM

I would like to echo the sentiments of others who are praising the virtues of the 1932 version. It was a rare loan out for Crawford during her MGM years. The production has a few creaky moments, betraying stage origins. But Crawford is really great, and so is the rest of the cast. I love the way Milestone includes those poetic shots of the landscape. 

This is easily in my top five favorite pre-code films. It's one of those pictures that I go back to often that seems to bring even deeper pleasure. 

The main thing the Hayworth version has over this one is Technicolor, but color is not necessary to tell this story.

• cinemaspeak59, rayban, Tisher Price and 1 other like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#11 mistervegan

mistervegan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Locationmilwaukee, wisconsin

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:19 PM

'A prostitute finds redemption in Pago Pago thanks to a hard (boldface mine) missionary man'.

i cannot believe the brief description (tagline) of this movie is posted on the imdb.

somebody ought to fix it.         :lol:

• hepclassic likes this

#12 hepclassic

hepclassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:29 PM

MISS SADIE THOMPSON (1953) was the Rita H. version.

Thank you roverrocks! 

"Sometimes you have to look at a person and see that he's doing the best he can." Katharine Hepburn as Ethel Thayer in 1981's "On Golden Pond."

#13 roverrocks

roverrocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  • LocationMontrose, Colorado

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:24 PM

When did the Rita Hayworth version come out again? 

MISS SADIE THOMPSON (1953) was the Rita H. version.

• hepclassic likes this

#14 hepclassic

hepclassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:14 PM

When did the Rita Hayworth version come out again? 

"Sometimes you have to look at a person and see that he's doing the best he can." Katharine Hepburn as Ethel Thayer in 1981's "On Golden Pond."

#15 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

I have seen the Rita Hayworth version and don't think it hold's a candle to the Crawford/Huston version.  Rita H. is not a favorite actress of mine.  Gorgeous actress but not in Crawford's acting/screen persona league IMO.  I haven't seen the 1929 version and would very much like to.

Agree with you about Rita.   Just was fine if the role didn't call for much but when the part called for her to display a lot of emotion she often looked forced.    

I made an error when I said 1929.   I meant the 1932 Crawford/Huston version.    

#16 roverrocks

roverrocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:20 PM

I agree that this is a great movie and that the acting by Huston and Crawford was terrific.   Have you seen the Rita Hayworth version?  (I only ask this since you say you can't imagine anyone else in their roles).

That is a good remake but not as good as the 1929 one.

I have seen the Rita Hayworth version and don't think it hold's a candle to the Crawford/Huston version.  Rita H. is not a favorite actress of mine.  Gorgeous actress but not in Crawford's acting/screen persona league IMO.  I haven't seen the 1929 version and would very much like to.

#17 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:18 PM

A truly excellent film.  Not just "good" but great.  Huston and Crawford are terrific.  I can't imagine anybody else in their roles.  Probably my favorite Crawford film.

I agree that this is a great movie and that the acting by Huston and Crawford was terrific.   Have you seen the Rita Hayworth version?  (I only ask this since you say you can't imagine anyone else in their roles).

That is a good remake but not as good as the 1932 one.

#18 roverrocks

roverrocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

A truly excellent film.  Not just "good" but great.  Huston and Crawford are terrific.  I can't imagine anybody else in their roles.  Probably my favorite Crawford film.

• hepclassic, rayban, Tisher Price and 1 other like this

#19 hepclassic

hepclassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

I have yet to see this film, but just putting it out there, is it good? I saw a clip of Joan Crawford standing up to Walter Huston and really was taken by the performances. 

• Tisher Price likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users