We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

How to post a pic in easy steps, with pics!

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#1 im4cinema2

im4cinema2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:55 AM

To let you all know that ANY thumbnail/avatar photo you use to identify yourself the actor you chose is the voice I hear for your postings in my head.

#2 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Garsh!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,084 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:17 AM

I made these Now Playing Guide covers for the current Programming Challenge-- just dumping the thumbnails here so I can post them there. :)

Attached Files

#3 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Garsh!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,084 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:02 AM

Yay! I figured it out!

post-28048-0-77156200-1498256275.jpg

#4 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Garsh!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,084 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

You have to upload the picture to a photo-sharing site, and then copy it into your post. I use Photobucket; it's free, and I've never had an issue copying pictures from it.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh---thanks!

#5 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,721 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

How do you upload a picture from your computer onto a regular post without it just being a thumbnail? I tried it recently with this one and couldn't just get it to work

You have to upload the picture to a photo-sharing site, and then copy it into your post. I use Photobucket; it's free, and I've never had an issue copying pictures from it.

I'm a big boy.

#6 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Garsh!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,084 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:18 PM

See? just a thumbnail, alas--how do I make it appear regular size?

Attached Files

#7 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Garsh!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,084 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:17 PM

How do you upload a picture from your computer onto a regular post without it just being a thumbnail? I tried it recently with this one and couldn't just get it to work

#8 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:25 AM

But I still & after 17yrs on the net cannot simply edited an AVATAR? :angry:

Several have always tried to tell me & I very much want to do it, but still messed it up?

My top 3 would be of "The Great: Tracy"-(either "Black Rock" which is easily my A #1 choice. Or the shot from 1944's "A Guy Named Joe" with Bomber Jacket & no hat)

My distant # is SINATRA, but after he changed from the 1940's "Voice"   1950's or evn mid '60's would be super)

PLEASE DROP THIS LOST TCM-ITE A LINE

THANK YOU

#9 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:29 AM

slaytonf, Thanks so much for your response and help.  I was able to get an avatar with help from Azure who provided pix and their corresponding URLs.  Thanks to everyone for their efforts and I am most grateful.  Apparently, when you find a pix you want to use, the URL has to be complete in that you have to type in http://  and then all the other numbers/letters (some of which are in caps) perfectly.  For example, for the three John Gilbert pix Azure sent, the URL was:  http://i.imgur.com/ followed by various letters & numbers.  Whew!

#10 FrankieAnne

FrankieAnne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Locationon a ranch in north Northern California where I work but cell phones don't

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

I use Windows and trying to upload a picture from my computer did not work despite the fact that all the pictures I tried were the "right" size.  I tried multiple times.

The only method that worked for me was the URL one.  I uploaded a picture and then changed it as well.  I don't think the other method works - at least with Windows.  At least it didn't work for me!

#11 slaytonf

slaytonf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,872 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:49 AM

There's no reason to feel like an idiot if there's something wrong with the Web site.  I prefer not to have an avatar, but following your report of the trouble you have, I tried to download a photo.  I was able to install an avatar (of John Gilbert) from a Website by copying the image address and pasting it into the 'Import a photo from a URL'.  That is, you copy the address of the photo, not the website address--pardon me if I am falsely accusing you of copying the wrong address:

2192qti.png

I live in the Mac universe, so you will have to translate to Window speak.  I also tried using a picture from my computer, and as with you, I couldn't make it work.  I made sure the photo had the right extension (png), the right size (49 KB), and the right dimensions (210 x 220 px).  This is the pic I was trying to use as an avatar:

mhggma.png

Here's the info on that pic:

3038psh.png

Maybe someone can discover what I'm doing wrong.

#12 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:42 AM

Why is posting a picture as an avatar so difficult?  I have followed instructions/suggestions from TopBilled, Sansfin and others and it just isn't happening for me.  I'm not a computer genius but it seems like it should be easier.  I tried the URL thing and it wouldn't recognize it.  I downloaded into my computer a picture from a "free photo" website and it wouldn't come over even though I have the photo in My Documents and My Downloads in my Windows 10.  I give up; I can't believe it's so complicated and I feel like an idiot. (John Gilbert is the photo I want.)

#13 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:22 AM

I've still not done it, but haven't really tried again, Been busy, plus don't want to get frustrated again

My runner-up AVATAR would be of an image of SINATRA

#14 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:18 AM

James, I sure wan't to, but need coaching all the way pal

I have (3) avatars &  for months all set   Tracy in it all of them (not fond of 2 of them, but the one from A Gudy Named Joe is settled on

with Bomber Jacket, BUT

My A #! world though be of"Black RocK

(RUNERS-UP: Sinatra, but only in the mid 1955 p[ost Ava Years, when he & Capitol , produced some of the all-time greatest number! 165 or so)

WHEN YOU GET ANOTHER MINUTE, PLEASE ASSIST
US TCM-ITES Must stick together, with what I seen on it's horizon

THANK

• spence likes this

#15 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,446 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:03 PM

Hey everybody, Slaytonf was kind enough to point out to me in a private message that linking to your LinkedIn photo can have security issues. So think twice about following my instructions for uploading your pic.

Yes,  clearly if people find someone on LinkedIn a lot of personal info is disclosed that one may NOT wish disclosed at this forum.

Oh,  and that sound advise was perfect coming for your avatar,  John Garfield;   Sadly that man's right to privacy was invaded and many believe the associated stress lead to his early death.    Garfield was unique and a fine actor.

#16 im4cinema2

im4cinema2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:44 AM

What ever photo you choose for your profile pic/avatar what ever your statement will be heard in my mind of the star your picked.

#17 JPepperDC

JPepperDC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:07 PM

Hey everybody, Slaytonf was kind enough to point out to me in a private message that linking to your LinkedIn photo can have security issues. So think twice about following my instructions for uploading your pic.

#18 slaytonf

slaytonf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,872 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:19 PM

Thanks for your response.  I did it mostly for others interested in posting a pic, as I, being the retiring type, demur.  Looks like you operate in the Microsoft universe.  For Apple-freaks, select the pic, at the bottom of the menu click on Copy Image Address for the info to post.

#19 JPepperDC

JPepperDC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 11:57 AM

there are two ways TCM says you can attach a pic to your profile. The first one, by simply uploading a pic from your computer, does not work. The second option, to enter a URL (website link with your photo), is the only option that works. So you might be thinking "what websites have my photo on them?" Well, if you have a photo on your Facebook page or on a site like LinkedIn, then you have what you need. In my case, I went to my LinkedIn profile, put the cursor over my pic and hit right click. A box opens and you scroll down and click "properties." Another box opens and in the middle of that box shows the website address for your photo (the URL). Double click and copy and paste that URL into box on the TCM website where it says "enter the URL here." And that should work. Good luck!!

#20 slaytonf

slaytonf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,872 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:50 PM

Any way to post your discoveries?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users