We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

How to post a pic in easy steps, with pics!

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#101 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,484 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:26 AM

Awesome. Now how do you embed a video?

Just copy the address line of your YouTube video of choice, type in left bracket "[", the word "media" and right bracket "]",  and then paste that address after it, and then end that pasted address line with those same brackets and "/media" between them...not including any of the quotation marks here, of course.

(...note, when I first posted this answer I had typed in the actual entry, but it didn't show those characters after I had entered it, and so I had to "spell it out" for you)

• LonesomePolecat likes this

#102 LonesomePolecat

LonesomePolecat

Garsh!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,984 posts
  • LocationLA, CA

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:20 AM

Awesome. Now how do you embed a video?

#103 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,950 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:58 PM

This method is termed: hotlinking. 

I prefer to copy to my computer and transfer to an on-line host because when you hotlink then the image could be changed and its replacement will appear in your post rather than what you meant to post.

My Avatar: Little girl ghost from "義足のMoses"

Russian nesting dolls are full of themselves.

#104 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:51 PM

... Is there any way to make these pics come up horizontally? I put them in my signature horizontally, they come up vertically. If no, I will delete them. TIA.

I use my Microsoft Paint program (everyone running Microsoft should have this). I copy or capture each one separately and save - it automatically saves to my Pictures/Screenshot/Captures folder. Then I open a Paint window and paste each one side-by-side. Then save that group as a single pic. Then post that pic here.

I sure miss the old way of just running all the URLs end-to-end in the same message line 8^<

f3w0bb.jpg

FdX2C0H.gif

#105 primosprimos

primosprimos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:45 PM

2poaxkx.png    dhfpd1.png      szwod3.png

I posted these images side by side when I composed it.  Now they line up vertically.  Can't account for it.

Yes, that's it, slayton. I notice it happens with emoticons, and with photos as well.

#106 slaytonf

slaytonf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,811 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:30 PM

2poaxkx.png    dhfpd1.png      szwod3.png

I posted these images side by side when I composed it.  Now they line up vertically.  Can't account for it.

#107 slaytonf

slaytonf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,811 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:02 PM

Hah!

slayton, you've created a monster!-------------sorry. Is there any way to make these pics come up horizontally? I put them in my signature horizontally, they come up vertically. If no, I will delete them. TIA.

I don't know what you mean by horizontally.

Oh, do you mean side to side, going across the page?

#108 primosprimos

primosprimos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:15 PM

Hah!

slayton, you've created a monster!-------------sorry. Is there any way to make these pics come up horizontally? I put them in my signature horizontally, they come up vertically. If no, I will delete them. TIA.

I guess no one has the answer to my question. NP, one picture of my future husband Warren William is as good as five.

#109 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,484 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 06:46 PM

Why is this thread "pinned"/ I feel like I'm back at my college fraternity.

"Did someone say 'college fraternity'?"

animal_house-toga-party.jpg

(...TOGA...TOGA...TOGA!!!)  

#110 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hah!

Why is this thread "pinned"/ I feel like I'm back at my college fraternity.

#111 primosprimos

primosprimos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:01 PM

Yeah, and now allow ME to try a photo in a similar vein here, primos...

snidely.jpg

LOL

(...sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

Hah!

#112 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,484 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:55 AM

Yeah, and now allow ME to try a photo in a similar vein here, primos...

snidely.jpg

LOL

(...sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

#113 primosprimos

primosprimos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:49 AM

Hah...thanks slayton, this post is for Pasting Photos For Dummies, i.e., me. Let's see if this works.

Warren-William-Mouthpiece-130x130.jpg

Wow, color me dumb. I kept using, over and over, COPY IMAGE, instead of Copy Image Location - I don't have Copy Image Address.

warren-william-smokes-130x130.jpg

Is he beautiful, or what?

:)

Thanks again!

#114 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,551 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:12 AM

Right-- this is very basic, very self-explanatory. Instead of using pull-down menus-- I usually go to Google Images, find what I want, then highlight everything in the browser, and press Command-C (for copy). When I get back to this website I do the rest of what Slayton says, using Command-V (for paste).

One thing we may want to add is that if you are inserting a pic in the middle of text (like between paragraphs) you will have to press the Return (Enter) key to separate the photo from the surrounding text or else it all runs together.

And an extra tip-- sometimes when I take something from Google Images, I crop it and resave it, then add it as new media on a page on one of my blogs. That becomes the address I copy and paste into my posts here at TCM City. Why do I do that? So that I can rename the picture under something I might remember more easily. And so I know a long time from now, my images will still be here, and there will be no hot-linking problems. It is all coming from my website, not some other website. I've done that with every photo in the 'It Happened on This Day' thread, because my intention is that the contents of that thread will survive a nuclear winter.

Can you tell I'm a control freak-- even when it comes to photos? LOL :)

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#115 TCMModerator1

TCMModerator1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 378 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:27 AM

Adding this as a pinned or sticky.

Thanks to slaytonf!

#116 slaytonf

slaytonf

Advanced Member

• Members