We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Wanted: Dead or Alive & Death Valley Days come to Encore

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,025 posts
  • LocationThe Phantom Zone

Posted 26 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

On Tuesday afternoon one of the Wells Fargo episodes was written by L. Ron Hubbard.  Shocked, I went to Wiki and learned he had a long history of writing movie scripts.  This is the only TV credit I've ever seen for him.   Anybody know of more?

The Wells Fargo episode is the only TV credit listed on IMDb. There are many other credits listed but they seem to all be for Scientology videos.

• rayban likes this

#2 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

On Tuesday afternoon one of the Wells Fargo episodes was written by L. Ron Hubbard.  Shocked, I went to Wiki and learned he had a long history of writing movie scripts.  This is the only TV credit I've ever seen for him.   Anybody know of more?

• rayban likes this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,961 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:31 AM

I think some cable listings now show it as StarzWesterns.  For some reason Starz is downplaying the Encore part of it.  Have seen it listed as StarzEncoreWesterns, but that is kind of long for cable listings.

Yes, they're kind of connected somehow. 

When I created this thread, they weren't downplaying the Encore part of it. In fact they had just updated the Encore logo.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

Just before the Wells Fargo shows came on there was an episode of Death Valley Days I caught the end of.  Then Ronald Reagan stated that the lawman he'd played joined WF and was an investigator for thirty odd years using many innovative methods adapted by other law enforcement agencies.  It seems Jim Hardie had a real life counterpart.  

• rayban likes this

#5 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:07 PM

I think some cable listings now show it as StarzWesterns.  For some reason Starz is downplaying the Encore part of it.  Have seen it listed as StarzEncoreWesterns, but that is kind of long for cable listings.

#6 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:58 PM

Most, maybe all, of these shows have been around for quite a while on one network or another.  Grit, MeTV, GetTV, Cozi and others.

Suggest you visit their websites and see what shows they have and when.  Grit does a lot of westerns and GetTV does on the week-ends.

Most are available on cable and all are available via antenna.

Gene Autry has returned to Encore as well after an abscence.  Used to be on every Sunday at Noon, as well as other times.  Now on more often.

• TopBilled likes this

#7 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

Yipee!  Today we finally start getting Tales of Wells Fargo.  Two episodes are starting in a few minutes.  Dale Robertson plays "Jim Hardie"  a detective for the agency whose job is to keep the stages running and the money being transferred get where it's supposed to.  Of course all manner of desperadoes are equally determined to keep this from happening so it's a battle of wits and lead to see who wins and how.  It ran from the 56-57 to the 60-61 or 61-62 seasons with all but the last in half-hour black and white shows.  I know it went to an hour at the end, which ruined it, and I think to color.  I've been waiting for this for quite a while; would you believe the theme is running through my mind after all these years? 

P. S. Guess what my bank is although this came about because of a merger and not my choice? 

• TopBilled likes this

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,961 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:34 PM

No, they've about finished with Season 1.  The McIntire-Fuller ones went a few months back.  Of course with all the commercial cuts you don't see all of it anyway.  That's the great thing about Encore, you get it all and at one sitting.

Yes...and for anyone recording the episodes, it's even better.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#9 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

Oh, I'm so glad to hear this. I love Wagon Train. I'd also like to see them bring back The Virginian. 

Probably the episodes of WT on Me-TV will continue running, because those are the later ones with John McIntire. The Ward Bond shows are part of a different syndication package. 

No, they've about finished with Season 1.  The McIntire-Fuller ones went a few months back.  Of course with all the commercial cuts you don't see all of it anyway.  That's the great thing about Encore, you get it all and at one sitting.

• TopBilled likes this

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,961 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:42 PM

It's running on Encore Westerns again.  They're not cutting any shows on now, just running one episode each rather than two of some.  MeTv  has been running it on Saturday morning; I'm not certain if that will keep up after New Year's Day.

Oh, I'm so glad to hear this. I love Wagon Train. I'd also like to see them bring back The Virginian. 

Probably the episodes of WT on Me-TV will continue running, because those are the later ones with John McIntire. The Ward Bond shows are part of a different syndication package. 

#11 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:45 AM

I didn't realize Wagon Train was coming back. On which channel? The Ward Bond seasons aired straight through (without commercials) on Encore a few years ago.

It's running on Encore Westerns again.  They're not cutting any shows on now, just running one episode each rather than two of some.  MeTv  has been running it on Saturday morning; I'm not certain if that will keep up after New Year's Day.

• TopBilled likes this

#12 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,961 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:21 PM

Well it looks like I'm finally getting my wish on New Year's day. Encore Westerns is running 36 episodes of the original b&w 50's Death Valley Days with Stanley "The Old Ranger" Andrews.  I don't imagine we'll see Rosemary de Camp doing Boraxo commercials.  I'm usually glued to the set for the Twilight Zone marathon that day but this rates over that one.  They're also starting the original Wagon Train up next year.  Might I still hope for Tales of Wells Fargo?

I didn't realize Wagon Train was coming back. On which channel? The Ward Bond seasons aired straight through (without commercials) on Encore a few years ago.

#13 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:18 PM

Well it looks like I'm finally getting my wish on New Year's day. Encore Westerns is running 36 episodes of the original b&w 50's Death Valley Days with Stanley "The Old Ranger" Andrews.  I don't imagine we'll see Rosemary de Camp doing Boraxo commercials.  I'm usually glued to the set for the Twilight Zone marathon that day but this rates over that one.  They're also starting the original Wagon Train up next year.  Might I still hope for Tales of Wells Fargo?

• TopBilled likes this

#14 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,961 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:53 PM

Come July we will be getting Laramie; I don't know what show is leaving for it yet.  While I don't consider it one of the great TV Western series it did make a star out of Robert Fuller so for that I will tune in.  While I enjoyed his work on Emergency he was born to be a Western actor.  I thought you fellow posters would like a heads up, especially us ladies. 

Great! It's been a while since Laramie aired. I would like to see them bring back The Virginian, which is my most favorite of the 60s TV westerns.

#15 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:08 PM

Come July we will be getting Laramie; I don't know what show is leaving for it yet.  While I don't consider it one of the great TV Western series it did make a star out of Robert Fuller so for that I will tune in.  While I enjoyed his work on Emergency he was born to be a Western actor.  I thought you fellow posters would like a heads up, especially us ladies. 

• TopBilled likes this

#16 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,961 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

I got back into town yesterday and caught the two DVD episodes that were on that evening.  One was a b&w from '59 and a color from the 60's both with "The Old Ranger" rather than the future POTUS or other hosts.  I also caught one this morning with George Gobel; did that ever take me back to the days!  They were okay but I'd still like for them to go back to the first ones.  I'll take these as "half a glass".

I was surprised to see the introduction with the 20-mule team and wagon was intact.  The show was sponsored by a company that made household cleaners 20-Mule Team Borax and Boraxo with Rosemary de Camp as their spokeswoman.  One season she was pregnant and visibly showing at its end.  The following one she introduced us to her baby daughter, Anita Louise-I don't know if she was named for the movie star or not.  This is how I best remember her. 

The first Death Valley Days episode broadcast on January 2nd was a black-and-white episode from 1960. Then they jumped ahead to 1962 and 1963, where I imagine they were all filmed in color. After 1963, the Old Ranger guy was dropped as the host. Most of the ones we will see are likely going to be ones hosted by Ronald Reagan and Robert Taylor.

I watched the one with Keenan Wynn, which wasn't too bad. Television was produced a lot differently then, compared to now.

#17 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:51 PM

I got back into town yesterday and caught the two DVD episodes that were on that evening.  One was a b&w from '59 and a color from the 60's both with "The Old Ranger" rather than the future POTUS or other hosts.  I also caught one this morning with George Gobel; did that ever take me back to the days!  They were okay but I'd still like for them to go back to the first ones.  I'll take these as "half a glass".

I was surprised to see the introduction with the 20-mule team and wagon was intact.  The show was sponsored by a company that made household cleaners 20-Mule Team Borax and Boraxo with Rosemary de Camp as their spokeswoman.  One season she was pregnant and visibly showing at its end.  The following one she introduced us to her baby daughter, Anita Louise-I don't know if she was named for the movie star or not.  This is how I best remember her. 

The Texan didn't run all that long so it might not be in syndication.  It was good but I think people knew that the real Bill Longley ended up hanging for murder so maybe this nice version of him didn't set well with viewers.  I remember Rory Calhoun doing commercials in costume for the cigarette company that sponsored the show, something about a "smoking man's pleasure and a thinking man's taste".  Yikes!

• TopBilled likes this

#18 STARRY1181@YAHOO.COM

STARRY1181@YAHOO.COM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:35 PM

Yes also if we could get "The Texan" with Rory Calhoun and the "High Chapperal" now that would be a great addition to the line up. Or if MeTv would show them on Saturdays. Hmmm nice. But I will take what I can get.

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,961 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:13 AM

Ouch, we've been had!  I was expecting the original 50's b&w Death Valley Days with Stanley "The Old Ranger" Andrews as the host.  These were the ones repackaged with Dale Robertson, Robert Taylor and Ronald Reagan hosting.  I'll give these newer ones a look but the trailer doesn't seem to have the grit and honestly of those originals; just color which is great for Westerns but not if there's no cake under the frosting.  A real letdown!

I'm there are plenty of fans of the later episodes. I'm looking forward to seeing them!

#20 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:25 PM

Ouch, we've been had!  I was expecting the original 50's b&w Death Valley Days with Stanley "The Old Ranger" Andrews as the host.  These were the ones repackaged with Dale Robertson, Robert Taylor and Ronald Reagan hosting.  I'll give these newer ones a look but the trailer doesn't seem to have the grit and honestly of those originals; just color which is great for Westerns but not if there's no cake under the frosting.  A real letdown!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users