We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Great Christmas films!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:51 PM

What would life be like without Christmas time in Connecticut...I don't even want to know.

Me neither! I love the clever dialogue, the wonderful snow scenes, and best of all Barbara and
Dennis Morgan in this film. S. Z. Sakall and Reginald Gardiner were great fun in it too.
  • TopBilled likes this

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:30 AM

Thanks for the great list. December will have a lot neat things for us to enjoy!

What would life be like without Christmas time in Connecticut...I don't even want to know.

• MCannady1 likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:14 PM

There will be many Christmas classics on TCM in December 2016.

December 1st:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-29%2Bat%2B2.11.0

December 12th:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-29%2Bat%2B2.11.3

December 15th:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-29%2Bat%2B2.11.5

December 22nd:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-29%2Bat%2B2.10.1

December 24th:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-29%2Bat%2B2.20.5

December 25th:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-29%2Bat%2B2.21.0

Thanks for the great list. December will have a lot neat things for us to enjoy!
  • TopBilled likes this

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:21 PM

There will be many Christmas classics on TCM in December 2016.

December 1st:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-29%2Bat%2B2.11.0

December 12th:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-29%2Bat%2B2.11.3

December 15th:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-29%2Bat%2B2.11.5

December 22nd:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-29%2Bat%2B2.10.1

December 24th:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-29%2Bat%2B2.20.5

December 25th:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-29%2Bat%2B2.21.0

• MCannady1 likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:28 PM

We're still waiting for the December schedule information. Hopefully we'll know soon which holiday films will be airing.

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:50 PM

That sounds great with the remake of Witness, though noone could replace Charles, Tyrone, or Marlene and Elsa, come to that. I would like to catch a remake of that film too.

Deborah Kerr had Elsa Lanchester's role as the nurse, and I thought she was very good. Beau Bridges played Tyrone Power's part; and Diana Rigg took over for Marlene Dietrich.

#7 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:40 PM

I love British films from this period of film history. I haven't heard of THE TECKMAN MYSTERY either. So I have a few to locate and watch. Early this morning I looked at a remake of Agatha Christie's WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION which had Ralph Richardson in the Charles Laughton role.

That sounds great with the remake of Witness, though noone could replace Charles, Tyrone, or Marlene and Elsa, come to that. I would like to catch a remake of that film too.
  • TopBilled likes this

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:50 PM

DeHavilland film, The Screaming Woman. I think Olivia could have gone on to more films. She was certainly a strong figure in Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte.in the early 60's. A decade later she was in this good tele film.,

Yeah, she could have kept right on going. She retired too soon.

• MCannady1 likes this

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:49 PM

Hi Jarrod, It is one of those Christmas movies we do not hear much about. Our British film Christmas repertoire usually includes A Chrisimas Carol and the others on our usual lists. But sometimes we learn of another poignant and heartwarming film like this one. I had never heard of it either until the day I sat down to watch it. A friend who also collects British films gave me the VHS. Here is where I first saw Celia Johnson - and led to me watching Brief Encounter. Margaret Leighton was great here and it led me to watch a great (set in war-time England) murder mystery at a defense plant called The Teckman Mystery. So it is an added bonus when you enjoy a film and find the stars and co-stars are in other promising films.
Hugh Williams and Ralph Richardson are two other favorites here.

I love British films from this period of film history. I haven't heard of THE TECKMAN MYSTERY either. So I have a few to locate and watch. Early this morning I looked at a remake of Agatha Christie's WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION which had Ralph Richardson in the Charles Laughton role. 

• MCannady1 likes this

#10 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:35 PM

And Richard Egan was Stanwyck's leading man. It wasn't too bad. 

The DeHavilland telefilm is great. I think Joseph Cotten is in it, also. Very suspenseful.

Yes, I had forgotten Richard Egan was the leading Man in Barbara's film. He was great too in A Summer Place as Sandra Dee's dad..
I too like the suspenseful
DeHavilland film, The Screaming Woman. I think Olivia could have gone on to more films. She was certainly a strong figure in Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte.in the early 60's. A decade later she was in this good tele film.,
  • TopBilled likes this

#11 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:28 PM

I've never heard of THE HOLLY AND THE IVY, Janet. I will have to read up on it. Looks like a splendid cast!

holly.jpg

Hi Jarrod, It is one of those Christmas movies we do not hear much about. Our British film Christmas repertoire usually includes A Chrisimas Carol and the others on our usual lists. But sometimes we learn of another poignant and heartwarming film like this one. I had never heard of it either until the day I sat down to watch it. A friend who also collects British films gave me the VHS. Here is where I first saw Celia Johnson - and led to me watching Brief Encounter. Margaret Leighton was great here and it led me to watch a great (set in war-time England) murder mystery at a defense plant called The Teckman Mystery. So it is an added bonus when you enjoy a film and find the stars and co-stars are in other promising films.
Hugh Williams and Ralph Richardson are two other favorites here.
  • TopBilled likes this

#12 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:17 PM

Thank you. I like the tele films of the 70's too. I did see this one years ago and it was pretty scary. I think Barbara was the mom and Joan Hackett the daughter. Talk ab loout an evil parent! Won't spoil it for those that have not seen it. Very well done with a strange punch line..lol

It is nice to see our favorite actresses in later TV films - Olivia DeHavilland in The Screaming Woman, etc.

And Richard Egan was Stanwyck's leading man. It wasn't too bad. 

The DeHavilland telefilm is great. I think Joseph Cotten is in it, also. Very suspenseful.

• MCannady1 likes this

#13 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:11 PM

If you liked NIGHT WALKER, you should check out one of the 70s telefilms, THE HOUSE THAT WOULDN'T DIE-- it's on YouTube, or at least it was a month ago when I watched it. Most of the old Hollywood actresses were doing horror flicks at the end of their movie careers.

Thank you. I like the tele films of the 70's too. I did see this one years ago and it was pretty scary. I think Barbara was the mom and Joan Hackett the daughter. Talk ab loout an evil parent! Won't spoil it for those that have not seen it. Very well done with a strange punch line..lol

It is nice to see our favorite actresses in later TV films - Olivia DeHavilland in The Screaming Woman, etc.
  • TopBilled likes this

#14 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:20 AM

Good wish list of all of them. I like some others that seldom air; The Holly and the Ivy and Beyond Tomorrow. Both of these evoke the Christmas spirit and have romance and pathos. Another favorite we do see aired often is The Bishop's Wife. I have seen it a number of times and it never fails to cheer us up come holiday time.

I've never heard of THE HOLLY AND THE IVY, Janet. I will have to read up on it. Looks like a splendid cast!

holly.jpg

• MCannady1 likes this

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:17 AM

Such a vressatile actress! She does seem like a different lady from the actress of the tele-films of the 70's or The Big Valley. Every performance is unique and outstanding, whether it is The Lady Eve, Christmas in Connecticut, or serious films like Jeopardy or Sorry, Wrong Number. What a wide range of characters and roles over the years, Most surprising of all was her role in The Thornbirds. As usual, Barbara carried it off with great aplomb. Which reminds me - Last night I watched a 60's Barbara film I had not seen in years; The Night Walker. Barbara was great there as the frightened lady.

If you liked NIGHT WALKER, you should check out one of the 70s telefilms, THE HOUSE THAT WOULDN'T DIE-- it's on YouTube, or at least it was a month ago when I watched it. Most of the old Hollywood actresses were doing horror flicks at the end of their movie careers.

• MCannady1 likes this

#16 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:41 PM

Well, Stanwyck is good in these holiday films. LOL

I am posting my column about her in the Today's Topic thread next week.

Looking forward to your post!
  • TopBilled likes this

#17 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:39 PM

Lot of years in between those productions. She had changed quite a bit by the mid-60s. Not long ago I watched three telefilms she did for Aaron Spelling in the early 70s, and she's different in those.

Such a vressatile actress! She does seem like a different lady from the actress of the tele-films of the 70's or The Big Valley. Every performance is unique and outstanding, whether it is The Lady Eve, Christmas in Connecticut, or serious films like Jeopardy or Sorry, Wrong Number. What a wide range of characters and roles over the years, Most surprising of all was her role in The Thornbirds. As usual, Barbara carried it off with great aplomb. Which reminds me - Last night I watched a 60's Barbara film I had not seen in years; The Night Walker. Barbara was great there as the frightened lady.
  • TopBilled likes this

#18 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:27 PM

We should be getting the December schedule information within the next week. I'm curious to see which holiday films will be airing. Some of them are no-brainers, like the two LITTLE WOMEN movies...those are ones TCM will broadcast without fail.

But here's my wish list of other titles I'd like to see:

CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT
REMEMBER THE NIGHT
CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY
A CHRISTMAS CAROL with Alastair Sim
THE CHEATERS

Good wish list of all of them. I like some others that seldom air; The Holly and the Ivy and Beyond Tomorrow. Both of these evoke the Christmas spirit and have romance and pathos. Another favorite we do see aired often is The Bishop's Wife. I have seen it a number of times and it never fails to cheer us up come holiday time.
  • TopBilled likes this

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 05:40 PM

Watching her in "The Lady Eve" recently and "The Big Valley" yesterday, she seems like a totally different woman.

Lot of years in between those productions. She had changed quite a bit by the mid-60s. Not long ago I watched three telefilms she did for Aaron Spelling in the early 70s, and she's different in those. 

• MCannady1 likes this

#20 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:29 PM

Well, Stanwyck is good in these holiday films. LOL

I am posting my column about her in the Today's Topic thread next week. 

Watching her in "The Lady Eve" recently and "The Big Valley" yesterday, she seems like a totally different woman.

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users