We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Great Christmas films!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,955 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:37 AM

There are many Christmas movies that I love, but two at the top of my list would be two wonderful Stanwyck movies.  "Christmas in Connecticut" is great with lots of heart and humor.  And "Remember the Night" is absolutely wonderful.  It's sentimental, but entirely believable.  Stanwyck at her best.

#42 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:18 PM

Around Thanksgiving every year I like to start thinking of my favorite Christmas films.

I think A Christmas Carol '51 was a terrific film.  It is very atmospheric.  Alistair Sim is marvelous as the character he portrays!  I spotted a lot of British "newbies" who were already displaying future talent in films -; Patrick MacNee, Eleanor Summerfield, Carol Marsh.  Mervyn Johns and Hermoine Baddely were superb as the Cratchit parents.

A Christmas Carol 1938 version is wonderful too.  I loved Reginald Owen and all of the people in the story.  The Lockhart family; Gene, Kathleen, and even June (a child star at the time) gave a great performance.. The special effects are just wonderful.  Ann Rutherford is angelicly beautiful  as the Ghost of Christmas Past who is flying through the sky with Scrooge.  An hour glass ticks on in the background.

A Christmas Carol 1984  -  This version is a beautifully done rendition of the story.  The Christmas Carols - A Coventry Carol, I Saw Three Ships Come Sailing, are wonderful and add a touching and lyrical atmosphere to the story.  I found George C, Scott a unique and wonderful Scrooge. The color snow scenes are quite beautiful too.

Another sentimental film of note is Beyond Tomorrow; 1940.  I first viewed this film a few years ago and was very impressed.  The opening music is heavenly and very touching. The story is a real tear-jerker.  Charles Winniger, Jean Parker, C. Aubrey Smith, Maria Ouspenskaya, RIchad Carlson, Helen Vinson all give wonderful performances.

The Lemon Drop Kid,  1951 -  Though a comedy, this is a sentimental Christmas film of note.  Bob Hope, Marilyn Maxwell, Lloyd Nolan, etc. all turned in great performances.  Some of the scenes are hillarious as Bob Hope battles to raise "10 grand" by Christmas Eve to save himself from gangsters.  The scene in the department store window is not to be missed, or the one where Bob dresses like a woman and pretends to romance Lloyd Nolan, the gangster.

Many films were enhanced with Christmas scenes in the background; 

Curse of the Cat People, '44 - Ann Carter's parents are enjoying carolers and snow until they discover that she is lost.  The ending is bittersweet, as the child's new friend is very ill with a bad heart. 

The Brighton Strangler,  '44  -  John Loder gives a very convincing and scary performance outside, as a family enjoys the warmth of a fireside and a Christmas Tree resplendent with ornaments and ligthts.

****************

AS you can guess, I don't have snow here, so I can only imagine.  California is lucky to have rain on Christmas Eve.  Still the most important thing is that we are all together on Christmas Day.

Yea,  we could use the rain here in So Cal  (south OC).    As for favorite Christmas movies,  mine is The Bishop Wife.   I feel it has a nice message without being too pushy and with a good sense of humor.    

#43 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:59 PM

Around Thanksgiving every year I like to start thinking of my favorite Christmas films.

I think A Christmas Carol '51 was a terrific film.  It is very atmospheric.  Alistair Sim is marvelous as the character he portrays!  I spotted a lot of British "newbies" who were already displaying future talent in films -; Patrick MacNee, Eleanor Summerfield, Carol Marsh.  Mervyn Johns and Hermoine Baddely were superb as the Cratchit parents.

A Christmas Carol 1938 version is wonderful too.  I loved Reginald Owen and all of the people in the story.  The Lockhart family; Gene, Kathleen, and even June (a child star at the time) gave a great performance.. The special effects are just wonderful.  Ann Rutherford is angelicly beautiful  as the Ghost of Christmas Past who is flying through the sky with Scrooge.  An hour glass ticks on in the background.

A Christmas Carol 1984  -  This version is a beautifully done rendition of the story.  The Christmas Carols - A Coventry Carol, I Saw Three Ships Come Sailing, are wonderful and add a touching and lyrical atmosphere to the story.  I found George C, Scott a unique and wonderful Scrooge. The color snow scenes are quite beautiful too.

Another sentimental film of note is Beyond Tomorrow; 1940.  I first viewed this film a few years ago and was very impressed.  The opening music is heavenly and very touching. The story is a real tear-jerker.  Charles Winniger, Jean Parker, C. Aubrey Smith, Maria Ouspenskaya, RIchad Carlson, Helen Vinson all give wonderful performances.

The Lemon Drop Kid,  1951 -  Though a comedy, this is a sentimental Christmas film of note.  Bob Hope, Marilyn Maxwell, Lloyd Nolan, etc. all turned in great performances.  Some of the scenes are hillarious as Bob Hope battles to raise "10 grand" by Christmas Eve to save himself from gangsters.  The scene in the department store window is not to be missed, or the one where Bob dresses like a woman and pretends to romance Lloyd Nolan, the gangster.

Many films were enhanced with Christmas scenes in the background; 

Curse of the Cat People, '44 - Ann Carter's parents are enjoying carolers and snow until they discover that she is lost.  The ending is bittersweet, as the child's new friend is very ill with a bad heart. 

The Brighton Strangler,  '44  -  John Loder gives a very convincing and scary performance outside, as a family enjoys the warmth of a fireside and a Christmas Tree resplendent with ornaments and ligthts.

****************

AS you can guess, I don't have snow here, so I can only imagine.  California is lucky to have rain on Christmas Eve.  Still the most important thing is that we are all together on Christmas Day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users