We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

2014 In Memoriam programming

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Defenestrator

Defenestrator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:38 AM

TCM always has one of the best memoriam reels each year, although there are always going to be omissions, this year a few coming to mind including Patrice Wymore, Tom Adams, and Jeremy Lloyd who is seen in that wonderful moment in tonight's showing of "A Hard Day's Night" dancing and jumping high next to Ringo in the disco scene, Mr. Lloyd having just passed away over a week ago (having gone on to become a legendary TV writer particularly of Britcoms), and there are always the mainly TV people deemed to be without enough association with theatrical films to be included every year, this time including Ken Weatherwax, Ann B. Davis and Dave Madden (although the latter two did have "Lover Come Back" for Davis, and "Charlotte's Web" and "Eat My Dust" for Madden).

But the omission that disappoints me the most this year is Ed Nelson, who seems to be excluded from every memoriam tribute this year. Despite Ryan O'Neal and Mia Farrow having gone on to become the top movie stars to come from "Peyton Place," Ed Nelson was for any fan of the series the definitive star of that great show having appeared in every episode from the very first scene set on a train to the last one in a prison cell. As the moral center of that series, Nelson's Dr. Michael Rossi became one of my favorite characters, and I believe I took his performance to heart to the degree where I emulate him in considering matters of conscience.

But Nelson also was a major staple of the early films of Roger Corman, including "Attack of the Crab Monsters", "Invasion of the Saucer Men" "Night of the Blood Beast", "The Devil's Partner" and "The Brain Eaters" (opposite Leonard Nimoy in one of his first appearances as an alien being), as well as "Cry Baby Killer" opposite Jack Nicholson starring in his first film. And he also finally did get into big movies in his own small way, in "Airport 1975" as the ill-fated first pilot trying to transfer to the damaged plane before Charlton Heston has better luck achieving the stunt, as well as "Midway" again with Heston, playing an officer who does Chuck the favor of allowing his Navy son to marry a Japanese bride in the wake of the attack on Pearl Harbor. And some other big movies he could be seen in in very small roles included "Elmer Gantry", "Judgment at Nuremberg" and "Soldier in the Rain".

He was surely a TV actor primarily, one who should be revered as a legend in that regard, but as I expect the Emmys and Golden Globes to exclude him as they are always the worst offenders of forgetting people, I was hoping TCM would make a point of remembering him.

#2 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:16 PM

For Gordon Willis's 'Memoriam' I'd have shown 'WINDOWS' (1980) instead of 'The Paper Chase'.   

Everyone on here should see WINDOWS once and it would've been a perfect time for TCM to air it.  The juxtaposition between the beautiful cinematography, the Ennio Morricone music and the lunatic script is really quite amazing.  This is the kind of movie whose 'results' couldn't be duplicated even if you tried.  

*** HERE BE A SPOILER (sort of) *** ► Who wants a piece of frozen puddy tat for dinner?   

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

The programmers goofed this up slightly. ZELIG is listed in the article, but it has since been replaced on the schedule by another Willis film, THE PAPER CHASE.

Okay, thanks. I will go back and fix the original post.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:13 PM

The programmers goofed this up slightly. ZELIG is listed in the article, but it has since been replaced on the schedule by another Willis film, THE PAPER CHASE.

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:46 AM

The 2014 honorees are:

Maximilian Schell, with a screening of TOPKAPI. Schell died on February 1 at age 83.

Juanita Moore, with a screening of IMITATION OF LIFE. Moore died on January 1 at age 99.

Elaine Stritch, with a screening of KISS HER GOODBYE. Stritch died on July 17 at age 89.

Robin Williams, with a screening of GOOD WILL HUNTING. Williams died on August 11 at age 63.

Philip Seymour Hoffman, with a screening of DOUBT. Hoffman died on February 2 at age 46.

Director Alain Resnais, with a screening of MON ONCLE D'AMERIQUE. Resnais died on March 1 at age 91.

Cinematographer Gordon Willis, with a screening of THE PAPER CHASE. Willis died on May 18 at age 82.

Richard Attenborough, with a screening of BRIGHTON ROCK. Attenborough died on August 24 at age 90.

Airdate: December 30, 2014 on TCM.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users