We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Matchmaker, Matchmaker...!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,031 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:13 AM

And wholesome. Wholesomeness in and of itself isn't anything to recommend a movie, but when combined with a script and performances like these, it's bliss to watch. Tony Perkins, Shirley MacLaine and Robert Morse were fairly new faces at the time and all had charm to spare. Shirley Booth was incomparable and I'll take Paul Ford over Walter Matthau any day.

As much as I like Walter Matthau, I agree that Paul Ford has the edge over him in this role. I think Matthau tends to go off into parody too much while Ford manages to keep the character human.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:48 AM

THE MATCHMAKER with Shirley Booth is returning to Retroplex in January. I was happy to see it back on the schedule. What a great, fun piece of entertainment.

And wholesome. Wholesomeness in and of itself isn't anything to recommend a movie, but when combined with a script and performances like these, it's bliss to watch. Tony Perkins, Shirley MacLaine and Robert Morse were fairly new faces at the time and all had charm to spare. Shirley Booth was incomparable and I'll take Paul Ford over Walter Matthau any day.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,031 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:22 PM

Reminder--

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-17%2Bat%2B1.08.1

THE MATCHMAKER will be airing on Retroplex this month. 

January 21st

Don't miss it!

Airing tomorrow. 

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,031 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

Reminder--

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-17%2Bat%2B1.08.1

THE MATCHMAKER will be airing on Retroplex this month. 

January 11th

January 21st

Don't miss it!

• rayban likes this

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,031 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:13 PM

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-17%2Bat%2B1.07.4

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-17%2Bat%2B1.08.0

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,031 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:41 PM

THE MATCHMAKER with Shirley Booth is returning to Retroplex in January. I was happy to see it back on the schedule. What a great, fun piece of entertainment.

• rayban likes this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,031 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:37 PM

Another Jane Austen , "Emma", would be perfect, as would the modern twist on "Emma", "Clueless". Emma trips all over herself trying to make a match for the aquaintance who has become her latest "project". Another good one would be "For Love or Money" (1963), which TCM finally showed not too long ago. Thelma Ritter does the matchmaking, playing a San Francisco socialite with three young adult daughters who hires an attorney (Kirk Douglas) to match them up with her handpicked suitors. It's very cute in a 60's sex comedy kind of way. The kicker is that Thelma has planned to have the attorney fall in love with one of the daughters himself.

I am not sure if EMMA has aired on TCM. There is another EMMA, starring Marie Dressler, which is quite different.

• rayban likes this

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,031 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:39 AM

Another good one would be "For Love or Money" (1963), which TCM finally showed not too long ago. Thelma Ritter does the matchmaking, playing a San Francisco socialite with three young adult daughters who hires an attorney (Kirk Douglas) to match them up with her handpicked suitors. It's very cute in a 60's sex comedy kind of way. The kicker is that Thelma has planned to have the attorney fall in love with one of the daughters himself.

I was glad to see FOR LOVE OR MONEY on TCM last August for Thelma Ritter's day. Hope it turns up again!

• rayban likes this

#9 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:41 AM

Another Jane Austen , "Emma", would be perfect, as would the modern twist on "Emma", "Clueless". Emma trips all over herself trying to make a match for the aquaintance who has become her latest "project". Another good one would be "For Love or Money" (1963), which TCM finally showed not too long ago. Thelma Ritter does the matchmaking, playing a San Francisco socialite with three young adult daughters who hires an attorney (Kirk Douglas) to match them up with her handpicked suitors. It's very cute in a 60's sex comedy kind of way. The kicker is that Thelma has planned to have the attorney fall in love with one of the daughters himself.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,031 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:47 PM

I think PRIDE AND PREJUDICE would also work under this theme...

• rayban likes this

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,031 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:13 AM

Don't you love movies about matchmakers?  I sure do! It's certainly not romance in the most conventional sense, is it?

imgres49.jpg

I think it would be great if TCM had an evening spotlight about this subject.  I would include:

THE MODEL AND THE MARRIAGE BROKER...with Thelma Ritter & Jeanne Crain

THE MATCHMAKER...with Shirley Booth & Shirley MacLaine

HELLO, DOLLY!...the musical remake of The Matchmaker, starring Barbra Streisand

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF

• rayban likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users